Fate - good downloadable RPG (Diablo/Roguelike)

Hi,

Saw this game at the rpgcodex (www.rpgcodex.com) and had a try. Great
fun! Its kind of like Diablo meets Nethack. I would really like to see
this guy succeed, since there are some features I want to see in a
sequel ;) so I am putting in a plug for him here.

Have a look:

www.fatethegame.com

Thanks,
Michael

In article <42903639$1_2@spool9-west.superfeed.net>,
michi@EyeEsDeeEn.net.il says...
> Hi,
>
> Saw this game at the rpgcodex (www.rpgcodex.com) and had a try. Great
> fun! Its kind of like Diablo meets Nethack. I would really like to see
> this guy succeed, since there are some features I want to see in a
> sequel ;) so I am putting in a plug for him here.
>
> Have a look:
>
> www.fatethegame.com

I almost installed it, until I saw the publisher was WildTangent Inc.

This is a game that will deliver even more than the publishers
promise...

- Gerry Quinn

On Sun, 22 May 2005 12:01:09 +0100, Gerry Quinn <gerryq@DELETETHISindigo.ie>
wrote:

>In article <42903639$1_2@spool9-west.superfeed.net>,
>michi@EyeEsDeeEn.net.il says...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Saw this game at the rpgcodex (www.rpgcodex.com) and had a try. Great
>> fun! Its kind of like Diablo meets Nethack. I would really like to see
>> this guy succeed, since there are some features I want to see in a
>> sequel ;) so I am putting in a plug for him here.
>>
>> Have a look:
>>
>> www.fatethegame.com
>
>I almost installed it, until I saw the publisher was WildTangent Inc.
>
>This is a game that will deliver even more than the publishers
>promise...

Wasn't sure what you were referring to, but a quick Google search pulled up
some threads going back to 2000 about games that don't have an un-installer
and something about them being used as a marketing tool etc. Also seems from
looking at their own forum that you need an internect connection to unlock the
game. I think the simple thing here for people that have software firewalls
would be to deny the .EXE access to the internet. But hey, maybe its all
perfectly okay and we would have nothing to worry about right?

On Sun, 22 May 2005 12:33:20 GMT, Memnoch
<memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 22 May 2005 12:01:09 +0100, Gerry Quinn <gerryq@DELETETHISindigo.ie>
>wrote:
>
>>In article <42903639$1_2@spool9-west.superfeed.net>,
>>michi@EyeEsDeeEn.net.il says...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Saw this game at the rpgcodex (www.rpgcodex.com) and had a try. Great
>>> fun! Its kind of like Diablo meets Nethack. I would really like to see
>>> this guy succeed, since there are some features I want to see in a
>>> sequel ;) so I am putting in a plug for him here.
>>>
>>> Have a look:
>>>
>>> www.fatethegame.com
>>
>>I almost installed it, until I saw the publisher was WildTangent Inc.
>>
>>This is a game that will deliver even more than the publishers
>>promise...
>
>Wasn't sure what you were referring to, but a quick Google search pulled up
>some threads going back to 2000 about games that don't have an un-installer
>and something about them being used as a marketing tool etc. Also seems from
>looking at their own forum that you need an internect connection to unlock the
>game. I think the simple thing here for people that have software firewalls
>would be to deny the .EXE access to the internet. But hey, maybe its all
>perfectly okay and we would have nothing to worry about right?

From the horses mouth as it were, from the forum:

Darius23:

Ok - I'm really excited about this game... However, It seems like I'm going to
have to install some kind of "Web Driver Software" to run it.

Is this going to be some kind of AdWare? Or Spyware even? Is this going to
Hijack anything in my browser?

Or can I just install the game standalone?

Thanks!
-Darius

Travis Baldree (site admin):

The Web Driver is sort of a blanket name for all of our technology for
downloading and also for purchasing/unlocking games. So you actually have to
have it to 'own' the game.

However, it isn't spyware or adware - it doesn't affect your browser, it
doesn't pop up ads, and it doesn't gather your personal information.

