MOTU 828mkII -- More questions from potential purchaser

Last response: in Home Audio
January 16, 2005 11:52:03 AM

Thanks to those who responded to my question about my presently-owned
(Mackie Mixer plus Symetrix A/D) vs. the contemplated, space-saving
828mkII.
Re the 828mkII, in my untutored ignorance and absence of a downloadable
pdf manual, could someone explain how one controls such
individual-channel parameters as panning and equalization
(my Mackie has a pan knob and high, mid and low knobs for each
channel). The CueMix software seems like a rather important part of the
package but the MOTU website doesn't say much about it and provides
only one hard-to-see screenshot. Also what can be "saved" when using
the MOTU? Can whole mixes with their individual settings be saved in
the computer (or in the 828 itself)? How does that work? Finally, how
good is the manual that comes with the product? Is it clear, complete,
detailed? Thanks!
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 12:40:52 PM

abresq@aol.com wrote:
> Thanks to those who responded to my question about my presently-owned
> (Mackie Mixer plus Symetrix A/D) vs. the contemplated, space-saving
> 828mkII. Re the 828mkII, in my untutored ignorance and absence of a
> downloadable pdf manual, could someone explain how one controls such
> individual-channel parameters as panning and equalization (my Mackie
> has a pan knob and high, mid and low knobs for each channel).

The 828 is just the way you get audio into and out of your computer.
The AudioDesk software that comes with it is your mixer/eq/busses/etc
*and* your recorder.

> The CueMix software seems like a rather important part of the package
> but the MOTU website doesn't say much about it and provides only one
> hard-to-see screenshot.

CueMix is separate from the recording/mixing software and is used to
rerout the inputs from the 828 to the outputs of the 828 so you can have
monitor mixes; the recorder doesn't care about these but your band does.
You may never use it, or you may use it all the time. The 828mkii
seems to bring it a bit more onto the front panel to act like a
standalone mixer.

> Also what can be "saved" when using the MOTU? Can whole mixes with
> their individual settings be saved in the computer (or in the 828
> itself)? How does that work?

AudioDesk again. Your tracks are saved as individual files in a folder.
The levels and all other mix parameters are saved also, and it supports
automation, meaning the fader moves (and even plugin parameters like
reverb depth) changes you make on the fly are saved.

> Finally, how good is the manual that comes with the product? Is it
> clear, complete, detailed? Thanks!

The MotU products I have came with good manuals, yes.
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 3:06:05 PM

But my OS is Windows XP!! - ?? (AudioDesk is just for Macs)

S O'Neill wrote:
> abresq@aol.com wrote:
> > Thanks to those who responded to my question about my
presently-owned
> > (Mackie Mixer plus Symetrix A/D) vs. the contemplated,
space-saving
> > 828mkII. Re the 828mkII, in my untutored ignorance and absence of a
> > downloadable pdf manual, could someone explain how one controls
such
> > individual-channel parameters as panning and equalization (my
Mackie
> > has a pan knob and high, mid and low knobs for each channel).
>

> The 828 is just the way you get audio into and out of your computer.
> The AudioDesk software that comes with it is your mixer/eq/busses/etc
> *and* your recorder.
>

> > The CueMix software seems like a rather important part of the
package
> > but the MOTU website doesn't say much about it and provides only
one
> > hard-to-see screenshot.
>

> CueMix is separate from the recording/mixing software and is used to
> rerout the inputs from the 828 to the outputs of the 828 so you can
have
> monitor mixes; the recorder doesn't care about these but your band
does.
> You may never use it, or you may use it all the time. The 828mkii
> seems to bring it a bit more onto the front panel to act like a
> standalone mixer.
>

> > Also what can be "saved" when using the MOTU? Can whole mixes with
> > their individual settings be saved in the computer (or in the 828
> > itself)? How does that work?
>

> AudioDesk again. Your tracks are saved as individual files in a
folder.
> The levels and all other mix parameters are saved also, and it
supports
> automation, meaning the fader moves (and even plugin parameters like
> reverb depth) changes you make on the fly are saved.
>

> > Finally, how good is the manual that comes with the product? Is it
> > clear, complete, detailed? Thanks!
>

> The MotU products I have came with good manuals, yes.
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 5:55:20 PM

I would double check your Firewire chipset first - I asked MOTU about
compatibility issues on Firewire and they responded that if the chipset
was not TI or Lucent (now Agere, I think) then it would not work.
That's probably a bit extreme - they probably won't GUARANTEE taht
anything else would work because that's all they used in their testing
(conjecture on my part). It isn't a big deal getting a PCI Firewire
card with a TI chipset for about $10 - but I am using a Small Form
Factor PCI with built in Firewire (wrong chipset for MOTU) and only one
PCI slot (that is used for something else). I wound up getting the
M-Audio Firewire 1814 which works fine, but it is not equivalent to the
828MKII.
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 9:15:06 PM

abresq@aol.com wrote:
> But my OS is Windows XP!! - ?? (AudioDesk is just for Macs)

My sympathies ;)  but anyway that's how it works, all you need is DAW
software that runs on your OS. Cakewalk, stuff like that.

