Sign in with
Your question
Solved

QoS, what is the "transferred" field?

Last response: in Networking
Anonymous
February 17, 2013 2:34:37 AM

Hi, I am currently trying to set up QoS for a network that requires gaming ports to be prioritized heavily. Unsure as to what the transferred field is used for, as it will not let me set it up while leaving it blank it seems. Default values include 0~512 and 512~ for some of the presets, however I don't understand what they are.

Also, if I only have QoS set to x% amount of bandwidth to those games, but don't make profiles for everything else, what does everything else run off of? Just whatever the games may not use up?

More about : qos transferred field

Best solution

February 17, 2013 2:01:54 PM

Hard to say there varies a little from manufacture to manufacture. Generally anything you do include goes into the lowest class.

Generally the QoS on a home router is a waste of time.

They have 2 theory on how they work.
First if you prioritize upload traffic you will also prioritize download traffic. This is not true in almost all cases. The traffic that causes the most issues sends very little up and huge amounts down.

The second theory which partially works is that if drop enough packets for sessions you want to limit they will not be able to use as much. This is all based on a error recovery method in the core of TCP that causes end device to transmit data slower for short periods of time when they detect a error. It works for some applications but some things like bit torrents have so many open sessions another just runs faster when other slow down. It is silly in a way that you are throwing away data after you have received it just to cause errors. What many times happens is the utilization of the internet connection will oscillate from fully used to almost nothing because both you and the ISP are dropping packets. The ISP has already dropped the packets you may have wanted to keep so both you favored application as well as the other go into slow down. The only way to make this work is to limit all the non important applications a rate far below the maximum so you NEVER get to 100% and the ISP drops data. You may have to run it much below even the 100% rate since you actually share the connection with your neighbors over who you have no control

QoS really only works when you have a special managed line with your ISP where you have made agreements of what to do when you connection goes to 100% utilization. Even commercial internet connections do not use QoS. If you are at 100% then you need to buy more bandwidth in almost all cases.
Anonymous
February 17, 2013 3:02:39 PM

Best answer selected by c1o5ry1991.
m
l
!