Feb 4, 2002
Hi,

I have

1 WD SE 80Gb
1 very old Seagate 6.4Gb
1 Lite On DVD
1 MSI CD-RW

The question is how do I arrange them.

I use the WD SE as one partition for windows and the Seagate as backup - not good as backup though, no space left. And it's really slow transferring all the mp3s and movies back on to the WD SE after a format.

So, should I create 2 partitions on my WD SE (40/40Gb)?

I will put all my mp3s, movies, drivers and the contents of the Win98SE disc on 1 partition and install Win on the other. I find myself formatting frequently, so installing Win will be faster from the WD SE than from the DVD drive - right? It will also save time, cd changing etc. Yes, I'm lazy.

Will 2 partitions affect hard drive performance?

If I do create 2 partitions, how do I arrange the DVD/CD-RW?
Do I put them both on the secondary channel? Which one will be master? BTW, I don't copy on the fly and I use Blindwrite, CloneCD, Nero.

One more thing, why does Winamp3 take so long to load on my "fast" WD SE?

Overall, I want a configuration that provides maximum performance.

Thanks

AMD VS INTEL - AMD anyday

Scotty35

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
Ok I will have a stab at it. =D

WD as primary master, DVD as its slave, CDRW as secondary master and the old seagate as it's slave.

Make a boot partition of 10GB for the operating system and that pretty much covers that!

The rest is kind of upto you, dunno about winamp etc.

Good luck.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=326&s=4d269ebeb47ba8d9d235acd21ea21aae" target="_new"> Scotty's Toys</A> :smile: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by scotty35 on 02/04/03 04:16 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

jy88888888

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
Thanks.

But I will get rid of the Seagate, if performance is not sacrificed due to the 2 partitions.

And what's wrong with the 40/40Gb partitions?

40Gb for Windows and anything I install and,
40Gb for mp3s, movies and all the files from the Win98 and Win95 disc.

AMD VS INTEL - AMD anyday

Scotty35

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
Well I usually do it at 10Gb just for Windows and programs that can only be installed to the windows partition, all other programs I install to another partition of roughly the same size (10gb) then the third partition on that disk can be purely for data. It is just the way I like to do it mainly because I am always messing up my operating system trying new tweaks etc. Usually at this size allows me to make a disk image of the o/s and reload it in minutes after making a fatal mistake leaving the installed programs and data intact. Some programs may need re-installing but not many. You can use a program called Partition Magic from Powerquest to divide up the HDD with ease.

Writing to the same disk is somewhat slower than writing to another, the old Seagate drive is prolly ATA33 or66 so it will run fine on the 2nd IDE controller with the CD-RW, you can only try it.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=326&s=4d269ebeb47ba8d9d235acd21ea21aae" target="_new"> Scotty's Toys</A> :smile: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by scotty35 on 02/04/03 05:05 AM.</EM></FONT></P>