  • Oblivion
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
May 19, 2005 9:27:15 PM

on Fileplanet now.

http://www.fileplanet.com/153570/download/The-Elder-Scr...

And what's with all the carrots ?

More about : elder scrolls oblivion trailer

Anonymous
May 19, 2005 9:54:00 PM

dawg wrote:
> So what. They still make the best non linear RPG's on the market.
None of
> the bugs I've met in Betheda's games were game killers. And,with a
world
> that size and with hundreds or even thousands of NPC's and tens of
> thousands words of dialogue and story(icluding in-game books!)that
quite an
> achievement.Don't you think?

I'll trade you 1000 morrowind npcs for one of the voiced fallout NPCs,
and throw in 100,000 daggerfall npcs for free.

Did you know that in daggerfall if you go to a very small village, the
entirely randomly created quests and dialogue usually end up looking
like :

Sarah Micker says "Help ! You must help me rescue Sarah Micker from the
evil villian Sarah Micker who has kidnapped her ! Sarah Micker might
know where they have gone !"

They went in the right direction shrinking the scope drastically for
morrowind, but they have many of the same problems still. If oblivion
shrinks the focus even further and improves the detail it will be a
good thing.
May 19, 2005 11:57:12 PM

On Thu, 19 May 2005 10:58:56 -0600, James Garvin
<jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote:

>Mark Morrison wrote:
>
>> on Fileplanet now.
>>
>> http://www.fileplanet.com/153570/download/The-Elder-Scr...
>
>DIE FILE PLANET DIE!
>Get it from the source: http://www.morrowind.com/downloads/media_movies.htm

Personally I'd rather get it from the service I'm already paying for,
and get maximum bandwidth, rather than make Bethesda pay for the
bandwidth, but that's just me...

And what's with all the carrots ?
May 19, 2005 11:57:13 PM

On Thu, 19 May 2005 19:57:12 +0100, Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com>
wrote:

>Personally I'd rather get it from the service I'm already paying for,
>and get maximum bandwidth, rather than make Bethesda pay for the
>bandwidth, but that's just me...

Yes, God forbid that companies pay for their own advertising. Now if
you'll excuse me, I have to go mail my monthly checks to ABC, CBS, NBC
and FOX.
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 11:57:14 PM

On Thu, 19 May 2005 19:15:36 GMT, drocket <drocket@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 19 May 2005 19:57:12 +0100, Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Personally I'd rather get it from the service I'm already paying for,
>>and get maximum bandwidth, rather than make Bethesda pay for the
>>bandwidth, but that's just me...
>
>Yes, God forbid that companies pay for their own advertising. Now if
>you'll excuse me, I have to go mail my monthly checks to ABC, CBS, NBC
>and FOX.

I've just watched the trailer and I think I may need to upgrade again. At
least the processor anyway as I have a top end graphics card. The ingame
graphics look as good as the prerendered stuff. If they can actually manage to
fill the world with interesting things rather than a vast wasteland with
nothing in it this could be huge.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 3:11:02 AM

drocket wrote:
> On Thu, 19 May 2005 19:57:12 +0100, Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Personally I'd rather get it from the service I'm already paying for,
>>and get maximum bandwidth, rather than make Bethesda pay for the
>>bandwidth, but that's just me...
>

> Yes, God forbid that companies pay for their own advertising. Now if
> you'll excuse me, I have to go mail my monthly checks to ABC, CBS, NBC
> and FOX.

ROTFLMAO
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 6:28:00 AM

drocket <drocket@hotmail.com> once tried to test me with:

> Yes, God forbid that companies pay for their own advertising. Now if
> you'll excuse me, I have to go mail my monthly checks to ABC, CBS, NBC
> and FOX.

You misspelled Faux.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 8:24:29 AM

"Mark Morrison" <drdpikeuk@aol.com> wrote in message
> on Fileplanet now.
>
> http://www.fileplanet.com/153570/download/The-Elder-Scr...
>
> --

Was that my imagination, or is that Patrick Stewart's voice in the trailer?
"These are the final days..." especially sounded like the old ST:TNG opener
line.
May 20, 2005 10:50:25 AM

Thus spake Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com>, Thu, 19 May
2005 19:28:53 GMT, Anno Domini:

>On Thu, 19 May 2005 19:15:36 GMT, drocket <drocket@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 19 May 2005 19:57:12 +0100, Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Personally I'd rather get it from the service I'm already paying for,
>>>and get maximum bandwidth, rather than make Bethesda pay for the
>>>bandwidth, but that's just me...
>>
>>Yes, God forbid that companies pay for their own advertising. Now if
>>you'll excuse me, I have to go mail my monthly checks to ABC, CBS, NBC
>>and FOX.
>
>I've just watched the trailer and I think I may need to upgrade again. At
>least the processor anyway as I have a top end graphics card. The ingame
>graphics look as good as the prerendered stuff. If they can actually manage to
>fill the world with interesting things rather than a vast wasteland with
>nothing in it this could be huge.

