Capturing PC Games @ Displayed Resolution

MrMontana

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2003
What equipment do i need to do the following?.
I want to be able to capture, for example I am playing Quake3 @ 80 fps, I want to capture whatever I am seeing on the Monitor, Even If im in windows, i want to capture that aswell. I want to be able to capture any game (anything that is coming out of my video card and into the monitor) therefore i am capturing at the same resolution i am playing, 1200X**** if need be.

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
If your video card has TV, S-Video or Composite OUT you should probably be able to install a capture card with TV, S-Video or Composite IN. Your video card must also be able to output to the monitor and and a TV simultaneously (My card, for example can output either to the monitor or the TV but not both at the same time). Alternatively you may need a card with two VGA OUT ports and an adapter which could convert output from one of the VGA OUT ports to Composite IN or whatever your capture device can take. Then you can start the capture program, minimize it and start the game. Problem is that (to the best of my knowledge) there is no device which allows you to capture at greater than 720x480. Additionally, you may need like 100 Gb of free hard drive space if you want to capture more than 10 minutes of gameplay. I once experimented with capturing X-Box title Dead or Alive. Hmm... Two minutes was something like 3 Gb.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Slava on 02/05/03 01:54 PM.</EM></FONT></P>