Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-05-20, Jonah Falcon <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote:
> So, if you own CoH, you can't play CoV for free?

CoV is supposed to be standalone. They've been saying that for a
while.

>Chances are there'll be a discounted rate for playing both but it's
never
>ever ever been on the cards that CoH subscribers would get CoV for
free

Interesting. I had assumed that you would have to pay for the COV game
but you also have to pay extra monthly fees for it eh? Since
supposely COH characters will meet and battle COV characters, how is
that gonna work exactly since it is "a whole new game"? Or did they
drop the concept of COH and COV characters meeting?

Isn't that like Blizzard releasing WOW with only Alliance characters
available, then coming out with Horde characters and wanting to charge
double monthly fees for it?

It will be interesting to see how that works out for them.

I don't play COH so it doesn't matter either way to me. I just find
the MMORPG pricing to be interesting - I heard Sony now charges for new
zones instead of just expansions and will soon allow buying/trading of
characters and equipment. I can just see the day where your monthy
fee just buys a starting city and everything else - down to what mobs
you kill is extra. Play session details: 20 orcs killed x 10 cents
each, 1 magic sword x 1 dollar. Your Visa was charged 3 dollars. Have
a nice day.

Jonah Falcon wrote:
> So, if you own CoH, you can't play CoV for free?

Well, of course not. It's not an expansion. It's a whole new game.

--
John Parkinson

John Parkinson <jp--usenet--spam--trap@destiny.org.uk> wrote in

> Jonah Falcon wrote:
>> So, if you own CoH, you can't play CoV for free?
>
> Well, of course not. It's not an expansion. It's a whole new game.
>
> Chances are there'll be a discounted rate for playing both but it's never
> ever ever been on the cards that CoH subscribers would get CoV for free.

IIRC, Statesman (or maybe Lord Recluse) once stated that while they would
liek to be able to have one subscription fee for CoH, or CoV or both, that
it would more likely be the same price for CoH or CoV and a small increase
($5 is my guess) if you have both.

--
Marcel
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/

pauls2272@yahoo.com wrote:

> Interesting. I had assumed that you would have to pay for the COV game
> but you also have to pay extra monthly fees for it eh? Since
> supposely COH characters will meet and battle COV characters, how is
> that gonna work exactly since it is "a whole new game"? Or did they
> drop the concept of COH and COV characters meeting?

CoH is a complete PvE game.

CoV is a complete PvE game.

The two games can also PvP vs each other.

I don't know if you'll have to subscribe to both to do the PvP - I assume
not.

(tbh, I'm not a PvPer and I'm not very impressed with the hero vs hero
PvP they've just added to CoH and the changes it's caused to the PvE
game. So that aspect of CoV doesn't appeal very much to me.)

> Isn't that like Blizzard releasing WOW with only Alliance characters
> available, then coming out with Horde characters and wanting to charge
> double monthly fees for it?

Hmm. Maybe. I don't really know since I've only played WOW very briefly
in beta so I couldn't speak much for how that works and compare it.

(Also, details for CoV are still pretty sketchy - I guess the Beta will
really start showing how this will work.)

--
John Parkinson

Jonah Falcon wrote:

> So, if you own CoH, you can't play CoV for free?
>
> Hm.

uh? ok??? I don't get it...

On Fri, 20 May 2005 13:29:12 -0500, shadows <shadows@whitefang.com>
wrote:

>On 2005-05-20, Jonah Falcon <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote:
>> So, if you own CoH, you can't play CoV for free?
>
>CoV is supposed to be standalone. They've been saying that for a
>while.

Since interest in CoH is rapidly waning, I would think that adding the
insult of an extra monthly fee to owners of CoH who also buy CoV
should help put the final nails in the coffins of both games.

John Lewis

John Lewis wrote:
> On Fri, 20 May 2005 13:29:12 -0500, shadows <shadows@whitefang.com>
> wrote:
>
>>On 2005-05-20, Jonah Falcon <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote:
>>> So, if you own CoH, you can't play CoV for free?
>>
>>CoV is supposed to be standalone. They've been saying that for a
>>while.
>
> Since interest in CoH is rapidly waning, I would think that adding the
> insult of an extra monthly fee to owners of CoH who also buy CoV
> should help put the final nails in the coffins of both games.

Riiight.

Anyway, comment from Cryptic's Tech Director today:

"I'm pretty* sure the additional fee for coh+cov is somewhere between
'zero' and 'not much' Our greed is more than outweighed by our fear of
angry fans!

* Note if I'm wrong, it's jack's fault!"

--
John Parkinson

I looked at CoV at E3 this week and the games are separate but overlap
in PvP city zones (consent to PvP is implied when you enter the zone).
CoV offers a complete new game with renamed archetypes (example:
Controllers become Dominators) and new power sets for villains (how
much of the new power sets are really new and how much are just the old
powers with a new coat of paint I can't tell you).

