Dungeon Siege - any way to save multiplayer game in progre..

Status
Not open for further replies.

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Is there any way to save and then reload a multiplayer game in Dungeon
Siege? It seems that the "Save and Exit" only saves the characters,
not the world, so if we go back again we have to do all of the same
stuff and fight all the same critters over again, and never get to
finish the game or even get to higher level missions. My sons and I
like to play DS on our LAN, but not so much that we want to just leave
the game running for days on end to make progress through the world!

Any ideas?

John

John <reply@newsgroup.please.com> once tried to test me with:

> Is there any way to save and then reload a multiplayer game in Dungeon
> Siege? It seems that the "Save and Exit" only saves the characters,
> not the world, so if we go back again we have to do all of the same
> stuff and fight all the same critters over again, and never get to
> finish the game or even get to higher level missions. My sons and I
> like to play DS on our LAN, but not so much that we want to just leave
> the game running for days on end to make progress through the world!
>
> Any ideas?

The only thing that saves is if you make it to the next town or to one of
those teleporter things then your character should have access to those
areas the next time you play. Sort of like the way Diablo II worked, if you
made it to the next Waypoint it would remember that next time.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

John <reply@newsgroup.please.com> looked up from reading the entrails of

>Is there any way to save and then reload a multiplayer game in Dungeon
>Siege? It seems that the "Save and Exit" only saves the characters,
>not the world, so if we go back again we have to do all of the same
>stuff and fight all the same critters over again, and never get to
>finish the game or even get to higher level missions. My sons and I
>like to play DS on our LAN, but not so much that we want to just leave
>the game running for days on end to make progress through the world!

No you can't save anything but your character.

However you DON'T have to redo things you have already completed
assuming you have whatever item you had to get.

The only real quest (standard) is to collect the townstones, so as long
as you have them on you you don't have to get them again, just use the
teleporters and/or Hub to jump to whichever town is closest to where you
were last time.

Rather like Diablo2's waypoints.

Yes, unlike Diablo2 it will treat each game start as a new game and will
give you the quests again, but you don't HAVE to do them except for the
townstones.

Xocyll

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 16:08:04 -0500, John <reply@newsgroup.please.com>
wrote:

>Is there any way to save and then reload a multiplayer game in Dungeon
>Siege?

No, so far as I know there isn't.

> It seems that the "Save and Exit" only saves the characters,
>not the world, so if we go back again we have to do all of the same
>stuff and fight all the same critters over again, and never get to
>finish the game or even get to higher level missions.

Most people agree with you, and consider it a big flaw in the game.

--
Greg Johnson
Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.

On 4 Jun 2005 23:37:15 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:

>John <reply@newsgroup.please.com> once tried to test me with:
>
>> Is there any way to save and then reload a multiplayer game in Dungeon
>> Siege? It seems that the "Save and Exit" only saves the characters,
>> not the world, so if we go back again we have to do all of the same
>> stuff and fight all the same critters over again, and never get to
>> finish the game or even get to higher level missions. My sons and I
>> like to play DS on our LAN, but not so much that we want to just leave
>> the game running for days on end to make progress through the world!
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
>The only thing that saves is if you make it to the next town or to one of
>those teleporter things then your character should have access to those
>areas the next time you play.

IIRC, the major teleport pads were level based - you couldn't activate them
unless you obtained the associated character level (of course, by the time
you reach the destination, you were leveled high enough to survive
properly.)

I'm not sure about their persistance status, but I suspect you have to
reactivate them when you start a new session.

bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau) looked up from reading the entrails of

>On 4 Jun 2005 23:37:15 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>John <reply@newsgroup.please.com> once tried to test me with:
>>
>>> Is there any way to save and then reload a multiplayer game in Dungeon
>>> Siege? It seems that the "Save and Exit" only saves the characters,
>>> not the world, so if we go back again we have to do all of the same
>>> stuff and fight all the same critters over again, and never get to
>>> finish the game or even get to higher level missions. My sons and I
>>> like to play DS on our LAN, but not so much that we want to just leave
>>> the game running for days on end to make progress through the world!
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>
>>The only thing that saves is if you make it to the next town or to one of
>>those teleporter things then your character should have access to those
>>areas the next time you play.
>
>IIRC, the major teleport pads were level based - you couldn't activate them
>unless you obtained the associated character level (of course, by the time
>you reach the destination, you were leveled high enough to survive
>properly.)

The teleporter pads weren't, but the big circular HUB pads were level
based.
I ran into this a lot running through the multiplayer campaign solo.
Too low level to use the HUB to go there, and that meant I was too low
level to use it to leave too, even though I walked there just fine.

There are of course mods that remove the level restriction on the HUBs.

>I'm not sure about their persistance status, but I suspect you have to
>reactivate them when you start a new session.

Teleporters are one of those few things that's state is saved.

Xocyll

"John" <reply@newsgroup.please.com> wrote in message
> Is there any way to save and then reload a multiplayer game in Dungeon
> Siege? It seems that the "Save and Exit" only saves the characters,
> not the world, so if we go back again we have to do all of the same
> stuff and fight all the same critters over again, and never get to
> finish the game or even get to higher level missions. My sons and I
> like to play DS on our LAN, but not so much that we want to just leave
> the game running for days on end to make progress through the world!

There are mods that saves the MP Quests. However, monsters will show
up again if you open up a new game.

That's why you are encouraged to use the portals whenever possible.

--KC