Windows 8 professional

abohema

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
Hello,
I wanted to know something about win 8 professional most of people saying win 7 better but, from the looks and speed i think win 8 better so i'm asking if it better or not:)

That's subjective and I'd bet almost anything that there will be a bad argument about this here if any trolls find this thread.

Honestly, I don't have a serious problem with Windows 8. Some people despise the changes made in the GUI, but some people really like it or at least don't mind changing it themselves to take advantage of the other under-the-hood improvements of the OS.

morne

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
honestly its a personal preference, myself i still use 7, windows 8 is a bit to idiotic and confusing, im running a pc not a tablet.
my personal opinion is that Microsoft did not think things through when releasing it for pc they should have kept PC and tablet separate

WinOutreach2

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
You’re right. Windows 8 is more secure and faster than Windows 7 while bringing key features like BitLocker to the Pro version.

Windows 8 includes a significant number of improvements and new features. You can find details of what’s new in Windows 8 here on TechNet and overviews of the new features as well as videos showcasing and explaining those technologies from the Explore Windows 8 page from the Springboard Series on TechNet.

There are also some deeper dives into the technology for you to delve into in the Windows 8 Jump Start, a 6 part series of presentations, demonstrations, and Q&A on Windows 8 targeted towards IT professionals, or you could join us live at 9AM Pacific Time on Friday, March 1st for a Virtual Roundtable on What IT Pros Should Know About Windows 8 Enterprise: Deployment, Devices, Apps, and More to see more presentations and demos and to participate in the conversation live through the Q&A feed.

Congratulations,
That is one of the most useful posts about W8 I have seen for a long time.

Regarding the ops question, at the moment I don't feel there is enough of a difference to upgrade and personally I don't like it. However as you seem to be using it already
from the looks and speed i think win 8 better
then stay as you are.

Mactronix :)

It's not the same situation unless you're referring to college student's freebies and/or eval copies of Windows 8. It's not like it's legal to just go download a cracked version of Windows whereas I can go strait to softpedia and choose from one of dozens of options in doing everything that Start8 does and more. It'd be like paying to use a web browser despite there being dozens of great web browsers that are as good or better already available.

Fokissed

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010

I think he was referring to Linux.

I think you are being a little coy here. I really didn't think I needed to spell it out. There are free operating systems out there are there not ?
Your point is also flawed as the average user still has to buy W8 in order to add the start button adding options free or otherwise.

There are free operating systems, but they're not identically-featured. Linux, even with WINE and such, does not have perfect Windows compatibility (granted it is pretty good) and is still not Windows anyway. Start8 versus the free alternatives is different because they do the exact same thing, just for free.

My point is not flawed because OP was already talking about using Windows 8. Also, these programs work in Windows 7 and several older versions down to Windows 2000 for most of the programs and XP for the rest, granted they're simply less useful in them, so even if you don't get 8, they're still usable so long as you have any remotely modern version of Windows. If you don't, then the point of this argument is irrelevant to you, making it not matter anyway.

If someone wanted to use 8 and they wanted a start menu or other such functionality in 8, then there is no good reason to pay for it because that functionality is freely available. That is my point. Start8 is paying for something despite there being no need to do it. Sure, if you want to support the devs, then do what you want, but it's absolutely not necessary, so there's no need to suggest it except within the context of wanting to support the devs.

Have windows 8 on laptop, have not had any problems with it. The only real advantage I've found is the faster Boot times. So far only one program that I use for work will not load - I'm sure that will be fixed in a later update - NO biggy. As to security, yes it is better - for NOW, but that also has a lot to do with how long it's been on the market and %age of users. Takes the Bad guys awhile to figure it out (and they will) + larger market is still win 7 (tend to target the largest audience). And I do use start 8, But not a biggy with me.

Desktops are windows 7, and No plans on updating to Win 8 as advantages do not justify the cost. The $40->$67 was OK, but current cost, nah, I'll wait for 9.

Bottom line:
.. If you have it and like it, stay with it.
.. Have it and don't like it - give it some more time.
.. Have it and are having compatibility issues, first try to solve - can not solve then deep six it.
.. Don't have - stay with windows 7, wait for 9 (or blue, maybe they'll change color to yellow with red pokadots). Do not fell it justifies $100+, maybe after several more update, but by then New windows version should be just around the coner.

@blazorthon,

I'm having trouble understanding why you are being so cantankerous and obtuse about a simple statement :pfff:

I quoted you directly which means I was responding to your comment directly so what the op posted is irrelevant in this context.
No one said anything about being identically featured either.

let me me spell it out maybe there are crossed wires at work here.

You posted this
Why do people even suggest START8 if it's not free when there are free alternatives? It makes no sense. There are free programs that do the job as well if not better than it.

And I thought this could well be said of the operating system as well so I posted as much, this would look like this.

Why do people even suggest Windows 8 if it's not free when there are free alternatives? It makes no sense. There are free programs that do the job as well if not better than it.

Its pretty simple to my mind, it cant be wrong or flawed its a simple opinion. No one is saying a free OS will do all that Windows can do or that its equally featured. However they "do the job as well if not better than it"

I'm not being obtuse. I don't mean to offend, but what your analogy with Linux simply doesn't work. A better one would be more like comparing Windows 2000 to React OS and even that is flawed due to React OS still not being able to do the same job in the same way every time. Comparing Linux distros to Windows in an anaology between Start8 and the other such programs like Classic Shell is like saying that comparing two nearly identical apples is the same as comparing an apple to an orange.

Linux distros may do the job of being an OS, but they do not do the exact same job of Windows in the same way. That is my point. Bringing up Linux in response to what I said how you did, regardless of what how you want to throw opinion into this, was an incorrect comparison if you look at it objectively and it gave the implication that the difference between Start8 and the free alternatives was similar to the difference between Linux distros and Windows, an incorrect implication. That makes it misleading. If that was not your intent, then that makes bringing up Linux a completely irrelevant and pointless thing to do at best and that's still ignoring the incorrect implications that it gives.

That is because the "job" in question was not about how well the programs did what they did, but specifically about what they did. Spending $5 on Start8 to ditch Metro and do other such things is foolish when there are other programs that do the exact same thing, not something similar, for free unless you have the specific intent of supporting the developers even when that is completely unnecessary. Linux distros do not do the exact same job as Windows like the free Start8 alternatives do like Start8.

I did not name a specific operating system with the intent of trying to avoid someone such as yourself getting all peniticky and picking holes in a simple statement, so you can stop trying to quantify your reasoning by comparing windows to different versions.
You did not specify that the free version of the software you were posting about had to do the exact same job as the paid for version much the opposite you said "There are free programs that do the job as well if not better than it"
Not identical to it.

In my opinion my comment is as valid as yours. Your opinion clearly differs. That's fine.

I made a simple comment that for some reason you seem intent on picking over and finding things wrong with.
If I was offering advice to someone or telling then to do something that was clearly wrong or dangerous to their system then I could understand the vociferousness of your argument, heck I would do the same in that situation.

What I cant understand is why you are so intent in trying to find a reason for telling me I'm wrong or flawed in making a simple statement that you can get free software that does much the same as windows does.

I guess we should just agree to disagree

TRENDING THREADS