Sprint PCS In Omaha, NE

I just accepted a contract assignment in Omaha.
What should I expect in terms of reception
there? I'll be working downtown and use a
Sanyo 4900.

Thanks,
TW
5 answers Last reply
More about sprint omaha

    "Tom Welch" <pm4hire@excite.com> wrote in message
    > I just accepted a contract assignment in Omaha.
    > What should I expect in terms of reception
    > there? I'll be working downtown and use a
    > Sanyo 4900.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > TW

    I work in Omaha often and find that SprintPCS coverage is generally very
    good throughout the metropolitan area. One complaint is that if I'm on the
    main road into downtown from the west (Douglas) and am on a call I will
    ALWAYS drop the call when I cross 20th street. Signal is strong before and
    after the dropped call. There is a major group of antenna's on top of a
    building at 20th and Douglas (I think it's a Qwest telephone building) and
    wonder if they somehow contribute to the call dropping.

    Rick

    "Rick" <rick@rick.net> wrote in message

    > I work in Omaha often and find that SprintPCS coverage is generally very
    > good throughout the metropolitan area. One complaint is that if I'm on the
    > main road into downtown from the west (Douglas) and am on a call I will
    > ALWAYS drop the call when I cross 20th street. Signal is strong before and
    > after the dropped call. There is a major group of antenna's on top of a
    > building at 20th and Douglas (I think it's a Qwest telephone building) and
    > wonder if they somehow contribute to the call dropping.
    >
    > Rick

    Rick,

    It sounds to me like it's a simply a case of one Sprint tower not
    being able to hand off to another even though the coverage is strong
    and overlaps. This can easily be fixed at the switch if you can get
    them to send a drive test team out there. Each tower has a neighbor
    list of the other towers in which it can or can't handoff to.
    Sometimes when a new tower is installed they don't properly fine tune
    the towers to handoff like they should. It's fairly common and is a
    likely cause for many dropped calls. The most frustrating thing about
    it is it's something that can be fixed easily if the right people know
    about the problem.

    On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 21:40:42 -0500, "Rick" <rick@rick.net> wrote:

    >"Tom Welch" <pm4hire@excite.com> wrote in message
    >> I just accepted a contract assignment in Omaha.
    >> What should I expect in terms of reception
    >> there? I'll be working downtown and use a
    >> Sanyo 4900.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> TW
    >
    >I work in Omaha often and find that SprintPCS coverage is generally very
    >good throughout the metropolitan area. One complaint is that if I'm on the
    >main road into downtown from the west (Douglas) and am on a call I will
    >ALWAYS drop the call when I cross 20th street.

    Rick, I have a similar situation, but it seems to be related to the
    system ID that's different on an isolated tower (installed by an
    affiliate).

    It's an oddity with Sanyo's firmware (in the 6400).

    What phone do you have?

    <paul@wren.cc.kux.edu> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 21:40:42 -0500, "Rick" <rick@rick.net> wrote:
    >

    > >"Tom Welch" <pm4hire@excite.com> wrote in message
    > >> I just accepted a contract assignment in Omaha.
    > >> What should I expect in terms of reception
    > >> there? I'll be working downtown and use a
    > >> Sanyo 4900.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks,
    > >> TW
    > >
    > >I work in Omaha often and find that SprintPCS coverage is generally very
    > >good throughout the metropolitan area. One complaint is that if I'm on
    the
    > >main road into downtown from the west (Douglas) and am on a call I will
    > >ALWAYS drop the call when I cross 20th street.
    >
    > Rick, I have a similar situation, but it seems to be related to the
    > system ID that's different on an isolated tower (installed by an
    > affiliate).
    >
    > It's an oddity with Sanyo's firmware (in the 6400).
    >
    > What phone do you have?

    I've got a Sanyo 5300....previously had a Sanyo 4900 which exhibited the
    same problem. I also drop calls when switching between coverage provided by
    SprintPCS corporate and coverage provided by Sprint affiliates. I even drop
    calls within affiliate areas when moving between areas served by Vision
    capable service and non-Vision capable service....but the same affiliate
    (Swiftel Communications in South Dakota). I see at sprintpcsinfo.com that a
    firmware upgrade is available for my phone (I'm at 1.036). Anyone have an
    opinion as to whether getting that installed might help? I am at PRL 10023.

    In article <107gk10dikksq92@corp.supernews.com>, "Rick" <rick@rick.net>
    wrote:

    > I've got a Sanyo 5300....previously had a Sanyo 4900 which exhibited the
    > same problem. I also drop calls when switching between coverage provided by
    > SprintPCS corporate and coverage provided by Sprint affiliates. I even drop
    > calls within affiliate areas when moving between areas served by Vision
    > capable service and non-Vision capable service....but the same affiliate
    > (Swiftel Communications in South Dakota). I see at sprintpcsinfo.com that a
    > firmware upgrade is available for my phone (I'm at 1.036). Anyone have an
    > opinion as to whether getting that installed might help? I am at PRL 10023.

    Its mainly one of the advntages of living in the world's third leading
    Nuclear Power. (South Dakota).

Sprint PCS Sanyo Internet Service Providers