Merging multiple ISP lines into a single network

BVKnight

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
Disclaimer: My understanding of our current setup may be BS. If it is, please point it out and help me understand what's wrong.

Our work building currently has 2 separate DSL lines feeding into it, one on each end of the building. The reason for two lines was so each one would have its own bandwidth, thereby supporting more simultaneous users. There is a router connected to the DSL jack at each end of the building, broadcasting its own wireless network: let's call them Work 1 and Work 2.

Is there any way for me to connect the Work 1 and Work 2 wireless networks, so that they appear to the end user as one contiguous network?

For example, I have a wifi enabled printer connected to Work 1, but I want users on Work 2 to be able to see it in their list of available network printers as well.

You could put a router between them but you would need a device that could actually route not just a gateway that has a wan port that does nat. MOST things people buy as routers are actually gateways.

The common way although a little complex is to overlap the networks. You would connect the 2 routers together. You disable DHCP on one router. You change the gateway address ...say you use 192.168.100.1 for both you would change one to 192.168.100.2. On the PC that use the router with 192.168.100.2 you would need to use static IP addresses and point their gateway to to 192.168.100.2. Best to assign the ip out of the top of the block say 192.168.100.129-192.168.100.253. On the other router you would not let it assign those addresses. You machines could now see all the ips.....very messy but only way to do it without a real router

Yes both ISP can be used at the same time but like you have it now YOU the tech are the one that controls which ISP is used by which users. It is not really possible to combine the bandwidth. You could use a dual wan router to select which users go to which ISP but it is pretty much the same work you just do it in the router rather than the PC.

Jim3245235

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013
There are dual-wan routers, they just aren't cheap. I know Fortigate, Sonicwall and Cisco make products that support multiple ISP's and combining them, but one individual user doesn't get more than 1 ISP worth of bandwidth.