what happened to retention?

Last response: in Network Providers
April 9, 2004 10:46:29 PM

Yeah so I've had my ups and downs with Sprint, but I've stayed with them
since '99 mainly because they always offer me a killer deal when
contract renewal ('advantage' agreement) time rolls around.

Last year, retention had given me a CRAZY good deal including a better
plan (750/$40), free PCS to PCS, and 8pm evenings.

Now fast forward 14 months... I'm real happy with everything- my plan's
working out great, I've had no billing issues recently- the ONLY thing
it'd like is a rebate on a new phone. (I've been through a lot of
defective phones, but i haven't gotten any kind of REBATE in *years*)

So I work my way through customer care and get up to retention... I'm
talking to a real nice guy who seems like he's going to help me. HE
OFFERERS ME NOTHING! NO PHONE, NO PLAN, NO DEALS.. NOTHING!!! It's like
they don't even care if h'm under an agreement or not! I was speechless.

Am I missing something? Or has Sprint's policies changed drastically?

More about : happened retention

Anonymous
April 10, 2004 3:49:58 AM

In article <pBGdc.6804$wb4.5059@okepread02>,
GREGORY MITCHELL <GREGORYMITCHELL849843@NOSPAM.COM> wrote:

> Yeah so I've had my ups and downs with Sprint, but I've stayed with them
> since '99 mainly because they always offer me a killer deal when
> contract renewal ('advantage' agreement) time rolls around.
>
> Last year, retention had given me a CRAZY good deal including a better
> plan (750/$40), free PCS to PCS, and 8pm evenings.
>
> Now fast forward 14 months... I'm real happy with everything- my plan's
> working out great, I've had no billing issues recently- the ONLY thing
> it'd like is a rebate on a new phone. (I've been through a lot of
> defective phones, but i haven't gotten any kind of REBATE in *years*)
>
> So I work my way through customer care and get up to retention... I'm
> talking to a real nice guy who seems like he's going to help me. HE
> OFFERERS ME NOTHING! NO PHONE, NO PLAN, NO DEALS.. NOTHING!!!

You already have as good a plan as they offer.
Anonymous
April 10, 2004 4:02:34 AM

"GREGORY MITCHELL" <GREGORYMITCHELL849843@NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message
news:p BGdc.6804$wb4.5059@okepread02...
> Yeah so I've had my ups and downs with Sprint, but I've stayed with them
> since '99 mainly because they always offer me a killer deal when
> contract renewal ('advantage' agreement) time rolls around.
>
> Last year, retention had given me a CRAZY good deal including a better
> plan (750/$40), free PCS to PCS, and 8pm evenings.
>
> Now fast forward 14 months... I'm real happy with everything- my plan's
> working out great, I've had no billing issues recently- the ONLY thing
> it'd like is a rebate on a new phone. (I've been through a lot of
> defective phones, but i haven't gotten any kind of REBATE in *years*)
>
> So I work my way through customer care and get up to retention... I'm
> talking to a real nice guy who seems like he's going to help me. HE
> OFFERERS ME NOTHING! NO PHONE, NO PLAN, NO DEALS.. NOTHING!!! It's like
> they don't even care if h'm under an agreement or not! I was speechless.
>
> Am I missing something? Or has Sprint's policies changed drastically?

Have you tried http://pcshandsetupgrade.sprint.com/ yet?

Bob
Related resources
April 10, 2004 4:02:35 AM

"GREGORY MITCHELL" wrote:
<<Last year, retention had given me a CRAZY good deal including a better
plan (750/$40), free PCS to PCS, and 8pm evenings.
Now fast forward 14 months... I'm real happy with everything- my plan's
working out great, I've had no billing issues recently- the ONLY thing
it'd like is a rebate on a new phone. >>

No offense to you Gregory, but I don't know why people who already have
a great retention plan try to always get more... especially when they
admit they don't have any problems with Sprint. Your plan is very very
nice... if I were you, I would be more than happy with it -- there are
many others who would love to have a plan like yours. I know it sounds
like I am attacking you, but I'm not and please don't read it that way.

If you have had the same phone for 14 months, you are only four months
(I believe) away from qualifying for the handset upgrade program. If
you have swapped out a phone here or there because it was defective
during that time, I would call customer care and tell them so and see if
they can still allow you to get a rebate on a new phone since the
swapout was not your fault.

As far as why they didn't offer you anything since you are out of
contract... I hae no idea. I think it really depends on the rep you
get... but also because so many others have abused the
retention/cancellation department, they may have also tightened the
purse strings there as well.

Hope this helps,
Eric
Anonymous
April 10, 2004 4:02:36 AM

Eric wrote:

> "GREGORY MITCHELL" wrote:
> <<Last year, retention had given me a CRAZY good deal including a better
> plan (750/$40), free PCS to PCS, and 8pm evenings.
> Now fast forward 14 months... I'm real happy with everything- my plan's
> working out great, I've had no billing issues recently- the ONLY thing
> it'd like is a rebate on a new phone. >>
>
> No offense to you Gregory, but I don't know why people who already have
> a great retention plan try to always get more... especially when they
> admit they don't have any problems with Sprint. Your plan is very very
> nice... if I were you, I would be more than happy with it -- there are
> many others who would love to have a plan like yours. I know it sounds
> like I am attacking you, but I'm not and please don't read it that way.
>
> If you have had the same phone for 14 months, you are only four months
> (I believe) away from qualifying for the handset upgrade program. If
> you have swapped out a phone here or there because it was defective
> during that time, I would call customer care and tell them so and see if
> they can still allow you to get a rebate on a new phone since the
> swapout was not your fault.
>
> As far as why they didn't offer you anything since you are out of
> contract... I hae no idea. I think it really depends on the rep you
> get... but also because so many others have abused the
> retention/cancellation department, they may have also tightened the
> purse strings there as well.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Eric

yeah you're prolly right.
i still want a new phone though :-P
-greg
Anonymous
April 10, 2004 4:21:18 AM

