Mount&Blade: Darklands meets KingsBounty

Mount&Blade, previously known as Warrider and Way of the Sword, is
quite an interesting game.

http://www.taleworlds.com/

It is a classless, combat-heavy rpg that also offers you the change to
buy/sell goods from and to towns, hire yourself a band of thugs to
protect your goods, to capture various brigands and pirates to be sold
as slaves or to plunder caravans.

Combat system is Morrowind-esque, but closer to Daggerfall IMO, as the
type of attack is chosen with the direction the mouse, not the
character, is moving. To block you either have to have a shield or you
have to wait until enemy has already started his attack. You can also
use all your weapons while mounted, although you cannot reload your
crossbow on horseback. Combat is deadly and dangerous, because there
are no healing potions. I have lost two battles, but was just knocked
unconscious and lost money/merchandise.

Skills and stats are MW-esque.

Janne Joensuu
Endoperez

Good heads up,

Is this game out already? If so it looks like it is worth a look.

cheers,

Hawklan

Hawklan wrote:

>Good heads up,
>
> Is this game out already? If so it looks like it is worth a look.

Look at the site. Almost no content in the game. Like FPS for swords.

--
A sufficiently advanced computer network protective attitude is indistinguishable from paranoia.

"Hawklan" <kris@nospamdnd.ca> wrote in message news:<755b0e1be75f914564e61be24eb65a0c@localhost.talkaboutcomputing.com>...
> Good heads up,
>
> Is this game out already? If so it looks like it is worth a look.
>
> cheers,
>
> Hawklan

Sorry about my message being cut up short. I was posting that message
from school, a teacher came and ordered all of us who were there to
leave at once.

Any way, the game is still incomplete, in Beta I think. Demo is
available, although it limits your character to level 6. If you pay
about 10 $, you will get non-limited demo and free update to all
future versions, including the full game. The full game will pay about
25$.

About Quaestor's post (no content, FPS with swords) the game is
incomplete and still in development, but it is true it might't ever
have npc interaction of Baldur's Gate, deep story of Planescape:
Torment, visuals of Morrowind/Gothic 2 (haven't played the second, but
I have heard it is also beautiful) or the replayability of Adom, but
that doesn't mean it couldn't be a good game. I except that combat,
travel and trade options and mechanics will stay similar, but that
they'll be polished and balanced. So if you find that the base
mechanics interest you, you'll probably like the final game. To find
out if those interest you, you'll have to try the game.

It is true that currently there is no real roleplaying corporated into
the game. However, as there is huge difference between the starting
classes (in equipment and skills), and you can make your character's
face (interesting system but it seems to be lacking in hairstyles and
skin/eye colors/textures), you can more easily adapt the role of nomad
warrior or bastard son of Swadian noble than in most games. If the
final game will have some kind of a reputation system that affects
more than just aggressivity of NPCs, it will be a great way to play a
role of medieval merchant or warrior, from knight to brigand to mongol
to longbowman.

And, for what it's worth, I think "FPS with swords" would have greater
market within the RPG fans than the FPS fans.

Endoperez,
Janne Joensuu

J.M. Joensuu wrote:

> Any way, the game is still incomplete, in Beta I think. Demo is
> available, although it limits your character to level 6. If you pay
> about 10 $, you will get non-limited demo and free update to all
> future versions, including the full game. The full game will pay about
> 25$.
>
> About Quaestor's post (no content, FPS with swords) the game is
> incomplete and still in development, but it is true it might't ever
> have npc interaction of Baldur's Gate, deep story of Planescape:
> Torment, visuals of Morrowind/Gothic 2 (haven't played the second, but
> I have heard it is also beautiful) or the replayability of Adom, but
> that doesn't mean it couldn't be a good game. I except that combat,
> travel and trade options and mechanics will stay similar, but that
> they'll be polished and balanced. So if you find that the base
> mechanics interest you, you'll probably like the final game. To find
> out if those interest you, you'll have to try the game.
>
> It is true that currently there is no real roleplaying corporated into
> the game. However, as there is huge difference between the starting
> classes (in equipment and skills), and you can make your character's
> face (interesting system but it seems to be lacking in hairstyles and
> skin/eye colors/textures), you can more easily adapt the role of nomad
> warrior or bastard son of Swadian noble than in most games. If the
> final game will have some kind of a reputation system that affects
> more than just aggressivity of NPCs, it will be a great way to play a
> role of medieval merchant or warrior, from knight to brigand to mongol
> to longbowman.
>
> And, for what it's worth, I think "FPS with swords" would have greater
> market within the RPG fans than the FPS fans.
yeah I agree.
I liked the mount&blade demo but wouldn't pay $15 for a beta with no
storyline tho I liked the thrill of trying to master the mounted combat,
fun to swoop down on your enemies on a fast horse with a scimitar.
Haven't mastered the lancing yet tho!. Hope the next elder scrolls
incorporates group mounted combat. Wish I had a serial for M&B and could
play after reaching level 6, but at this stage of the games development
I'm not prepared to pay the $15. call me cheapskate if you will but its
a hell competitive market out there! Mind you if I knew the complete
game was definitely coming soon I'd pay now and that's saying something
believe me. I start many games and don't continue hell I never even
finished Gothic 2 or MW tho I liked many aspects of both of them!

rickmx <rickmx@nospam.net.au> wrote in message news:<428a14d1@dnews.tpgi.com.au>...
> yeah I agree.
> I liked the mount&blade demo but wouldn't pay $15 for a beta with no
> storyline tho I liked the thrill of trying to master the mounted combat,
> fun to swoop down on your enemies on a fast horse with a scimitar.
> Haven't mastered the lancing yet tho!. Hope the next elder scrolls
> incorporates group mounted combat. Wish I had a serial for M&B and could
> play after reaching level 6, but at this stage of the games development
> I'm not prepared to pay the $15. call me cheapskate if you will but its
> a hell competitive market out there! Mind you if I knew the complete
> game was definitely coming soon I'd pay now and that's saying something
> believe me. I start many games and don't continue hell I never even
> finished Gothic 2 or MW tho I liked many aspects of both of them!

I haven't bought either... yet. I might wait for it to be more
finished, or at least check the next version. I'm not quite sure. I
enjoy the combat, melee and archery, mounted and on foot, but the
other things feel lacking. Even the trading part seem rather dead, as
there is no actual economics.

Oblivion, the next Elder Scrolls game, won't have mounted combat. :(
It seems it doesn't even have horses! However, the modders can do
that, as they have done for Morrowind. But the mounted combat of M&B
works really well, and I don't believe they can mod it just that well.

I also have hard time finishing games, even if I really enjoy them. I
have finished ADOM, but that's about it. Although games like Dominions
and Master of Magic can't really be completed, as *playing* the game
is what matters in them. Not the story or anything. Quite unlike King
of Dragon Pass, which I finally bought. I haven't completed it yet. :)
Got close, though. :D

Janne Joensuu,
Endoperez