Sign in with
Your question

10K IDE driver from WD

Last response: in Storage
February 5, 2003 8:15:48 PM

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/story.html?id=1044471776

bye bye 7200 RPM drive

Just next to the lab and the bunker you will find the marketing departement.

More about : 10k ide driver

February 5, 2003 9:52:01 PM

WOW. Excellent spotting there JUIN...
Ive been waiting for 10k rpm IDE drives for 2 years now!

8mb cache and flid bearings too!... thats gonna perform as good as many SCSI units.
YUMMO.
ill have 4 in RAID 0+1 thanks :smile:

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires it and mortal men Covet it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b>
February 5, 2003 10:46:29 PM

Juin I'm a gonna hug u and kiss u and.....
That kicks ass!! Heeeellll yeah! This is gonna be some sweet shiat!!!!!!

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti
Related resources
February 5, 2003 10:55:20 PM

BAM! 10k RPM, FDB, SATA, and a 5-year warranty, all in one shot! You NEED 4 of these.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>
February 5, 2003 11:01:56 PM

Come to think of it... it allmost sounds TOO good to be true. There has gotta be a catch.
Probably the price or the wording of the 5 year "limited" warantee.
limited to what i wonder?

maybe im just a suspicious bastard

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires it and mortal men Covet it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b>
February 6, 2003 7:21:28 AM

I mean, the spec, it just looks TOO good! I bet tho that the price will be way high from launch, while everyone else examines it and rushes out their own.

5 year warranty? Limited to what, that's the question!
February 6, 2003 4:57:29 PM

I have not seen a posting of that article ANYWHERE ELSE!! I have checked Western Digital's Website, and googled it (not even in google was i able to find the xbitlabs article or the Western Digitla 10k rpm hd)... it REALLY DOES sound too good to be true... unless the price (if they would have made a guesstimate) would be astronomical.

The greatest risk of all is not taking one!
February 6, 2003 7:39:31 PM

xbitlabs is......special, they got some funky shiz sometimes- like they were the first to tell how to mod gf-> quadro.

- Mario Andretti
February 6, 2003 8:40:42 PM

They must be special, I haven't been able to load that link for a couple days now. Hell, I can't even get to their homepage. But that would be sweet...and loud. Not so much the drive being loud because of the Fluid Dynamic Bearings, but the fans your gonna need to keep the thing cool. Water cooling is looking better everyday. Without watercooling I'll have to put my PC in it's own soundproof room for any A/V application, though that would be some great recording goin on.

Jarrett

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&..." target="_new"><b><font color=red>Join The THGC Music Project</font color=red></b></A>
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 6, 2003 11:49:01 PM

www.overclockers.com has this news posted as well.

edit: duh never mind it is a review of the xbitlabs news<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by knewton on 02/06/03 05:51 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
February 7, 2003 6:58:09 AM

Kudos to WD which has achieved many firsts in the industry, namely first IDE hdd with 7200rpm, first with 8MB cache and now first with 10k rpm.
February 7, 2003 10:04:22 AM

Look!

A non-believer!

Get him!! Lol! :wink:

Oh man, I hope not!
February 7, 2003 10:24:36 AM

WD are gonna issue a press statement on April 1st, saying "na na na na na fooled you!". You just know it's coming!
February 7, 2003 11:32:59 AM

We all have to wait till Tuesday (was that a band or something?) to find out...

Waiting... Waiting...

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
February 7, 2003 7:27:26 PM

Does Western Digital have the nasty habit of doing ficticious launches like AMD? I don't think so, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, to be as good as it looks it will still have to be a lot cheaper than SCSI drives. If the cost were to be similar, it wouldn't be worth it, because the SCSI interface is still superior to SATA.

February 7, 2003 8:43:55 PM

I'm guessing that's the official press date, but why make us wait that long after leaking it out? More than likely we won't see for a few months either. As long as it's priced between SCSI and 7200 SATA drives, it should to well.

And yes, that was a band.

Jarrett

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&..." target="_new"><b><font color=red>Join The THGC Music Project</font color=red></b></A>
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 8, 2003 12:50:18 AM

Delays would seem lame since they've been selling 10KRPM drives for years. I've been wondering why 10KRPM IDEers haven't showed up earlier. It seems reasonable that the conversion shouldn't be too tough.

Also, I half way think maybe drive manufacturers might be wrong and there IS a niche rich IDE user market out there who might even pay a premium because the crap controller comes standard on their motherboards, just to be able to say stuff like "yeah I got a 15KRPM'er in there". That's why I went out and bought some SCSI stuff, and probably never would have switched had the better drives been available to me as an IDE user way back when.
February 8, 2003 5:54:34 AM

I too want to believe... but its got all the feel of a fake release. theregister also had it, but its just a copy again (i think).