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 18:46:29 -0500
GREGORY MITCHELL <GREGORYMITCHELL849843@NOSPAM.COM> wrote:

> Yeah so I've had my ups and downs with Sprint, but I've stayed with them
> since '99 mainly because they always offer me a killer deal when
> contract renewal ('advantage' agreement) time rolls around.
>
> Last year, retention had given me a CRAZY good deal including a better
> plan (750/$40), free PCS to PCS, and 8pm evenings.
>
> Now fast forward 14 months... I'm real happy with everything- my plan's
> working out great, I've had no billing issues recently- the ONLY thing
> it'd like is a rebate on a new phone. (I've been through a lot of
> defective phones, but i haven't gotten any kind of REBATE in *years*)
>
> So I work my way through customer care and get up to retention... I'm
> talking to a real nice guy who seems like he's going to help me. HE
> OFFERERS ME NOTHING! NO PHONE, NO PLAN, NO DEALS.. NOTHING!!! It's like
> they don't even care if h'm under an agreement or not! I was speechless.
>
> Am I missing something? Or has Sprint's policies changed drastically?

thats hte best retention plan you can get, i think. u gotta have ur fone 18
months to get a rebate
Anonymous
April 10, 2004 4:21:19 AM

fusQuanto wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 18:46:29 -0500
> GREGORY MITCHELL <GREGORYMITCHELL849843@NOSPAM.COM> wrote:
>

>>Yeah so I've had my ups and downs with Sprint, but I've stayed with them
>>since '99 mainly because they always offer me a killer deal when
>>contract renewal ('advantage' agreement) time rolls around.
>>
>>Last year, retention had given me a CRAZY good deal including a better
>>plan (750/$40), free PCS to PCS, and 8pm evenings.
>>
>>Now fast forward 14 months... I'm real happy with everything- my plan's
>>working out great, I've had no billing issues recently- the ONLY thing
>>it'd like is a rebate on a new phone. (I've been through a lot of
>>defective phones, but i haven't gotten any kind of REBATE in *years*)
>>
>>So I work my way through customer care and get up to retention... I'm
>>talking to a real nice guy who seems like he's going to help me. HE
>>OFFERERS ME NOTHING! NO PHONE, NO PLAN, NO DEALS.. NOTHING!!! It's like
>>they don't even care if h'm under an agreement or not! I was speechless.
>>
>>Am I missing something? Or has Sprint's policies changed drastically?
>

> thats hte best retention plan you can get, i think. u gotta have ur fone 18
> months to get a rebate

i know my plan is good. if you read what i wrote, i wasn't asking for
any plan upgrades.

the thing that blows my mind is that for the first time ever, sprint
really doesn't seem to care whether or not i'm under an agreement.
Sprint has ALWAYS made good offers to get existing customers back under
an agreement- which is smart for them. As a month to month customer,
i'm going to jump on the first deal that another carrier offers me-
especially with the new laws regarding phone number porting.

I mean come on.. if I really wanted to, I could cancel my account, then
open a new one and get the rebate deal i'm asking retention for now.

Whatever.
Anonymous
April 10, 2004 4:21:20 AM

tom ronson wrote:

> "GREGORY MITCHELL" <GREGORYMITCHELL849843@NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message
>

>>I mean come on.. if I really wanted to, I could cancel my account, then
>>open a new one and get the rebate deal i'm asking retention for now.
>

> Greg, try that link Bob posted ( http://pcshandsetupgrade.sprint.com/ )---
> enter your phone number and it'll tell you if you're eligible for a $150
> credit --- which from the sounds of it you probably are. And yes, you can
> cancel the line to get what you're looking for --- but you probably won't
> get the deal on the plan you got now.
>
> Try that link out tho --- you might be pleasantly surprised.
>
> --tr

> -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-

nope.. i knew about that.. thats' the problem... i had a few lemon
phones last summer, so they won't honor it. Even though they replaced
the phones as "defective", they won't let me since my esn hasn't been
active 18 months. i got in an arguement with two different reps about
the policy. It seems like they are penalizing me becuase *they* shipped
me defective phones.
greg
Anonymous
April 10, 2004 4:50:18 AM

"fusQuanto" <fusQuanto@yahooNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
<snipped>

> thats hte best retention plan you can get, i think. u gotta have ur fone
18
> months to get a rebate

Not just 18 months, but the same phone number on that phone ... for 18
months as well.

I just checked on that link, noticed my daughter's phone is eligible for the
rebate, and she wants to get rid of her A500 & get a new phone ... Now ...
to decide which handset ... :)

Bob
Anonymous
April 10, 2004 6:11:39 AM

In article <evHdc.7413$wb4.5518@okepread02>,
GREGORY MITCHELL <GREGORYMITCHELL849843@NOSPAM.COM> wrote:

> i know my plan is good. if you read what i wrote, i wasn't asking for
> any plan upgrades.
>
> the thing that blows my mind is that for the first time ever, sprint
> really doesn't seem to care whether or not i'm under an agreement.
> Sprint has ALWAYS made good offers to get existing customers back under
> an agreement- which is smart for them. As a month to month customer,
> i'm going to jump on the first deal that another carrier offers me-
> especially with the new laws regarding phone number porting.
>
> I mean come on.. if I really wanted to, I could cancel my account, then
> open a new one and get the rebate deal i'm asking retention for now.

But then you wouldn't have a retention plan for 750 minutes @ $40
Anonymous
April 10, 2004 6:24:28 AM

Eric wrote:

> As far as why they didn't offer you anything since you are out of
> contract... I hae no idea. I think it really depends on the rep you
> get... but also because so many others have abused the
> retention/cancellation department, they may have also tightened the
> purse strings there as well.

