Use PCS for internect connection via laptop???

Last response: in Network Providers
a b D Laptop
April 15, 2004 2:06:38 PM

Wondering if possible to use PCS as telehone line connection to laptop
modem? Rather than pay for seperate expensive SPRINT internet
service, would like to use available PCS minutes so that my laptop
would dial out via the cell phone. Is this possible?

Thanks
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 15, 2004 6:16:06 PM

"Herve L. Guerette" <xguerette@cox.net> wrote in message
> Wondering if possible to use PCS as telehone line connection to laptop
> modem? Rather than pay for seperate expensive SPRINT internet
> service, would like to use available PCS minutes so that my laptop
> would dial out via the cell phone. Is this possible?
>
> Thanks

Yes and No. Depending on how old your phone is, if it's a 2G phone, you can
add Wireless web to your account, pay an additional monthly fee and use
minutes. You will only get 14k in speed though.

If you have a 3G phone, nope. That uses Vision, and you will need to have
the Vision option on your account. It doesn't use any minutes, but, in
saying that, SPCS does not support connecting the phone to a laptop. Vision
was not designed to replace your regular ISP service and if you connect
online for a long time or do large downloads, you will be charged extra, and
may have the Vision option removed from your account.

Some of us, while on the road, will connect via our laptop, but just to
handle email and limited surfing on the web.

Bob
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 15, 2004 6:16:07 PM

Thanks Bob - big help. I searched SPRINT site and did not see
reference to 2G phones - how would I recognize and how would I connect
such a phone to laptop?

I'll also try stopping at SPRINT store to see if have phones and get
additional information on connecting.

Have vacation home - no need for land line but would like to have
internet/email access. Hoping PCS will do the trick.

Thanks again.

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 14:16:06 GMT, "Bob Smith"
<usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:

>"Herve L. Guerette" <xguerette@cox.net> wrote in message
>> Wondering if possible to use PCS as telehone line connection to laptop
>> modem? Rather than pay for seperate expensive SPRINT internet
>> service, would like to use available PCS minutes so that my laptop
>> would dial out via the cell phone. Is this possible?
>>
>> Thanks
>
>Yes and No. Depending on how old your phone is, if it's a 2G phone, you can
>add Wireless web to your account, pay an additional monthly fee and use
>minutes. You will only get 14k in speed though.
>
>If you have a 3G phone, nope. That uses Vision, and you will need to have
>the Vision option on your account. It doesn't use any minutes, but, in
>saying that, SPCS does not support connecting the phone to a laptop. Vision
>was not designed to replace your regular ISP service and if you connect
>online for a long time or do large downloads, you will be charged extra, and
>may have the Vision option removed from your account.
>
>Some of us, while on the road, will connect via our laptop, but just to
>handle email and limited surfing on the web.
>
>Bob

a b D Laptop
April 15, 2004 9:34:24 PM

> Thanks Bob - big help. I searched SPRINT site and did not see
> reference to 2G phones - how would I recognize and how would I connect
> such a phone to laptop?

SPCS probably doesn't have any 2G phones available. Most recent phone they
had was the Sanyo 4700.

> I'll also try stopping at SPRINT store to see if have phones and get
> additional information on connecting.

Unless they have an older reconditioned phone to swap out behind the counter
or in the back room, I don't think they will have any either.

Best best is to search eBay. Lots of 2G phones for sale. You can't go wrong
with the Sanyo 4700, if you can find one. You will also need to find a cable
the model you finally select to connect to the laptop. You will also need to
contact SPCS to get WW added to your account.

> Have vacation home - no need for land line but would like to have
> internet/email access. Hoping PCS will do the trick.

A couple of more things to ask. Do you currently have service through SPCS?
If so, have you checked to see whether you have coverage by your vacation
home? Which phone model do you currently have?

> Thanks again.

Anytime.

Bob
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 16, 2004 12:08:41 AM

Once again, I thank you for your help.

Doing a bit of research and looks promissing. My wife and I use
Samsung A460 and 8500 phones. Looking at the manuals, both discuss
using phones to connect laptop to web. Just what I'm looking to do.

Are the phones we have 2G compliant or do we still need something like
the Sanyo 4700?

I'll now need to research costs of adding Sprint web access and where
to buy cable and any sofware we might need to work with our laptop.

Both our permanent and new vacation homes do have Sprint coverage.

Any thoughts or suggestions on helping to move this along would be
most appreciated.

Hervé

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 17:34:24 GMT, "Bob Smith"
<usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:

>"Herve L. Guerette" <xguerette@cox.net> wrote in message
>> Thanks Bob - big help. I searched SPRINT site and did not see
>> reference to 2G phones - how would I recognize and how would I connect
>> such a phone to laptop?
>
>SPCS probably doesn't have any 2G phones available. Most recent phone they
>had was the Sanyo 4700.
>

>> I'll also try stopping at SPRINT store to see if have phones and get
>> additional information on connecting.
>
>Unless they have an older reconditioned phone to swap out behind the counter
>or in the back room, I don't think they will have any either.
>
>Best best is to search eBay. Lots of 2G phones for sale. You can't go wrong
>with the Sanyo 4700, if you can find one. You will also need to find a cable
>the model you finally select to connect to the laptop. You will also need to
>contact SPCS to get WW added to your account.
>>
>> Have vacation home - no need for land line but would like to have
>> internet/email access. Hoping PCS will do the trick.
>
>A couple of more things to ask. Do you currently have service through SPCS?
>If so, have you checked to see whether you have coverage by your vacation
>home? Which phone model do you currently have?
>

>> Thanks again.
>
>Anytime.
>
>Bob

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 16, 2004 5:52:05 AM

Your Samsung 8500 is a 2G phone that will work very well with
Wireless Web. I used one that way for several years. Check out:
http://navasgrp.home.att.net/tech/sch-8500/

You don't need any software, just a cable.
--

John Richards

"Herve L. Guerette" <xguerette@cox.net> wrote in message news:4j8u70hhvpfd74vl12gh8pmgs0e20u8vhg@4ax.com...
> Once again, I thank you for your help.
>
> Doing a bit of research and looks promissing. My wife and I use
> Samsung A460 and 8500 phones. Looking at the manuals, both discuss
> using phones to connect laptop to web. Just what I'm looking to do.
>
> Are the phones we have 2G compliant or do we still need something like
> the Sanyo 4700?
>
> I'll now need to research costs of adding Sprint web access and where
> to buy cable and any sofware we might need to work with our laptop.
>
> Both our permanent and new vacation homes do have Sprint coverage.
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions on helping to move this along would be
> most appreciated.
>
> Hervé
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 16, 2004 4:10:50 PM

"Herve L. Guerette" <xguerette@cox.net> wrote in message
> Once again, I thank you for your help.
>
> Doing a bit of research and looks promissing. My wife and I use
> Samsung A460 and 8500 phones. Looking at the manuals, both discuss
> using phones to connect laptop to web. Just what I'm looking to do.

Ok ... What plan are you on now, how many minutes, do you have N & W, and do
you even possibly have WW as an option your account as well?

> Are the phones we have 2G compliant or do we still need something like
> the Sanyo 4700?

As John mentioned, the 8500 is a 2G phone, not sure whether the A460 is. So
to answer your question, no .. you won't need to get a 4700.

