Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

killing radio bleed through guitar amps

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 11:17:34 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

When a guitarist has problems with their rig picking up a radio station
signal over their rig, what're usually the causes besides bad chords? Are
there any quick fixes to shield this?

TIA

dik
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 2:45:43 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 08:17:34 -0600, "Dik LeDoux" <dikledoux@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>When a guitarist has problems with their rig picking up a radio station
>signal over their rig, what're usually the causes besides bad chords? <snip>

PLEEEASE tell me this was an intentional pun!

>Are
>there any quick fixes to shield this? <snip>

Ferrite beads.

dB
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 6:47:47 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <l7ednR7tQ7LjSXrcRVn-oA@megapath.net> dikledoux@yahoo.com writes:

> When a guitarist has problems with their rig picking up a radio station
> signal over their rig, what're usually the causes besides bad chords?

It's not just bad chords, sometimes it's bad notes too.

It could be inadequate shielding, poor cables, bad grounding of the
amplifier, or bad amplifier design. First thing I'd try is to move
around and/or rotate in one position while holding the guitar to see
if you can find a place where the interference nulls out. If that's
the case, it's almost surely being picked up by the guitar. You could
also try a different guitar and cable into the same amplifier to see
how the interference changes, if at all.



--
I'm really Mike Rivers (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 8:34:35 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Try wrapping the cable from the pickup into a tight coil, preferably the end
near the amp. This might add enough inductance to "choke" the radio signal.
(I've seen this work with mics.)
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 12:26:50 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Dik LeDoux" <dikledoux@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:l7ednR7tQ7LjSXrcRVn-oA@megapath.net...
> When a guitarist has problems with their rig picking up a radio station
> signal over their rig, what're usually the causes besides bad chords? Are
> there any quick fixes to shield this?
>
> TIA
>
> dik
>

in most of the cases that i have worked on it turns out the guitarist was
using unshielded speaker cable.

therefore step one is: check the guitar cable.
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 12:26:51 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 21:26:50 -0500, "TimPerry"
<timperry@noaspamadelphia.net> wrote:

>
>"Dik LeDoux" <dikledoux@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>news:l7ednR7tQ7LjSXrcRVn-oA@megapath.net...
>> When a guitarist has problems with their rig picking up a radio station
>> signal over their rig, what're usually the causes besides bad chords? Are
>> there any quick fixes to shield this?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> dik
>>
>
>in most of the cases that i have worked on it turns out the guitarist was
>using unshielded speaker cable.
>
>therefore step one is: check the guitar cable.
>

Or if it's a strat, the sheilding on those pickups is terrible.
Shield the guitar or use a Telecaster.

Al
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 12:15:53 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"play on" <playonAT@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:br6hu0tpuvai0uns3e6qsuga7f7426gp5v@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 21:26:50 -0500, "TimPerry"
> <timperry@noaspamadelphia.net> wrote:
>
> >
> >"Dik LeDoux" <dikledoux@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >news:l7ednR7tQ7LjSXrcRVn-oA@megapath.net...
> >> When a guitarist has problems with their rig picking up a radio station
> >> signal over their rig, what're usually the causes besides bad chords?
Are
> >> there any quick fixes to shield this?
> >>
> >> TIA
> >>
> >> dik
> >>
> >
> >in most of the cases that i have worked on it turns out the guitarist was
> >using unshielded speaker cable.
> >
> >therefore step one is: check the guitar cable.
> >
>
> Or if it's a strat, the sheilding on those pickups is terrible.
> Shield the guitar or use a Telecaster.

A lot of times, I've found going over every connection, including all cords,
jacks etc. on the guitarist's stomp-box board, with DeoxIt and PreservIt
(the descendants of Cramolin) banishes the radio station. Dirty jacks make
great rectifiers.

Peace,
Paul
January 16, 2005 1:31:01 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

>>therefore step one is: check the guitar cable.
> Or if it's a strat, the sheilding on those pickups is terrible.
> Shield the guitar or use a Telecaster.

Or even better still, use a Les Paul. Telecasters are also single-coil
pickups :-(

Al.
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 1:31:02 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On 15 Jan 2005 22:31:01 GMT, Al <alnews67@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>>therefore step one is: check the guitar cable.
>> Or if it's a strat, the sheilding on those pickups is terrible.
>> Shield the guitar or use a Telecaster.
>
>Or even better still, use a Les Paul. Telecasters are also single-coil
>pickups :-(
>

Yeah but they are still quieter than strats... and they can do a much
better strat impersonation than Les Pauls.

Al
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 5:08:05 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Torres Engineering in San Mateo CA have some great
instructions on how to shield your strat and tele in
their printed catalog. Also mods to the tone stack to
make it sound better. Check them out.
http://www.torresengineering.com/index.html
Order the print catalog.

Phil Abbate


: >>>therefore step one is: check the guitar cable.
: >> Or if it's a strat, the sheilding on those pickups
is terrible.
: >> Shield the guitar or use a Telecaster.
: >
: >Or even better still, use a Les Paul. Telecasters
are also single-coil
: >pickups :-(
: >
:
: Yeah but they are still quieter than strats... and
they can do a much
: better strat impersonation than Les Pauls.
:
: Al
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 9:46:18 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Hey Mike,

I have this exact same problem with my rig (Ibanez JS100 -> Dunlop
Chrome Crybaby -> DigiTech Whammy -> DigiTech Grunge -> Line 6 Vetta II
with a Rocktron Chameleon in the FX loop, and then all this goes into a
jack on my old Fostex 4-track tape unit). I pick up a local radio
station but the advice I've gotten so far is to move the whole rig
right out from under the main living room window, which is where it's
at now. That, plus maybe using shorter cables instead of the RoadHog
20-footers I'm using now to connect everything might do the trick,
we'll see...

Mike
!