to scsi or not to scsi

ekirk2

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2003
im in the middle of planning a system up grade. right now i would like to go to a scsi setup, and i am willing to spend the money for it. my question is should I. i want to get a scsi setup with the ability to go raid and im have no clue what to go to ...

Help me Please!

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
It depends on what you're gonna to do with the system. Raid arrays consist of scsi hdds are usually found in servers which the access speed and security of data are no. 1 priority.

gaviota

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
then thou question is "to RAID or not to RAID" and nor "to SCSI or not to SCSI"

The answer depends on how much you are willing to spend. You can get into SCSI with a single disk and an adapter. You can store your operating system in this disk and use your old IDE drives for everything else. This way you will spend about $140 ($55 for the adapter and $85 for a 18.2 GB SCSI drive).

If you want SCSI RAID you will have to buy a more expensive controller and 2 or more hard disks, depending on the RAID level you want. The cheapest SCSI RAID adapter costs about $380 larger hard disks (146 or 181 GB) cost about $1,100 each.

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
"my question is should I"

Depends. If you're a hardware freak with money to burn and just want to have SCSI for the hell of it then go for it. I'd recommend a nice dual Xeon board with onboard SCSI and a zero channel RAID slot then you can build a super fast 36Gb disk for your OS and scratch space. However, it doesn't sound as though you are a hardware buff, and you certainly don't need SCSI, so I guess you could save alot of money and just get a Dell.

mito

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
server setup -> busy network -> scsi ok.
workstation setup -> games -> a good eide setup should most definitely suffice.

/\/\ito

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OK, I'll help. I have a 3-channel SCSI RAID card here (a server card) with 64MB cache for you, for $100. You can add 4 36GB drives and do RAID10.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>