> I'll now need to research costs of adding Sprint web access and where
> to buy cable and any sofware we might need to work with our laptop.

The Wireless web option, if I recall correctly, is $10/mo. Might even be
$5/mo. The tough thing to find will be the cable, as the 8500 has been
discontinued for awhile. You can check with Radio Shack, eBay, or just do a
google search for the cable.

No need for any software, per the instruction John Navas has on his web page
(the link that John Richards provided)

> Both our permanent and new vacation homes do have Sprint coverage.

That's good to hear.

> Any thoughts or suggestions on helping to move this along would be
> most appreciated.

Yes, as mentioned, WW is slow ... 14k speed, so if you are using most of
your plan minutes talking, then you might go over your bucket of minutes
accessing the web. If you have plenty of minutes left on your plan at the
end of the month, it shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck in finding a cable.

Bob
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 16, 2004 7:16:23 PM

Thanks for information. Just visited local SPRINT store and want to
share what they had to say.

My Sansung A460 is a 3G talk but only 2G data. Said could connect but
would be slow and result in extra charges.

Suggested that I purchase a 3G phone like the Samsung A620/VGA1000.
While costs $260, I'm entitled to a $150 credit in June when I'll have
had present phone for 18 months. So, I could upgrade for about $110.

Then, I could buy data cable and software from Radio Shack or
elsewhere. Since my plan provides for unlimited Vision (2000 anytime
minutes/mo which I share with my wife's phone = $80/mo), said I'm
entitled to unlimited web connection at no additional costs. And,
service is faster than dial-up!!!

Sounds fantastic. Let me know if sounds right to you. Othersise, June
1st I'll swap phones with my wife, upgrade mine to the VGA1000 and
solve my problem.

What do you think???

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 12:10:50 GMT, "Bob Smith"
<usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:

>"Herve L. Guerette" <xguerette@cox.net> wrote in message
>> Once again, I thank you for your help.
>>
>> Doing a bit of research and looks promissing. My wife and I use
>> Samsung A460 and 8500 phones. Looking at the manuals, both discuss
>> using phones to connect laptop to web. Just what I'm looking to do.
>
>Ok ... What plan are you on now, how many minutes, do you have N & W, and do
>you even possibly have WW as an option your account as well?
>

>> Are the phones we have 2G compliant or do we still need something like
>> the Sanyo 4700?
>
>As John mentioned, the 8500 is a 2G phone, not sure whether the A460 is. So
>to answer your question, no .. you won't need to get a 4700.
>>
>> I'll now need to research costs of adding Sprint web access and where
>> to buy cable and any sofware we might need to work with our laptop.
>>
>The Wireless web option, if I recall correctly, is $10/mo. Might even be
>$5/mo. The tough thing to find will be the cable, as the 8500 has been
>discontinued for awhile. You can check with Radio Shack, eBay, or just do a
>google search for the cable.
>
>No need for any software, per the instruction John Navas has on his web page
>(the link that John Richards provided)
>
>> Both our permanent and new vacation homes do have Sprint coverage.
>
>That's good to hear.
>>
>> Any thoughts or suggestions on helping to move this along would be
>> most appreciated.
>>
>Yes, as mentioned, WW is slow ... 14k speed, so if you are using most of
>your plan minutes talking, then you might go over your bucket of minutes
>accessing the web. If you have plenty of minutes left on your plan at the
>end of the month, it shouldn't be a problem.
>
>Good luck in finding a cable.
>
>Bob

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 16, 2004 11:44:46 PM

In article <cob0801tbppr9ldjvf4ao2iph965pf0oaq@4ax.com>,
Herve L. Guerette <xguerette@cox.net> wrote:

> I'm
> entitled to unlimited web connection at no additional costs. And,
> service is faster than dial-up!!!

On paper it may be, but Network overhead or whatever makes Vision
painfully slow.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 17, 2004 12:14:33 AM

"Herve L. Guerette" <xguerette@cox.net> wrote in message news:cob0801tbppr9ldjvf4ao2iph965pf0oaq@4ax.com...
> Thanks for information. Just visited local SPRINT store and want to
> share what they had to say.
>
> My Sansung A460 is a 3G talk but only 2G data. Said could connect but
> would be slow and result in extra charges.

Don't know about the A460 (since it's a hybrid), but your Samsung 8500
will not incur extra charges except for the flat $5 per month for the WW option.

> Suggested that I purchase a 3G phone like the Samsung A620/VGA1000.
> While costs $260, I'm entitled to a $150 credit in June when I'll have
> had present phone for 18 months. So, I could upgrade for about $110.
> Then, I could buy data cable and software from Radio Shack or
> elsewhere.

The cable is $20 at Radio Shack, but can be found elsewhere for $9.
No software required, except for the free USB driver.

> Since my plan provides for unlimited Vision (2000 anytime
> minutes/mo which I share with my wife's phone = $80/mo), said I'm
> entitled to unlimited web connection at no additional costs. And,
> service is faster than dial-up!!!

Unlimited Vision is only for using it on the phone. Tethering it to
your laptop does not entitle you to unlimited web connections.
Some people have reported a 50 MB tethered download limit per month.

--

John Richards
April 17, 2004 12:17:44 AM

Herve L. Guerette <xguerette@cox.net> wrote in message news:<cob0801tbppr9ldjvf4ao2iph965pf0oaq@4ax.com>...

> Then, I could buy data cable and software from Radio Shack or
> elsewhere. Since my plan provides for unlimited Vision (2000 anytime
> minutes/mo which I share with my wife's phone = $80/mo), said I'm
> entitled to unlimited web connection at no additional costs. And,
> service is faster than dial-up!!!
>
> Sounds fantastic. Let me know if sounds right to you. Othersise, June
> 1st I'll swap phones with my wife, upgrade mine to the VGA1000 and
> solve my problem.
>
> What do you think???

It's against the Terms of Service:

http://www.sprintpcs.com/common/popups/popLegalTermsPri...
(Under Terms and conditions of Service, scroll down to "Other Terms
Applicable to PCS Vision Usage")

> Unlimited PCS Vision plans/options are only available with phones or PCS
> smart phones where the device is not being used as a modem in connection with
> other equipment (e.g., computers, PDAs, etc.) through use of connection kits
> or other phone-to-computer/PDA accessories, or Bluetooth or other wireless
> technology. Sprint reserves the right to deny or to terminate service without
> notice for any misuse.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 17, 2004 1:01:30 AM

"Herve L. Guerette" <xguerette@cox.net> wrote in message
> Thanks for information. Just visited local SPRINT store and want to
> share what they had to say.
>
> My Sansung A460 is a 3G talk but only 2G data. Said could connect but
> would be slow and result in extra charges.

Well ... Yes & No. Yes, you would have an extra monthly charge by adding the
WW option to your account. It's either $5 or $10. Any usage on line, either
by just the phone or while tethered to the laptop, minutes would be used off
your plan. No extra charges ... In saying that, it is slow. As slow as a fax
machine.

> Suggested that I purchase a 3G phone like the Samsung A620/VGA1000.
> While costs $260, I'm entitled to a $150 credit in June when I'll have
> had present phone for 18 months. So, I could upgrade for about $110.