We're taking Bethesda here, with their BUGs(tm), cardboard NPCs,
whack-a-mole skill system & great storylines for the over-creative
fill-in-the-multitude-of-blanks personality types, errr...right?

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

May 20, 2005 10:50:26 AM

On Fri, 20 May 2005 06:50:25 +1000, Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote:

>Thus spake Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com>, Thu, 19 May
>2005 19:28:53 GMT, Anno Domini:
>
>>On Thu, 19 May 2005 19:15:36 GMT, drocket <drocket@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>>Yes, God forbid that companies pay for their own advertising. Now if
>>>you'll excuse me, I have to go mail my monthly checks to ABC, CBS, NBC
>>>and FOX.
>>
>>I've just watched the trailer and I think I may need to upgrade again. At
>>least the processor anyway as I have a top end graphics card. The ingame
>>graphics look as good as the prerendered stuff. If they can actually manage to
>>fill the world with interesting things rather than a vast wasteland with
>>nothing in it this could be huge.
>
>We're taking Bethesda here, with their BUGs(tm), cardboard NPCs,
>whack-a-mole skill system & great storylines for the over-creative
>fill-in-the-multitude-of-blanks personality types, errr...right?

Thanks for reminding me! What was I thinking?! Still, there will probably be
an editor so people can get to work straight away adding content.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 10:50:26 AM

"Nostromo" <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote in message
> Thus spake Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com>, Thu, 19
May
> 2005 19:28:53 GMT, Anno Domini:
>
> >On Thu, 19 May 2005 19:15:36 GMT, drocket <drocket@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >>Yes, God forbid that companies pay for their own advertising. Now if
> >>you'll excuse me, I have to go mail my monthly checks to ABC, CBS, NBC
> >>and FOX.
> >
> >I've just watched the trailer and I think I may need to upgrade again. At
> >least the processor anyway as I have a top end graphics card. The ingame
> >graphics look as good as the prerendered stuff. If they can actually
manage to
> >fill the world with interesting things rather than a vast wasteland with
> >nothing in it this could be huge.
>
> We're taking Bethesda here, with their BUGs(tm), cardboard NPCs,
> whack-a-mole skill system & great storylines for the over-creative
> fill-in-the-multitude-of-blanks personality types, errr...right?
>
> --
> A killfile is a friend for life.
>
> Replace 'spamfree' with the other word for 'maze' to reply via email.
May 20, 2005 12:29:55 PM

On 2005-05-20, toolstech <spam_someone@else.com> wrote:

> "Mark Morrison" <drdpikeuk@aol.com> wrote in message
>> on Fileplanet now.
>>
>> http://www.fileplanet.com/153570/download/The-Elder-Scr...
>>
>> --
>
> Was that my imagination, or is that Patrick Stewart's voice in the trailer?
> "These are the final days..." especially sounded like the old ST:TNG opener
> line.

Sounded a lot like him - I noticed too.

--
Toby.
field to circumvent my email filters.

"Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:D 2qp819msqphqqv4596kij4daum842n2qu@4ax.com...

> I've just watched the trailer and I think I may need to upgrade again. At
> least the processor anyway as I have a top end graphics card. The ingame
> graphics look as good as the prerendered stuff. If they can actually
> manage to
> fill the world with interesting things rather than a vast wasteland with
> nothing in it this could be huge.

May I recommend waiting on the new card? By the time the game hits the
market, GeForce 323,256 will be out.

-eric

May 20, 2005 1:51:49 PM

On 2005-05-19, dawg <don't> wrote:

> So what. They still make the best non linear RPG's on the market. None of
> the bugs I've met in Betheda's games were game killers. And,with a world
> that size and with hundreds or even thousands of NPC's and tens of
> thousands words of dialogue and story(icluding in-game books!)that quite an
> achievement.Don't you think?

You're paying for content that was made by 1000 monkeys. All
those NPCs and quests are cardboard and if you're lucky the 3d
renderer that displays everything won't crash on you.

Really, how is this a good RPG? I tried many times to get into
Morrowind and found it was simply impossible to take any of it
seriously. The game has quests where you'd have to be someplace
at a certain time of the day. It's pretty annoying and lifeless.

