pro tools le 6.7 w/ mbox on a G4 MAC: system requirements

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
January 17, 2005 11:52:12 AM

any opinions/facts regarding running on a 400MgH G4???? Do I need a
MAC monitor?

thanks,
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
January 17, 2005 1:22:29 PM

rich wrote:

> any opinions/facts regarding running on a 400MgH G4???? Do I need a
> MAC monitor?

1. Lots of folks use that setup.
2. Any VGA is fine.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
January 17, 2005 10:19:52 PM

Hi,
400 is not so fast...
it depends on what you will do with it, tracking or mixing, and on how many
(vst) instruments you will use at a time.
Use 1giga of ram, 512 I think it will not be enough...
And beware of the latency of the mBox, it's HUGE!!!
Max

"rich" <colerw@comcast.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
> any opinions/facts regarding running on a 400MgH G4???? Do I need a
> MAC monitor?
>
> thanks,

Related resources
January 18, 2005 1:33:49 AM

rich wrote:
> any opinions/facts regarding running on a 400MgH G4???? Do I need a
> MAC monitor?
>
> thanks,

Which OS version are you using? According to Digidesign.com you need to
be running OS X 10.3.

--
Eric

www.Raw-Tracks.com
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
January 18, 2005 12:33:37 PM

Check the compatibility requirements on Digi's web site. It's that
simple. The monitor doesn't matter, as long as it can handle a certain
resolution, I think 1024x768 at least. Again, check Digi's site.

Cheers,
Trevor de Clercq

rich wrote:
> any opinions/facts regarding running on a 400MgH G4???? Do I need a
> MAC monitor?
>
> thanks,

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
January 19, 2005 8:40:55 PM

> any opinions/facts regarding running on a 400MgH G4???? Do I need a
> MAC monitor?

Unless you're using it as a mastering station, that's way short on CPU. I
recommend a minimum dual 1GHz G4 for Mac DAW's. If yours is a Sawtooth
model (AGP graphics) then there's a $399 dual 1GHz G4 upgrade at OWC
(www.macsales.com), and I recommend that over a full tower upgrade since
audio really isn't so tasking on ram, FSB, video, etc. If it's a Yikes
model (PCI graphics) then you're S.O.L.

Both models have standard VGA jacks, Apple monitor is not required.
February 8, 2005 2:40:20 PM

I'd sell that computer for $300 or so and put it into a Mac Mini.

Raymond wrote:
> >rich wrote:
> >
> >> any opinions/facts regarding running on a 400MgH G4???? Do I
need a
> >> MAC monitor?
> >

> I've not used the Mbox but I ran DP3 on that very same 400 Mhz G4
with a MOTU
> 24i, I had less than 512 RAM. I could get about 12 tracks and two or
three
> Aux's with about a dozen or so plugs running before I started getting
freezing
> and crashing.
> The latency was the worse thing to deal with, it sounded like what I
was
> monitoring was laced with a heavy flange or chorused. I have
installed an
> aftermarket chip that has boosted me to 1.4 Gigs of power and the RAM
is now
> almost 700 Megs. The only downside of this hot rod is that the bus
rate is
> still only 100 Megs.
> I can say that there is a large improvement in the number of tracks
and plugs I
> can now run but I've not tested the latency. The whole upgrade set me
back
> $600.00 US and a lot of time updating to OS 9.2.2 and the MOTU and
DP3 updates.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
February 8, 2005 5:50:52 PM

But have you seen the prices on RAM upgrades for the Mini?
Outrageous...that's the one thing holding me back from those little guys.

Cheers,
Trevor de Clercq

MC wrote:
> I'd sell that computer for $300 or so and put it into a Mac Mini.
>

> Raymond wrote:

> need a

>>I've not used the Mbox but I ran DP3 on that very same 400 Mhz G4
>
> with a MOTU
>
>>24i, I had less than 512 RAM. I could get about 12 tracks and two or
>
> three
>
>>Aux's with about a dozen or so plugs running before I started getting
>
> freezing
>
>>and crashing.
>>The latency was the worse thing to deal with, it sounded like what I
>
> was
>
>>monitoring was laced with a heavy flange or chorused. I have
>
> installed an
>
>>aftermarket chip that has boosted me to 1.4 Gigs of power and the RAM
>
> is now
>
>>almost 700 Megs. The only downside of this hot rod is that the bus
>
> rate is
>
>>still only 100 Megs.
>>I can say that there is a large improvement in the number of tracks
>
> and plugs I
>
>>can now run but I've not tested the latency. The whole upgrade set me
>
> back
>
>>$600.00 US and a lot of time updating to OS 9.2.2 and the MOTU and
>
> DP3 updates.