Yes, you could. By that time, a few more SPCS phone models will be
available, and will have the same $150 credit.

> Then, I could buy data cable and software from Radio Shack or
> elsewhere. Since my plan provides for unlimited Vision (2000 anytime
> minutes/mo which I share with my wife's phone = $80/mo), said I'm
> entitled to unlimited web connection at no additional costs. And,
> service is faster than dial-up!!!

As John said already, unlimited only applies on Vision, while accessing
Vision on your phone, not while it's tethered to the laptop. It is a quicker
speed than WW, and doesn't use minutes. As mentioned by yours truly and
others previously, in this thread and other threads, one can use the phone
tethered to the laptop, and do just casual usage. If you do a lot of
surfing, or do large downloads, SPCS will notice, give you one warning about
it, and then possibly cancelling the Vision option on your account, and
start charging you $0.01 per kb down or uploaded through the service.

> Sounds fantastic. Let me know if sounds right to you. Othersise, June
> 1st I'll swap phones with my wife, upgrade mine to the VGA1000 and
> solve my problem.
>
> What do you think???

Again, you might look at other models before you buy. The number one rated
line of phones in this newsgroup are by Sanyo. Nary a complaint on any of
their models.

Bob
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 17, 2004 8:59:18 AM

Bob Smith wrote:
> Some of us, while on the road, will connect via our laptop, but just to
> handle email and limited surfing on the web.

And some of use run a webcam mounted on the dash!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 17, 2004 3:36:56 PM

If you change one or both of your phones to a Vision phone, you
would likely want to add a Vision Pack to your plan. Which would make
your #80 plan a $95 plan. Otherwise you would be charged $.01 per KB.

Herve L. Guerette wrote:
> Thanks for information. Just visited local SPRINT store and want to
> share what they had to say.
>
> My Sansung A460 is a 3G talk but only 2G data. Said could connect but
> would be slow and result in extra charges.
>
> Suggested that I purchase a 3G phone like the Samsung A620/VGA1000.
> While costs $260, I'm entitled to a $150 credit in June when I'll have
> had present phone for 18 months. So, I could upgrade for about $110.
>
> Then, I could buy data cable and software from Radio Shack or
> elsewhere. Since my plan provides for unlimited Vision (2000 anytime
> minutes/mo which I share with my wife's phone = $80/mo), said I'm
> entitled to unlimited web connection at no additional costs. And,
> service is faster than dial-up!!!
>
> Sounds fantastic. Let me know if sounds right to you. Othersise, June
> 1st I'll swap phones with my wife, upgrade mine to the VGA1000 and
> solve my problem.
>
> What do you think???
>
> On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 12:10:50 GMT, "Bob Smith"
> <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>>"Herve L. Guerette" <xguerette@cox.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>Once again, I thank you for your help.
>>>
>>>Doing a bit of research and looks promissing. My wife and I use
>>>Samsung A460 and 8500 phones. Looking at the manuals, both discuss
>>>using phones to connect laptop to web. Just what I'm looking to do.
>>
>>Ok ... What plan are you on now, how many minutes, do you have N & W, and do
>>you even possibly have WW as an option your account as well?
>>

>>>Are the phones we have 2G compliant or do we still need something like
>>>the Sanyo 4700?
>>
>>As John mentioned, the 8500 is a 2G phone, not sure whether the A460 is. So
>>to answer your question, no .. you won't need to get a 4700.
>>
>>>I'll now need to research costs of adding Sprint web access and where
>>>to buy cable and any sofware we might need to work with our laptop.
>>>

>>The Wireless web option, if I recall correctly, is $10/mo. Might even be
>>$5/mo. The tough thing to find will be the cable, as the 8500 has been
>>discontinued for awhile. You can check with Radio Shack, eBay, or just do a
>>google search for the cable.
>>
>>No need for any software, per the instruction John Navas has on his web page
>>(the link that John Richards provided)
>>

>>>Both our permanent and new vacation homes do have Sprint coverage.
>>
>>That's good to hear.
>>
>>>Any thoughts or suggestions on helping to move this along would be
>>>most appreciated.
>>>

>>Yes, as mentioned, WW is slow ... 14k speed, so if you are using most of
>>your plan minutes talking, then you might go over your bucket of minutes
>>accessing the web. If you have plenty of minutes left on your plan at the
>>end of the month, it shouldn't be a problem.
>>
>>Good luck in finding a cable.
>>
>>Bob

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 18, 2004 7:27:02 AM

Robert M. wrote:

> On paper it may be, but Network overhead or whatever makes Vision
> painfully slow.

As I said before, if the RL(whatecer you are using) is based on the
Sanyo 4900, then it WILL be slow. Its the browser. Visino on my Sanyo
8100 is great.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 18, 2004 3:39:02 PM

In article <aAmgc.11070$jT5.8981@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com>,
JRW <no_addy@no_.com> wrote:

> Robert M. wrote:
>
> > On paper it may be, but Network overhead or whatever makes Vision
> > painfully slow.
>
> As I said before, if the RL(whatecer you are using) is based on the
> Sanyo 4900, then it WILL be slow. Its the browser. Visino on my Sanyo
> 8100 is great.

I dropped Vision long before my 2 month trial was up, it was S L O W
on the RL2500.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 21, 2004 8:07:35 AM

In article <cob0801tbppr9ldjvf4ao2iph965pf0oaq@4ax.com>,
xguerette@cox.net says...

> Thanks for information. Just visited local SPRINT store and want to
> share what they had to say.
>
> My Sansung A460 is a 3G talk but only 2G data. Said could connect but
> would be slow and result in extra charges.
>
> Suggested that I purchase a 3G phone like the Samsung A620/VGA1000.
> While costs $260, I'm entitled to a $150 credit in June when I'll have
> had present phone for 18 months. So, I could upgrade for about $110.
>
> Then, I could buy data cable and software from Radio Shack or
> elsewhere. Since my plan provides for unlimited Vision (2000 anytime
> minutes/mo which I share with my wife's phone = $80/mo), said I'm
> entitled to unlimited web connection at no additional costs. And,
> service is faster than dial-up!!!
>
> Sounds fantastic. Let me know if sounds right to you. Othersise, June
> 1st I'll swap phones with my wife, upgrade mine to the VGA1000 and
> solve my problem.
>
> What do you think???

What store told you this?

In six months, you're going to be calling us to cancel because that
Vision service got removed and now you're paying a penny per KB.
Doesn't sound bad until you think that an 80 MB game update would
cost you $800.

With the two phone you have right now, using SPCS as your ISP, so to
speak, you get max speeds, under ideal conditions, of 14.4kbps, and
pay $0.39/min while connected, unless you opt to include the Wireless
Web service pack on your phone(s). And if you add that pack, then
your web usage gets treated as a voice call, and so counts off as
voice minutes just like a regular call would do.

If you're talking about using the phones as a real modem, to dial
AOL, for example, then it's $0.39/min no matter what you do, and
still max out 14.4kbps. That's true of either 2G/Wireless Web
phones, or 3G/Vision phones.

Vision phones are capable of higher connection speeds, and far more
folks have reported pretty decent speeds than otherwise. However,
this kind of use of a Vision phone isn't supported. To use it that
way, with SPCS as your provider, will (if you get caught) get your
unlimited Vision pack removed, and then you pay that penny per KB I
mentioned above. For the wording that applies, look for "Terms &
Conditions" at the bottom of http://www.sprintpcs.com and then search
the page that pops up for "connection kit".