Typical. He admits he has no idea, but proceeds to invent an answer
anyway. We've had zero dimunition of folks posting that they've gotten
"retention" deals from what is now the "Cancellation" department.

It's only some blind Sprint apologists that consider getting a retention
deal as abuse. I wonder how anxious they are to insist on paying full
sticker when they buy a new car?
Anonymous
April 10, 2004 6:24:29 AM

"Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote in message

> Typical. He admits he has no idea, but proceeds to invent an answer
> anyway. We've had zero dimunition of folks posting that they've gotten
> "retention" deals from what is now the "Cancellation" department.

That's not what he said, you idiot.

> It's only some blind Sprint apologists that consider getting a retention
> deal as abuse. I wonder how anxious they are to insist on paying full
> sticker when they buy a new car?

Probably as anxious as you are to pay full price to have your proctologist
remove your head from your ass.
Anonymous
April 10, 2004 6:28:25 AM

tom ronson wrote:

> "GREGORY MITCHELL" <GREGORYMITCHELL849843@NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message
>

>>I mean come on.. if I really wanted to, I could cancel my account, then
>>open a new one and get the rebate deal i'm asking retention for now.
>

> Greg, try that link Bob posted ( http://pcshandsetupgrade.sprint.com/ )---
> enter your phone number and it'll tell you if you're eligible for a $150
> credit --- which from the sounds of it you probably are. And yes, you can
> cancel the line to get what you're looking for --- but you probably won't
> get the deal on the plan you got now.
>
> Try that link out tho --- you might be pleasantly surprised.

My 3 month old RL2500 meets the 18 month requirement according to that
web page. Woo hoo. Think I'll get a Sanyo 8200 when they come out.
Anonymous
April 10, 2004 7:46:11 AM

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 02:28:25 GMT
"Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote:

> tom ronson wrote:
>
> > "GREGORY MITCHELL" <GREGORYMITCHELL849843@NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message
> >

> >>I mean come on.. if I really wanted to, I could cancel my account, then
> >>open a new one and get the rebate deal i'm asking retention for now.
> >

> > Greg, try that link Bob posted ( http://pcshandsetupgrade.sprint.com/ )---
> > enter your phone number and it'll tell you if you're eligible for a $150
> > credit --- which from the sounds of it you probably are. And yes, you can
> > cancel the line to get what you're looking for --- but you probably won't
> > get the deal on the plan you got now.
> >
> > Try that link out tho --- you might be pleasantly surprised.
>
> My 3 month old RL2500 meets the 18 month requirement according to that
> web page. Woo hoo. Think I'll get a Sanyo 8200 when they come out.

my 2 day old RL7300 qualifies, as well.
Anonymous
April 10, 2004 8:44:40 AM

> But then you wouldn't have a retention plan for 750 minutes @ $40

I don't know that you'd call it a retention plan. I was two months into a
new 2 yr agreement, found out about the plan, asked if i could get it
(didn't threaten to pay ETF and leave, etc) and was given the plan with no
hassle. Sprint could have easily said that I'd have to wait till the end of
my contract, or some other answer.

Mark L.
Anonymous
April 10, 2004 8:46:36 AM

In article <rmarkoff-C2E4BF.21242709042004@news6.west.earthlink.net>,
rmarkoff@msn.com says...
> Typical. He admits he has no idea, but proceeds to invent an answer
> anyway. We've had zero dimunition of folks posting that they've gotten
> "retention" deals from what is now the "Cancellation" department.
>
> It's only some blind Sprint apologists that consider getting a retention
> deal as abuse. I wonder how anxious they are to insist on paying full
> sticker when they buy a new car?

One of these days, Phillie, all these time completely inventing what
no one has said will actually help you get better at it. Not today,
though, obviously.

By starting with the statement that he has no idea, he's openly
admitting to speculating. It's a perfectly valid form of
conversation when one is speaking to others reasonably (you know,
that form of posting you refuse to utilize).

No one, and that means *no one*, is "insisting" that getting a
retention deal is abuse. Eric *did* say it's been abused. And that
much is true.

--
RØß
O/Siris

In article <evHdc.7413$wb4.5518@okepread02>, GREGORYMITCHELL849843
@NOSPAM.COM says...
> the thing that blows my mind is that for the first time ever, sprint
> really doesn't seem to care whether or not i'm under an agreement.

The right to provide deals on phones has been abused in the past. It
doesn't matter whether customer abused it, or the reps did. The
result is the same either way: the ability to offer phone deals has
been radically curtailed.

--
RØß
O/Siris

In article <sMIdc.7880$wb4.6428@okepread02>, GREGORYMITCHELL849843
@NOSPAM.COM says...
> nope.. i knew about that.. thats' the problem... i had a few lemon
> phones last summer, so they won't honor it. Even though they replaced
> the phones as "defective", they won't let me since my esn hasn't been
> active 18 months. i got in an arguement with two different reps about
> the policy. It seems like they are penalizing me becuase *they* shipped
> me defective phones.
> greg

That is absolutely wrong. If those phones were provided as warranty
replacements, then the equipment history can be examined to show it,
and notes around the time of the swaps will show keywords the make it
clear the phone was *not* a purchase. And, in that case, we are
supposed to go all the way back to the last phone that *was* a
purchase.

And, once we confirm the sequence of events, there's a "transparent"
bill code we can put in place that tells the rebate center we as a
specialist have already confirmed the 18-month requirement. The
rebate center must obey that.

