Dungeon Lords: Update 1.1 released

List of changes:

Gameplay tweak: Monsters less aggressive in some areas of the game.
Gameplay tweak: Magic items appear at a more even rate.
Gameplay tweak: Ice magic now holds opponents longer.
Gameplay tweak: Exploit reselling single use scrolls and lockpicks can no
longer be abused.
Gameplay tweak: Boons from relics at Talendor adjusted.
Added feature: Additional spells added for specific types of magic.
Added feature: New heraldries added for specific quest bonuses.
Added feature: Players may skip voice-over/text dialogues with NPCs.
Bug fix: Screen resizing issues in the User-Interface fixed.
Bug fix: Bargain skill works correctly for reselling items.
Bug fix: Occasional guild inventories not showing up in MP now fixed.
Bug fix: Pain Sting (nether spell) now fixed.
Bug fix: Flickering on load screen no longer occurs.
Bug fix: Occasional hang under MP in Fargove Slums now fixed.
Bug fix: Order of the quests at the Celestial Order in Fargove adjusted.
Bug fix: In the Shadow Ruins, the Blue Athena Statue now drops the Shadow
Crystal even after failing the chess puzzle

thrasher

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2004

On Wed, 11 May 2005 03:28:43 GMT, "BuckFush" <notmyre@laddress.com>
wrote:

>There are some real masochists out there.

Yeah. What else are they supposed to do, though? I bought games I knew
were going to be bad, for 2 or 3 years. And WOW - they were bad. And
then I came here and bitched about how bad they were. Now I don't buy
computer games, and I come here and bitch about politics.

Much better. Or, at least, cheaper. And now I have more time for golf,
too :p

NFLed wrote:

> By the way, on the Dreamcatcher message boards most everyone is liking
> the game a lot despite the initial whining and crying by a lot of those
> same people. Yes there's no automap and that's a big deal to me but
> the other so-called issues are so meaningless to me that it's really
> laughable to complain about them. A spell doesn't work? Don't use it,
> there are many dozens of other spells. Can't change hair color? Too
> bad, if that's a game killer to you then that's sad.

It's not a game killer, but it is a sign that the publisher is
selling an unfinished game.

> No in-game music?
> Try playing a CD on your CD player, that way it's customizable. You
> don't need to have minimum stats to add a secondary character class?
> Pretend that you do, don't take the class until you have the stats for
> it.

IOW, pretend that you're playing a finished game. Which is fine
for freeware, but not a good thing if you actaully paid money.

--
Konrad Gaertner email: gaertk@aol.com
http://www.livejournal.com/users/kgbooklog/

On Wed, 11 May 2005 18:38:02 -0400, chainbreaker wrote:

> I think the 10-15 minutes I spent with that game--and the term "game" is
> applied very loosely here--is the quickest I ever did recognize a steaming
> pile for what it was, lol.

Hey, you! I wondered where the heck you were. No longer playing WoW?

Well, um. So I actually planned on pre-ordering DL (comes out here end of
the month), but that doesn't sound great. Is it really *that* bad? (You
know, "Sacred"-like bad.)

M.

I'd like to know: How does the patched game compare to say the Gothics
or Arx Fatalis?

I've been looking for a good single-player game in that vein for a long
time and was hoping Dungeon Lords would be the one...

Andy wrote:
> I won't comment on the game as I've not played it, but you've given me the
> visual impression of a Hollywood Blockbuster that they didn't get round to
> adding music too (bring a walkman), haven't finished some of the effects
> (there are lots of other effects), the Gandalf character looks like he did
> in X-men because the make-up artists haven't finished (but he's still
> Gandalf, right?), and the map detailing who is warring against who at the
> beginning of the movie doesn't appear as they haven't drawn it yet. But
> that's okay, come back and pay to see it again next month as we may have
> fixed Gandalf's hair; trust us...
>
> I have the horrible feeling if the Games industry gets away with this,
> what's next?

Let's just say, that Dungeon Lords seems to be a good game on the story.
Where other games are visually stunning and have no story.

Next are games where the story was replaced by bugs ;-)

--
Reclaim Your Inbox!

Michael Vondung wrote:
> On Wed, 11 May 2005 18:38:02 -0400, chainbreaker wrote:
>
>> I think the 10-15 minutes I spent with that game--and the term
>> "game" is applied very loosely here--is the quickest I ever did
>> recognize a steaming pile for what it was, lol.
>
> Hey, you! I wondered where the heck you were. No longer playing WoW?
>
> Well, um. So I actually planned on pre-ordering DL (comes out here
> end of the month), but that doesn't sound great. Is it really *that*
> bad? (You know, "Sacred"-like bad.)
>
> M.