So far, the only customers I've seen enforced under this policy have
been obvious examples. One of them over 10GB in a month. Rumors
abound about where the limit is that gets attention. I'd do you a
disservice to add to those rumors, because that's all I have myself.
Just be aware of the consequences if you move to that Vision phone
and do it.
--
RØß
O/Siris

In article <178e0a7170b01c0c27ff831c6e9a2832@news.teranews.com>,
O/Siris <osiris@sprintpcs.com> wrote:

> So far, the only customers I've seen enforced under this policy have
> been obvious examples. One of them over 10GB in a month. Rumors
> abound about where the limit is that gets attention.

Another secret SprintPCS policy.
April 21, 2004 2:38:09 PM

"Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote in message news:<rmarkoff-F58461.05380821042004@news02.east.earthlink.net>...
> In article <178e0a7170b01c0c27ff831c6e9a2832@news.teranews.com>,
> O/Siris <osiris@sprintpcs.com> wrote:
>
> > So far, the only customers I've seen enforced under this policy have
> > been obvious examples. One of them over 10GB in a month. Rumors
> > abound about where the limit is that gets attention.
>
> Another secret SprintPCS policy.

How can it be a secret if it in clear Elglish in the ToS?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 21, 2004 6:47:38 PM

In article <7e761144.0404210554.67f71e0e@posting.google.com>,
pcsguy@bellsouth.net (TechGeek) wrote:

> "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote in message
> > In article <178e0a7170b01c0c27ff831c6e9a2832@news.teranews.com>,
> > O/Siris <osiris@sprintpcs.com> wrote:
> >
> > > So far, the only customers I've seen enforced under this policy have
> > > been obvious examples. One of them over 10GB in a month. Rumors
> > > abound about where the limit is that gets attention.
> >
> > Another secret SprintPCS policy.
>

> How can it be a secret if it in clear Elglish in the ToS?

Its secret cause you just said so. "Rumors"

The policy is not a secret, its sometimes enforcement is.
April 21, 2004 6:47:39 PM

"Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote in message news:<rmarkoff-9F90F1.09472821042004@news05.east.earthlink.net>...
> In article <7e761144.0404210554.67f71e0e@posting.google.com>,
> pcsguy@bellsouth.net (TechGeek) wrote:
>
> > "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote in message

> > > Another secret SprintPCS policy.
> >

> > How can it be a secret if it in clear Elglish in the ToS?
>
> Its secret cause you just said so. "Rumors"
>
> The policy is not a secret, its sometimes enforcement is.

So then you expect a company to put a policy out then not enforce it?

That makes no sense whatsoever. They put the policy in the ToS and it
is expected ot be enforced.

The KB limits are not what's stated, because it states ALL USAGE of
3rd party equipment and using it to connect a laptop / PDA is a
violation of the ToS, so according to that you hook it to a laptop and
download 1KB, you're in violation.

Also, learn how to read who posted what, I didn't say it was a rummor,
O/Sirus did.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 21, 2004 10:21:38 PM

"TechGeek" <pcsguy@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:7e761144.0404210554.67f71e0e@posting.google.com...
> "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote in message news:<rmarkoff-F58461.05380821042004@news02.east.earthlink.net>...
> > In article <178e0a7170b01c0c27ff831c6e9a2832@news.teranews.com>,
> > O/Siris <osiris@sprintpcs.com> wrote:
> >
> > > So far, the only customers I've seen enforced under this policy have
> > > been obvious examples. One of them over 10GB in a month. Rumors
> > > abound about where the limit is that gets attention.
> >
> > Another secret SprintPCS policy.
>

> How can it be a secret if it in clear Elglish in the ToS?

The secret is the limit in MB/GB that it takes for SprintPCS to actually
enforce its ToS policy.
We all know that SprintPCS tacitly permits low volume data use on
voice plans, contrary to the stated ToS.

--

John Richards
Anonymous

John Richards wrote:

> <snip>
>
> We all know that SprintPCS tacitly permits low volume data use on
> voice plans, contrary to the stated ToS.

And for that, we thank them!

Larry
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 21, 2004 11:41:27 PM

In article <7e761144.0404211103.4b5b66c9@posting.google.com>,
pcsguy@bellsouth.net (TechGeek) wrote:

> "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote in message
> > In article <7e761144.0404210554.67f71e0e@posting.google.com>,
> > pcsguy@bellsouth.net (TechGeek) wrote:
> >
> > > "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote in message

> > > How can it be a secret if it in clear Elglish in the ToS?
> >
> > Its secret cause you just said so. "Rumors"
> >
> > The policy is not a secret, its sometimes enforcement is.
>
> So then you expect a company to put a policy out then not enforce it?

No, but that is EXACTLY what SprintPCS is doing.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 21, 2004 11:42:30 PM

In article <SYyhc.162$lY6.0@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com>,
"John Richards" <supportdesk70-NO-SPAM@NO.SPAM.sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> The secret is the limit in MB/GB that it takes for SprintPCS to actually
> enforce its ToS policy.
> We all know that SprintPCS tacitly permits low volume data use on
> voice plans, contrary to the stated ToS.

Thank you for more clearly stating what I was driving at.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 22, 2004 10:16:48 AM

In article <rmarkoff-F58461.05380821042004
@news02.east.earthlink.net>, rmarkoff@msn.com says...
> Another secret SprintPCS policy.

How is something posted in the Terms & Conditions a secret?

--
RØß
O/Siris

"Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote in message news:<rmarkoff-72A9E9.14411821042004@news05.east.earthlink.net>...
> In article <7e761144.0404211103.4b5b66c9@posting.google.com>,
> pcsguy@bellsouth.net (TechGeek) wrote:
>
> > "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote in message

> > > Its secret cause you just said so. "Rumors"
> > >
> > > The policy is not a secret, its sometimes enforcement is.
> >
> > So then you expect a company to put a policy out then not enforce it?
>
> No, but that is EXACTLY what SprintPCS is doing.

But your complaint is like driving 5-10 MpH over the speed limit.
Everyone does it, the police usualy don't enforce it too much with
that, but they CAN stop you and write you a ticket for it.

Honestly, I do not know what 'flags' your account for them to look
into it for abuse, if it's a % of talk vs. data, or if it's a flat out
KB thresh hold, average KB usage per day, amount of data transferred
in one session, but something is there. I haven't seen a huge outcry
in my stores over this, so I don't think it's anything that most
casual users would get hit on (occasional email, little browsing
etc..).

I honestly think they're mainly going after the abusers with this, the
people running FTP servers over the PCS connection, constantly running
streaming video / music, etc. It is killing the bandwidth and is
rather unfair to the people who get the correct equipment and plans
(the PCMCIA cards & data only plans) that are getting cheated out with
this (like voice, there is a limit to the data stream over the
network).

If you really want to have the wireless internet connection, and will
be a heave user of it, just get the card and data only plan and you'll
have nohting to worry about.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 22, 2004 3:18:46 PM

In article <fab6c4ef556e2054c6cbf4f70be22e9e@news.teranews.com>,
O/Siris <0siris@sprîntpcs.com> wrote:

> n article <rmarkoff-F58461.05380821042004
> @news02.east.earthlink.net>, rmarkoff@msn.com says...
> > Another secret SprintPCS policy.
> >

> How is something posted in the Terms & Conditions a secret?

