Things are really slow in these game ng's atm

Last response: in Video Games
June 2, 2005 2:44:54 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

I regularly follow threads in .rpg and .strategic and it's never seemed
slower than at present. For .rpg, I've got 11 active threads
showing....four of which are flagged "ignore conversation" because they're
Steam-related (Will they never tire of it? It's almost as bad as BC3K used
to be). For .strategic, I've got 6 threads showing...one of which is a
"test." Granted I "mark all read" a couple of times a day, but from my
perspective, these groups are almost dead. Even some interesting OT would
be better than this. I know things will pick up with the "next big game,"
but we're just not seeing as many "next big games" as we did in the '90's.

More about : things slow game atm

Anonymous
June 2, 2005 2:44:55 AM

"DocScorpio" <docscorpio@strupra-spammeros.com> wrote in message
>I regularly follow threads in .rpg and .strategic and it's never seemed
>slower than at present. For .rpg, I've got 11 active threads
>showing....four of which are flagged "ignore conversation" because they're
>Steam-related (Will they never tire of it? It's almost as bad as BC3K used
>to be). For .strategic, I've got 6 threads showing...one of which is a
>"test." Granted I "mark all read" a couple of times a day, but from my
>perspective, these groups are almost dead. Even some interesting OT would
>be better than this. I know things will pick up with the "next big game,"
>but we're just not seeing as many "next big games" as we did in the '90's.

Summer, when even the greatest of the great dork goes outside (all be it for
a trip to the computer store, but sometimes they get lost).
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 2:44:55 AM

DocScorpio wrote:

>I regularly follow threads in .rpg and .strategic and it's never seemed
>slower than at present. For .rpg, I've got 11 active threads
>showing....four of which are flagged "ignore conversation" because they're
>Steam-related (Will they never tire of it? It's almost as bad as BC3K used
>to be). For .strategic, I've got 6 threads showing...one of which is a
>"test." Granted I "mark all read" a couple of times a day, but from my
>perspective, these groups are almost dead. Even some interesting OT would
>be better than this. I know things will pick up with the "next big game,"
>but we're just not seeing as many "next big games" as we did in the '90's.

There's a lot in development, but lots of those fail, never come to
market. I have been in several betas in the last year that did not
bring anything to market, or failed soon after, and none that did any
good. Lots of companies seem to be releasing stuff that is just not
ready, and all are doing lousy designs, too ambitious, not well
conceived, and poorly implemented. If the industry dies it will be
because they cut their own throats.

I find myself in the odd circumstance of planning, saving, preparing to
build my next big machine, only to realize that when I have it there
doesn't seem to be anything to run on it. What the heck is the point?

--
A sufficiently advanced computer network protective attitude is indistinguishable from paranoia.
June 2, 2005 2:44:56 AM

Grackle wrote:

>Summer, when even the greatest of the great dork goes outside (all be it for
>a trip to the computer store, but sometimes they get lost).

I don't like to go outside in summer, you can't see the computer screen.

--
A sufficiently advanced computer network protective attitude is indistinguishable from paranoia.
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 2:48:47 AM

"Quaestor" <no.spam@my.place> wrote in message

> I find myself in the odd circumstance of planning, saving, preparing to
> build my next big machine, only to realize that when I have it there
> doesn't seem to be anything to run on it. What the heck is the point?

My usual pattern when it comes to doing major upgrades to a computer or
building a whole new one from scratch is to plan for it months in advance,
if not a year. Generally I'll try to put $180 aside every month in a
savings account, this way I don't use credit and am not put out financially
trying to come up with a whack of cash all at once. If I feel I have enough
money to do what I want but am still happy with the gear I have, at least
the money is already saved up and there when I want to take the plunge.
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 10:45:50 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

We need Dominions 3.
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 11:03:38 AM

littlemute wrote:
> We need Dominions 3.

Quite a few war/strategic games to have come out recently.
But a lot of traffic has moved from usenet to webforums. Changing
times...
June 2, 2005 4:58:31 PM

"littlemute" <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote in message
> We need Dominions 3.

Yep, that's what I'm waiting for. Dominions 2 is now my favorite strategy
game ever.
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 10:59:41 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 22:44:54 GMT, "DocScorpio"
<docscorpio@strupra-spammeros.com> wrote:

>I regularly follow threads in .rpg and .strategic and it's never seemed
>slower than at present. For .rpg, I've got 11 active threads
>showing....four of which are flagged "ignore conversation" because they're
>Steam-related (Will they never tire of it? It's almost as bad as BC3K used
>to be). For .strategic, I've got 6 threads showing...one of which is a
>"test." Granted I "mark all read" a couple of times a day, but from my
>perspective, these groups are almost dead. Even some interesting OT would
>be better than this. I know things will pick up with the "next big game,"
>but we're just not seeing as many "next big games" as we did in the '90's.