Hey, I'd been wondering where *you* were. :)

Regarding WoW--Nope, the gankers and the bored munchkins raping the
countryside in zones 15-20+ levels beneath them became more than I could
tolerate. I re-upped my EQ2 sub a couple of weeks ago, and have been doing
some low-key playing with one or two old CoH compadres.

As I think I mentioned somewhere before, I didn't stop playing EQ2 because
of anything that was wrong with it, it was simply that I'd become more taken
with WoW. WoW isn't a bad game either, but I just can't take the rampant
player immaturity. I'm not about to say I'm committing to EQ2 long-term
either, but I'm enjoying it now, and think I'll commit at least for another
month. And if you like "deep", I think EQ2 is much more so than WoW.

Of course, I don't know the first thing about DL, but from what I've seen,
Sacred sounds like a 5 star title in comparison. :)
--
chainbreaker

Memnoch wrote:

>List of changes:
>
>Gameplay tweak: Monsters less aggressive in some areas of the game.
>Gameplay tweak: Magic items appear at a more even rate.
>Gameplay tweak: Ice magic now holds opponents longer.
>Gameplay tweak: Exploit reselling single use scrolls and lockpicks can no

Gameplay tweak: the game will actually run for more than 5 minutes.
Gameplay tweak: you may actually find a way to kill those rats.
Gameplay tweak: it may be possible to get into the stupid city.
Gameplay tweak: someday we may actually make the map work again.
Gameplay tweak: the developers are hunting the publishers with blunt instruments for having the gall to publish this POS years before it is ready.

--
A sufficiently advanced computer network protective attitude is indistinguishable from paranoia.

On 12 May 2005 14:25:12 -0700, "Josh Mayfield"
<ultibloo-usenet@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I'd like to know: How does the patched game compare to say the Gothics
>or Arx Fatalis?
>
>I've been looking for a good single-player game in that vein for a long
>time and was hoping Dungeon Lords would be the one...

Nope.

Give it a miss until the final patch is released. Then decide. Lots
missing and/or broken. Shipped as an unfinished product.

John Lewis

Craig Hulett wrote:

>It seems to be the same "Deep Six" engine that W&W used. Updated, sure, but
>at it's heart the same engine. Look at all the "D6" files in the game's root
>directory.

Did the system work then? If so, why is it crash-o-matic now?

--

On Sat, 14 May 2005 21:47:51 -0700, Quaestor <no.spam@my.place> wrote:

>Craig Hulett wrote:
>
>>It seems to be the same "Deep Six" engine that W&W used. Updated, sure, but
>>at it's heart the same engine. Look at all the "D6" files in the game's root
>>directory.
>>

>Did the system work then? If so, why is it crash-o-matic now?

I haven't had a single crash. Yet many people in the Dreamcatcher forums are
getting the same problem. Chances are it will turn out to be driver related.

Memnoch wrote:
> On Sat, 14 May 2005 21:47:51 -0700, Quaestor <no.spam@my.place> wrote:
>
>> Craig Hulett wrote:
>>
>>> It seems to be the same "Deep Six" engine that W&W used. Updated,
>>> sure, but at it's heart the same engine. Look at all the "D6" files
>>> in the game's root directory.
>>>

>> Did the system work then? If so, why is it crash-o-matic now?
>
> I haven't had a single crash. Yet many people in the Dreamcatcher
> forums are getting the same problem. Chances are it will turn out to
> be driver related.

I haven't had a crash with DL, either, running a 6800 with the 'latest'
drivers. I *do* remember W&W being a crash-fest for me until they got it
patched. That was where the name 'Deep 6' keep popping up - in the error
messages. The only 'issues' I've seen are the known ones where features
didn't make it into the final game or were horked up in the patch. I
especially enjoy the complete freeze up when a group spawns in, talk about
taking the surpise out of it. I don't recall seeing anything *that* obvious
since the original Daggerfall - and it didn't so much pause as grind away at
the hard-drive for a second or two - so you knew something was coming! LOL!

Thusly "Velk" <velkarath@gmail.com> Spake Unto All:

>Although I do not actually know who these people are, it would seem a
>reasonable assumption that they are not jumping all over heuristic park
>simply because they haven't bought dungeon siege.