I've been enjoying WoW a lot the last month. After about level 30
I wound up doing quests for a goblin cartel that took me all
around the world. It's a very well developed CRPG which beasts
Morrowind in terms of worldliness.
May 20, 2005 2:03:58 PM

On 2005-05-20, eric <ecantrel@msn.com> wrote:

> "Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> news:D 2qp819msqphqqv4596kij4daum842n2qu@4ax.com...
>>
>> I've just watched the trailer and I think I may need to upgrade again. At
>> least the processor anyway as I have a top end graphics card. The ingame
>> graphics look as good as the prerendered stuff. If they can actually
>> manage to
>> fill the world with interesting things rather than a vast wasteland with
>> nothing in it this could be huge.
>
> May I recommend waiting on the new card? By the time the game hits the
> market, GeForce 323,256 will be out.

It's pointless. The engine that Morrowind uses is written so
badly that the intel architecture simply cannot support it. You
can throw all the CPU and GPU power at it and it still won't
function seamlessly. In fact by the time you have enough power to
support it where the programming issues won't matter the game
will probably be too old to run on whatever version of Windows is
out at the time.

The funny thing is people *still* go out and upgrade like it
makes a difference. They'll spend hundreds of dollars upgrading
for one engine that really isn't implemented properly.

The hilarity ensues when you're playing a slide show with pop ups
for cardboard quests and the retarded reviewer declares the game
"Game of the Year."
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 9:48:07 PM

On Fri, 20 May 2005 04:24:29 GMT, "toolstech" <spam_someone@else.com> wrote:

>"Mark Morrison" <drdpikeuk@aol.com> wrote in message
>> on Fileplanet now.
>>
>> http://www.fileplanet.com/153570/download/The-Elder-Scr...
>>
>> --
>
>Was that my imagination, or is that Patrick Stewart's voice in the trailer?
>"These are the final days..." especially sounded like the old ST:TNG opener
>line.

I was thinking the same thing but after a second listen I don't think it is.
May 21, 2005 1:00:02 AM

Yes, according to actiontrip's E3 glowing coverage of the game:

http://www.actiontrip.com/features/e32005theelderscroll...
"Finally, Bethesda has gotten onboard so many great actors (like Patrick
Stewart for example) and there's like more than 5 hours of recorded voice
overs for this game that takes up like half of their DVD. All of the
dialogue that I've seen was lip synced so you just getting this sensation of
being completely immersed in a living and breathing game world. So much so
that your hero, while still leveling up, will do so seamlessly, so that the
illusion of a virtual world is never broken."

JL

toolstech wrote:
> "Mark Morrison" <drdpikeuk@aol.com> wrote in message
>> on Fileplanet now.

http://www.fileplanet.com/153570/download/The-Elder-Scr...

>> --
>
> Was that my imagination, or is that Patrick Stewart's voice in the
> trailer? "These are the final days..." especially sounded like the
> old ST:TNG opener line.
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 1:08:29 AM

On Thu, 19 May 2005 19:28:53 GMT, Memnoch
<memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 19 May 2005 19:15:36 GMT, drocket <drocket@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 19 May 2005 19:57:12 +0100, Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Personally I'd rather get it from the service I'm already paying for,
>>>and get maximum bandwidth, rather than make Bethesda pay for the
>>>bandwidth, but that's just me...
>>
>>Yes, God forbid that companies pay for their own advertising. Now if
>>you'll excuse me, I have to go mail my monthly checks to ABC, CBS, NBC
>>and FOX.
>
>I've just watched the trailer and I think I may need to upgrade again. At
>least the processor anyway as I have a top end graphics card. The ingame
>graphics look as good as the prerendered stuff. If they can actually manage to
>fill the world with interesting things rather than a vast wasteland with
>nothing in it this could be huge.

Yep, it's fabulous looking - I'll wait and see what the system specs
are, then I'll have to decide when to start saving for all the new
bits I'll need. I promised I wouldn't upgrade for a single game
again, but...

And what's with all the carrots ?
May 21, 2005 1:11:23 AM

On Thu, 19 May 2005 17:27:15 +0100, Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com>
wrote:

>on Fileplanet now.
>
>http://www.fileplanet.com/153570/download/The-Elder-Scr...

When you first watched the trailer, and saw the king on top of the
tall tower, did anyone else think "I really hope that tower's in the
game - just so I can run/fly to the top and jump off..."

And what's with all the carrots ?
May 21, 2005 3:00:13 AM

drocket <drocket@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelelsen

> Yes, God forbid that companies pay for their own advertising. Now if
> you'll excuse me, I have to go mail my monthly checks to ABC, CBS, NBC
> and FOX.

ROTFL!

--
Arcana Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
d++e++N++T+++Om-KAWML!34567'!S'!8!9!u+uC+uF+++uG-u

Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> skrev i meddelelsen

> We're taking Bethesda here, with their BUGs(tm), cardboard NPCs,
> whack-a-mole skill system & great storylines for the over-creative
> fill-in-the-multitude-of-blanks personality types, errr...right?

Don't buy the game then, and piss off.

