Dumb question from a newbie....

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
April 16, 2004 11:38:59 AM

Can I get a Sprint phone and have the same coverage as a Verizon
customer (according to many folks, Verizon has the best coverage where
I live, DC area)? I read somewhere that Verizon and Sprint allow
their customers to roam on each others network. If this is true, why
wouldn't I be able to get a Sprint phone and plan that would allow
unlimited roaming. What am I missing?

In case you are wondering...why this questions being asked:

- Sprint has better selection of phones and better pricing on their
plans.
- Verizon has a better phone network/coverage (at least in the Metro
DC area).

If I can get a better phone & plan from Sprint and get the same level
of coverage as Verizon, why would I'll get Sprint. But I'm guessing
that I am missing something.

Also, on the Sprint phones, when using your cell phone as a modem on a
laptop (DC area), what types of connection speeds are you getting?

TIA
Ron

More about : dumb question newbie

Anonymous
April 16, 2004 7:56:48 PM

In article <49ff3227.0404160638.3e4f5dcf@posting.google.com>,
ron_mase@yahoo.com (ron) wrote:

> Can I get a Sprint phone and have the same coverage as a Verizon
> customer (according to many folks, Verizon has the best coverage where
> I live, DC area)?

No. With the possible exception of sometimes its possible to get a
SprintPCS phone activated on the Verizon Wireless System, if you
get a cooperative technician and know your phones MSL. My son lives in
the D.C. area, and for most folks, Verizon does have the best coverage.

> I read somewhere that Verizon and Sprint allow
> their customers to roam on each others network.

It is totally at SprintPCS discretion where that happens, and its not
universal, its controlled by the PRL file in the phone. Why would they
let you roam on the Verizon Network where Sprint has coverage?

> If this is true, why
> wouldn't I be able to get a Sprint phone and plan that would allow
> unlimited roaming. What am I missing?

And in any event SprintPCS doesn't have any plans with unlimited
roaming. They have a good deal that allows you to use up to 50% of your
actually used minutes for roaming for just $5/month in areas covered by
SprintPCS and not an affiliate.

> In case you are wondering...why this questions being asked:
>
> - Sprint has better selection of phones and better pricing on their
> plans.
> - Verizon has a better phone network/coverage (at least in the Metro
> DC area).
>
> If I can get a better phone & plan from Sprint and get the same level
> of coverage as Verizon, why would I'll get Sprint. But I'm guessing
> that I am missing something.
>
> Also, on the Sprint phones, when using your cell phone as a modem on a
> laptop (DC area), what types of connection speeds are you getting?

In the DC Area, Digital service by Verizon would be faster (but more
expensive) than SprintPCS.

> TIA
> Ron

I see three possible solutions, ranked in order of cost to you, cheapest
first.

Either get the roaming deal with SprintPCS, and make do (you could be
well or poorly satisfied, each situation is unique),

or make do with one of the Verizon phones on the Verizon system, some of
their more expensive phones aren't so bad.

or third choice. Get two phones, one Sprint, one Verizon.
Anonymous
April 16, 2004 9:46:57 PM

Robert M. <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote:

>> I read somewhere that Verizon and Sprint allow
>> their customers to roam on each others network.
>
> It is totally at SprintPCS discretion where that happens, and its not
> universal, its controlled by the PRL file in the phone. Why would they
> let you roam on the Verizon Network where Sprint has coverage?

And on the other side of the coin, it's Verizon's decision whether they
let you roam on Sprint. They've gotten rid of most Sprint roaming because
Alltel has a sweetheart deal with them and offers better roaming rates to
Verizon. US Cellular, I believe, also has a better deal with Verizon than
Sprint does.

> I see three possible solutions, ranked in order of cost to you, cheapest
> first.
>
> Either get the roaming deal with SprintPCS, and make do (you could be
> well or poorly satisfied, each situation is unique),

This might not be bad advice, except that if Sprint sees that you are
consistently spending more than 50% of your airtime using their roaming
partners, they will eventually force you to drop the F&CA option, at which
point you will pay for roaming.

> or make do with one of the Verizon phones on the Verizon system, some of
> their more expensive phones aren't so bad.

The real solution is to decide which carrier has better coverage in your
area and use them. In many places, Verizon has better coverage. However,
in some areas (Minnesota, Wisconsin) Sprint has better coverage, and in other
areas (Arkansas, Oklahoma and the Plains states in general), Sprint has
coverage and Verizon actually has none. (Verizon is great on the coasts,
in the Southeast, the Pacific Southwest and most of the Midwest, but there
are a couple big areas where they do not have any native coverage at all.)

> or third choice. Get two phones, one Sprint, one Verizon.

This would work too. It's just a question of whether it's worth the money to
you.

April 16, 2004 10:45:41 PM

The roaming need not be symmetrical. It doesn't matter whether Verizon
users are allowed to roam on Sprint in DC. It only matters, in Ron's
case, whether a Sprint user may roam on Verizon in DC. The latter is
probably possible - I think I remember other posters have written about
their Sprint phones roaming on Verizon in the DC Metro.

Here in the SF Bay Area, Verizon is the first choice in the Sprint
phone's PRL for roaming, so if I set my phone's Roaming setting on
Automatic, then if the phone cannot find a usable Sprint signal, it will
look for a Verizon signal (2nd choice in the SF Bay Area is ATTWS analog).

It's not seamless. When Roaming is set on Automatic, one's phone has to
give up on being able to find a Sprint signal before it will start
looking for some other available and allowed network. This process can
take a minute or two. Sometimes the phone might choose Verizon analog
(which uses the battery faster) than Verizon digital (I don't know why).
And call delivery may be less reliable while roaming than while on
your own network. But it usually works.

One way to tell on whose system your phone is roaming is to dial 611
while roaming and see whose customer care recording answers.

Other posters clarified the 50% rule.

April 17, 2004 12:53:18 AM

ron wrote:

> - Verizon has a better phone network/coverage (at least in the Metro
> DC area).

I live in the sticks in northern VA and travel to DC daily and travel
around the northern VA/Baltimore area on occasion. I am very happy with
my overall signal with Sprint and quite honestly there are only a few
specific areas I've encounterd where I have I experience occasional
drops (my old Cingular phone dropped in the same places). I can talk
from my office to my house front door about 60 miles away with no problems.
Please don't make a decision on my experience though.. There are very
general trends of coverage per carrier but coverage areas are definately
something where Your Milage May Vary..
Anonymous
April 18, 2004 7:48:51 AM

ron wrote:

> Can I get a Sprint phone and have the same coverage as a Verizon
> customer (according to many folks, Verizon has the best coverage where
> I live, DC area)? I read somewhere that Verizon and Sprint allow
> their customers to roam on each others network. If this is true, why
> wouldn't I be able to get a Sprint phone and plan that would allow
> unlimited roaming. What am I missing?

Can't directly answer that, but here's what I've experienced
and someone can comment on it. Sometimes when I'm off Sprint's
network - and trust me, I"m OFF their network by at least fifty
miles - I'll go into digital roaming , instead of the usual analog
roaming. I'm pretty sure it really true digital because my battery
life is several times longer thatn when analog roaming. Of course,
my Vision doesn't work.

> Also, on the Sprint phones, when using your cell phone as a modem on a
> laptop (DC area), what types of connection speeds are you getting?

I live about four miles from the nearest tower and get around
50 to 60K speeds. One thing I noticed, pulling the antenna out DOES
make a difference in speed. I use www.dslreports.com for testing.
It also appears to be time of day related. 5:00 in a metro area
along a freeway and its about useless, but at three in the morning,
its great - apparently not as many people using the channels.
!