Blumlein mounting hardware

Last response: in Home Audio
January 17, 2005 12:56:25 PM

Anyone have suggestions for mounting a pair of Studio Projects B3 microphones (the least expensive figure-eight I can find by far) in a proper Blumlein configuration?
Alan Hyatt says the mic comes with a shockmount, though all I can find on their site is a picture of a stand clip.

The mic is a fairly conventional shape with a narrow cable entry portion that ought to fit lots of clips <http://www.studioprojects.com/images/b3/b3_large.jpg&gt;

Microtech Gefell makes a nice mount that would probably fit, but it costs as much as the B3's do <http://microtechgefell.de/eng/prod/konden/m930-m940/m93...;

--thanks
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 8:38:51 PM

Kurt Albershardt wrote:
> Anyone have suggestions for mounting a pair of Studio Projects B3
microphones (the least expensive figure-eight I can find by far) in a
proper Blumlein configuration?
> Alan Hyatt says the mic comes with a shockmount, though all I can
find on their site is a picture of a stand clip.

> The mic is a fairly conventional shape with a narrow cable entry
portion that ought to fit lots of clips
<http://www.studioprojects.com/images/b3/b3_large.jpg&gt;

> Microtech Gefell makes a nice mount that would probably fit, but it
costs as much as the B3's do
<http://microtechgefell.de/eng/prod/konden/m930-m940/m93...;

Well as a cheap replacement for the Gefell bar there's always the
Sabre-Som STC2 or ST4 turned vertically, the $49 ST4 is 30mm long so
it might better accomodate longer mics. Wish they would make 50mm
bars though, since that is the distance B&K recommends for spaced Omni
piano recordings.

http://sound-room.com/customer/home.php?cat=6

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Staff Audio / Fox News Channel / M-AES
January 17, 2005 8:55:31 PM

WillStG wrote:

> as a cheap replacement for the Gefell bar there's always the
> Sabre-Som STC2 or ST4 turned vertically, the $49 ST4 is 30mm long so
> it might better accomodate longer mics.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

> Wish they would make 50mm
> bars though, since that is the distance B&K recommends for spaced Omni
> piano recordings.

Manfrotto makes a triple holder (#3110) that's 100mm long.
January 17, 2005 9:01:09 PM

In article <352ci5F4hc6ioU1@individual.net> kurt@nv.net writes:

> Anyone have suggestions for mounting a pair of Studio Projects B3 microphones
> (the least expensive figure-eight I can find by far) in a proper Blumlein
> configuration?
> Alan Hyatt says the mic comes with a shockmount, though all I can find on their
> site is a picture of a stand clip.

Blumlein mouting can be the same as X-Y, and I've mounted a couple of
Neumann Solution D mics on one of those Shure "billy club" mounts. It
looks kind of funny but it works. It might work with the shock mount,
though.

January 17, 2005 9:03:32 PM

Kurt Albershardt wrote:
> WillStG wrote:
>

>> as a cheap replacement for the Gefell bar there's always the
>> Sabre-Som STC2 or ST4 turned vertically, the $49 ST4 is 30mm long so
>> it might better accomodate longer mics.
>

> Thanks, I'll look into it.
>

>> Wish they would make 50mm
>> bars though, since that is the distance B&K recommends for spaced Omni
>> piano recordings.
>

> Manfrotto makes a triple holder (#3110) that's 100mm long.

Sorry, that's more like 67 cm long.
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 1:57:06 AM

>> Anyone have suggestions for mounting a pair of Studio Projects B3
microphones
>> (the least expensive figure-eight I can find by far) in a proper Blumlein
>> configuration?
>> Alan Hyatt says the mic comes with a shockmount, though all I can find
>on their
>> site is a picture of a stand clip.
>
>Blumlein mouting can be the same as X-Y, and I've mounted a couple of
>Neumann Solution D mics on one of those Shure "billy club" mounts. It
>looks kind of funny but it works. It might work with the shock mount,
>though.
>

>--
>I'm really Mike Rivers (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
>However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
>lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
>you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
>and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo

I use a pair of Atlas SO-1b on the vertical of a mic stand Works just fine on
microphones with shock mounts.

Richard H. Kuschel
January 19, 2005 1:14:55 PM

Richard Kuschel wrote:

> I use a pair of Atlas SO-1b on the vertical of a mic stand Works just fine on
> microphones with shock mounts.

Can't find it anywhere on the Atlas site, but from vendor sites it appears the SO-1B is a quick disconnect fitting.
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 5:23:54 PM

Kurt Albershardt wrote:
> Kurt Albershardt wrote:
> > WillStG wrote:
> >

> >> as a cheap replacement for the Gefell bar there's always the
> >> Sabre-Som STC2 or ST4 turned vertically, the $49 ST4 is 30mm
long so
> >> it might better accomodate longer mics.
> >

> > Thanks, I'll look into it.
> >

> >> Wish they would make 50mm
> >> bars though, since that is the distance B&K recommends for spaced
Omni
> >> piano recordings.
> >

> > Manfrotto makes a triple holder (#3110) that's 100mm long.
>
> Sorry, that's more like 67 cm long.

That is one great bar. With a couple extra parts it can be used exactly
like the Shure 'billy club' A27M mount. Heck... with enough parts it
can be turned into any sort of mount. I cut a small section of tubing
off to use like the Shure bar. 67cm was a little too long to put in my
backpack. The tubing has a 25mm diameter. It's not hard stock to order
if other sizes are needed. This is the 'erector set' of mic bars.

btw... I'd be comfortable bringing it into a street fight even if the
other guy had a Shure A27M.

peter
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 9:02:43 PM

>Can't find it anywhere on the Atlas site, but from vendor sites it appears
>the SO-1B is a quick disconnect fitting.

sorry, I gave the wrong Part number. It is a CO1b

It is a clamp that will attach to tubing up to 7/8" diameter. I also use them
for attachment to table tops or for adding another microphone to a gooseneck.

Richard H. Kuschel
January 20, 2005 9:33:10 PM

Richard Kuschel wrote:

> >Can't find it anywhere on the Atlas site, but from vendor sites it appears
> >the SO-1B is a quick disconnect fitting.

> sorry, I gave the wrong Part number. It is a CO1b

> It is a clamp that will attach to tubing up to 7/8" diameter. I also use them
> for attachment to table tops or for adding another microphone to a gooseneck.

That's the one I use to mount a second mic for acoustic guitar and
mandolin on stage. I skip the gooseneck and put the clip or shockmount,
depending on mic, right on the CO1-B. Works a treat.

--
ha
!