G73Jh on Windows 8 Hard Freezing

ThunderPumpkin

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
OK, so, my ASUS G73 that I've owned for 3 years now is causing me some problems. I recently upgraded it to Windows 8 and got all my drivers and everything sorted out, which was not exactly a small task because ASUS "recommends Windows 8," but will not provide Windows 8 drivers for this laptop :lol:.

The problem I am having is that I will be using my laptop and everything will be working fine, no hangs or anything, when it will stop functioning completely. I'm not able to move the mouse, press CTRL+ALT+DEL, ALT+F4, or anything, so my only option is to reluctantly hold the power button down because the freeze is terminal. The most telling characteristic of the freeze, though, is the looping sound that accompanies it; if I have any sounds playing, like I'm playing, listening to music, or watching a video, the last fraction of a second of the sound will loop indefinitely while my laptop is frozen, leading me to believe this error is related to the audio driver.

However, there seems to be no easy fix, like downloading the latest audio drivers from ASUS. I've been to this ASUS driver link many a time, and if there is a new Realtek driver, I download it in an instant, praying it solves the problem. Unfortunately, it never has, and neither have the Realtek drivers from the Realtek website.

Another issue is that there are no event logs to tell me what happened. I'll go into event viewer post-mortem, and the only reports are these bad boys:
■EventLog 6008: The previous system shutdown at 10:45:40 PM on ‎2/‎26/‎2013 was unexpected.
■Kernel-Power: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
■Eventlog 1101: Audit events have been dropped by the transport. 0
There are no errors before this or after this related to the crash. I'm getting Dhcp-Client errors, but those happen intermittently and are seemingly unrelated to the problem because, when they do happen, they can be hours before a crash happens.

All right, I feel like I've told you everything that's been going on. If anyone has any suggestions or outright solutions, I would love to hear them! Thanks ahead of time!

ajblaj

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013
I also had the same problem. After trying everything I could think of, the only thing left for me to do was to do a clean install (extremely annoying!).

This time around, instead of upgrading Windows 7, I installed Windows 8 on a separate partition. To date, it hasn't frozen (2 weeks and counting!).

The problem with doing this is what you already mentioned. Asus recommends Windows 8 but doesn't support it. I find this almost unbelievable. Now I'm having problems finding drivers and utilities, such as the driver for the Hotkeys. So while I'm not having the freezing issue, I'm unable to utilise the Fn key. It's definitely the lesser of the two evils, but not being able to turn on the lights behind the keyboard or change the volume inside a program is starting to irritate me.

ThunderPumpkin

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
I got all those initial problems solved because I had similar ones to you. I don't know if you had the looping audio issue, but if you did, I will try another clean install.

A couple quick things. Does your audio driver work? Have you tried plugging something into the audio jack? If so, does it play through the device in the audio jack, or is it through the laptop speakers? Because the default Windows 8 audio driver will not freeze, but I also don't get to use either earbuds or my speaker system.

Also, if you want your Fn key to work, the G75 and G73 are almost identical in terms of hardware. If you search for G75 drivers on the ASUS website and go to the utilities subsection, download the ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities. This will get your Fn key working just like new!

G

I have the same laptop with the same problem. Only workarounf I found is disabling the LAN card (Qualcomm Atheros AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30) ).

Since then no freeze

HassanMahmood

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2013

I suddenly had my PC start to randomly hard freeze on me - saw your post, disabled my LAN card, and it seems to be working again.

I really hope I didn't jinx myself by typing this - I know the G73 only too well in terms of issues cropping up just when you finally think you've got them sorted.

ChanPut

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
I am having the same exact issue. I have noticed that it only happens when using the web or trying to watch a video online. Not once has it frozen off the web. It leads me to think it has something to do with wireless card perhaps, I'm not sure though. And the LAN card (Qualcomm Atheros AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30) is the Ethernet port correct??

KyleJA1

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
Same God forsaken nonsense has been happening to me with my ACER laptop and I too have an atheros WLAN driver as well as a Bluetooth driver. Can somebody please tell me what the hell is up with Windows 8? I even tried resetting the laptop to it's factory settings twice and the problem still reappeared after a few hours - a day after reinstallation was complete.

Knaddy

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013

The solution for me was to install an older version (NDIS 6.20) of the Atheros 8131 LAN driver. No freezes anymore. Hope it's helpful for you too.

MarLab

Reputable
Mar 30, 2014

Would you please give a link or upload them?