Sign in with
Your question

BSOD... at random times does NOT happen under load.

Last response: in Windows 7
June 7, 2012 1:16:59 AM

Recently i have gotten a string of BSODs (6 or so) on my new home build. So far i have...

1. Ran memtest+ 15 hours no errors
2. Ran Prime 8 hours no crashes

upon using a app to view the dump files... they point to 2 things... 1. win32k.sys and 2. ntoskrnl.exe as the cause of the crash. can this be fixed? if so how?

Thanks for your time,

Jason
June 7, 2012 1:49:54 AM

Full hardware, software in use during crashes, operating system, and driver specifications, please. If I had to guess, your storage drive is faulty, but I'd like more info before asserting that as the problem for sure. You could run a Windows disk check and/or a S.M.A.R.T. check too.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 7, 2012 1:50:48 AM

check that the ram you have in or has been tested for the mb qal list. some memory will have an issue with some mb. if your mb is one of the newer one with 6xx or 7xx chipset check to see that the newest cpu and bios code is installed. on my asus mb the last bios was to help with ram compatibility. i would also run cpu-z and look at the ram speed your mb is using and then look at the spd info. sometime to get a system running right you have to use the xmp profile or change the ram timing or bump the voltage.if it not the ram try running hardware monitor and prime95 or intel burnin to see if the cpu is overheating or your having voltage issue with your power supply. if most of the crashes are with youtube and you have a nvidia video card go into flash and turn off hardware aselartion. it a know issue with newer gpu and flash.
m
l
Related resources
June 7, 2012 2:06:55 AM

System Specs:
Mobo: ASUS: Sabertooth z77
CPU: Intel i5 2500k (no overclock)
GPU: EVGA GTX560Ti 448
SSD: Ocz Vertex 4 (boot)
HDD: 500GB seagate drive (data)
RAM: PNY 16GB (4gbx4) (speeds set to 1333 and 1.5v, Default is 1.65v and 1600 speed) timings are 9-9-9-24
PSU: XFX 750watt 80+silver
Windows 7 Home (OEM)
Heatsink: cooleamaster hyper 212 evo

Software in use: Google Chrome, Spotify, Games...etc the crashes seem random.

All drivers should be up to date.

I don't think i'm overheating, ruing prime now and getting temps that range from 39-42 degrees C
m
l
June 7, 2012 4:42:56 AM

Test each RAM module independently. Sometimes, when you test more than one module, you don't run into problems even though there is a dead module. You're running that memory out of spec, so it might not be working properly.
m
l
June 7, 2012 1:14:47 PM

Ran a virus scan / spybot lately?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 7, 2012 3:56:38 PM

What was the BSOD error code? Can't help much without that.

Memtest86/Prime 95 seems to rule out the usual suspect [RAM] though...
m
l
June 7, 2012 4:23:07 PM

I had random BSODS on new rig, Prime 95 and every other stress test showed fine. Wiped the SSD and reinstalled WIN7. Still same problem.

I decided to change the memory, because it was the cheapest hardware to replace, went from 1333 PNY to Kensington 1600, and never had a problem since.

If it hadn't been the memory, my next suspect would have been the SSD.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 7, 2012 4:34:26 PM

jjd712 said:
Recently i have gotten a string of BSODs (6 or so) on my new home build. So far i have...

1. Ran memtest+ 15 hours no errors
2. Ran Prime 8 hours no crashes

upon using a app to view the dump files... they point to 2 things... 1. win32k.sys and 2. ntoskrnl.exe as the cause of the crash. can this be fixed? if so how?

Thanks for your time,

Jason

Sure there's a way to fix it...
get another motherboard. As soon as you install a reliable motherboard the system will work fine.
You are describing the "classic" asus failure symptoms.
It is widely suspected that this failure occurs because of a defect in the chip set. The people who replaced the board had no more problems. However, a different manufacturer is recommended.
m
l
June 7, 2012 4:34:51 PM

I would take a close look at the SSD, a failing SSD will cause random lockups/bsods and black screens. Its hard to nail it to the SSD because windows usually boots fine unless the SSD fails spectacularly.

This happened to me recently, nothing was showing up as bad on my SSD until I did a full diskcheck.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 7, 2012 4:37:48 PM

kurjack said:
I would take a close look at the SSD, a failing SSD will cause random lockups/bsods and black screens. Its hard to nail it to the SSD because windows usually boots fine unless the SSD fails spectacularly.

This happened to me recently, nothing was showing up as bad on my SSD until I did a full diskcheck.

You can check and replace hardware and drivers till the cows come home.
The average person does this for about two weeks....until the realization HITS...
before they replace the motherboard.
m
l
June 7, 2012 4:43:16 PM

soundguruman said:
You can check and replace hardware and drivers till the cows come home.
The average person does this for about two weeks....until the realization HITS...
before they replace the motherboard.

In my opinion I would say check everything else before the motherboard since that's normally the most expensive part. Especially if you have extra parts sitting around to use. Replacing a motherboard as the first step is not smart unless you know for sure... since its usually a larger purchase and alot more work to integrate into a system.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 7, 2012 5:17:22 PM

Again, lets get the BSOD STOP code before we jump to conclusions. If to comes up with, say, VIDEO_TDR_ERROR and its the GPU, a LOT of people here will be wrong.

Seriously, how can anyone here recommend corrective action until they even investigate WHY the error is occuring?
m
l
June 7, 2012 5:36:51 PM

soundguruman said:
Sure there's a way to fix it...
get another motherboard. As soon as you install a reliable motherboard the system will work fine.
You are describing the "classic" asus failure symptoms.
It is widely suspected that this failure occurs because of a defect in the chip set. The people who replaced the board had no more problems. However, a different manufacturer is recommended.

Well buying a new motherboard is not a option... and i don't think asus will RMA it without proof that the mobo is the problem. lets hope this is not the case...

here are the codes you wanted.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/818/capturexke.png...
m
l
June 7, 2012 5:38:37 PM

Your symptom is a bit different from mine, but I was having random crashes when not under load, and eventually figured out I plugged the CPU fan connector into one of the case fan slots. Make sure you didn't make my mistake :)  .
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 7, 2012 7:41:15 PM

it not the mb i have the same one and they work fine...asus has no more of a failure rate then intel or gigbyte dose. the sabertooth z77 need both the 0906 then then 10165 bios installed. uses the usb flashback port to do it. under the ai tunner you can change the ram timming from auto to xmp to see if running the xmp profile is more stable for you. in the bios there also som settings that can cause you to have issues. one is the intel video chipset being on. (for the lucent mx) chipset. i have the 550ti and the lucent feature is buggy with nvidia newest drivers. the other issues could be on how the mb is setting up the pci rev speed.there three setting when you use an ib chip pci 3.0 mode..2.0 mode and 1.0 mode.
m
l
!