--
Arcana Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
d++e++N++T+++Om-KAWML!34567'!S'!8!9!u+uC+uF+++uG-u
LB®----uAnC+nH++nP+nI----nPT-nS+++nT----o---oE---xz
http://www.phyton.dk/games.htm
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 3:04:05 AM

Thusly shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> Spake Unto All:

>around the world. It's a very well developed CRPG which beasts
>Morrowind in terms of worldliness.

That word still doesn't mean what you think it does.

--
Fun Fact of the Day: In exit polls at the election 2004 the percentage of American
voters citing moral and ethical values as their prime concern was 22 percent,

"shadows" <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote in message

> The funny thing is people *still* go out and upgrade like it
> makes a difference. They'll spend hundreds of dollars upgrading
> for one engine that really isn't implemented properly.
>
> The hilarity ensues when you're playing a slide show with pop ups
> for cardboard quests and the retarded reviewer declares the game
> "Game of the Year."

Is this for Morrowind? I never really experienced any slow downs with it but
I have always had a top of the range computer components due to bulk
wholesale prices etc. But doesn't that mean that what you said is possibly
innacurate anyway?

Ceo-
May 21, 2005 3:29:33 AM

On 2005-05-20, Ceowulf <ceo@NOSPAMii.ATALLnet> wrote:
> "shadows" <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote in message
>
>> The funny thing is people *still* go out and upgrade like it
>> makes a difference. They'll spend hundreds of dollars upgrading
>> for one engine that really isn't implemented properly.
>>
>> The hilarity ensues when you're playing a slide show with pop ups
>> for cardboard quests and the retarded reviewer declares the game
>> "Game of the Year."
>
> Is this for Morrowind? I never really experienced any slow downs with it but
> I have always had a top of the range computer components due to bulk
> wholesale prices etc. But doesn't that mean that what you said is possibly
> innacurate anyway?

What was your FPS outdoors. Did you play it on high settings
which matched the press screenshots Bethseda would release?

On a 100 hrtz refresh rate I expect 50 FPS.
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 3:29:34 AM

Thusly shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> Spake Unto All:

>On a 100 hrtz refresh rate I expect 50 FPS.

So <50 FPS == "slideshow"?

What planet do you live on?

--
Fun Fact of the Day: In exit polls at the election 2004 the percentage of American
voters citing moral and ethical values as their prime concern was 22 percent,
continuing a trend of *decreasing* perceived importance of morals: In the 2000
election 35 percent cited morals & ethical values as their prime concern, and in
1996 a whopping 40%, almost twice as many as in 2004.
(Bet you hadn't gotten that impression from the press, had you?)
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 3:30:28 AM

"Mark Morrison" <drdpikeuk@aol.com> wrote in message
> on Fileplanet now.
>
> http://www.fileplanet.com/153570/download/The-Elder-Scr...

Thanks for the heads up, and thanks to James for pointing out the non
fileplanet site :)

Ceo-
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 5:29:08 AM

Arcana Dragon wrote:

> James Garvin <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> skrev i meddelelsen news:apadnYr-
> OpYZXxHfRVn-jg@comcast.com:
>

>>http://www.morrowind.com/downloads/media_movies.htm
>

> Thank thee, Lord James.

You are most welcome to ceo and you.
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 12:18:51 PM

On Fri, 20 May 2005 21:11:23 +0100, Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 19 May 2005 17:27:15 +0100, Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com>
>wrote:
>
>>on Fileplanet now.
>>
>>http://www.fileplanet.com/153570/download/The-Elder-Scr...
>
>When you first watched the trailer, and saw the king on top of the
>tall tower, did anyone else think "I really hope that tower's in the
>game - just so I can run/fly to the top and jump off..."

I'm sure it's part of the world - but I wonder whether it will be
destroyed before you can get there...
May 21, 2005 1:09:03 PM

Thus spake Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk>, Fri, 20 May
2005 23:04:06 +0200, Anno Domini:

>Thusly shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> Spake Unto All:
>
>>On a 100 hrtz refresh rate I expect 50 FPS.
>
>So <50 FPS == "slideshow"?
>
>What planet do you live on?

I wish it was a comet so I wouldn't have to see his drivel quoted except
once every 100+ years >8^D

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

May 21, 2005 2:41:29 PM

> When you first watched the trailer, and saw the king on top of the
> tall tower, did anyone else think "I really hope that tower's in the
> game - just so I can run/fly to the top and jump off..."

Guilty....
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 2:29:43 PM

>>Personally I'd rather get it from the service I'm already paying for,
>>and get maximum bandwidth, rather than make Bethesda pay for the
>>bandwidth, but that's just me...
>
> Yes, God forbid that companies pay for their own advertising. Now if
> you'll excuse me, I have to go mail my monthly checks to ABC, CBS, NBC
> and FOX.

*sigh* Whichever way, it's always the customer who really pays in the end.
!