My NBT is either Oblivion, the next Elder Scrolls game, or Civ 4. And
given that Civ 4 won't need me to buy a new PC, that might just get
the edge...

And what's with all the carrots ?
June 3, 2005 1:55:58 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

"DocScorpio" <docscorpio@strupra-spammeros.com> once tried to test me
with:

> I regularly follow threads in .rpg and .strategic and it's never
> seemed slower than at present. For .rpg, I've got 11 active threads
> showing....four of which are flagged "ignore conversation" because
> they're Steam-related (Will they never tire of it? It's almost as bad
> as BC3K used to be). For .strategic, I've got 6 threads showing...one
> of which is a "test." Granted I "mark all read" a couple of times a
> day, but from my perspective, these groups are almost dead. Even some
> interesting OT would be better than this. I know things will pick up
> with the "next big game," but we're just not seeing as many "next big
> games" as we did in the '90's.

Well Dungeon Siege 2 is likely to bring in some traffic to csipg.rpg in a
few weeks. Dungeon Lords might have but I think a lot of people aren't
buying it because it's getting pretty bad reviews (and I can't blame the
reviewers here, the game shipped too soon). Of course we also have a bunch
of regulars deciding to leave the groups (or a few anyway). I really just
feel like Usenet, or at least these groups, aren't very relevant anymore to
the online gaming scene. Everyone just participates in the forums for the
games they are playing.

As for csipg.strategic, I'm not sure why Empire Earth 2 or other recent
strategy titles haven't brought much new discussion. Maybe no one is
playing RTS games anymore or maybe the RTS players all quit the group.
There's also not much turn-based happening in the strategy gaming world
anymore.

Perhaps if you can think of some good topics that are at least tangentially
related to RPGs or strategy go ahead and post them. We do need to generate
some discussion, and hopefully not the tired old "what is an RPG" or "real-
time vs. turn-based" ;) .

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 2:05:56 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

Sheldon England <sheldonengland@netscape.net> once tried to test me with:

> My top choices from the last few years (i.e. still installed and played
> somewhat regularly) are:
>
> Halo for PC (yeah yeah ... I know this is old)
> Rise of Nations (with Thrones and Patriots)
> Neverwinter Nights (with SoU and HotU)
> Empire Earth (with the expansion)
> Medieval Total War (with Viking Invasions)
> Rome Total War
> Civilization 3 (almost as good as Civ2)
> Warcraft 3
> KotOR
>
> Have I overlooked any gems that might bring me joy and bliss?

You overlooked Gothic 2 for the RPG side.

For the strategy side I'll have to let someone else answer because I just
haven't been as turned on by strategy games as I was in the past.

You mention Empire Earth, are you getting EE2?

I skipped MTW, but a friend of mine just got a new PC and picked that up so
I'm tempted to give it a try so we can go online together.

> Is it just time to get an X-Box or PlayStation?

Not a chance. Not for the RPG and Strategy genres, that is. Although Jade
Empire on Xbox is very sweet. I would still recommend waiting to see if
Jade Empire runs on the Xbox 360 and if so just skip the first gen Xboxen.
Playstation 2 has a ton of RPGs for it, but unless you like the story-
driven anime-style console RPGs, you won't be pleased. You won't find
anything like you'll find on the PC there. I personally appreciate both
types of games (console-style RPG vs. PC-style RPG) but certainly recognize
that they are very different.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 2:24:17 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

On moo3 a bit, there was simply no feedback players got for playing
that had any appeal to me, I had no emotional attachment to my units,
to my race or to the competing races, the space battles needed about
two more months of playtesting and still would have been devoid of much
interest, plus the real moo 3 (birth of the federation) did space
battles much better. There was no 'collectible' aspect in that when you
conquer other races you get new units, nor was that represented by a
tech tree (which could be completely ignored to run itself. I knew I
hated it, but couldn't put my finger on why completely. Then I played
Dominions 2 (which came out the same year BTW) and it all fell into
place. Everything Moo3 was: a lot of glitz, a lot of graphic design, a
lot of hype, and gameplay a complete soul-less mess, Dominions 2 was
the exact opposite: low end graphics, no hype, and just about
everything you could hope for in a strategy game experience, including
ACTUALLY PLAYABLE multiplayer gameplay.

The playstation 2 has GTA:SA which is quite an experience, Virtua
Fighter EVO, which is the gods of japan's gift to the world, and
Disgaea, the most addicting tactical RPG I've experienced.
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 9:58:15 PM

Knight37 wrote:

> You overlooked Gothic 2 for the RPG side.