You can also elect not to allow it to update itself either.....

Hope that helps!

Travis

----------------------------

So that cleared that up then, we have nothing to worry about!

Memnoch wrote:
> Gerry Quinn wrote:
>> I almost installed it, until I saw the publisher was WildTangent Inc.
>> This is a game that will deliver even more than the publishers
>> promise...
>
> Wasn't sure what you were referring to, but a quick Google search
> pulled up some threads going back to 2000 about games that don't have
> an un-installer and something about them being used as a marketing
> tool etc. Also seems from looking at their own forum that you need an
> internect connection to unlock the game. I think the simple thing
> here for people that have software firewalls would be to deny the
> .EXE access to the internet. But hey, maybe its all perfectly okay
> and we would have nothing to worry about right?

Why is an internet connection not even mentioned as a requirement?

Taken from their home page:

- Windows 2000, 98, ME, XP
- 800 MHz PC or better
- 128 MB RAM (256MB for XP)
- 16MB 3D Graphics Accelerator
- Mouse & Keyboard

That's a bad sign right there. The game looks interesting but I think I'll
pass.

On that special day, Memnoch,
(memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com) said...

> Travis Baldree (site admin):
>
> The Web Driver is sort of a blanket name for all of our technology for
> downloading and also for purchasing/unlocking games. So you actually have to
> have it to 'own' the game.
>
> However, it isn't spyware or adware - it doesn't affect your browser, it
> doesn't pop up ads, and it doesn't gather your personal information.

Sounds like a steam ripoff.

And according to
https://forum.wildtangent.com/viewtopic.php?t=3190&sid=
90b3169335585f056f52519c06354149 (one line)
https://forum.wildtangent.com/viewtopic.php?t=3179&sid=
90b3169335585f056f52519c06354149 (ditto)
the game is supposed to be bought. So why should there still be
advertisments inside? It would mean, I pay twice for it. Once with
bucks, and once with valuable data.

I don't (and will probably never, as there are better ways in Germany)
own a credit card, so no go for me.

Gabriele Neukam

Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

just so, at no cost.

Andrew

On Sun, 22 May 2005 18:23:09 +0200, Gabriele Neukam
<Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de> wrote:

>I don't (and will probably never, as there are better ways in Germany)
>own a credit card, so no go for me.

If your "better ways" involve you not being able to buy anything
online, in what way are they better?

On Sun, 22 May 2005 16:26:40 GMT, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote:

>On Sun, 22 May 2005 18:23:09 +0200, Gabriele Neukam
><Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de> wrote:
>
>>I don't (and will probably never, as there are better ways in Germany)
>>own a credit card, so no go for me.
>
>If your "better ways" involve you not being able to buy anything
>online, in what way are they better?

It's quite possible online retailers over there accept EFT's or he can
get most of what he wants the old fashioned way.

Lynley

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/fate/preview_6126241.html

No mention of adware/spyware.

"Michi Kossowsky" <michi@EyeEsDeeEn.net.il> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Saw this game at the rpgcodex (www.rpgcodex.com) and had a try. Great
> fun! Its kind of like Diablo meets Nethack. I would really like to see
> this guy succeed, since there are some features I want to see in a
> sequel ;) so I am putting in a plug for him here.
>
> Have a look:
>
> www.fatethegame.com
>
> Thanks,
> Michael

News==----
Newsgroups

On Sun, 22 May 2005 12:33:20 GMT, Memnoch
<memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 22 May 2005 12:01:09 +0100, Gerry Quinn <gerryq@DELETETHISindigo.ie>
>wrote:

>>I almost installed it, until I saw the publisher was WildTangent Inc.
>>
>>This is a game that will deliver even more than the publishers
>>promise...
>
>Wasn't sure what you were referring to, but a quick Google search pulled up
>some threads going back to 2000 about games that don't have an un-installer
>and something about them being used as a marketing tool etc. Also seems from
>looking at their own forum that you need an internect connection to unlock the
>game. I think the simple thing here for people that have software firewalls
>would be to deny the .EXE access to the internet. But hey, maybe its all
>perfectly okay and we would have nothing to worry about right?