--
RØß
O/Siris

O/Siris wrote:

> That is absolutely wrong. If those phones were provided as warranty
> replacements, then the equipment history can be examined to show it,
> and notes around the time of the swaps will show keywords the make it
> clear the phone was *not* a purchase. And, in that case, we are
> supposed to go all the way back to the last phone that *was* a
> purchase.
>
> And, once we confirm the sequence of events, there's a "transparent"
> bill code we can put in place that tells the rebate center we as a
> specialist have already confirmed the 18-month requirement. The
> rebate center must obey that.

Rob, I've explained my situation to little avail to people at Sprint.
I'm in a similar boat. I have had my handset replaced many times over
the last 19 months or so by my Circuit City warranty. Circuit City has
been great about it, but it's killing my rebates. Is there someone that
I can talk to over at Sprint, or something I can say to the CSA to get
them to think of this as a situation in which I should qualify?

Thanks!
-Mike
April 10, 2004 1:12:08 PM

Re: what happened to retention?

Group: alt.cellular.sprintpcs Date: Sat, Apr 10, 2004, 2:24am (EST+5)
From: rmarkoff@msn.com (Robert M.) wrote:
<<Typical. He admits he has no idea, but proceeds to invent an answer
anyway. We've had zero dimunition of folks posting that they've gotten
"retention" deals from what is now the "Cancellation" department. >>

Its great that even after I say that I would no longer respond to you or
post insults to you, that you can't resist in responding to one of my
posts. Even after you have "plonked" me. What I did was called
"speculation" and offering opinions... something that you freely do on
here. Nothing I said was presented as fact... just opinions... and my
opinions are no more or less valid than yours, no matter how they may
differ.

<<It's only some blind Sprint apologists that consider getting a
retention deal as abuse. I wonder how anxious they are to insist on
paying full sticker when they buy a new car?>>

I didn't say that everyone who has a retention deal were abusing the
system. But certainly, some have while others have not. Calling the
cancellation department and lying and pretending to cancel just to see
if you get a better deal -- especially if one is a relatively new
customer with no history with Sprint and immediately wants the deals
offered to longterm customers -- can be considered abuse. While others
who have been with Sprint for years, and have spotted a better deal with
another provider or whatnot and calls to see if they are eligible for
their plan to be enhanced... I would not consider that to be abuse.
*That* is being a smart consumer.
April 10, 2004 1:21:12 PM

Hi Gregory,

<<nope.. i knew about that.. thats' the problem... i had a few lemon
phones last summer, so they won't honor it. Even though they replaced
the phones as "defective", they won't let me since my esn hasn't been
active 18 months. i got in an arguement with two different reps about
the policy. It seems like they are penalizing me becuase *they* shipped
me defective phones.>>

Yeah, that is not right if Sprint is refusing you the upgrade program
because of defective phones. I cannot remember but were you talking to
the cancellation department when they argued with you? Maybe
re-explaining your situation with them, reminding them about your good
payment history with them, and *possibly* agreeing to another advantage
agreement could help out. They may not be as willing to help out if you
don't give them something in return -- say a new advantage agreement,
which I believe is a requirement of the upgrade program anyway, although
I am not completely sure.

I can't believe that you Sprint wouldn't be able to help you out if you
were willing to re-commit to them. Not an excuse, but maybe the reps
you talked to were having a bad day... or if you have called the
cancellation/retention department many times, it could be noted on your
account to be more strict with you. Maybe becuase you still have four
more months (roughly) before you become eligible for the upgrade program
that they cannot help you until they see that 18 month period has
passed. As others have noted before, try out several different reps (on
different days) and your chances of getting what you want are greatly
improved. Be firm in explaining what you would like and about how you
don't feel the defective phones should play a factor in the upgrade
program.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Eric
Anonymous
April 10, 2004 3:40:39 PM

In article <33fd65380aa1d3dedf5d0ee61aaf0e9b@news.teranews.com>,
O/Siris <robjvargas@sprintpcs.com> wrote:

> In article <sMIdc.7880$wb4.6428@okepread02>, GREGORYMITCHELL849843
> @NOSPAM.COM says...
> > nope.. i knew about that.. thats' the problem... i had a few lemon
> > phones last summer, so they won't honor it. Even though they replaced
> > the phones as "defective", they won't let me since my esn hasn't been
> > active 18 months. i got in an arguement with two different reps about
> > the policy. It seems like they are penalizing me becuase *they* shipped
> > me defective phones.
> > greg
> >

> That is absolutely wrong. If those phones were provided as warranty
> replacements, then the equipment history can be examined to show it,
> and notes around the time of the swaps will show keywords the make it
> clear the phone was *not* a purchase. And, in that case, we are
> supposed to go all the way back to the last phone that *was* a
> purchase.
>
> And, once we confirm the sequence of events, there's a "transparent"
> bill code we can put in place that tells the rebate center we as a
> specialist have already confirmed the 18-month requirement. The
> rebate center must obey that.

So why wouldn't have that been done when he called?
Anonymous
April 10, 2004 3:40:40 PM

> So why wouldn't have that been done when he called?

A few reasons (and I'm not saying that any of them apply to Mike- I don't
know his situation)-

- poor payment history
- low credit score
- low revenue potential (based on account history)

You asked why it wouldn't have been done- there are three reasons- they're
could possibly be more.
Anonymous
April 10, 2004 3:50:29 PM

In article <a3012770b249a3510c728c19c2f5e875@news.teranews.com>,
O/Siris <robjvargas@sprintpcs.com> wrote:

> In article <rmarkoff-C2E4BF.21242709042004@news6.west.earthlink.net>,
> rmarkoff@msn.com says...
> > Typical. He admits he has no idea, but proceeds to invent an answer
> > anyway. We've had zero dimunition of folks posting that they've gotten
> > "retention" deals from what is now the "Cancellation" department.
> >
> > It's only some blind Sprint apologists that consider getting a retention
> > deal as abuse. I wonder how anxious they are to insist on paying full
> > sticker when they buy a new car?
> >

> One of these days, all these time completely inventing what
> no one has said will actually help you get better at it. Not today,
> though, obviously.

