Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-05-24, DeuceyDuck <stuart.read@metoffice.gov.uk> wrote:
> Hi
> I have recently bought WoW. I have managed to install the main game and
> set up an account but upon starting the game a patch was downloaded. On
> installation of this patch it failed with a checksum error on one of
> the files.
> I cannot access the Blizzard forums from work so I am asking here
> first.
> The patch was 1.4 european english version I think.

Never had any issues. In fact I have to say the implementation of
the client is probably one of the best I've seen yet. What I
would do is uninstall. Run a virus scanner and spyware
scanner. Then reinstall.

The only thing that would cause a checksum error is if the files
you downloaded or installed are corrupt. That or you are using
the American version against the European servers.

In any case when you get home Blizzard has a knowledge base up
and a fairly decent tech support system.

In article <1116941682.311476.94380@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>, "DeuceyDuck" <stuart.read@metoffice.gov.uk> wrote:
>Hi
>I have recently bought WoW. I have managed to install the main game and
>set up an account but upon starting the game a patch was downloaded. On
>installation of this patch it failed with a checksum error on one of
>the files.
>I cannot access the Blizzard forums from work so I am asking here
>first.
>The patch was 1.4 european english version I think.
>
>Any help would be great.
>regards
>DD

Could download the patch from fileplanet
http://www.fileplanet.com/100462/0/section/Patches and see if that one behaves
itself.

--
Insert standard disclaimer about the above not being the BBC's views

"DeuceyDuck" <stuart.read@metoffice.gov.uk> once tried to test me with:

> Hi
> I have recently bought WoW. I have managed to install the main game and
> set up an account but upon starting the game a patch was downloaded. On
> installation of this patch it failed with a checksum error on one of
> the files.
> I cannot access the Blizzard forums from work so I am asking here
> first.
> The patch was 1.4 european english version I think.
>
> Any help would be great.
> regards

Can you delete the file that it's failing on and get the patcher to re-
download that file? Seems like there was a way to do a full-file check.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-05-25, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:

> Can you delete the file that it's failing on and get the patcher to re-
> download that file? Seems like there was a way to do a full-file check.

Unlike other MMOs WoW's client doesn't seem to have this
feature. I've never seen a "scan" button to check the integrity
of your installation. It always just downloads patches.

Thusly shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> Spake Unto All:

>On 2005-05-25, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:
>
>> Can you delete the file that it's failing on and get the patcher to re-
>> download that file? Seems like there was a way to do a full-file check.
>
>Unlike other MMOs WoW's client doesn't seem to have this
>feature. I've never seen a "scan" button to check the integrity
>of your installation. It always just downloads patches.

Uninstall/delete the directory/reinstall then.

--
"I've seen similar injuries in an individual run over by a bus"
- Maj. Elizabeth Rouse, coroner, about one of the prisoners beaten to death

Thanks to those that responded. I finally got the patch to install by
doing the following.
1. Re-installed the game in Windows safe mode.
2. Installed the patch whilst ensuring that my firewall and virus
protection were OFF.
I am preety sure that #2 was the main cause of the original problem.

Anyway I got it to work and created a Night Elf Druid and currently
upto level 11 on the Runetotem server, if you are there and want to
form a group look me up 'Merlisk'

Thanks again
DD

TRENDING THREADS