Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Wasn't sure which group to post this in.

I'm so starved for games right now I'm alternating between Fallout Tactics
and Heroes 4 (god help me...).

Noticed Stronghold 2 at EB the other day, I _sort of_ liked the first one,
can anyone who has played both can give me a quick comparison?

Does it let you build a castle on a large map and protect it from assaults
ala ultimate sandbox mode or is it all very limited again as in the first
one?

Ceo-

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

> Noticed Stronghold 2 at EB the other day, I _sort of_ liked the first one,
> can anyone who has played both can give me a quick comparison?
>
> Does it let you build a castle on a large map and protect it from assaults
> ala ultimate sandbox mode or is it all very limited again as in the first
> one?

After a few missions in the campaign, I did feel "I done this before" its
same old same old.
I rather play Fallout Tactics than this one, thats for sure ;-)

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

The campaigns are entertaining, but it's the multiplayer that makes
this game one of the funnest ever. There's nothing like battering down
your opponents walls with those brutal looking trebuchets! :)

If you're not certain still, check out:

http://www.hookedonstronghold.com/links/sh2review/

A no bullshit review, even if it's from a fansite. :)

Ceowulf wrote:

>Wasn't sure which group to post this in.
>
>I'm so starved for games right now I'm alternating between Fallout Tactics
>and Heroes 4 (god help me...).
>
>Noticed Stronghold 2 at EB the other day, I _sort of_ liked the first one,
>can anyone who has played both can give me a quick comparison?
>
>Does it let you build a castle on a large map and protect it from assaults
>ala ultimate sandbox mode or is it all very limited again as in the first
>one?
>
>Ceo-

Looks interesting. Does it do well on win2k?

--
A sufficiently advanced computer network protective attitude is indistinguishable from paranoia.

fisher

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On 21 May 2005 14:22:32 -0700, "Swaller" <sergiobrinkhuis@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>The campaigns are entertaining, but it's the multiplayer that makes
>this game one of the funnest ever. There's nothing like battering down
>your opponents walls with those brutal looking trebuchets! :)

Yea, but can you still knock down castle walls with swords like in the
first one? Once I found out that in the first one it went back
straight to the store for a refund - too gamey.

"Swaller" <sergiobrinkhuis@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The campaigns are entertaining, but it's the multiplayer that makes
> this game one of the funnest ever. There's nothing like battering down
> your opponents walls with those brutal looking trebuchets! :)
>
> If you're not certain still, check out:
>
> http://www.hookedonstronghold.com/links/sh2review/
>
> A no bullshit review, even if it's from a fansite. :)

No bullshit reviews are hard to come by now days, thanks for the link :)

Ceo-

Ceowulf wrote:

>"Swaller" <sergiobrinkhuis@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>

>>The campaigns are entertaining, but it's the multiplayer that makes
>>this game one of the funnest ever. There's nothing like battering down
>>your opponents walls with those brutal looking trebuchets! :)
>>
>>If you're not certain still, check out:
>>
>>http://www.hookedonstronghold.com/links/sh2review/
>>
>>A no bullshit review, even if it's from a fansite. :)
>>

>No bullshit reviews are hard to come by now days, thanks for the link :)

Might have been a good site if he weren't using JS.

According to a board I found they are working on the second patch, so at
least the game should get better with time.

--

Fisher wrote:
> On 21 May 2005 14:22:32 -0700, "Swaller"
<sergiobrinkhuis@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >The campaigns are entertaining, but it's the multiplayer that makes
> >this game one of the funnest ever. There's nothing like battering
down
> >your opponents walls with those brutal looking trebuchets! :)
>
> Yea, but can you still knock down castle walls with swords like in
the
> first one? Once I found out that in the first one it went back
> straight to the store for a refund - too gamey.

No, soldiers can't damage castle walls with hand weapons. Siege weapons
only.

>From what I have seen, 2 has focused it's improvements mostly on a more
sim-cityish side of the game, with disease, unrest, spies etc in your
castle.

"Velk" <velkarath@gmail.com> wrote in message

> No, soldiers can't damage castle walls with hand weapons. Siege weapons
> only.
>
> From what I have seen, 2 has focused it's improvements mostly on a more
> sim-cityish side of the game, with disease, unrest, spies etc in your
> castle.

Thats great, thanks Velk! I am going to go give it a go! :)

Ceo-

fisher

On 22 May 2005 19:06:44 -0700, "Velk" <velkarath@gmail.com> wrote:

>No, soldiers can't damage castle walls with hand weapons. Siege weapons
>only.

Ah, so they heard my complaints then. :)

Fisher wrote:

> On 22 May 2005 19:06:44 -0700, "Velk" <velkarath@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>No, soldiers can't damage castle walls with hand weapons. Siege weapons
>>only.
>

> Ah, so they heard my complaints then. :)

You and the other 4 people that bought Stronghold ;-)

Ok, I actually kind of liked the original game, but it was just
too...meh...for me to keep playing it!

fisher

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Mon, 23 May 2005 22:03:06 -0600, James Garvin
<jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote:

>You and the other 4 people that bought Stronghold ;-)
>
>Ok, I actually kind of liked the original game, but it was just
>too...meh...for me to keep playing it!

I might buy Stronghold2 but I did have one other complaint. When doing
castle sieges the area around the castle was too constrained and
didn't give you enough room to make proper tactical decisions. Have
they improved that too? What I want is realistic castle sieges, if it
doesn't have that then I don't want it.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

In article <nMCdnbmPeby-OQ_fRVn-2g@comcast.com>,
James Garvin <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote:
>Ok, I actually kind of liked the original game, but it was just
>too...meh...for me to keep playing it!

I enjoyed it quite a bit, up to the episode that introduced crossbows in the
middle. For some reason I just couldn't defend properly against the
swordsmen, probably because I couldn't get crossbows made fast enough.

But I'm not real good at this sort of game.