Check below Your claim of invention is a complete LIE.

> By starting with the statement that he has no idea, he's openly
> admitting to speculating. It's a perfectly valid form of
> conversation when one is speaking to others reasonably (you know,
> that form of posting you refuse to utilize).
>
> No one, and that means *no one*, is "insisting" that getting a
> retention deal is abuse. Eric *did* say it's been abused. And that
> much is true.

Not in the last day, but 30 seconds in Google
(search on Abuse and retention in alt.cellular.sprintPCS)
finds many folks complaining about it.

Among others:

Steven Scharf
"Draggar De'Vir"
"vzwguy"
"Roy N."
"Isaiah Beard"

and you left out what was made up that I objected to:

Eric wrote:

> As far as why they didn't offer you anything since you are out of
> contract... I hae no idea. I think it really depends on the rep you
> get... but also because so many others have abused the
> retention/cancellation department, they may have also tightened the
> purse strings there as well.

To which I correctly answered:

> > Typical. He admits he has no idea, but proceeds to invent an answer
> > anyway. We've had zero dimunition of folks posting that they've gotten
> > "retention" deals from what is now the "Cancellation" department.
> >
> > It's only some blind Sprint apologists that consider getting a retention
> > deal as abuse. I wonder how anxious they are to insist on paying full
> > sticker when they buy a new car?

Anonymous
April 10, 2004 3:52:57 PM

In article <YYKdc.4037$A_4.2175@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
"Mark L." <ekbbbb1334@earthlinkdotnet> wrote:

> "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote in message
> >
> > But then you wouldn't have a retention plan for 750 minutes @ $40
>
> I don't know that you'd call it a retention plan. I was two months into a
> new 2 yr agreement, found out about the plan, asked if i could get it
> (didn't threaten to pay ETF and leave, etc) and was given the plan with no
> hassle. Sprint could have easily said that I'd have to wait till the end of
> my contract, or some other answer.

When was that?, we've had SprintPCS employees claim that retention plans
are only given to out of contract people or people at the tail end of
their contract.

If one can still get a "retention" plan 2 months into a 2 year contract
a lot of people would be interested in learning that.
Anonymous
April 10, 2004 4:52:28 PM

In article <onLdc.4065$A_4.272@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
Mike <spamtrap@zbuffer.com> wrote:

> O/Siris wrote:
>
> > That is absolutely wrong. If those phones were provided as warranty
> > replacements, then the equipment history can be examined to show it,
> > and notes around the time of the swaps will show keywords the make it
> > clear the phone was *not* a purchase. And, in that case, we are
> > supposed to go all the way back to the last phone that *was* a
> > purchase.
> >
> > And, once we confirm the sequence of events, there's a "transparent"
> > bill code we can put in place that tells the rebate center we as a
> > specialist have already confirmed the 18-month requirement. The
> > rebate center must obey that.
> >

> Rob, I've explained my situation to little avail to people at Sprint.
> I'm in a similar boat. I have had my handset replaced many times over
> the last 19 months or so by my Circuit City warranty. Circuit City has
> been great about it, but it's killing my rebates. Is there someone that
> I can talk to over at Sprint, or something I can say to the CSA to get
> them to think of this as a situation in which I should qualify?

Exactly my point. We are told what "should" happen, but real world
experiences are different.

Maybe Executive Services needs to be called if *2 aren't doing what Rib
says they should?

866-519-5698
Anonymous
April 10, 2004 6:46:47 PM

"tom ronson" <tonostuff@blahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote in message
>
> > My 3 month old RL2500 meets the 18 month requirement according to that
> > web page. Woo hoo. Think I'll get a Sanyo 8200 when they come out.
>
> Hmmm, looks like the page isn't getting fed any data --- my three week old
> 7300's qualify in September.

Curious, as it's right on for all three of my phones. My daughter's A500 is
eligible right now, and my 4700 & 5300 are eligible in June.

Bob
Anonymous
April 10, 2004 7:40:52 PM

> "Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>
> > Curious, as it's right on for all three of my phones.
>
> Perhaps they batch feed the application? But Phylisis' acertion would say
> its in greater than 3 month bites? Oh well.
>
> Do you still use the 4700? That was a great little phone you recommnded to
> me quite a while ago.
>
> --TR

Yup. My wife has the 4700. Works like a champ.

Bob::who still has an unactivated 3500 in the charger ... :) ::
Anonymous
April 10, 2004 8:29:47 PM

In article <l2Vdc.3694$k05.1188@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
Mike <spamtrap@zbuffer.com> wrote:

> I got a $640 bill for adding a second line to my account in
> September/October

Sounds like there's a story there some of us might find educational to
learn about.
Anonymous
April 10, 2004 8:29:48 PM

"Mike" <spamtrap@zbuffer.com> wrote in message

> Oh wait. Are you talking about the 6 minute call quotas? In my
> experience it's either not there or they don't enforce it - or maybe I'm
> just getting people that aren't good at meeting their quota. I've had
> problems, but feeling rushed has never been one of them. I guess I'm
lucky.
> -mike

Nobody other than Robert has ever posted anything about this 6 minute limit.
He has it confused with the six minute AVERAGE call time the reps are
expected to meet. Your calls have easily averaged out with the hundreds of
one and two minute calls they take every day.

And Robert- where do these experiences fall on your Customer Service scale-
sounds like they have treated him well. There seems to be more posts of
this nature these days- I guess things have gotten better.
Anonymous
April 10, 2004 10:50:49 PM

> CSRs are supposed (they're often strictly held to this) have an average
> "handle time" of just 6 minutes. Doesn't allow them time to page through
> your account and see what's happened. And SprintPCS is so anxious to
> collect $150 ETF's that many functions trigger it automatically in their
> software (as you experienced).

