auto compressor or program dependent compressor for vocal

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
January 13, 2005 8:53:10 PM

for vocal
does the appropriate release time of vocal compressor is constantly
changing even for recording only one track vocal?
therefore, should we use auto compressor or program depedent for
vocal..rather than static setting like rnc etc...?

and as for me who don't have the confidence to choosing appropriate
compressor setting
I am consider 1176ln (all ratios in mode for vocal)or la-2a or
distressor(also used in 1176ln all ratios in mode emulating mode)for
recording commercial vocal sound

then, I easily use my compressor without serious setting and the taken
vocal track is good?
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 11:10:27 PM

bj wrote:
> for vocal
> does the appropriate release time of vocal compressor is constantly
> changing even for recording only one track vocal?
> therefore, should we use auto compressor or program depedent for
> vocal..rather than static setting like rnc etc...?
>
> and as for me who don't have the confidence to choosing appropriate
> compressor setting
> I am consider 1176ln (all ratios in mode for vocal)or la-2a or
> distressor(also used in 1176ln all ratios in mode emulating mode)for
> recording commercial vocal sound
>
> then, I easily use my compressor without serious setting and the
taken
> vocal track is good?

If you are unsure of the settings needed for the
sound you want, I suggest you not compress going to track.
Use the effect coming back off the track going to mix.
That way you don't get something not to your liking,
and you can remix the clean track again.
This way you can experiment and learn without ruining
your vocal track, assuming it's a good take to start with.
'Auto' or 'program dependent' compression can be
appropriate for vocals.

rd
January 14, 2005 4:19:48 AM

In article <1c7c168a.0501131753.6019fb86@posting.google.com>, bj
<bluesjeon@hotmail.com> wrote:

> for vocal
> does the appropriate release time of vocal compressor is constantly
> changing even for recording only one track vocal?
> therefore, should we use auto compressor or program depedent for
> vocal..rather than static setting like rnc etc...?
>
> and as for me who don't have the confidence to choosing appropriate
> compressor setting
> I am consider 1176ln (all ratios in mode for vocal)or la-2a or
> distressor(also used in 1176ln all ratios in mode emulating mode)for
> recording commercial vocal sound
>
> then, I easily use my compressor without serious setting and the taken
> vocal track is good?

Sounds like you are new to compression. I would def not point you to an
1176 but to an inexpensive but likeable RNC. You need to get your feet
wet first. And even then you may even decide you don't need an 1176.

Recording someone singing a song and recording a voiceover have quite
different needs when it comes to nice vocal compression. I use a Urei
LA3 on singing, and a modified black Urei LA4 on voice over. I use my
1176 (Purple Audio version) for other stuff.

Save some $ and first get your feet wet with an RNC. You def won't
learn it all in a day. Or a month. Or a year. But you got to jump in
the water.

Compression is all about *listening*, and getting what *you* like.
Simple, eh? ;>

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island