Because as you said:

"We don't prohibit that usage"

It was discussed at length in this thread. The secret is that its not
enforced till you get to a SECRET level (which is a 2nd secret)..

BUT YOU KNOW THAT ALREADY, you posted it:

=====================

From: O/Siris (robjvargas@sprintpcs.com)
Subject: Re: Vision plan as a modem.
Date: 2003-11-16 11:06:19 PST

The PCS Connection Manager software remains on the web site because,
technically, we don't prohibit that usage. All we've done is stop
covering it. No tech support, and no "package" to cover its usage.

============================
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 22, 2004 6:13:18 PM

In article <7e761144.0404220530.10eeccfb@posting.google.com>,
pcsguy@bellsouth.net (TechGeek) wrote:

> But your complaint is like driving 5-10 MpH over the speed limit.
> Everyone does it, the police usualy don't enforce it too much with
> that, but they CAN stop you and write you a ticket for it.

You may be right there, but everyone assumes its 10 mph, and the valid
reason for that is the imprecision of car speedometers.

> Honestly, I do not know what 'flags' your account for them to look
> into it for abuse, if it's a % of talk vs. data, or if it's a flat out
> KB thresh hold, average KB usage per day, amount of data transferred
> in one session, but something is there. I haven't seen a huge outcry
> in my stores over this, so I don't think it's anything that most
> casual users would get hit on (occasional email, little browsing
> etc..).

Most casual users don't user their phone as a modem.

> I honestly think they're mainly going after the abusers with this,

I think you are 100% right, but they encourage abuse by having the
wink-wink policy of never going after casual users.

> the
> people running FTP servers over the PCS connection, constantly running
> streaming video / music, etc. It is killing the bandwidth and is
> rather unfair to the people who get the correct equipment and plans
> (the PCMCIA cards & data only plans) that are getting cheated out with
> this (like voice, there is a limit to the data stream over the
> network).
>
> If you really want to have the wireless internet connection, and will
> be a heave user of it, just get the card and data only plan and you'll
> have nohting to worry about.

But then we agree that

- the TOS policy is not always enforced

- The fact that its not enforced is a secret

- The break point where it is enforced is a secret

And I am not complaining, just stating the situation, which apparently
we agree on.

I have **NEVER** used a phone as a modem, but do agree some folks have a
leg to stand on when they complain that Sprint on the one hand will sell
a connection kit, and then say you can't use it.
April 22, 2004 11:34:01 PM

"Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote in message news:<rmarkoff-C0411B.09131022042004@news04.east.earthlink.net>...
> In article <7e761144.0404220530.10eeccfb@posting.google.com>,
> pcsguy@bellsouth.net (TechGeek) wrote:
>
> > But your complaint is like driving 5-10 MpH over the speed limit.
> > Everyone does it, the police usualy don't enforce it too much with
> > that, but they CAN stop you and write you a ticket for it.
>
> You may be right there, but everyone assumes its 10 mph, and the valid
> reason for that is the imprecision of car speedometers.

But the police can still write you a ticket if you're doing 1 MpH over
the limit.

> > Honestly, I do not know what 'flags' your account for them to look
> > into it for abuse, if it's a % of talk vs. data, or if it's a flat out
> > KB thresh hold, average KB usage per day, amount of data transferred
> > in one session, but something is there. I haven't seen a huge outcry
> > in my stores over this, so I don't think it's anything that most
> > casual users would get hit on (occasional email, little browsing
> > etc..).
>
> Most casual users don't user their phone as a modem.

I'm talking about casual data users, the people who use it to just
check email while on the road etc..

> > I honestly think they're mainly going after the abusers with this,
>
> I think you are 100% right, but they encourage abuse by having the
> wink-wink policy of never going after casual users.

Because the casual users are most likely causing as much congestion on
the data stream as the people accessing the web though their phones,
thus not creating a huge issue, but when people start downloading
gigabytes on a month, then that's a bit more. I've seen numbers of
users, and these people tell me what they do (connect to a laptop, use
the SPrint PDA phone, use the Sprint phone) and trust me, even people
who think they're heavy users don't use that much.

> > the
> > people running FTP servers over the PCS connection, constantly running
> > streaming video / music, etc. It is killing the bandwidth and is
> > rather unfair to the people who get the correct equipment and plans
> > (the PCMCIA cards & data only plans) that are getting cheated out with
> > this (like voice, there is a limit to the data stream over the
> > network).
> >
> > If you really want to have the wireless internet connection, and will
> > be a heave user of it, just get the card and data only plan and you'll
> > have nohting to worry about.
>

> But then we agree that
>
> - the TOS policy is not always enforced

True, they're going after the people who are abusing it and
exponentially increasing the data traffic. Casual users use about the
same, or less, then most people (who use the data services regularly)
who use their phones the legal way.

> - The fact that its not enforced is a secret

You can rob a store, and if you have a clean record, you'll most
likely get slapped on the wrist. What about a second? Third? How
many literal get out of jail free cards will the judge hand you? That
isn't open.

People have done it and nothing is said, I think that's enough to say
that it isn't as enforced as they'd like it to be, and if they didn't
put up this disclaimer in the ToS, then there would be a lot more
abuse.

> - The break point where it is enforced is a secret

Because it's still variable. It's not just total kilobytes of
downloads, it's talk vs. data ratio, it's session lengths, it's total
KB per session, it's the account itself, it's how much is being
reuqested in each session.

> And I am not complaining, just stating the situation, which apparently
> we agree on.
>
> I have **NEVER** used a phone as a modem, but do agree some folks have a
> leg to stand on when they complain that Sprint on the one hand will sell
> a connection kit, and then say you can't use it.

Sprint only sold the kits for a month or two, and then were asked not
to sell them and return them to the warehouse, PLUS, those kits were
for syncing your phonebook etc, NOT for connecting them to the web
(I'm not talking about the 2G web connection kits, either). Sprint
*never* promoted this with the only exception being the PCMCIA cards.

Also,

This enforcement does NOT include the people on data only plans with
the PCMCIA cards, nor does it include the 2G wireless web connection
kits.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 23, 2004 3:47:05 AM

Lawrence Glasser wrote:

>> We all know that SprintPCS tacitly permits low volume data use on
>> voice plans, contrary to the stated ToS.

> And for that, we thank them!

Indeed we do.

--
da
~~

In article <rmarkoff-8F730A.06183722042004
@news04.east.earthlink.net>, rmarkoff@msn.com says...

> Because as you said:
>
> "We don't prohibit that usage"
>
> It was discussed at length in this thread. The secret is that its not
> enforced till you get to a SECRET level (which is a 2nd secret)..

So do the Terms&Conditions say that. They don't say you can't. They
say the unlimited packs don't cover it. They don't.

And they're not a secret. The limit is "none." SPCS is, right now,
prioritizing. Like when you drive 5 over the speed limit on a road.
You may be able to continue right on past a police car that way, but
that doesn't mean you're not breaking the law.

