Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

WoW : Installation help

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 24, 2005 10:34:42 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Hi
I have recently bought WoW. I have managed to install the main game and
set up an account but upon starting the game a patch was downloaded. On
installation of this patch it failed with a checksum error on one of
the files.
I cannot access the Blizzard forums from work so I am asking here
first.
The patch was 1.4 european english version I think.

Any help would be great.
regards
DD

More about : wow installation

May 24, 2005 2:22:54 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On 2005-05-24, DeuceyDuck <stuart.read@metoffice.gov.uk> wrote:
> Hi
> I have recently bought WoW. I have managed to install the main game and
> set up an account but upon starting the game a patch was downloaded. On
> installation of this patch it failed with a checksum error on one of
> the files.
> I cannot access the Blizzard forums from work so I am asking here
> first.
> The patch was 1.4 european english version I think.

Never had any issues. In fact I have to say the implementation of
the client is probably one of the best I've seen yet. What I
would do is uninstall. Run a virus scanner and spyware
scanner. Then reinstall.

The only thing that would cause a checksum error is if the files
you downloaded or installed are corrupt. That or you are using
the American version against the European servers.

In any case when you get home Blizzard has a knowledge base up
and a fairly decent tech support system.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 24, 2005 11:48:22 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

In article <1116941682.311476.94380@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>, "DeuceyDuck" <stuart.read@metoffice.gov.uk> wrote:
>Hi
>I have recently bought WoW. I have managed to install the main game and
>set up an account but upon starting the game a patch was downloaded. On
>installation of this patch it failed with a checksum error on one of
>the files.
>I cannot access the Blizzard forums from work so I am asking here
>first.
>The patch was 1.4 european english version I think.
>
>Any help would be great.
>regards
>DD
>
Could download the patch from fileplanet
http://www.fileplanet.com/100462/0/section/Patches and see if that one behaves
itself.

--
Insert standard disclaimer about the above not being the BBC's views
Related resources
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 25, 2005 4:42:43 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"DeuceyDuck" <stuart.read@metoffice.gov.uk> once tried to test me with:

> Hi
> I have recently bought WoW. I have managed to install the main game and
> set up an account but upon starting the game a patch was downloaded. On
> installation of this patch it failed with a checksum error on one of
> the files.
> I cannot access the Blizzard forums from work so I am asking here
> first.
> The patch was 1.4 european english version I think.
>
> Any help would be great.
> regards

Can you delete the file that it's failing on and get the patcher to re-
download that file? Seems like there was a way to do a full-file check.



--

Knight37 - http://knightgames.blogspot.com

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
May 25, 2005 4:33:30 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On 2005-05-25, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:

> Can you delete the file that it's failing on and get the patcher to re-
> download that file? Seems like there was a way to do a full-file check.

Unlike other MMOs WoW's client doesn't seem to have this
feature. I've never seen a "scan" button to check the integrity
of your installation. It always just downloads patches.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 26, 2005 2:51:51 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Thusly shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> Spake Unto All:

>On 2005-05-25, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:
>
>> Can you delete the file that it's failing on and get the patcher to re-
>> download that file? Seems like there was a way to do a full-file check.
>
>Unlike other MMOs WoW's client doesn't seem to have this
>feature. I've never seen a "scan" button to check the integrity
>of your installation. It always just downloads patches.

Uninstall/delete the directory/reinstall then.

--
"I've seen similar injuries in an individual run over by a bus"
- Maj. Elizabeth Rouse, coroner, about one of the prisoners beaten to death
by american guards at Bagram Prison. Apparently this particular prisoner was
innocent; it was just his bad luck that the guards found his screams hilarious.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 30, 2005 3:09:18 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Thanks to those that responded. I finally got the patch to install by
doing the following.
1. Re-installed the game in Windows safe mode.
2. Installed the patch whilst ensuring that my firewall and virus
protection were OFF.
I am preety sure that #2 was the main cause of the original problem.

Anyway I got it to work and created a Night Elf Druid and currently
upto level 11 on the Runetotem server, if you are there and want to
form a group look me up 'Merlisk'

Thanks again
DD
!