Oh, man- I almost missed this one. Phil just said that they have an AVERAGE
handle time of 6 minutes. You just blew your own little conspiracy theory
out of the water, troll. For every one minute call they take, they can
spend 11 minutes with the next customer and still be at a six minute
average.

Phil was wrong.
Phil just showed himself to be wrong.
Anonymous
April 11, 2004 1:56:59 AM

In article <onLdc.4065$A_4.272@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
spamtrap@zbuffer.com says...
> Rob, I've explained my situation to little avail to people at Sprint.
> I'm in a similar boat. I have had my handset replaced many times over
> the last 19 months or so by my Circuit City warranty. Circuit City has
> been great about it, but it's killing my rebates. Is there someone that
> I can talk to over at Sprint, or something I can say to the CSA to get
> them to think of this as a situation in which I should qualify?

Ah, you used Circuit City's return policy. Sorry, I didn't catch
that. My understanding from back then was that Circuit City would
indeed issue a new phone. And that, in turn, doesn't show in our
systems as a warranty replacement.

That's a tough one. Partly, it's because stores like Circuit City
included satisfaction guarantees within their extended periods, while
ours is just the manufacturer's warranty.

End result: yeah, I think the other reps were right after all. Your
phone doesn't qualify until it's been active for 18 months.

--
RØß
O/Siris

In article <dqudnU3rKN4mheXdRVn-gg@adelphia.com>,
scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net says...
> A few reasons (and I'm not saying that any of them apply to Mike- I don't
> know his situation)-
>
> - poor payment history
> - low credit score
> - low revenue potential (based on account history)
>
> You asked why it wouldn't have been done- there are three reasons- they're
> could possibly be more.

Feasible, certainly, but none of them are applicable under Handset
Upgrade Program. As long as the account is *now* in good standing,
it either qualifies or it doesn't. Mike brought up Circuit City
replacements, which I hadn't noticed before today. Those would count
as new phones in our system.

--
RØß
O/Siris

In article <AJXdc.4661$A_4.1027@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
spamtrap@zbuffer.com says...
> Oh wait. Are you talking about the 6 minute call quotas? In my
> experience it's either not there or they don't enforce it - or maybe I'm
> just getting people that aren't good at meeting their quota. I've had
> problems, but feeling rushed has never been one of them. I guess I'm lucky.
> -mike

Oh, now you've gone and done it. You've questioned one of Phillie's
most dogmatic claims of SPCS. You're no longer of interest to him,
I'm sure.

--
RØß
O/Siris

In article <rmarkoff-0CA8A5.06502810042004@news6.west.earthlink.net>,
rmarkoff@msn.com says...
> Not in the last day, but 30 seconds in Google
> (search on Abuse and retention in alt.cellular.sprintPCS)
> finds many folks complaining about it.
>
> Among others:
>
> Steven Scharf
> "Draggar De'Vir"
> "vzwguy"
> "Roy N."
> "Isaiah Beard"

Suddenly no quotes to provide, eh, Phillie? Another lie you've been
caught in, and you're simply not enough of a decent human being to
admit it.

NO ONE has EVER said getting a retention plan is abuse. They *have*
said the system has been abused, and it has.

--
RØß
O/Siris

O/Siris <0siris@spr?ntpcs.com> wrote:

> NO ONE has EVER said getting a retention plan is abuse. They *have*
> said the system has been abused, and it has.

I think I've come closer than anyone else. I *do* think that calling up and
threatening to cancel when you have no intention of cancelling is abusive and
wrong. Calling and asking for a retention deal, in and of itself, is not
abusive.

April 11, 2004 2:10:16 AM

O/Siris wrote:

> In article <onLdc.4065$A_4.272@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
> spamtrap@zbuffer.com says...
>
>>Rob, I've explained my situation to little avail to people at Sprint.
>>I'm in a similar boat. I have had my handset replaced many times over
>>the last 19 months or so by my Circuit City warranty. Circuit City has
>>been great about it, but it's killing my rebates. Is there someone that
>>I can talk to over at Sprint, or something I can say to the CSA to get
>>them to think of this as a situation in which I should qualify?
>>

> Ah, you used Circuit City's return policy. Sorry, I didn't catch
> that. My understanding from back then was that Circuit City would
> indeed issue a new phone. And that, in turn, doesn't show in our
> systems as a warranty replacement.
>
> That's a tough one. Partly, it's because stores like Circuit City
> included satisfaction guarantees within their extended periods, while
> ours is just the manufacturer's warranty.
>
> End result: yeah, I think the other reps were right after all. Your
> phone doesn't qualify until it's been active for 18 months.

Well, to be fair, I'm not the OP, I just have a related problem, so I
suspect your reply to the OP, who appeared to have gone through Sprint
was correct.

Thanks for your information on this.
-mike
Anonymous
April 11, 2004 2:22:38 AM

In article <7d4982a352bda7523bd3acf4231e9d3c@news.teranews.com>,
O/Siris <0siris@sprîntpcs.com> wrote:

> In article <rmarkoff-0CA8A5.06502810042004@news6.west.earthlink.net>,
> rmarkoff@msn.com says...
> > Not in the last day, but 30 seconds in Google
> > (search on Abuse and retention in alt.cellular.sprintPCS)
> > finds many folks complaining about it.
> >
> > Among others:
> >
> > Steven Scharf
> > "Draggar De'Vir"
> > "vzwguy"
> > "Roy N."
> > "Isaiah Beard"
> >

> Suddenly no quotes to provide? Another lie you've been
> caught in, and you're simply not enough of a decent human being to
> admit it.

