So Perez drops us like a bad case of WoW

I guess with Perez gone someone else will have to pickup the Everquest II
torch. Always liked is long posts on WOW's failings and Everquests
virtues. All the same he was a regular contributor, who edited what he
wrote so he will be missed. I guess he and his wife will just have to tell
web-groupies about their on-line exploits.

I still stick by usenet. Frankly some of those web discussion groups are
sometimes contr- ugh I mean moderated. Usenet allows for members like
sayno2/steamkiller to exist. Which if nothing else provides some
interesting filler.

Anyway, I disagree with your choice to go (and you may regret it) but
here's to you.

Hell we'll need a rollcall soon - just to determine who is left. Perez is
right, some people just don't post here as much anymore.

Cheers,

Hawklan

--
chainbreaker

On Mon, 16 May 2005 12:23:59 -0400, "Hawklan" <kris@nospamdnd.ca>
wrote:

>I guess with Perez gone someone else will have to pickup the Everquest II
>torch. Always liked is long posts on WOW's failings and Everquests
>virtues.

Entirely from Bob's point-of-view....... Objectivity is only possible
when criticizing things that literally do not work as advertised.

Two members of my family, one teenage, one in his twenties have
been thoroughly enjoying Wow since it was released, either playing
cooperatively or solo... both top players of AC1, and still enjoy
that. Both tried Everquest 1 (and the AC2 demo) and found
games "uninteresting"--- for them..... Maybe the demographics and
features of EQ2 are slanted towards older-school players... graduates
from EQ1 ?

Anyway, in MMOG, everyone to his/her own taste --hence the bewildering
variety of offerings in this rapidly-getting-crowded marketplace.

> All the same he was a regular contributor, who edited what he
>wrote so he will be missed. I guess he and his wife will just have to tell
>web-groupies about their on-line exploits.

Bob apparently does not take criticism of his elaborately detailed
views too well... may be a problem of mental rigidity with advancing
years. He is definitely going to be more comfortable with the forum
format. Few people on a game forum dealing with a specific game (eg:
Everquest 2) critique the target game vs others in the same genre from
competitive developers. ( If the forum is hosted by the game-company,
and the thread-content is getting "too dangerous", the moderator(s)
may terminate the thread...) Most of the discussions center on
deficiencies, bugs, potential improvements, player help, hints,
planned enhancements...

So, I hope Bob (and his wife) will be happy in the warm cocoon(s) that
they plan on occupying in their later years. May they have a very
happy and healthy retirement ( from usenet ).

John Lewis

Hawklan wrote:
> I guess with Perez gone someone else will have to pickup the Everquest II
> torch. Always liked is long posts on WOW's failings and Everquests
> virtues. All the same he was a regular contributor, who edited what he
> wrote so he will be missed. I guess he and his wife will just have to tell
> web-groupies about their on-line exploits.
>
> I still stick by usenet. Frankly some of those web discussion groups are
> sometimes contr- ugh I mean moderated. Usenet allows for members like
> sayno2/steamkiller to exist. Which if nothing else provides some
> interesting filler.

I don't like web boards because they're slow, slower, slowest. I'm
still a dial-up user and love the speed of the text-only UseNet. The
only web board I'm currently using is Vanguard's because that's all
there is so far. Anyone who thinks web boards host a more intelligent
or on-topic crowd, must be visiting some that I haven't seen yet. The
minute alt.games.vanguard propagates, I'm done with the web forum as the
place has been overrun with clueless newbies lately. The signal to
noise ration has *always* been low on UseNet, and if each individual
reader exercises his/her diligence and filters certain posters &
threads, the place can be a lot more pleasant, too. ;-)

> On Mon, 16 May 2005 12:23:59 -0400, "Hawklan" <kris@nospamdnd.ca>
> wrote:
>
>>I guess with Perez gone someone else will have to pickup the Everquest II
>>torch. Always liked is long posts on WOW's failings and Everquests
>>virtues.
>
> Entirely from Bob's point-of-view....... Objectivity is only possible
> when criticizing things that literally do not work as advertised.
>
> Two members of my family, one teenage, one in his twenties have
> been thoroughly enjoying Wow since it was released, either playing
> cooperatively or solo... both top players of AC1, and still enjoy
> that. Both tried Everquest 1 (and the AC2 demo) and found
> games "uninteresting"--- for them..... Maybe the demographics and
> features of EQ2 are slanted towards older-school players... graduates
> from EQ1 ?

