Sign in with
Your question

Antenna for my DIR-655

Last response: in Wireless Networking
December 29, 2012 2:50:28 PM

So I just got myself a nice little DIR-655 for $20. It beats my old router, Wireless G, 100Mbps Ethernet. The 655 actually does pretty good, I've had no serious problems so far, but I just want to boost the wireless a little bit, with out spending much. So I was looking into Third Party wireless antennae.

Do you believe one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RP-SMA-2-4-GHz-16dBi-WIFI-Boost...

would be worth $4?

If so, do you believe there would be much gain over the default antennae?

More about : antenna dir 655

a b F Wireless
December 29, 2012 3:35:24 PM

You won't boost the actual speed as the wireless G and wireless N have a max bandwidth of 54 mbs and 300 mbs with some wireless N routers having a max of 450 mbs. What you may be able to do is extend your wireless coverage area somewhat with that larger antennae. But unless you can find someone that has actually done the change you woun't know for sure what the added difference will be.
m
l
December 30, 2012 2:30:41 AM

inzone said:
You won't boost the actual speed as the wireless G and wireless N have a max bandwidth of 54 mbs and 300 mbs with some wireless N routers having a max of 450 mbs. What you may be able to do is extend your wireless coverage area somewhat with that larger antennae. But unless you can find someone that has actually done the change you woun't know for sure what the added difference will be.

The speeds are great, I do indeed just want to boost the range a bit. It's in the basement of my three story house, and even though I get a good enough signal that I shouldn't be complaining, I am just wondering if the antenna I mentioned would boost that at all.
m
l
Related resources
a b F Wireless
December 30, 2012 9:21:54 AM

You have 2 issues here. First I suspect those antenna have bogus stats. It is very strange they do not use the proper terminology of omni directional. If you compare just about every other omni direction antenna that is 15db or more from reputable manufactures you will find they are 4 to 6 feet in length. Not too easy to use indoors. Since antenna length is a pretty good indicator of gain I would suspect these are about 7-9db of gain. Now if they are 5G antenna they could be 15db since they are shorter.

Your next problem depending on what country you live in is you are limited to how much effective power you transmit. The router already transmits very close to the legal maximum. If you increase it you run the risk of a $10,000 fine for a first offense in the US. Not that I have ever heard of the FCC actually doing anything.

You will need to buy 3 antenna. You would likely degrade your performance because of how 802.11N uses antenna if you only upgraded 1.

How well it will work from the basement is a tough call. The antenna are designed to send most the signal horizontally parallel to the ground. You sometime get better results by laying a router on its side.

m
l
December 30, 2012 4:10:56 PM

I'm not worried about the maximum transmittable power going over, considering the antennae will still run off the routers own power, which in theory should not change. Also, I have the antennae already positioned in a way that two of them are not standing completely erect, (kind of like this: http://i.imgur.com/evfCS.png) and are at a 60 degree angle, so that the upstairs gets wireless coverage. I'm going to go ahead with this experiment and purchase three antennae and see if they increase the range. It's only $15 either way.
m
l
a b F Wireless
December 30, 2012 8:19:49 PM

I would also not worry about it... mostly just a warning that you do not advertise the fact you are doing it...a neighbor might report you just for spite.

The regulation is based on something they call effective signal level. Antenna would not be worth doing if they did not actually increase the power you transmit at. The radio itself still puts out the same power but now more of that signal is converted to usable waves with the larger antenna. In fact for every 3db of antenna it doubles the output. So if your antenna would turn out to be 9db you are getting 8 times the output power.
m
l
!