--
RØß
O/Siris

In article <827ceb7c06559ba2a28ec3fe43c27827@news.teranews.com>,

From: O/Siris (robjvargas@sprintpcs.com)
Date: 2003-11-16 11:06:19 PST

The PCS Connection Manager software remains on the web site because,
technically, we don't prohibit that usage. All we've done is stop
covering it. No tech support, and no "package" to cover its usage.

============================

> So do the Terms&Conditions say that. They don't say you can't. They
> say the unlimited packs don't cover it. They don't.
>
> And they're not a secret. The limit is "none." SPCS is, right now,
> prioritizing. Like when you drive 5 over the speed limit on a road.
> You may be able to continue right on past a police car that way, but
> that doesn't mean you're not breaking the law.

Well now you (as often happens) have contradicted yourself.

OK, play word games, the SECRET is what the priority is, OK?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 23, 2004 2:13:36 PM

In article <rmarkoff-F5C8B8.05040723042004
@news04.east.earthlink.net>, rmarkoff@msn.com says...
> It was discussed at length in this thread. The secret is that its not
> enforced till you get to a SECRET level (which is a 2nd secret)..

That's no secret, Phil. That's simply a result of the current
priorities of those carrying out enforcement. Just as with the 5-
mile over example you've been given, someone has deemed it not a
priority. It's still all against the Terms & Conditions. Call and
ask, and you'll be told as much.

--
RØß
O/Siris

In article <7e761144.0404221834.5e9017b8@posting.google.com>,
pcsguy@bellsouth.net (TechGeek) wrote:

> "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote in message
> > In article <7e761144.0404220530.10eeccfb@posting.google.com>,
> > pcsguy@bellsouth.net (TechGeek) wrote:
> >
> > > But your complaint is like driving 5-10 MpH over the speed limit.
> > > Everyone does it, the police usualy don't enforce it too much with
> > > that, but they CAN stop you and write you a ticket for it.
> >
> > You may be right there, but everyone assumes its 10 mph, and the valid
> > reason for that is the imprecision of car speedometers.
> >

> But the police can still write you a ticket if you're doing 1 MpH over
> the limit.

They don't because they won't get a conviction if its contested as their
equipment isn't that precise.

> > > Honestly, I do not know what 'flags' your account for them to look
> > > into it for abuse, if it's a % of talk vs. data, or if it's a flat out
> > > KB thresh hold, average KB usage per day, amount of data transferred
> > > in one session, but something is there. I haven't seen a huge outcry
> > > in my stores over this, so I don't think it's anything that most
> > > casual users would get hit on (occasional email, little browsing
> > > etc..).
> >
> > Most casual users don't user their phone as a modem.
> >

> I'm talking about casual data users, the people who use it to just
> check email while on the road etc..

A tiny minority of SprintPCS users

> > > I honestly think they're mainly going after the abusers with this,
> >
> > I think you are 100% right, but they encourage abuse by having the
> > wink-wink policy of never going after casual users.
> >

> Because the casual users are most likely causing as much congestion on
> the data stream as the people accessing the web though their phones,
> thus not creating a huge issue, but when people start downloading
> gigabytes on a month, then that's a bit more. I've seen numbers of
> users, and these people tell me what they do (connect to a laptop, use
> the SPrint PDA phone, use the Sprint phone) and trust me, even people
> who think they're heavy users don't use that much.

Fine, where is the dividing line? It's a SECRET.

> > > the
> > > people running FTP servers over the PCS connection, constantly running
> > > streaming video / music, etc. It is killing the bandwidth and is
> > > rather unfair to the people who get the correct equipment and plans
> > > (the PCMCIA cards & data only plans) that are getting cheated out with
> > > this (like voice, there is a limit to the data stream over the
> > > network).
> > >
> > > If you really want to have the wireless internet connection, and will
> > > be a heave user of it, just get the card and data only plan and you'll
> > > have nohting to worry about.
> >

> > But then we agree that
> >
> > - the TOS policy is not always enforced
> >
> True, they're going after the people who are abusing it and
> exponentially increasing the data traffic. Casual users use about the
> same, or less, then most people (who use the data services regularly)
> who use their phones the legal way.
>
> > - The fact that its not enforced is a secret
> >
> You can rob a store, and if you have a clean record, you'll most
> likely get slapped on the wrist. What about a second? Third? How
> many literal get out of jail free cards will the judge hand you? That
> isn't open.
>
> People have done it and nothing is said, I think that's enough to say
> that it isn't as enforced as they'd like it to be, and if they didn't
> put up this disclaimer in the ToS, then there would be a lot more
> abuse.

***You only encourage abuse by not enforcing a policy. If you can't or
won't enforce a policy, don't have it.****

Or have a policy that says For $5 a month you can use your phone a modem
for upto 100 Meg a month. That way nothing changes except more money for
SprintPCS and eliminating a policy thats not enforced.

Or is the truth that you can't easily track data useage, and action is
only taken when a network gets congested???

> > - The break point where it is enforced is a secret
> >
> Because it's still variable. It's not just total kilobytes of
> downloads, it's talk vs. data ratio, it's session lengths, it's total
> KB per session, it's the account itself, it's how much is being
> reuqested in each session.
>

> > And I am not complaining, just stating the situation, which apparently
> > we agree on.
> >
> > I have **NEVER** used a phone as a modem, but do agree some folks have a
> > leg to stand on when they complain that Sprint on the one hand will sell
> > a connection kit, and then say you can't use it.
>
> Sprint only sold the kits for a month or two, and then were asked not
> to sell them and return them to the warehouse, PLUS, those kits were
> for syncing your phonebook etc, NOT for connecting them to the web
> (I'm not talking about the 2G web connection kits, either). Sprint
> *never* promoted this with

SORRY - maybe you didn't but we've had ample posts from people who said
thats exactly what was done, and long after your 2 month period.

From: MacGuy (MacGuy.iprnn@invalid.com)
Original FormatNewsgroups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs
Date: 2003-02-11 17:30:14 PST

But the new vision TOS was released (14 days?) AFTER the unlimited
vision plans. Sprint continued to market the kits for a while after
that.

Originally sprint sold vision and the connection kits as part of their
new wireless roll out. They promoted the use of a phone with the laptop
connection. I signed up and bought the new phone and the kit. The
Sprint store had sold me on the fact I could connect up my laptop.

>the only exception being the PCMCIA cards.
>
> Also,
>
> This enforcement does NOT include the people on data only plans with
> the PCMCIA cards, nor does it include the 2G wireless web connection
> kits.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 23, 2004 2:20:11 PM

In article <827ceb7c06559ba2a28ec3fe43c27827@news.teranews.com>,
O/Siris <0siris@sprîntpcs.com> wrote:

> In article <rmarkoff-8F730A.06183722042004
> @news04.east.earthlink.net>, rmarkoff@msn.com says...
> >
> > Because as you said:
> >
> > "We don't prohibit that usage"
> >
> > It was discussed at length in this thread. The secret is that its not
> > enforced till you get to a SECRET level (which is a 2nd secret)..
> >

> So do the Terms&Conditions say that. They don't say you can't. They
> say the unlimited packs don't cover it. They don't.
>
> And they're not a secret. The limit is "none." SPCS is, right now,
> prioritizing. Like when you drive 5 over the speed limit on a road.
> You may be able to continue right on past a police car that way, but
> that doesn't mean you're not breaking the law.