God, I hope so.

--
A True Hero: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/03/magazine/03ALI.html

On Thu, 12 May 2005 16:29:05 -0400, chainbreaker wrote:

> Hey, I'd been wondering where *you* were. :)

Ah, I was a tad busy with "that game", work, and I also totally forgot that
individual.net went "for pay". Once I did remember, I promptly forgot to
send my ten Euro bucks there, which delayed this by another two or three
weeks. ;)

> Regarding WoW--Nope, the gankers and the bored munchkins raping the
> countryside in zones 15-20+ levels beneath them became more than I could
> tolerate. I re-upped my EQ2 sub a couple of weeks ago, and have been doing
> some low-key playing with one or two old CoH compadres.

My character has hit level sixty some time ago (he's a priest) and now that
I have collected my complete set and everything's that "nice & nifty" from
Dire Maul, I'm left with only the very high end content such as Molten
Core, Onyxia and the raid bosses. Molen Core happens once a week for me, so
my playing time is going to decrease. WoW is an excellent game, and while I
wouldn't call it "too easy", I'd say that you progress too fast and that
non-leveling aspects (such as trade skills) are currently too thin. As PvP
isn't my cup of tea, the end game content isn't very attractive to me (or
rather, there's just enough of it). There is also nothing I can do on my
own, and I don't always have the time to dedicate blocks of 3-5 hours to a
raid dungeon. (Except Molten Core, but that's weekly and thus easily to
schedule.)

I've not any issues with the level of maturity, but perhas that has to do
with playing on a European/German PvE server with a complicated fantasy
name (Khaz'goroth), which I correctly figured isn't seen as "kewl" by the
audience I hoped to not encounter. The average age is probably in the late
twenties, which is still younger than me (pffft!), but it's a friendly
server over all, with a low amount of immaturity (or maybe I just get
better at ignoring it).

And you know what, I'm missing D2. :) WoW doesn't have the same treasure
hunting aspect that makes me play D2 for such a long time. There isn't
enough "stuff", especially not "random stuff". (I never deleted D2.)

> Of course, I don't know the first thing about DL, but from what I've seen,
> Sacred sounds like a 5 star title in comparison. :)

I bit the bullet and pre-ordered the German DL version. Buying a probably
poor game is bad enough, but buying a localized version of a poor game is
almost insanity! ;) Then again, it's cheaper, and I don't want to import a
game I might not enjoy. I know that the feedback is really bad, but I
waited for DL for a long time, and I just want to see it. It'll be here by
Friday or Saturday.

M.
--
ClamWin, an open source antivirus software for Windows:
http://www.clamwin.com/

On Sat, 14 May 2005 21:47:51 -0700, Quaestor wrote:

> Craig Hulett wrote:
>
>>It seems to be the same "Deep Six" engine that W&W used. Updated, sure, but
>>at it's heart the same engine. Look at all the "D6" files in the game's root
>>directory.
>>

> Did the system work then? If so, why is it crash-o-matic now?

I must agree, from what I've read and with my current replaying of W&W, DL
sounds exactly like a mere evolution of W&W, as in probably a game more
along the lines of what they really meant W&W to be in the end if they had
the luxury of further development. Much of W&W feels like it was tacked
on to make something halfway releasable, and, frankly, I am NOT having
much fun with replaying it. It's got one of the worst combat systems that
I have ever had the mispleasure of using in an RPG--it's a click fest. W&W
feels like a party was tacked onto a single character game, that the world
map was supposed to have been MUCH larger with more cities etc., more
details(quests/oaths) were supposed to have been implemented, that the
game engine was supposed to be more open/go anywhere almost ala the much
superior Wizardry 8, Morrowind, MM VI/VII/VIII(maybe even IX) etc. (Last
comment no automap in a modern RPG with any sort of
map/level/world/whatever region thingy complications is something that
makes the game insanely tedious. These are NOT the simplistic small (8X8
or so)flat(2D) fixed area size map based games of the 80s! At least the
automap in W&W worked, although it was also horrendously implemented...
the only saving grace was the colored flags, without which it would have
been nigh on useless...)

(This also sort of reminds me of the infamous bc3k development saga, which
seems to me like a never ending beta of the same game with just enough
updates to be sort of modern. However, the sad part about this analogy is
that I actually have fun playing bc3k games once in a while, since I got
over most of the learning curve on bc3k v2 way back when and not much has
changed since then... }:)