Computer says "no devices found" for sound.. pls help!

kris0824

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
ok, we just built a computer yesterday and as we plugged in the speakers on the 7.1 audio on the motherboard, there was no sound! we checked control panel>hardware and sound>sound> and it says "no devices found". we downloaded sound drivers from "realtek", installed it, restarted, still a no go! but as we plugged in the usb headset, voila, there was sound! what we dont understand is why wont the 7.1 audio channel work on the motherboard? (we plugged it on the green socket dotn worry :pt1cable: )

MKBL

Splendid
Nov 17, 2011
I would check these:

- Speaker power: is power LED on?
- Speaker cable configuration: the single green socket on the i/o panel is stereo output, not 7.1
- Sound driver specific for the motherboard (not directly from the realtek)
- Any other sound devices plugged in. i.e. when you plug in USB headset, your speaker may not work

G

what motherboard please.
sometimes windows gets flonky and you may need to go into the control panel/sound/playback > right click in the window > show all devices > and chose realtek HD audio 9speakers) as default.

kris0824

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
yep we did install motherboard drivers

yep speaker power LED is on (got it green socket-stereo output) when we plugged in the USB wireless headset it worked fine, there was sound. we also tested the speakers if it would work on other computers and it did.

motherboard is EVGA Z68 SLi Micro

kris0824

Distinguished
May 22, 2011

and yeah we downloaded the motherboard specific audio driver from EVGA..

if it a new build did you install the mb chipset drivers. also check the bios to see that the audio chipset is turned on. on most mb there are two audio output plug the one for the front panel and one for the rear. if your not getting sound from the front one try the rear. I would also try a pair of head phones. also with realteck there are two or more audio drivers the older ac97 audio driver and the hd audio driver. i would look at your mb cd or the mb vendor web page and download the driver there. (had to do that with my asus mb the standard driver on realteck web page was not the same as the vendor one.).

kris0824

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
We tried the audio output from the front and the back, still no sound.. And yep we have installed the chipset drivers.. I believe hat we downloaded was the hd audio driver from realtek. What i dont understand is why would a usb headset work but not the 3.5mm audio output jack? Thanks again to all of u guys:)

G

have you made sure it is enabled in the control panel?
soundw.jpg

G

right click where you see all that HDMI gack and select "show disabled devices" your speakers may then show up to select them as default.

kris0824

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
hi, yes we've downloaded the realtek drivers, still a no go :( i know its getting frustrating.. but we've found a temporary solution.. we plugged in the audio output on the Logitech G110 and guess what.. it worked! we have audio output on speakers! now as the motherboard audio output on the motherboard is stuck not being used, would it mean that we have a defective audio output from the motherboard?

G

not necessarily so that your onboard output is defective. there may be something flonky going on in windows. just to check.
did installing the drivers from realtek give you the audio manager that i posted a screen shot before?
do you have this in your device manger?:
capturepdt.jpg

if no for either, i am suspecting a windows problem, what exactly escapes me ATM.
if you care to and have the extra time and a spare flash drive to experiment, you can try running a "live" version of linux; it run linux off of a bootable USB stick w/o installing it.
http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/download
that is a harmless install that will take you through the process of making one. after making one; the next time you boot up press the key to select the boot device. ( i think your EVGA board might be the ESC key, atleast it was in the two i have had.)
if you have sound while using the linux live then your onboard output is fine and your windows driver installation, for whatever reason, is flonky.

btw, have you tried the front audio output if you have the header connected?

You have to disable security such as firewall and anti virus before installing drivers. Delete the old drivers before installing new ones.