It apparently is like SprintPCS not being able to track useage.

Speedometers are not so precise, and radar detectors are not precise
enough that contested speed tickets for small amounts are usually thrown
out of court. However there are numerous small towns in need of revenue
that will issue a ticket for 2 mph over a posted limit. Perhaps you may
have heard of the term applied in such cases. SPEED TRAP.

http://www.speedtrap.org/ticket/time_over_distance.html

***SprintPCS is only encourageing the "abuse" it says it is concerned
about by not enforcing its own rules. If you can't or won't enforce a
rule, don't have it****
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 23, 2004 2:23:02 PM

In article <ad6dnbqcLLQgDBXdRVn-vg@comcast.com>,
"Donkey Agony" <root@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:

> Lawrence Glasser wrote:
>
> >> We all know that SprintPCS tacitly permits low volume data use on
> >> voice plans, contrary to the stated ToS.
>
> > And for that, we thank them!
>
> Indeed we do.

And its a secret the point at which they may come after you.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 23, 2004 2:58:44 PM

In article <d55b02ce5618bd404e648965527ab8a3@news.teranews.com>,
O/Siris <0siris@sprîntpcs.com> wrote:

> In article <rmarkoff-F5C8B8.05040723042004
> @news04.east.earthlink.net>, rmarkoff@msn.com says...
> > It was discussed at length in this thread. The secret is that its not
> > enforced till you get to a SECRET level (which is a 2nd secret)..
> >

> That's no secret, Phil. That's simply a result of the current
> priorities of those carrying out enforcement.

Nice try.

If you won't enforce a policy, why have it? It only encourages abuse.
April 23, 2004 6:27:20 PM

"Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote in message news:<rmarkoff-E7A993.05583823042004@news04.east.earthlink.net>...
> In article <d55b02ce5618bd404e648965527ab8a3@news.teranews.com>,
> O/Siris <0siris@sprîntpcs.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <rmarkoff-F5C8B8.05040723042004
> > @news04.east.earthlink.net>, rmarkoff@msn.com says...
> > > It was discussed at length in this thread. The secret is that its not
> > > enforced till you get to a SECRET level (which is a 2nd secret)..
> > >

> > That's no secret, Phil. That's simply a result of the current
> > priorities of those carrying out enforcement.
>
> Nice try.
>
> If you won't enforce a policy, why have it? It only encourages abuse.

Since you're always bragging that Sprint PCS is losing money, then
where shall they get the manpower to enforce it 100% without raising
costs?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 23, 2004 9:20:00 PM

> In article <827ceb7c06559ba2a28ec3fe43c27827@news.teranews.com>,
> O/Siris <0siris@sprîntpcs.com> wrote:
>
> In article <fab6c4ef556e2054c6cbf4f70be22e9e@news.teranews.com>,
> O/Siris <0siris@sprntpcs.com> wrote:
>
> > n article <rmarkoff-F58461.05380821042004
> > @news02.east.earthlink.net>, rmarkoff@msn.com says...
> > > Another secret SprintPCS policy.
> > >

> > How is something posted in the Terms & Conditions a secret?
>

> >> Because as you said:
>
> >> "We don't prohibit that usage"
>
> It was discussed at length in this thread. The secret is that its not
> enforced till you get to a SECRET level (which is a 2nd secret)..

And how is that different from the broadband ISP's that are shutting people
down for using more than an acceptable amount of bandwidth in a month, but
never stating what the threshold is?
April 24, 2004 12:15:56 AM

"Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote in message news:<rmarkoff-EFBCC1.05142823042004@news04.east.earthlink.net>...

> > But the police can still write you a ticket if you're doing 1 MpH over
> > the limit.
>
> They don't because they won't get a conviction if its contested as their
> equipment isn't that precise.

Wether or not it can get contested is irrelevant, they can still write
you a ticket.

> > Because the casual users are most likely causing as much congestion on
> > the data stream as the people accessing the web though their phones,
> > thus not creating a huge issue, but when people start downloading
> > gigabytes on a month, then that's a bit more. I've seen numbers of
> > users, and these people tell me what they do (connect to a laptop, use
> > the SPrint PDA phone, use the Sprint phone) and trust me, even people
> > who think they're heavy users don't use that much.
>

> Fine, where is the dividing line? It's a SECRET.

Like I said, it's not just one dividing line. They look at total KB
downloaded, they look at voice vs. data usage, they look at session
lengths, they look at amount of data transferred per session etc..

Announcing what 'crossing the line' would be would only encourage the
people to go up to that limit then stop, thus creating more of an
issue.

It's against the ToS, plain and simple, you hook it up and download
one KB, then you've violated the ToS.

> ***You only encourage abuse by not enforcing a policy. If you can't or
> won't enforce a policy, don't have it.****

Isn't that what Sprint is doing now? You're always complaining /
bragging that Sprint is losing money, well, to get the manpower to
enforce this 100% would cost a lot, so then you wouldn't be able to
complain about this, but you'd complain about them losing more money.

Choose a side, enforcement or saving money?

> Or have a policy that says For $5 a month you can use your phone a modem
> for upto 100 Meg a month. That way nothing changes except more money for
> SprintPCS and eliminating a policy thats not enforced.

I won't deny that that is not a bad idea, but the 'abusers' are mostly
breaking that 100MB / Month limit by a long shot (just see my next
statement).

> Or is the truth that you can't easily track data useage, and action is
> only taken when a network gets congested???

Data can easily be tracked. I had a guy come in the other day, the
guy had well over 1.5 GB (yes, GIGABYTES) of data usage, he didn't
have to tell me that he was using his phone as a modem for his laptop
(which he did tell me later when I told him I had no issues connecting
to the web with the phone).

People who use it just to check email etc. are probably using as much
of the data stream as people who only use the web over the phone, even
though that's against the ToS, it's not creating an issue on the
network. The guy above, is creating an issue, there is no way that
you can have that much data usage just by going though the phone. (And
yes, several of us have done extensive testing to find out how much
data is used when, we use the PCMCIA card to do a day of streaming
music, or video, we spend a day on IM with one of the phones, we use a
PDA to check the stocks on CNN.com every 30 minutes). We're probabaly
done more testing than out training departments and we're about to
release our findings to corp. We can tell, just by the limted access
to billing that we have (we do not have the same access that the
investigators do) we can tell who's connecting to a laptop and who's
using their phone.

> > Sprint only sold the kits for a month or two, and then were asked not
> > to sell them and return them to the warehouse, PLUS, those kits were
> > for syncing your phonebook etc, NOT for connecting them to the web
> > (I'm not talking about the 2G web connection kits, either). Sprint
> > *never* promoted this with
>
> SORRY - maybe you didn't but we've had ample posts from people who said
> thats exactly what was done, and long after your 2 month period.
>

> From: MacGuy (MacGuy.iprnn@invalid.com)
> Original FormatNewsgroups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs
> Date: 2003-02-11 17:30:14 PST
>
> But the new vision TOS was released (14 days?) AFTER the unlimited
> vision plans. Sprint continued to market the kits for a while after
> that.
>
> Originally sprint sold vision and the connection kits as part of their
> new wireless roll out. They promoted the use of a phone with the laptop
> connection. I signed up and bought the new phone and the kit. The
> Sprint store had sold me on the fact I could connect up my laptop.

