Data connect charges

Last response: in Network Providers
April 13, 2004 3:52:39 AM

Are you charged for data connect time ( additonal to regular minutes used)
for data connect (#777 or #2932) when you connect via a cell phone being
used as a wireless modem?

More about : data connect charges

Anonymous
April 13, 2004 10:51:06 AM

In article <LYidnRIJNpt3_ubdRVn-gw@centurytel.net>,
wingnut@centurytel.net says...
> Are you charged for data connect time ( additonal to regular minutes used)
> for data connect (#777 or #2932) when you connect via a cell phone being
> used as a wireless modem?

Well, the two connection codes you cite are two different data
services on our network. #2932 is for the older Wireless Web. With
that, you pay $0.39/min without a Wireless Web pack, or use voice
minutes if you *do* have one.

#777 is a bit more complicated. Our Terms & Conditions report that
the unlimited Vision Packs you can get on the phones don't support
modem-style usage of the phones. However, #777 never uses minutes.
Until caught, it's simply included in the unlimited use that the
Vision Pack provides. Or, without a pack, it's a penny per KB of
data sent to/from the phone.

--
RØß
O/Siris

I have the old trust worthy Samsung 8500 I'd like to use with a serial
to usb cable I purchased to check my e-mail while at the cabin on my
laptop. Would I use #2932 as the dial-up #? I take it I would not need
an ISP to do this? What would I use as my login user ID & password?
What would my SMTP address be to send e-mail?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

O/Siris <0siris@sprîntpcs.com> wrote in message news:<812ea80f2622196ef9f953bcb7c2065a@news.teranews.com>...
> In article <LYidnRIJNpt3 ubdRVn-gw@centurytel.net>,
> wingnut@centurytel.net says...
> > Are you charged for data connect time ( additonal to regular minutes used
> )
> > for data connect (#777 or #2932) when you connect via a cell phone being
> > used as a wireless modem?
> >

> Well, the two connection codes you cite are two different data
> services on our network. #2932 is for the older Wireless Web. With
> that, you pay $0.39/min without a Wireless Web pack, or use voice
> minutes if you *do* have one.
>
> #777 is a bit more complicated. Our Terms & Conditions report that
> the unlimited Vision Packs you can get on the phones don't support
> modem-style usage of the phones. However, #777 never uses minutes.
> Until caught, it's simply included in the unlimited use that the
> Vision Pack provides. Or, without a pack, it's a penny per KB of
> data sent to/from the phone.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
April 13, 2004 6:28:45 PM

http://navasgrp.home.att.net/tech/sch-8500/

--

John Richards

"Bill Jones" <billjones@chartermi.net> wrote in message news:866f7166.0404130234.5fde2634@posting.google.com...
> I have the old trust worthy Samsung 8500 I'd like to use with a serial
> to usb cable I purchased to check my e-mail while at the cabin on my
> laptop. Would I use #2932 as the dial-up #? I take it I would not need
> an ISP to do this? What would I use as my login user ID & password?
> What would my SMTP address be to send e-mail?
Anonymous
April 13, 2004 6:28:46 PM

Thanks for the link. Is it safe to guess that the SMTP server name
will be either mail. or smtp.sprintpcs.com?

Thanks

"John Richards" <supportdesk70-NO-SPAM@NO.SPAM.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:<xOSec.42$WI4.35@newssvr32.news.prodigy.com>...
> http://navasgrp.home.att.net/tech/sch-8500/
>
> --
>
> John Richards
>

> "Bill Jones" <billjones@chartermi.net> wrote in message news:866f7166.0404130234.5fde2634@posting.google.com...
> > I have the old trust worthy Samsung 8500 I'd like to use with a serial
> > to usb cable I purchased to check my e-mail while at the cabin on my
> > laptop. Would I use #2932 as the dial-up #? I take it I would not need
> > an ISP to do this? What would I use as my login user ID & password?
> > What would my SMTP address be to send e-mail?
Anonymous
April 14, 2004 12:40:33 AM

I think it's smtp.sprintpcs.com, but I don't use it.
I'm able to use the authenticated SMTP access from my
own ISP. Using your own ISP's smtp will not work if they
authenticate by checking the IP address of your connection.