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
February 8, 2005 5:50:53 PM

In article <1107892255.33dbfa30efc7bdeb26ed4c386bc606d9@teranews>,
Trevor de Clercq <declerct@IDONTLIKESPAMnewschool.edu> wrote:

> But have you seen the prices on RAM upgrades for the Mini?
> Outrageous...that's the one thing holding me back from those little guys.
>
> Cheers,
> Trevor de Clercq

Not reallyŠ $249 for 1GB.

Contrary to popular rumor, RAM is user upgradeable in the mini... just
be careful.

Try here:

http://www.ramjet.com/ItemDescription.asp?Item=MM1G
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
February 8, 2005 6:35:14 PM

I don't know where you're getting your prices from, but from the Apple
store it's $75 for the upgrade from 256 to 512 MB of RAM (reasonable)
and $325 for the upgrade from 256 to 1 GB of RAM (unreasonable).

I've got a licensed Apple tech sitting next to me and she advises me
strongly against buying third party RAM. And she doesn't even work for
Apple anymore.

Cheers,
Trevor de Clercq

Scudder wrote:
> In article <1107892255.33dbfa30efc7bdeb26ed4c386bc606d9@teranews>,
> Trevor de Clercq <declerct@IDONTLIKESPAMnewschool.edu> wrote:
>

>>But have you seen the prices on RAM upgrades for the Mini?
>>Outrageous...that's the one thing holding me back from those little guys.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Trevor de Clercq
>

> Not reallyŠ $249 for 1GB.
>
> Contrary to popular rumor, RAM is user upgradeable in the mini... just
> be careful.
>
> Try here:
>
> http://www.ramjet.com/ItemDescription.asp?Item=MM1G
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
February 8, 2005 6:35:15 PM

In article <1107894931.02829ba2378b90bf86a0e04a4d45a12b@teranews>,
Trevor de Clercq <declerct@IDONTLIKESPAMnewschool.edu> wrote:

> I don't know where you're getting your prices from, but from the Apple
> store it's $75 for the upgrade from 256 to 512 MB of RAM (reasonable)
> and $325 for the upgrade from 256 to 1 GB of RAM (unreasonable).
>
> I've got a licensed Apple tech sitting next to me and she advises me
> strongly against buying third party RAM. And she doesn't even work for
> Apple anymore.
>
> Cheers,
> Trevor de Clercq
>

> Scudder wrote:
> > In article <1107892255.33dbfa30efc7bdeb26ed4c386bc606d9@teranews>,
> > Trevor de Clercq <declerct@IDONTLIKESPAMnewschool.edu> wrote:
> >

> >>But have you seen the prices on RAM upgrades for the Mini?
> >>Outrageous...that's the one thing holding me back from those little guys.
> >>
> >>Cheers,
> >>Trevor de Clercq
> >

> > Not reallyŠ $249 for 1GB.
> >
> > Contrary to popular rumor, RAM is user upgradeable in the mini... just
> > be careful.
> >
> > Try here:
> >
> > http://www.ramjet.com/ItemDescription.asp?Item=MM1G

I'm getting my prices from the link directly above this message.

With respect, I would pay little attention to your friend. No
experienced Mac user has bought Apple RAM in yearsŠ it's been known
that Apple asks a huge premium that just isn't justified.

The reputable companies like Crucial and RamJet get their RAM from the
same suppliers as Apple. Most of them also offer a lifetime guarantee.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
February 8, 2005 9:13:46 PM

>rich wrote:
>
>> any opinions/facts regarding running on a 400MgH G4???? Do I need a
>> MAC monitor?

I've not used the Mbox but I ran DP3 on that very same 400 Mhz G4 with a MOTU
24i, I had less than 512 RAM. I could get about 12 tracks and two or three
Aux's with about a dozen or so plugs running before I started getting freezing
and crashing.
The latency was the worse thing to deal with, it sounded like what I was
monitoring was laced with a heavy flange or chorused. I have installed an
aftermarket chip that has boosted me to 1.4 Gigs of power and the RAM is now
almost 700 Megs. The only downside of this hot rod is that the bus rate is
still only 100 Megs.
I can say that there is a large improvement in the number of tracks and plugs I
can now run but I've not tested the latency. The whole upgrade set me back
$600.00 US and a lot of time updating to OS 9.2.2 and the MOTU and DP3 updates.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
February 9, 2005 7:01:33 AM

>From: "MC" santamonica789@yahoo.com
>Date: 2/8/05 2:40 P.M. Eastern Standard Time
>

>I'd sell that computer for $300 or so and put it into a Mac Mini.

Or maybe a down payment on a new Turn Key system.
!