Both Spybot and Adaware consider WildTangent spyware. The publishers
claim otherwise. I don't take chances with such things.

In article <040191dtpd9c869f0olh5ihfm4m67893fd@4ax.com>,
greg.gsj@gmail.com says...
> On Sun, 22 May 2005 12:33:20 GMT, Memnoch
> <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:

> >Wasn't sure what you were referring to, but a quick Google search pulled up
> >some threads going back to 2000 about games that don't have an un-installer
> >and something about them being used as a marketing tool etc. Also seems from
> >looking at their own forum that you need an internect connection to unlock the
> >game. I think the simple thing here for people that have software firewalls
> >would be to deny the .EXE access to the internet. But hey, maybe its all
> >perfectly okay and we would have nothing to worry about right?

> Both Spybot and Adaware consider WildTangent spyware. The publishers
> claim otherwise. I don't take chances with such things.

Two things seem clear:

1. They are not up-front about it.

2. It is non-trivial to get rid of.

Those don't suggest anything good. It also seems to link into your web
browser startup. I suspect it delivers pop-up ads outside the game.

- Gerry Quinn

On that special day, Andrew, (spamtrap@localhost.) said...

> If your "better ways" involve you not being able to buy anything
> online, in what way are they better?

I can order and pay by bill, or allow them to have the postman ask for
the money and transfer it to them. Both methods work as well. If a
financial public office wants my money (eg the yearly fixed taxes, like
the one for my car), I can authorize them to draw the amount from my
bank account. This all works without any credit card.

Gabriele Neukam

Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

just so, at no cost.

On Sun, 22 May 2005 12:01:09 +0100, Gerry Quinn
<gerryq@DELETETHISindigo.ie> wrote:

>In article <42903639$1_2@spool9-west.superfeed.net>,
>michi@EyeEsDeeEn.net.il says...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Saw this game at the rpgcodex (www.rpgcodex.com) and had a try. Great
>> fun! Its kind of like Diablo meets Nethack. I would really like to see
>> this guy succeed, since there are some features I want to see in a
>> sequel ;) so I am putting in a plug for him here.
>>
>> Have a look:
>>
>> www.fatethegame.com
>
>I almost installed it, until I saw the publisher was WildTangent Inc.
>
>This is a game that will deliver even more than the publishers
>promise...
>
>- Gerry Quinn

There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Have both a viruskiller and spyware-killer running and your firewall
turned on, plus save a System Restore point before (so-called) free
downloads from doubtful sources. And then make sure that the download
is functionally what it claims to be before moving on....

John Lewis

On Sun, 22 May 2005 18:23:09 +0200, Gabriele Neukam
<Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de> wrote:
>On that special day, Memnoch,
>(memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com) said...
>
>> Travis Baldree (site admin):
>>
>> The Web Driver is sort of a blanket name for all of our technology for
>> downloading and also for purchasing/unlocking games. So you actually have to
>> have it to 'own' the game.
>>
>> However, it isn't spyware or adware - it doesn't affect your browser, it
>> doesn't pop up ads, and it doesn't gather your personal information.
>
>Sounds like a steam ripoff.

WildTangent, and their WebDriver, were around long before Steam and was
listed as potential spyware/adware due to the aforementioned 'no
uninstall option', one version supposedly added itself in the system
files area so it could re-install itself, running in the background
unannounced, phoning home on downloaded games, and other such
allegations.
WildTangent may have cleaned up their act, but because of the bad press
back in 2000/2001 people may not trust them. You only get to lose the
public's trust once :)

--
Alfie
<http://www.delphia.co.uk/>

On Mon, 23 May 2005 11:40:20 +0100, Gerry Quinn
<gerryq@DELETETHISindigo.ie> wrote:

>Those don't suggest anything good. It also seems to link into your web
>browser startup. I suspect it delivers pop-up ads outside the game.