There is no telling when this person is talking about, just when they
posted. There was a communication less than a few months that Vision
launched for us to STOP selling the data kits due to large issues with
abuse. We were instructed to take them off the floor and promptly
return them to the warehouse.

If SPRINT sales people were promoting this, then they should have been
fired, and if they were caught by an auitor, they were fired (and I
knew a couple who did get fired). Even managers got demoted over this
because they continued to sell them.

I got in trouble with my own manager for pulling the kits off the wall
and refusing to sell them (I even locked them up so no one else could
take them out until I returned them). He got the district manager
involved, yes I was in deep you-know-what until my area VP stepped in
and said I was doing exactly what I was supposed to be doing. Guess
who ended up in the hot seat after that? Not me.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 24, 2004 1:33:53 AM

In article <7e761144.0404231327.1030ef1d@posting.google.com>,
pcsguy@bellsouth.net (TechGeek) wrote:

> "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote in message
> > In article <d55b02ce5618bd404e648965527ab8a3@news.teranews.com>,
> > O/Siris <0siris@sprîntpcs.com> wrote:
> >
> > > In article <rmarkoff-F5C8B8.05040723042004
> > > @news04.east.earthlink.net>, rmarkoff@msn.com says...
> > > >

> > > That's no secret, Phil. That's simply a result of the current
> > > priorities of those carrying out enforcement.
> >
> > Nice try.
> >
> > If you won't enforce a policy, why have it? It only encourages abuse.
>

> Since you're always bragging that Sprint PCS is losing money, then
> where shall they get the manpower to enforce it 100% without raising
> costs?

Looks like I'm suggested they need to have a different policy.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 24, 2004 5:48:45 AM

"TechGeek" <pcsguy@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:7e761144.0404231327.1030ef1d@posting.google.com...
> "Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote in message news:<rmarkoff-E7A993.05583823042004@news04.east.earthlink.net>...
> > If you won't enforce a policy, why have it? It only encourages abuse.
>

> Since you're always bragging that Sprint PCS is losing money, then
> where shall they get the manpower to enforce it 100% without raising
> costs?

Enforcement could be done through an automated computer billing program,
no manpower required. I think the reason SprintPCS doesn't enforce
the prohibition against moderate data usage is because they know it would
cause a lot of customers to switch to T-Mobile. I know I would.

--

John Richards
Anonymous

In article <rmarkoff-E7A993.05583823042004
@news04.east.earthlink.net>, rmarkoff@msn.com says...

> Nice try.
>
> If you won't enforce a policy, why have it? It only encourages abuse.

Nobody said we don't. Quite opposite, in fact. We *do* enforce it.
Just as with anything else, though, the severity of the offense
determines the attention the violation gets. Right now, the priority
is the big users. When that is handled, the focus will shift. Just
as happens in law enforcement. Light users are under the proverbial
radar right now.

That does *not* mean it's not being enforced.

--
RØß
O/Siris

In article <rmarkoff-FCF50E.05200423042004
@news04.east.earthlink.net>, rmarkoff@msn.com says...
> It apparently is like SprintPCS not being able to track useage.

Another conclusion leapt to from the forum's least credible "expert."

--
RØß
O/Siris

O/Siris wrote:

> In article <rmarkoff-E7A993.05583823042004
> @news04.east.earthlink.net>, rmarkoff@msn.com says...
> >
> > Nice try.
> >
> > If you won't enforce a policy, why have it? It only encourages abuse.
> >

> Nobody said we don't. Quite opposite, in fact. We *do* enforce it.
> Just as with anything else, though, the severity of the offense
> determines the attention the violation gets. Right now, the priority
> is the big users. When that is handled, the focus will shift. Just
> as happens in law enforcement. Light users are under the proverbial
> radar right now.

I'm not clear as to why the concept is so difficult to understand.

The speed limit is 65mph. If you go over, the police have the right
to cite you. A little over, maybe a warning, but, then again, maybe
a full-blown ticket. Way over, see you in court.

Larry
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 24, 2004 2:50:59 PM

In article <9c8d37070d6b2b55d8acd87dc63639e9@news.teranews.com>,
O/Siris <0siris@sprîntpcs.com> wrote:

> In article <rmarkoff-FCF50E.05200423042004
> @news04.east.earthlink.net>, rmarkoff@msn.com says...
> > It apparently is like SprintPCS not being able to track useage.
> >

> Another conclusion leapt to from the forum's least credible "expert."

Fine, then where on the Web will a user see their data useage??

They won't !!

Sprint doesn't track it.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 24, 2004 2:56:21 PM

In article <1e660db65969aba20067493785af635a@news.teranews.com>,
O/Siris <0siris@sprîntpcs.com> wrote:

> In article <rmarkoff-E7A993.05583823042004
> @news04.east.earthlink.net>, rmarkoff@msn.com says...
> >
> > Nice try.
> >
> > If you won't enforce a policy, why have it? It only encourages abuse.
> >

> Nobody said we don't. Quite opposite, in fact. We *do* enforce it.
> Just as with anything else, though, the severity of the offense
> determines the attention the violation gets. Right now, the priority
> is the big users. When that is handled, the focus will shift. Just
> as happens in law enforcement. Light users are under the proverbial
> radar right now.
>
> That does *not* mean it's not being enforced.

Absolutely it does, and even Tech Geek agrees with that.

You do nothing about a Light user, and next month they're a moderate
euser, and soon a heavy user.
When you have a secret standard and don't enforce it uniformly, and
don't enforce it for "casual" users. It's not really enforced.
Nonenforcement encourages the abuse you worry about.
We've had many users post that they use their phone as a modem all the
time with no trouble, and then you point to the TOS that say that's a
no-no.

Or as you said when you admitted you didnt know what the line was, and
that it was just a "rumor"

In article <178e0a7170b01c0c27ff831c6e9a2832@news.teranews.com>,
O/Siris <osiris@sprintpcs.com> wrote:

> So far, the only customers I've seen enforced under this policy have
> been obvious examples. One of them over 10GB in a month. Rumors
> abound about where the limit is that gets attention.

And as always after you post something to try and prove how much you
know, you get embarressed by it and try to coverup.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 24, 2004 4:34:05 PM

In article <4089E964.2CE1E6CF@spamcop.net>,
Lawrence Glasser <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote:

> The speed limit is 65mph. If you go over, the police have the right
> to cite you. A little over, maybe a warning, but, then again, maybe
> a full-blown ticket. Way over, see you in court.

Fine but thats not what SprintPCS is doing.

The policy is no use. With your analogy, its like only stopping someone
with no drivers license if they drive 120 mph.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 24, 2004 4:35:11 PM

In article <1Ijic.11507$%i1.9193@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com>,
"John Richards" <supportdesk70-NO-SPAM@NO.SPAM.sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Enforcement could be done through an automated computer billing program,
> no manpower required. I think the reason SprintPCS doesn't enforce
> the prohibition against moderate data usage is because they know it would
> cause a lot of customers to switch to T-Mobile. I know I would.

Maybe, but change the policy now.

Don't have a: "You can't do it, wink, wink,. nudge, nudge policy."
!