No EQ2 i mainly for newer players actually, and is head and shoulders above
EQ1 and WoW for that matter

they simply tried the wrong game and have no basis to speak off of. Get them
into EQ2

On Mon, 16 May 2005 23:45:24 GMT, "Joiner" <joiner@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 16 May 2005 12:23:59 -0400, "Hawklan" <kris@nospamdnd.ca>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I guess with Perez gone someone else will have to pickup the Everquest II
>>>torch. Always liked is long posts on WOW's failings and Everquests
>>>virtues.
>>
>> Entirely from Bob's point-of-view....... Objectivity is only possible
>> when criticizing things that literally do not work as advertised.
>>
>> Two members of my family, one teenage, one in his twenties have
>> been thoroughly enjoying Wow since it was released, either playing
>> cooperatively or solo... both top players of AC1, and still enjoy
>> that. Both tried Everquest 1 (and the AC2 demo) and found
>> games "uninteresting"--- for them..... Maybe the demographics and
>> features of EQ2 are slanted towards older-school players... graduates
>> from EQ1 ?
>
>No EQ2 i mainly for newer players actually,

Your opinion, of course....

>and is head and shoulders above
>EQ1 and WoW for that matter

Your opinion of course...

>they simply tried the wrong game

Your opinion of course...

> and have no basis to speak off of.

Your opinion of course...

> Get them
>into EQ2

Why ?? They are thoroughly enjoying the Wow player-experience --
and they do have lives other than sitting in front of a
computer-screen and keyboard all day.

<MY PERSONAL OPINION/OBSERVATIONS ON>

Sony is in $$-trouble with EQ2, both with initial demand and
subscription-renewal, and there may be knock-on support and update
repercussions down the road... since Sony's PC businesses are
currently not doing too well overall.

<MY PERSONAL OPINION/OBSERVATIONS OFF>

John Lewis

John Lewis <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote:
>Your opinion, of course....
>Your opinion of course...
>Your opinion of course...
>Your opinion of course...

That's just your opinion.

Ross Ridge

--
l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo] rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca

> On Mon, 16 May 2005 23:45:24 GMT, "Joiner" <joiner@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Your opinion, of course....
>
>>and is head and shoulders above
>>EQ1 and WoW for that matter
>
> Your opinion of course...

yours is biased and like most "know it all WoW" MMORPG players you havent
tried them all. So that makes you less knowledgable, its my job to fix that

Nostromo wrote:
> LMAO, he he...the great thing about getting old for me will be that
> with spawn-camping the time will seem to just fly by quicker :)

And that's another pissy thing. My days right now are only 17 hours, 43
minutes long. And the old timers weren't lying about being able to predict
rain based on how bad their joints hurt, either. Bummer.

--
chainbreaker

On Tue, 17 May 2005 12:09:39 GMT, "Joiner" <joiner@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 16 May 2005 23:45:24 GMT, "Joiner" <joiner@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Your opinion, of course....
>>
>>>and is head and shoulders above
>>>EQ1 and WoW for that matter
>>
>> Your opinion of course...
>

>yours is biased and like most "know it all WoW" MMORPG players you havent
>tried them all.

Obviously you have a reading-comprehension problem --please carefully
read my first posting in this thread again. I personally have not
tried any of the recent batch of MMORPGs. My sons are the current
MMORPG players. I was just reflecting the personal opinions of two
intellectually-bright and excellent players of the genre ( yes, they
are....in the games that they have chosen.). At present, my own
personal preference in the RPG domain is single-player RPGs...since my
present committments and interests conflict with the continuity
required for an enjoyable on-line experience with MMORPG.

> So that makes you less knowledgable

As I said before, I claim little personal knowledge of the current set
of MMORPGs... and I have a real life to lead as well..........at this
time there are other things that have more urgent claims on my
time....

However, I have been surveying the demographics of the current bunch
of MMOGs a little and it strike me from a business point of view that
EQ2 is competitively having a very hard road to hoe, and Sony's long
term support may be weak, due to the current slump in their consumer
businesses.

I do really applaud Sony's very clever "auction-site" move to kill the
Ebay/Paypal/potential-scams when trading real money for in-game items,
and I hope that all other MMOGs follow suit. And Sony gets a listing
percentage too - like Ebay (without the scams) -- imitation is the
sincerest form of flattery.

As for my own views on trading real money for items in a virtual game
--- as opposed to using it for other purposes -- I shall keep them to
myself :) :)

>, its my job to fix that

Yes, God...........

John Lewis

On Tue, 17 May 2005 12:09:39 GMT, Joiner wrote:

> yours is biased and like most "know it all WoW" MMORPG players you havent
> tried them all. So that makes you less knowledgable, its my job to fix that

Could you elaborate how his opinion is biased, and your opinion is
unbiased? Please tell us more about the fascinating subject of an objective
opinion. :)

M.
--
ClamWin, an open source antivirus software for Windows:
http://www.clamwin.com/