> S O'Neill wrote:
>
>>abresq@aol.com wrote:
>>
>>>Thanks to those who responded to my question about my
>
> presently-owned
>
>>> (Mackie Mixer plus Symetrix A/D) vs. the contemplated,
>
> space-saving
>
>>>828mkII. Re the 828mkII, in my untutored ignorance and absence of a
>>>downloadable pdf manual, could someone explain how one controls
>
> such
>
>>>individual-channel parameters as panning and equalization (my
>
> Mackie
>
>>>has a pan knob and high, mid and low knobs for each channel).
>>

>>The 828 is just the way you get audio into and out of your computer.
>>The AudioDesk software that comes with it is your mixer/eq/busses/etc
>>*and* your recorder.
>>

>>>The CueMix software seems like a rather important part of the
>
> package
>
>>>but the MOTU website doesn't say much about it and provides only
>
> one
>
>>>hard-to-see screenshot.
>>

>>CueMix is separate from the recording/mixing software and is used to
>>rerout the inputs from the 828 to the outputs of the 828 so you can
>
> have
>
>>monitor mixes; the recorder doesn't care about these but your band
>
> does.
>
>> You may never use it, or you may use it all the time. The 828mkii
>>seems to bring it a bit more onto the front panel to act like a
>>standalone mixer.
>>

>>>Also what can be "saved" when using the MOTU? Can whole mixes with
>>>their individual settings be saved in the computer (or in the 828
>>>itself)? How does that work?
>>

>>AudioDesk again. Your tracks are saved as individual files in a
>
> folder.
>
>> The levels and all other mix parameters are saved also, and it
>
> supports
>
>>automation, meaning the fader moves (and even plugin parameters like
>>reverb depth) changes you make on the fly are saved.
>>

>>>Finally, how good is the manual that comes with the product? Is it
>>>clear, complete, detailed? Thanks!
>>

>>The MotU products I have came with good manuals, yes.

January 17, 2005 10:07:11 PM

> The 828 is just the way you get audio into and out of your computer.
> The AudioDesk software that comes with it is your mixer/eq/busses/etc
> *and* your recorder.

AudioDesk is Mac only, but the 828mkII works fine on Windows.

>> The CueMix software seems like a rather important part of the package
>> but the MOTU website doesn't say much about it and provides only one
>> hard-to-see screenshot.
>

> CueMix is separate from the recording/mixing software and is used to
> rerout the inputs from the 828 to the outputs of the 828 so you can have
> monitor mixes; the recorder doesn't care about these but your band does.
> You may never use it, or you may use it all the time. The 828mkii
> seems to bring it a bit more onto the front panel to act like a
> standalone mixer.

the 828mkII works great in stand-alone mode - I've used is sucessfully
as an in-ear monitor mixer while simultaneously using it to record up to
18 tracks of audio (using Sonar and an ADAT 8 channel pre as well as the
line ins - using channel inserts off of the board). I've also used it
just as the monitor mixer in stand-alone mode.

>> Also what can be "saved" when using the MOTU? Can whole mixes with
>> their individual settings be saved in the computer (or in the 828
>> itself)? How does that work?
>

> AudioDesk again. Your tracks are saved as individual files in a folder.
> The levels and all other mix parameters are saved also, and it supports
> automation, meaning the fader moves (and even plugin parameters like
> reverb depth) changes you make on the fly are saved.

Not entirely correct. The Cuemix software allows you to save up to 16
pre-defined preset mixes IN the 828mkII, which can be recalled from the
front panel or the Cuemix software. Additional unlimited mixes can be
saved to disk. As mentioned though, this does not effect the recording
- which are basically direct ins and outs to the firewire interface.
Each channel can be set to either -10 or +4 levels though, which does
make it easier to set levels.

I use the 828mkII with Sonar 4 with excellent results, with both a
modest laptop (2Ghz P4 512MB mem) with an external firewire / USB2
drive, and my DAW (3400+ AMD A64, 1GB RAM). I can hook up the external
drive to my DAW and work on the raw tracks recorded by the laptop.
Strangely (in my mind, anyway) WDM drivers work a little better than the
ASIO drivers in my setup - I am able to get lower crackle-free latencies
with higher track counts. Both are acceptable, however.

>> Finally, how good is the manual that comes with the product? Is it
>> clear, complete, detailed? Thanks!
>

> The MotU products I have came with good manuals, yes.

The manual is good - for as much as 828mkII does, it's pretty simple to
use - the most complicated thing is tring to use the DSP mixer
capability without having a computer hooked up to it - you can do it,
but it's way harder to use. You can call up preset mixes though, which
is what I primarily do.

You need to make sure you have a firewire interface with a Texas
Instruments chipset though - the first Cardbus interface I tried had a
VIA chipset, and I experienced everything from lockups to BSOD's and
erratic operation of the Cuemix software (inability to access certain
features).

Good unit - I'd buy it again.
!