Render Farm

asthenia

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
Hey guys,
I am a visual effects artist and a hardware geek like you all. Yet I am not very good with networking. I am going to be setting a up render farm. I am going to commission my 3770K system, older 1090t system and I am going to buy a 8150 system. In the future I will be adding more nodes to the render farm.

My question is related to networking the nodes. I was thinking that I would buy a switch and connect all my nodes and my workstation to the switch. If I plug my router to the switch would I be able to get internet access to all the nodes and my workstation?

Also if you know anything about using render farms with Terragen 2 please give me any knowledge you got.

Thanks guys!

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
A switch just adds more ports to the lan part of a router. In general it "should" not matter what you plug in where, most ports are way beyond what you can ever use.... assuming all is gig ports. Even if the router was busying doing lots of NAT for a user going to the internet traffic going between the lan ports should not be affected since it uses the asic switches chips rather than the central processor.

Still I would hook all you equipment to a switch and then hook only the switch to the router. That way all the traffic stays in one box unless it is going outside your network to the internet.

But it would not really matter if you pluged some devices into the switch and some into the router.

TRENDING THREADS