PC won't boot

Sarin

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2002
For the last week, when ever i would run a processor intense game, the game would crash. Last night a game crashed and a tried to reboot the pc. It powered down fine, but it now does not boot. When i hit the power, the cpu fan turns on and the LEDs on the board turn on but thats it. No power to the drives. Is it the power supply even though some power is going to the fan and LEDs?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
It could well be, it could also be something else like a dead cpu.

some system details would be a nice addition becauze im not phsysic you know!

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires it and mortal men Covet it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b>

svol

Champion
Well if there goes no power to the drives then the chance that is it a bad CPU are very low (in all cases I had with bad CPUs the drives would still power on). Probably a powersuypply issue, if you own a multimeter you can check if there is voltage on all rails (5V, 12V etc).

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek:

Smokey

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2002
That sucks bro, I've been there. First you can see if it's the PSU or the board. A real easy way to start the troubleshooting is to pull out components from the board and listen for error codes. Start with the video card, then the memory, etc. If you pull out a part, then power on the board, you should receive a series of beeps from the board speaker telling you what's missing (the video card, the memory). If you get NO beep code, then you know the board is shot.

Try that first and let us know what happens.

<font color=purple><i>Smokey McPot - Your Baby's Daddy</i></font color=purple>

Sarin

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2002
thanks for info guys. sorry i didnt post more, i was pretty frustrated at the time. the setup is a7v8x and xp2400. when i hit the power button the cpu fan and leds turn on but no drives and no bios. it sounds like psu. what wattage would you recommend and what would be the minimum( i have a 300 in another comp).

Thanks again for all the info.

svol

Champion
Well if you only run CPU, memory and videocard with maybe one HD and a CDROM 300W will be good enough.
I don't know how much power sucking the rest of your components are.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek:

sbolinger2

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
If it is the CPU your mobo should give you some sort of beep code. Assuming you are getting no beep code, the problem is either the mobo to the PS. If I were you I'd try a PS. It is the easiest and cheapest to replace, and it's always nice to have a backup PS to try out if you have a strange problem where the PS is suspect.

:tongue: <font color=blue>My job is to polish</font color=blue> <font color=green>turds</font color=green><font color=blue>, I</font color=blue> <font color=red>love</font color=red> <font color=blue>my job.</font color=blue>

svol

Champion
Sorry... but when my CPU was fried I didn't get any beep codes from the motherboard... it just refuses to boot while all drives spin up.