Thanks for the recommendation. I will investigate.

> For the strategy side I'll have to let someone else answer because I just
> haven't been as turned on by strategy games as I was in the past.
>
> You mention Empire Earth, are you getting EE2?

Empire Earth and the Art of Conquest expansion were both interesting at
first but the way the AI overcompensated for playing 'intelligent
humans' left me wanting. I loved the EE customizable 'civilizations' and
how you could tweak tech trees and such -- plus the ideas for the cybers
and space combat but I just couldn't believe how quickly the enemy could
recover from attacks or rebuild infrastructure. I made a test map where
the enemy had zero resources and, lo and behold, they still 'harvested'
gold, lumber, etc., way faster than I could and that kinda took the wind
out of my sails for EE. :\

Rise of Nations handles this much better IMO and is a much more elegant
game. I will definitely be watching EE2 and, being a gaming fool, will
probably buy it just because I have to see if they fixed the flaws.

> I skipped MTW, but a friend of mine just got a new PC and picked that up so
> I'm tempted to give it a try so we can go online together.

Much more fun against a human opponent. Much!

At first I just played MTW for the campaign and skipped over the battles
but, as time progressed, I found the battles to be the most challenging
and rewarding aspect of the game. I think the designers of the battle
system are truly genius.

I think I may just be turning into a gaming Luddite. I like MTW better
than RTW, I liked Civilization 2 better than 3, I liked MoO2 better than
3. It used to be that I would buy a game, play the hell out of it, then
move on to the new great game. Now I am playing older games again. Heck,
last night I scrolled up and down the game list and ended up sailing
around and sinking ships in my Pirates of the Caribbean game! I may soon
resort to pulling my old Avalon Hill bookcase games out of storage.

> > Is it just time to get an X-Box or PlayStation?
>
> Not a chance. Not for the RPG and Strategy genres, that is. Although Jade
> Empire on Xbox is very sweet.

That game specifically is what makes me ask. It looks *totally* sweet.

> I would still recommend waiting to see if
> Jade Empire runs on the Xbox 360 and if so just skip the first gen Xboxen.

Yeah, that's kinda what I've been thinking.

I also hesitate to go console primarily because my wife has the TV and
living room where I get the PC and the den. There will be scheduling ...
conflicts. ;)

> Playstation 2 has a ton of RPGs for it, but unless you like the story-
> driven anime-style console RPGs, you won't be pleased. You won't find
> anything like you'll find on the PC there.

It's that ... or keep playing old PC games until they can no longer be
played on Windows XP3000 or whatever is in store for the future of OSes.

> I personally appreciate both
> types of games (console-style RPG vs. PC-style RPG) but certainly recognize
> that they are very different.

Agreed. I mostly play consoles when visiting friends so am not as
experienced with them ... but I can be flexible. As your sig. says "Once
a gamer, always a gamer."

Thanks for the recommendation and info.

- Sheldon
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 12:42:54 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> looked up from reading the entrails of

<snip>
>Well Dungeon Siege 2 is likely to bring in some traffic to csipg.rpg in a
>few weeks. Dungeon Lords might have but I think a lot of people aren't
>buying it because it's getting pretty bad reviews (and I can't blame the
>reviewers here, the game shipped too soon). Of course we also have a bunch
>of regulars deciding to leave the groups (or a few anyway). I really just
>feel like Usenet, or at least these groups, aren't very relevant anymore to
>the online gaming scene. Everyone just participates in the forums for the
>games they are playing.

Unfortunately, you almost have to these days to get necessary
information and/or get the developers to be aware of bugs.

Usenet groups make for a fairly decent overview of games, their good
points and their problems, with the forums giving the fine details.

They both serve a purpose, and work fairly well as long as you don't
expect more from them than that.

Usenet also has the advantage of being archived, whether by google or
your local spool, so that information stays around for a lot longer than
forum information tends too.

It also provides an outlet that the game companies _can't_ censor as
they can and do on their own webforums.
The downside is that noone else can censor usenet either, so we have to
deal with morons like SteamKILLER who would be banned from webforums
within minutes.

Webforums will never replace usenet.

Xocyll
June 4, 2005 3:17:08 AM

"Nostromo" <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote in message

> Hmnmm...a WH40K RTS...not generally my cuppa tea...what's so good about
> it?
> How does it compare to RTW, RON, Kohan & other similar top titles?

Hang on, you haven't even played Dawn of War? Well, bugger me sideways, DoW
is a top notch game. It takes the Warhammer 40k universe and does a great
job. I loved the single player campaign and the multiplayer action is as
fast and furious as you want it to be. Feature wise it's got everything you
would expect from a modern _good_ RTS and adds in things like critical
strategic points and so on for some further variety. And the 4 races all
play very differently, though unfortunately you can only play the Space
Marines in the campaign.