The base building and base raid system looked pretty cool, but there
were many questions left unanswered on balance and all that. Base
raids revolve around challenges, thus eliminating the 3 AM zerg against
an empy base. There will be artifacts to be found and taken back to a
base that will offer bonuses to the super group that owns the base, and
these artifacts are the target of base raids. I don't know how they
will balance the situation where a small SG is holding an artifact and
a larger SG challenges them.

I know that a lot of the 12 year olds here won't understand this, but
to pay for the servers and bandwidth to run a completely new game (you
can play CoV and never come in contact with CoH if you wish) they will
have to charge more money. I got the impression that CoV started out
conceptually as an expansion and grew too big to not be a new game.
They are fully aware that they cannot charge twice the cost if you have
both subscriptions.

James Garvin <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> writes:

> uh? ok??? I don't get it...

The problem is the *perception* that CoV is a CoH expansion - it's
not, it's more of a sequel of sorts. And the same way you pay separate
fees for EverQuest 2 and EverQuest 1, you pay separate fees for CoH
and CoV.

What NCSoft should do is to create a program like SOE's All Access
pass.

Do you know if you HAVE to play a villain in CoV, or will you be able to
choose?

I think they should have made it an expansion instead of a stand alone game.
But what do I know?
"Tor Iver Wilhelmsen" <tor.iver.wilhelmsen@broadpark.no> wrote in message
> James Garvin <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> writes:
>
>> uh? ok??? I don't get it...
>
> The problem is the *perception* that CoV is a CoH expansion - it's
> not, it's more of a sequel of sorts. And the same way you pay separate
> fees for EverQuest 2 and EverQuest 1, you pay separate fees for CoH
> and CoV.
>
> What NCSoft should do is to create a program like SOE's All Access
> pass.

Somewhere in Texas, a village is missing its idiot.
> On Fri, 20 May 2005 13:29:12 -0500, shadows <shadows@whitefang.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On 2005-05-20, Jonah Falcon <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote:
> >> So, if you own CoH, you can't play CoV for free?
> >
> >CoV is supposed to be standalone. They've been saying that for a
> >while.
>

> Since interest in CoH is rapidly waning, I would think that adding the
> insult of an extra monthly fee to owners of CoH who also buy CoV
> should help put the final nails in the coffins of both games.
>
> John Lewis

Sure seem to be more players on whenever /I'm/ playing.

Alex Mars wrote "I know that a lot of the 12 year olds here won't
understand this, but to pay for the servers and bandwidth to run a
completely new game (you can play CoV and never come in contact with
CoH if you wish) they will
have to charge more money. I got the impression that CoV started out
conceptually as an expansion and grew too big to not be a new game.
They are fully aware that they cannot charge twice the cost if you have
both subscriptions"

I was planning on getting back into CoH after CoV came out, but if I
got to buy a whole new game for $50ish AND pay a whole new monthly fee,
well fuggitaboutit. No way am I going to buy into it. I expect for one
fee to be able to play either villains or heroes, and I expect the
villain add-on to be just that, an add-on that costs $30-40. It stinks
of greed if they are repackaging basically the same game only changing
the names to be evil and then trying to charge full price for it. I
don't care how much new content they added, it is NOT a whole new game,
it's more of the same dressed in a black cloak. And there is NO WAY
I'll spend more than $15/mo. for an online game, and I'm not choosing
hero or villain on a monthly basis. Forget that, man. I guess I can
write off CoV if this is their great plan. I'm sure a lot of lemmings
will happily comply and that's good for them. I'll stick to WoW or just
play single player games. It's not like there's a shortage of games I
haven't played.

I'm actually really looking forward to playing it. I left CoH for
out-of-game reasons (I was still having a blast 6 months after
release), but don't want to go back now that everybody has a max lvl
char or several. One of the things I enjoy the most about a game is
learning the ropes along with everybody else, when everybody is playing
their 'main' .
They shouldn't charge $50 for the box and $15/month if they want to
compete, but let's see how it goes... I'll play it anyway

Tor Iver Wilhelmsen wrote:

> James Garvin <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> writes:
>

>>uh? ok??? I don't get it...
>

> The problem is the *perception* that CoV is a CoH expansion - it's
> not, it's more of a sequel of sorts. And the same way you pay separate
> fees for EverQuest 2 and EverQuest 1, you pay separate fees for CoH
> and CoV.

That is what I thought it was. I was under the impression that CoV is a
totally different game, not an add-on.

> What NCSoft should do is to create a program like SOE's All Access
> pass.

Would be nice.

On 23 May 2005 11:18:52 -0700, wolfing1@yahoo.com wrote:

>I'm actually really looking forward to playing it. I left CoH for
>out-of-game reasons (I was still having a blast 6 months after
>release), but don't want to go back now that everybody has a max lvl
>char or several. One of the things I enjoy the most about a game is
>learning the ropes along with everybody else, when everybody is playing
>their 'main' .
>They shouldn't charge $50 for the box and $15/month if they want to
>compete, but let's see how it goes... I'll play it anyway

Six months from now both CoV and CoH should rest with others
(like DAoC, SWG) in the sub-$19.99 bargain bin anyway. Driven
there both by developer greed and the rapidly-crowding MMOG
market.

John Lewis