internet sharing with crossover?

greasEdego

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2001
I was wondering if someone could PLEASE HELP ME. Is there any way to share the internet with two computers through crossover cables and not using a hub? I'd appreciate any and all help. Thank you very much.

G

yes. microsoft internet connection sharing comes built into win98se, ME and win 2k. check out this article:

<A HREF="http://freepctech.com/pc/002/networks009.shtml" target="_new">http://freepctech.com/pc/002/networks009.shtml</A>

ignore everything i say

greasEdego

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2001
well...there's a catch here i forgot to mention. the computer im trying to make the "server" for my ICS to the other computer is already on an ICS network. it's a long story as to how/why I'm doing this. But basically my computer is on an ICS network i made through a hub...then i fixed my old computer and i wanted to hook this one back up to the internet so i'm trying to hook it up through my new computer through ICS also...so it's really complicated...but can i make an ICS network on a computer that is already part of an ICS network?

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
erm
why cant you just plug it straight into the one that already has the net connection the same as the other one?

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

greasEdego

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2001
see, i planned to just plug it straight into another one with the net connection...which i did using a crossover cable. The computer i plugged it in to gets the internet through a hub. I mean, these 2 computers see each other no problem. I just can't seem to get the one able to use the internet. I don't know if it's even possible to share the internet via crossover cable. If anyone has info on how to share the net through crossovers, let me know. I tried ICS but can't get it unless I'm missing a network setting somewhere in the properties for the NICs...

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
it shouldnt make a difference HOW they are connected, if they can see each other then the connection is there, just isnt configured, I dont use ICS so couldnt tell you how to configure it, how about using a proxy instead of ics?

Next time you wave - use all your fingers