Well, I'm pretty sure it doesn't deliver pop-up ads, at least. More
likely it 'just' fixes your browser so that they get used as a
referral for any web purchases you make with a merchant they have an
account with. That's assuming that they haven't honestly gone
straight. Most spyware/adware publishers don't normally publish
games, I don't think...

WildTangent is no longer considered to be any type of malware.

Thusly drocket <drocket@hotmail.com> Spake Unto All:

>>Those don't suggest anything good. It also seems to link into your web
>>browser startup. I suspect it delivers pop-up ads outside the game.
>
>Well, I'm pretty sure it doesn't deliver pop-up ads, at least. More
>likely it 'just' fixes your browser so that they get used as a
>referral for any web purchases you make with a merchant they have an
>account with.

I looked at WildTangent two-three years ago, and at least back then it
seemed to collect surfing information to give you "targeted" ads, ie
in reality exactly what you've just described + data miner. AFAIK they
never spammed me or placed any pop-ups. As spyware goes, it's among
the less intrusive. Still a humungous security risk; for all I know it
might be a keylogger or CIAs secret weapon in the hunt for bin Laden.

Back then it was also not TOO difficult to kill WildTangent, it didn't
hide stuff in the system restore so it was basically a matter of
killing the files and cleaning the registry.

That may have changed, but a system restore point and some software
that tracks changes to harddisk and registry (e.g. CleanSweep) should
be able to restore order if things get ugly.

> That's assuming that they haven't honestly gone
>straight. Most spyware/adware publishers don't normally publish
>games, I don't think...

Back then WildTangent put their spyware in fairly decent licensed
software. My impression was that they're about as serious and legit as
spyware publishers get, and I can well imagine that someone who's
written a game might be tempted to let them publish it.

--
"I've seen similar injuries in an individual run over by a bus"
- Maj. Elizabeth Rouse, coroner, about one of the prisoners beaten to death

On Tue, 24 May 2005 18:28:08 +1000, Nostromo
<nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote:

>Does it have random or fixed dungeons/levels?
All dungeons are generated randomly. I THINK the town is fixed.
More-or-less like Diablo 1, really.

>Does it have a storyline?
Not particularly. When you start a new game, you're given an overall
'story' of 'there's a really horribly monster on level X that you must
kill. It is your Fate'. What level 'Level X' is is dependant on what
level of game difficulty you chose. There are also randomly generated
side-quests, to either find an item or kill a specific monster.

>Are the items all random or are there 'uniques' like in D2?
There are unique artifacts, but I haven't found one.

>Are the monsters fixed or random?
They're randomly placed on the randomly generated levels. Beyond that
I really can't say.

>Can you have henchmen?
You start the game with a pet (either a cat or dog, your choice.) The
pet is a permanent companion who levels up with you. You can equip
your pet with magic rings and necklaces to increase their power, and
there are magic fish you can catch/buy that cause special effects when
you feed them to your pet, including turning them into something else
entirely (lions, werewolves, unicorns, other monsters, etc.)

>How many classes/races/char levels?
>Is it level based or skill based? Etc, etc, etc...
There's only one class/race (AKA, all characters start out the same.)
You then specialize in whatever you want as you level up, becoming
whatever type of character you want to play.

To be a bit more specific, when you level up, you gain 5 stat points
(for str/int/dex/magic) and 2 skill points, which you can place in a
weapon skill (swords, mace, spear, etc), magic skills or a couple of
other skills.

As I said, I've only played the demo, which only goes up to dungeon
level 3 (which wound up taking til character level 6), so I really
can't say if the game is balanced in the long-term. The beginning of
the game, at least, seems moderately well balanced, and more
importantly, is pretty fun.

nostromo

Thus spake drocket <drocket@hotmail.com>, Tue, 24 May 2005 21:09:04 GMT,
Anno Domini:

>As I said, I've only played the demo, which only goes up to dungeon
>level 3 (which wound up taking til character level 6), so I really
>can't say if the game is balanced in the long-term. The beginning of
>the game, at least, seems moderately well balanced, and more
>importantly, is pretty fun.