You sir are the LIAR, I gave full instructions on how to find them in
Google. Now you answer the question. is it abuse if a customer seeks a
retention deal? Or are you just upset because I lifted the veil off the
secret policies of getting a Retention Deal.

Time to repost that FAQ.
Anonymous
April 11, 2004 2:22:39 AM

> In article <7d4982a352bda7523bd3acf4231e9d3c@news.teranews.com>,

> You sir are the LIAR, I gave full instructions on how to find them in
> Google. Now you answer the question. is it abuse if a customer seeks a
> retention deal? Or are you just upset because I lifted the veil off the
> secret policies of getting a Retention Deal.

Hmmmmm- a quick google of the word "childish" brings up your screen names.
By the same logic, one could infer that you are childish.

> Time to repost that FAQ.

Yeah- I agree. I've been working on it, and it now includes even more stupid
troll statements.
Anonymous
April 11, 2004 2:23:45 AM

In article <5030979270b8eabc0cf023568449a0be@news.teranews.com>,
O/Siris <0siris@sprîntpcs.com> wrote:

> Feasible, certainly, but none of them are applicable under Handset
> Upgrade Program. As long as the account is *now* in good standing,
> it either qualifies or it doesn't. Mike brought up Circuit City
> replacements, which I hadn't noticed before today. Those would count
> as new phones in our system.

A Circuit City warranty replacement copunts as a new phone? Another
example of SprintPCS being customer unfriendly; but thats why it rates
Worst for Customer Service.
Anonymous
April 11, 2004 5:23:09 AM

In article <rmarkoff-DDBE2E.17234510042004@news6.west.earthlink.net>,
rmarkoff@msn.com says...
> A Circuit City warranty replacement copunts as a new phone? Another
> example of SprintPCS being customer unfriendly; but thats why it rates
> Worst for Customer Service.

For a *Circuit City* warranty, yes. Had the phone been under
Manufacturer's warranty, Circuit City could have arranged replacement
via a SPCS store. They chose to provide an internal replacement.
Bully for them *and* for the customer. But it resets the 18 month
clock anyway. After all, Circuit provided a new phone.

--
RØß
O/Siris

In article <rmarkoff-E63E62.17223810042004@news6.west.earthlink.net>,
rmarkoff@msn.com says...

> You sir are the LIAR, I gave full instructions on how to find them in
> Google. Now you answer the question. is it abuse if a customer seeks a
> retention deal? Or are you just upset because I lifted the veil off the
> secret policies of getting a Retention Deal.

Sure you did, Phillie. Just like you posted the URL to where SPCS
promised to release the Kyocera 7135 (you didn't).

The only thing upsetting me is your pathological inability to have a
decent conversation.

--
RØß
O/Siris

> When was that?, we've had SprintPCS employees claim that retention plans
> are only given to out of contract people or people at the tail end of
> their contract.
>
> If one can still get a "retention" plan 2 months into a 2 year contract
> a lot of people would be interested in learning that.

Ok, here's the story:

December 31st, 2003 I called up Sprint PCS and requested 7PM nights. They
gave that to me, and told me I'd have to reup my contract for 2yrs in order
to get that feature. No problem, I told them.

End of Jan, or beginning of Feb. 2004 I found out from my ex-wife of all
people, that you could get 750AT for $40. She is a Sprint landline customer
and was solicited by Sprint to get Sprint PCS service. She told them that
she didn't think that she should get service because a couple of years ago
we had Sprint PCS service and she had some outrageous bill, that included
roaming charges for a period of time that it was impossible for her to use
her phone (she was on an Army Field Training Excercise and didn't have her
phone with her, thus she couldn't have made the calls. Someone else's
charges were put onto our bill somehow). Anyway, they countered with the
750 AT for $40 deal. She was given this contract as a brand new customer
(or returning customer, take your pick).

So, when I heard about this, I called *2, told them that I had heard about
the deal, and asked if I could get it. I was put on hold for a few minutes
while the CSR "verified whether or not I was eligible for the rate plan".
He came back onto the line and said I could have the plan.

750AT
Unlimited N/W
Nights @8PM
Unlimited PCS-PCS
2-month trial of vision
$40.

$5 nights @ 7PM (gonna drop this though).

Mark L.
Anonymous
April 11, 2004 7:51:31 AM

> I can't believe that you Sprint wouldn't be able to help you out if you
> were willing to re-commit to them.

That was the whole reason for my post!... I spoke to a really nice guy
in retention who offered me NOTHING-- NOTHING in exchange for going
under a new agreement! I talked with him for about 10 minutes about the
upgrade program, and when i realized i wasn't getting anywhere i said-

"if you can't offer me a rebate, what *can* you offer me for signing a
new agreement?"--

he replied "well all I have is 7 pm evenings, but.. oh... that's
probably not even worth it for you since you have 8pm already."

Sprint doesn't give a rat's ass weather or not I'm under an agreement!
This is very out of character for them.

-Greg
Anonymous
April 11, 2004 7:56:23 AM

"Mark L." <ekbbbb1334@earthlinkdotnet> wrote in message

> "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote in message
>
> > When was that?, we've had SprintPCS employees claim that retention plans
> > are only given to out of contract people or people at the tail end of
> > their contract.
> >
> > If one can still get a "retention" plan 2 months into a 2 year contract
> > a lot of people would be interested in learning that.
>
> Ok, here's the story:
>
> December 31st, 2003 I called up Sprint PCS and requested 7PM nights. They
> gave that to me, and told me I'd have to reup my contract for 2yrs in
order
> to get that feature. No problem, I told them.
>
> End of Jan, or beginning of Feb. 2004 I found out from my ex-wife of all
> people, that you could get 750AT for $40. She is a Sprint landline
customer
> and was solicited by Sprint to get Sprint PCS service. She told them that
> she didn't think that she should get service because a couple of years ago
> we had Sprint PCS service and she had some outrageous bill, that included
> roaming charges for a period of time that it was impossible for her to use
> her phone (she was on an Army Field Training Excercise and didn't have her
> phone with her, thus she couldn't have made the calls. Someone else's
> charges were put onto our bill somehow). Anyway, they countered with the
> 750 AT for $40 deal. She was given this contract as a brand new customer
> (or returning customer, take your pick).
>
> So, when I heard about this, I called *2, told them that I had heard about
> the deal, and asked if I could get it. I was put on hold for a few
minutes
> while the CSR "verified whether or not I was eligible for the rate plan".
> He came back onto the line and said I could have the plan.
>
> 750AT
> Unlimited N/W
> Nights @8PM
> Unlimited PCS-PCS
> 2-month trial of vision
> $40.
>
> $5 nights @ 7PM (gonna drop this though).
>

> Mark L.

