Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Sprint PCS In Omaha, NE

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
April 7, 2004 5:29:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

I just accepted a contract assignment in Omaha.
What should I expect in terms of reception
there? I'll be working downtown and use a
Sanyo 4900.

Thanks,
TW

More about : sprint pcs omaha

April 9, 2004 1:40:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"Tom Welch" <pm4hire@excite.com> wrote in message
news:52a66032.0404071229.67c54798@posting.google.com...
> I just accepted a contract assignment in Omaha.
> What should I expect in terms of reception
> there? I'll be working downtown and use a
> Sanyo 4900.
>
> Thanks,
> TW

I work in Omaha often and find that SprintPCS coverage is generally very
good throughout the metropolitan area. One complaint is that if I'm on the
main road into downtown from the west (Douglas) and am on a call I will
ALWAYS drop the call when I cross 20th street. Signal is strong before and
after the dropped call. There is a major group of antenna's on top of a
building at 20th and Douglas (I think it's a Qwest telephone building) and
wonder if they somehow contribute to the call dropping.

Rick
Anonymous
April 9, 2004 2:39:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"Rick" <rick@rick.net> wrote in message
>
> I work in Omaha often and find that SprintPCS coverage is generally very
> good throughout the metropolitan area. One complaint is that if I'm on the
> main road into downtown from the west (Douglas) and am on a call I will
> ALWAYS drop the call when I cross 20th street. Signal is strong before and
> after the dropped call. There is a major group of antenna's on top of a
> building at 20th and Douglas (I think it's a Qwest telephone building) and
> wonder if they somehow contribute to the call dropping.
>
> Rick

Rick,

It sounds to me like it's a simply a case of one Sprint tower not
being able to hand off to another even though the coverage is strong
and overlaps. This can easily be fixed at the switch if you can get
them to send a drive test team out there. Each tower has a neighbor
list of the other towers in which it can or can't handoff to.
Sometimes when a new tower is installed they don't properly fine tune
the towers to handoff like they should. It's fairly common and is a
likely cause for many dropped calls. The most frustrating thing about
it is it's something that can be fixed easily if the right people know
about the problem.
Related resources
April 9, 2004 11:54:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 21:40:42 -0500, "Rick" <rick@rick.net> wrote:

>
>"Tom Welch" <pm4hire@excite.com> wrote in message
>news:52a66032.0404071229.67c54798@posting.google.com...
>> I just accepted a contract assignment in Omaha.
>> What should I expect in terms of reception
>> there? I'll be working downtown and use a
>> Sanyo 4900.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> TW
>
>I work in Omaha often and find that SprintPCS coverage is generally very
>good throughout the metropolitan area. One complaint is that if I'm on the
>main road into downtown from the west (Douglas) and am on a call I will
>ALWAYS drop the call when I cross 20th street.

Rick, I have a similar situation, but it seems to be related to the
system ID that's different on an isolated tower (installed by an
affiliate).

It's an oddity with Sanyo's firmware (in the 6400).

What phone do you have?
April 10, 2004 6:50:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

<paul@wren.cc.kux.edu> wrote in message
news:n47d7098qncqo0l7vd2dq0bljdq01dc386@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 21:40:42 -0500, "Rick" <rick@rick.net> wrote:
>
> >
> >"Tom Welch" <pm4hire@excite.com> wrote in message
> >news:52a66032.0404071229.67c54798@posting.google.com...
> >> I just accepted a contract assignment in Omaha.
> >> What should I expect in terms of reception
> >> there? I'll be working downtown and use a
> >> Sanyo 4900.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> TW
> >
> >I work in Omaha often and find that SprintPCS coverage is generally very
> >good throughout the metropolitan area. One complaint is that if I'm on
the
> >main road into downtown from the west (Douglas) and am on a call I will
> >ALWAYS drop the call when I cross 20th street.
>
> Rick, I have a similar situation, but it seems to be related to the
> system ID that's different on an isolated tower (installed by an
> affiliate).
>
> It's an oddity with Sanyo's firmware (in the 6400).
>
> What phone do you have?
>
>

I've got a Sanyo 5300....previously had a Sanyo 4900 which exhibited the
same problem. I also drop calls when switching between coverage provided by
SprintPCS corporate and coverage provided by Sprint affiliates. I even drop
calls within affiliate areas when moving between areas served by Vision
capable service and non-Vision capable service....but the same affiliate
(Swiftel Communications in South Dakota). I see at sprintpcsinfo.com that a
firmware upgrade is available for my phone (I'm at 1.036). Anyone have an
opinion as to whether getting that installed might help? I am at PRL 10023.
Anonymous
April 10, 2004 11:58:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In article <107gk10dikksq92@corp.supernews.com>, "Rick" <rick@rick.net>
wrote:

> I've got a Sanyo 5300....previously had a Sanyo 4900 which exhibited the
> same problem. I also drop calls when switching between coverage provided by
> SprintPCS corporate and coverage provided by Sprint affiliates. I even drop
> calls within affiliate areas when moving between areas served by Vision
> capable service and non-Vision capable service....but the same affiliate
> (Swiftel Communications in South Dakota). I see at sprintpcsinfo.com that a
> firmware upgrade is available for my phone (I'm at 1.036). Anyone have an
> opinion as to whether getting that installed might help? I am at PRL 10023.

Its mainly one of the advntages of living in the world's third leading
Nuclear Power. (South Dakota).
!