Tx mate. You had me at magic fish. I thought this was a share/freeware game?
If not, what's it cost per fish? :-/

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

On Wed, 25 May 2005 19:12:17 +1000, Nostromo
<nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote:

>Tx mate. You had me at magic fish. I thought this was a share/freeware game?
>If not, what's it cost per fish? :-/

Um, well, the fish you buy in the game, with gold, or fish up with a
fishing pole. The game costs $20.

kburnam@gmail.com wrote:
> WildTangent is no longer considered to be any type of malware.

Huh? Please provide some kind of link to back this claim up.

This game is surprisingly entertaining and eye-catching -- considering
that it was, ostensibly, developed by one guy. I'd go so far as to
recommend it to anyone looking for a good dungeon crawl. As for
WildTangent: it's not showing up as malware on my machine.... in fact,
there doesn't appear to be anything pernicious about it (YMMV).

"Volstag" <hawkbeak@hotmail.com> writes:

> This game is surprisingly entertaining and eye-catching -- considering
> that it was, ostensibly, developed by one guy. I'd go so far as to
> recommend it to anyone looking for a good dungeon crawl.

Yep, I just played the demo for a few hours this week and was pretty
impressed. It was fun and amusing, even though it egregiously rips off
Diablo 2 in some aspects (weapons with sockets that you can enhance by
inserting gems, for example). The pet is obviously inspired by
Nethack, but being able to enhance it by feeding it magical fish is
really quite cool.

It also runs well on older machines. Since my desktop/gaming system is
currently standing in for a server that died, I can't boot it into
Win32 for Fate, so I ran Fate on my kids' computer, which is an old
dual-Celeron 500Mhz system with a GeForce 3-class video card. Wasn't
completely smooth, but it was very playable.

I'm planning on regisering it -- for $20 it seems like a nice deal,
even though I doubt it will have close to the longevity of D2:LOD (not
enough character skills to make trying umpteen different builds
interesting).

Nick

--
# sigmask (lambda deprecation version) 20041028 || feed this to a python
print ''.join([chr(ord(x)-1) for x in 'Ojdl!Wbshjti!=ojdlAwbshjti/psh?'])

On Sun, 22 May 2005 10:33:04 +0300, Michi Kossowsky
<michi@EyeEsDeeEn.net.il> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Saw this game at the rpgcodex (www.rpgcodex.com) and had a try. Great
>fun! Its kind of like Diablo meets Nethack. I would really like to see
>this guy succeed, since there are some features I want to see in a
>sequel ;) so I am putting in a plug for him here.
>
>Have a look:
>
>www.fatethegame.com

Thanks for this - I downloaded the free version and had forked out the
cash within hours (well, as soon as hit the level cap).

Great fun - like D2 with shiney new graphics.

I *love* the idea of *Retirement* in the game - basicall, when you
complete the over quest, you can retire you character, and can't play
him/her anymore.

However, this enables you to create new chars who are descendants of
him/her, and you can leave your items to them, which get an upgrade,
adn he/she starts off with a Fame bonus, for his /her lineage, meaning
you can equip the better items sooner.

You can also make the difficult tougher, to balance our your
advantage.

FWIR, you can do this over and over, until your great-great-great
grandkids are tough little shits from the start, with Godly equipment,
facing really tough monsters.

We need Diablo 3 !

And what's with all the carrots ?

Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com> once tried to test me with:

> I *love* the idea of *Retirement* in the game - basicall, when you
> complete the over quest, you can retire you character, and can't play
> him/her anymore.
>
> However, this enables you to create new chars who are descendants of
> him/her, and you can leave your items to them, which get an upgrade,
> adn he/she starts off with a Fame bonus, for his /her lineage, meaning
> you can equip the better items sooner.
>
> You can also make the difficult tougher, to balance our your
> advantage.
>
> FWIR, you can do this over and over, until your great-great-great
> grandkids are tough little shits from the start, with Godly equipment,
> facing really tough monsters.

That is a cool concept. I didn't know about that, but I haven't read
anything about the game yet (other than privacy policy lol)

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.