Mark, dropping the N & W @ 7:00 PM will not negate your two year AA.

Bob
Anonymous
April 11, 2004 9:18:33 AM

> Mark, dropping the N & W @ 7:00 PM will not negate your two year AA.
>
> Bob

I know, but for me 8PM is just as good as 7PM, I don't care about the 2yr
AA. If I'm ever not happy with the service, I'll pay the ETF... but so far
so good. When I added the 7PM option, I added it because I thought I might
use it more than I actually do, and the calls that I did end up making were
mostly in the 8-9PM bracket, as opposed to the 7-8PM timeframe. I
admittedly signed up because, at the time, it was the last day you could get
it (they have since renewed the promotion twice I believe). I think I'm
gonna just stick with the free N/W starting at 8.

Mark L.
April 11, 2004 3:10:45 PM

(GREGORY MITCHELL) wrote:
<<Sprint doesn't give a rat's ass weather or not I'm under an agreement!
This is very out of character for them. >>

Hmmm, that is very out of character for them to not even seem to care.
My advice to you would be just to wait a week or a month... or closer to
your 18 month timeline and see what they can do for you then. Calling
every day or twice a day runs the risk of them notating it on your
account and being even less willing to work with you in the future.

Shop around and see what other deals and offers other carriers in your
area are offering. I have heard that calling them up and instead of
saying "what kind of deals can I get?" -- rather say something like "I
was looking at Verizon/T-Mobile/Cingular and they have such and such
deal with such and such specials and was wondering if something like
that could be matched for me?". I know I explained that pretty poorly,
but if you call and say you have seen better phone and plan deals with
an alternate carrier, that may push them to offer you something extra
and for you to get what you want.

Of course, all of this is opinion and I have no idea if this would work,
but it doesn't hurt to try.

Hope this helps and good luck,
Eric
Anonymous
April 11, 2004 4:44:55 PM

> > I can't believe that you Sprint wouldn't be able to help you out if you
> > were willing to re-commit to them.
>
> That was the whole reason for my post!... I spoke to a really nice guy
> in retention who offered me NOTHING-- NOTHING in exchange for going
> under a new agreement! I talked with him for about 10 minutes about the
> upgrade program, and when i realized i wasn't getting anywhere i said-
>
> "if you can't offer me a rebate, what *can* you offer me for signing a
> new agreement?"--
>
> he replied "well all I have is 7 pm evenings, but.. oh... that's
> probably not even worth it for you since you have 8pm already."
>
> Sprint doesn't give a rat's ass weather or not I'm under an agreement!
> This is very out of character for them.
>
> -Greg

Well then, I see three different directions for you to go, Either buy a
phone now, or wait till you qualify for a rebate, or change cellular
companies ...

Bob
Anonymous
April 12, 2004 3:24:35 AM

The last time I managed a free phone it was actually the CSR's idea at a
store about a month ago. He and I were talking about the new phones and I
mentioned that I wished I could get a new phone at a price even near what
the new customers are paying. He looks at my phone and wonders out loud if
it would pass diagnostics. He comes back and says it failed several tests
(even though it has been working fine). Got a new phone out of the deal for
a price even less than a new customer would pay.

-F

"GREGORY MITCHELL" <GREGORYMITCHELL849843@NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message
news:p BGdc.6804$wb4.5059@okepread02...
> Yeah so I've had my ups and downs with Sprint, but I've stayed with them
> since '99 mainly because they always offer me a killer deal when
> contract renewal ('advantage' agreement) time rolls around.
>
> Last year, retention had given me a CRAZY good deal including a better
> plan (750/$40), free PCS to PCS, and 8pm evenings.
>
> Now fast forward 14 months... I'm real happy with everything- my plan's
> working out great, I've had no billing issues recently- the ONLY thing
> it'd like is a rebate on a new phone. (I've been through a lot of
> defective phones, but i haven't gotten any kind of REBATE in *years*)
>
> So I work my way through customer care and get up to retention... I'm
> talking to a real nice guy who seems like he's going to help me. HE
> OFFERERS ME NOTHING! NO PHONE, NO PLAN, NO DEALS.. NOTHING!!! It's like
> they don't even care if h'm under an agreement or not! I was speechless.
>
> Am I missing something? Or has Sprint's policies changed drastically?
Anonymous
April 12, 2004 3:26:09 AM

In article <Tskec.16928$jR6.2432@fe2.texas.rr.com>,
"ZJ Driver" <cm_fern@hotmail.com> wrote:

> The last time I managed a free phone it was actually the CSR's idea at a
> store about a month ago. He and I were talking about the new phones and I
> mentioned that I wished I could get a new phone at a price even near what
> the new customers are paying. He looks at my phone and wonders out loud if
> it would pass diagnostics. He comes back and says it failed several tests
> (even though it has been working fine). Got a new phone out of the deal for
> a price even less than a new customer would pay.

Sounds like you had a Samsung A500 or earlier.
!