Graphics are fantastic, seriously some of the best I've seen for an RTS, I
think they are better than Act of War (which has some great graphics) simply
because of the amount of life you see in each of your troops. Watch a Space
Marine Terminator with a Power Hammer smash his way through a mob of Orks
and you will smile every time that hammer connects :)  The game also allows
squads, upgrades to each of the squads (all independent) and allows you to
take development paths that vary a respectable amount. For instance with the
Marines do you go for the high end Terminators with their teleporting
devices, or for the pounding Dreadnaughts? Though I guess in the multiplier
aspect you'll need to go straight for the biggest and baddest to survive (or
rush lots of Marine Scouts with sniper rifle upgrades in to seriously piss
of your opponent early game :p ).

Very popular game as far as I could tell. And as I love the War40k universe
it was a great buy. Plus, it's from Relic, the makers of the two greatest
RTS's ever (IMHO :p ).

I would have typed more but I think I'm being a bastard and neglecting my
girlfriend...

Ceo-
June 4, 2005 12:49:31 PM

Thus spake "Ceowulf" <ceo@NOSPAMii.ATALLnet>, Fri, 3 Jun 2005 23:17:08
+0800, Anno Domini:

>"Nostromo" <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote in message
>
>> Hmnmm...a WH40K RTS...not generally my cuppa tea...what's so good about
>> it?
>> How does it compare to RTW, RON, Kohan & other similar top titles?
>
>Hang on, you haven't even played Dawn of War? Well, bugger me sideways, DoW
>is a top notch game. It takes the Warhammer 40k universe and does a great
>job. I loved the single player campaign and the multiplayer action is as
>fast and furious as you want it to be. Feature wise it's got everything you
>would expect from a modern _good_ RTS and adds in things like critical
>strategic points and so on for some further variety. And the 4 races all
>play very differently, though unfortunately you can only play the Space
>Marines in the campaign.

Never played WH40K...seen geeks in dungeons play it on tabletops, but then I
was a geek in a dungeon or two playing D&D when I was younger :)

>Graphics are fantastic, seriously some of the best I've seen for an RTS, I
>think they are better than Act of War (which has some great graphics) simply
>because of the amount of life you see in each of your troops. Watch a Space
>Marine Terminator with a Power Hammer smash his way through a mob of Orks
>and you will smile every time that hammer connects :)  The game also allows
>squads, upgrades to each of the squads (all independent) and allows you to
>take development paths that vary a respectable amount. For instance with the
>Marines do you go for the high end Terminators with their teleporting
>devices, or for the pounding Dreadnaughts? Though I guess in the multiplier
>aspect you'll need to go straight for the biggest and baddest to survive (or
>rush lots of Marine Scouts with sniper rifle upgrades in to seriously piss
>of your opponent early game :p ).
>
>Very popular game as far as I could tell. And as I love the War40k universe
>it was a great buy. Plus, it's from Relic, the makers of the two greatest
>RTS's ever (IMHO :p ).

Which two? i.e. these two? heh, I'll take your word for it mate ;-p

Gettin the demo from Gamestop as we speak ;-) COOL! It's rated 'M'! :) ))

>I would have typed more but I think I'm being a bastard and neglecting my
>girlfriend...

Mate, get yer priorities right! How will you know how to service your gf
properly if you're out of practice playing games? ;-p

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

June 7, 2005 1:46:34 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

>>I regularly follow threads in .rpg and .strategic and it's never seemed
>>slower than at present. For .rpg, I've got 11 active threads
>>showing.

The Oblivion web forum is overflowing with activity.

Too bad most of it is liable to hurt your IQ.
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 9:12:24 PM

<drewdr@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>I regularly follow threads in .rpg and .strategic and it's never seemed
>>>slower than at present. For .rpg, I've got 11 active threads
>>>showing.
>
> The Oblivion web forum is overflowing with activity.
>
> Too bad most of it is liable to hurt your IQ.

Couldn't have put it better myself. I checked on it today at work
actually... I left shortly thereafter.

Ceo-
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 4:23:17 AM

"Ceowulf" <ceo@NOSPAMii.ATALLnet> wrote in message
> <drewdr@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> The Oblivion web forum is overflowing with activity.
>>
>> Too bad most of it is liable to hurt your IQ.
>
> Couldn't have put it better myself. I checked on it today at work
> actually... I left shortly thereafter.
>
> Ceo-

My take exactly. I was only there for a few minutes, but experienced some
definite degeneration in reasoning ability. I just hope it's reversible.
Well, we were warned.
!