--

John Richards

"Bill Jones" <billjones@chartermi.net> wrote in message news:866f7166.0404131141.7b40369@posting.google.com...
> Thanks for the link. Is it safe to guess that the SMTP server name
> will be either mail. or smtp.sprintpcs.com?
>
> Thanks
>
> "John Richards" <supportdesk70-NO-SPAM@NO.SPAM.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > http://navasgrp.home.att.net/tech/sch-8500/
Anonymous
April 16, 2004 4:13:36 PM

<Is it safe to guess that the SMTP server name
will be either mail. or smtp.sprintpcs.com?>
incoming is pop.sprintpcs.com
outgoing is smtp.sprintpcs.com
DonnaB

Anonymous
April 16, 2004 5:16:44 PM

In article <Q5Qfc.3717$nv3.1671@fe1.columbus.rr.com>,
"Donna Becker" <dbecker5@cinci.rr.com> wrote:

> <Is it safe to guess that the SMTP server name
> will be either mail. or smtp.sprintpcs.com?>
> incoming is pop.sprintpcs.com
> outgoing is smtp.sprintpcs.com
> DonnaB

Yes, a quick Google Search finds from last month:

From: The Supreme Enchanter (supremeenchanter@bogus.com)
Re: Questions about e-mail
Newsgroups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs
Date: 2004-03-12 18:58:45 PST

Verified: and this was added to the FAQ:
a. E-Mail:
i. How do I set up Outlook Express to be my e-mail client (using a
cable from my PC to the phone)?

1. Run Outlook Express (This is for Version 6)

2. Set Outlook Express to e-mail:

1. Click on the INBOX in outlook express on the FOLDERS window pane.

3. Create a new e-mail account:

1. Click on TOOLS-ACCOUNT-ADD-MAIL

2. YOUR NAME screen:

1. You name on outgoing e-mails (Whatever you want. This can be a
fake name).

3. INTERNET E-MAIL ADDRESS screen:

1. E-mail for the other person to see (whatever you want. This can
be a fake address).

4. E-MAIL SERVER NAMES screen:

1. My incoming mail server is a POP 3 server.

2. Incoming Mail: pop.sprintpcs.com.

3. Outgoing Mail: smtp.sprintpcs.com.

5. INTERNET MAIL LOGON screen:

1. Account Name: Your Account Name (from sprint. This is your real
account name).

2. Password: Your password (from sprint. This is your real
password).

3. Clink on REMEMBER PASSWORD (so each time you run outlook express
it will remember your password).

4. Log on using secure password authentification (unchecked).

4. Make your Sprint PCS E-Mail your default E-Mail when running
Outlook Express:

1. Click on TOOLS-ACCOUNTS

2. Click on the Sprint PCS account

3. Click on SET AS DEFAULT

5. The first time you restart Outlook Express with this as your
default e-mail account it make pop up with a logon window. If it does,
then you typed in a wrong name or password.

1. Type in you name and password again.

2. Make sure everything is case sensitive.

3. Do not include the Œ@sprintpcs.com¹ after your name.

6. To verify your settings:

1. Click on TOOLS-ACCOUNTS

2. Click on your e-mail account (pop.sprintpcs.com).

3. Click on PROPERTIES:

1. General Tab:

1. Mail Account

1. Top Line: Anything you want. This is what will show up in
Outlook Express¹ left window pane.

2. User Information:

1. Name: This is whatever you put in. This can be a fake name.

2. E-Mail Address: Again, this is whatever you want and can be a
fake address.

3. Include this account when receiving mail or synchronizing (Check
this and your e-mail will be downloaded when you do these things).

2. Servers Tab:

1. Server Information:

1. My incoming mail server is a POP 3 account.

2. Incoming Mail (POP 3): pop.sprintpcs.com.

3. Outgoing Mail (SMTP): smtp.sprintpcs.com.

2. Incoming Mail Server:

1. Account Name: You real account name from sprint (Just the name.
Do not include Œ@sprintpcs.com¹).

2. Password: You real password from sprint.

3. Log on using secure password authentification (unchecked).

3. Outgoing Mail Server:

1. My server requires authentification (Checked). This probably is
unchecked and is why you e-mail won¹t work.

2. SETTINGS to the right: Use same settings as my incoming mail
server.

7. The rest of the e-mail settings should be fine. If you use your
PCS phone as a modem, Sprint may charge or ban you. The rumor is that
you can transfer up to 50 meg a month before they will say anything.
Some estimates have it a bit higher.
!