ASSUMING the info is true, i wonder what capacity it will run at. 120Gb proly, not much more as the best 10k scuzzy drives maxx out at 147Gb.

February 8, 2003 11:34:24 AM

Thanks for the provocation :tongue:

IMO they cannot out do SCSI as it will not be in their interest to do so, but one thought had entered into my pea sized brain that perhaps they could make a 10k IDE sata/ata drive at any size because basically any IDE drive is limited by its design and application as compared to SCSI drives and controllers simply by its nature. They have the knowledge obviously and have to hold back to protect their interests.

Great for us enthusiasts but the server/high end market dollar is still protected, Crashman has always emphasized that SCSI could and should have been the standard many years ago but we all wanted cheap crappy drives back then and IDE lasted this long as a result.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=32..." target="_new">My PC</A>
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 8, 2003 12:01:38 PM

I disagree that manufacturers either have to, or should hold back technology in order to protect certain markets.

SCSI, as it has been pointed out, has certain enhancements which will allow it to shine no matter how fast IDE disks are spinning. People who need the performance will pay the price.

I say that there is the "my phat rig is tite yo, bling bling" factor rich guys are willing to pay for that these manufacturers could exploit. 15KRPM IDE drives getting maybe $400-$500 each just to help fund some executives new vacation homes in the Bahamas.
February 8, 2003 9:38:15 PM

hmmm yes. interesting summation.
I wonder how much money they would loose with 10k ata drives around leeching sales from the scsi arena.
would it be covered i wonder from the vast premium put on the ata 10k drives that will be sold to the 'performance' or 'enthusiast' sections of the PC market (us of course).

They wo9uld have an advantage over other manufacturers if they did... they were the first with 8mb cache ata drives... being first means a edge... untill the others catch up.

I still aint seen any more info on the drive yet... im getting highly suspicious about its authenticity :frown:

February 9, 2003 12:22:50 AM

LOL
first time I've seen "my phat rig is tite yo, bling bling" used for rich guys hehehehehe. I like it.

- Mario Andretti
February 9, 2003 8:41:02 AM

specially with the 5 year warantee.

but it sounds just too good to be true. :frown: somethings wrong.

February 9, 2003 9:32:06 AM

Has price been mentioned?

Also, weren't 3xx GB hard drives supposed to be right around the corner? Is there anything that says that these 10K drives will have a high capacity?

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">If you were to have sex with your clone would that be considered incest or masturbation?</A></font color=red>
February 9, 2003 9:37:27 AM

in a while maybe...
but higher speeds allways means lower data densities:
e.g.

Highest capacity 15k rpm drive = 73Gb
highest capacity 10k rpm drive = 147Gb
highest capacity 7.2k rpm drive = 200Gb or better.

so i wouldnt expect an IDE 10k offereing of more than 120Gb... too complex, too many platters needed.

February 9, 2003 10:07:17 AM

Ok, then my point is that these drives will be competing for a different niche and that's why something might not be wrong.

Right now I need/want lots of space. I'd love a 500 GB drive.

At the same time I want lots of speed. My C: is only 15GB to keep things tidy and I could easily see myself buying a nice 20GB-40GB 10K RPM 8MB Cache WD drive just for C:, leaving the D: to consist of 500GB at 7200 RPM by the end of the year.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">If you were to have sex with your clone would that be considered incest or masturbation?</A></font color=red>
February 9, 2003 8:54:15 PM

mmm a point.

would you consider getting a ultra capacity 5400rpm drive? (as 500gb 7200rpm drives dont exist)

ive got an idea...
how about a 9 or 18Gb 15k scsi drive on its own PCI card as the boot drive? :smile:

dunno about you but i see the demand for really high capacity drives is slowing... most people would find 80Gb more than enough.

Even i for the first time in my life have reached a point where 2 x 80Gb is more than enough capacity for at least 6-12 months, and im doing divx encoding and have PILES of mp3's.

February 9, 2003 9:03:56 PM

Until they come up with a standard for DVD writers, I'll probably continue to need more space. I just don't feel like having 60 CD's of movies, 17 CD's of MP3's, etc etc...

By the end of the year, we'll see where we stand.

<font color=red>
February 9, 2003 9:10:26 PM

hmmm. sounds like you need a mass storage solution.

I wonder what happened to the development of those 100+ Gb fluorescent-optical disks? hmmm

have you considered getting some 250Gb 5400rpm drives for backup purposes or a tape backup unit?

!