what is sprint's policy on calls i didn't make, after losi..

Last response: in Network Providers
April 17, 2004 2:26:48 PM

(i can't find a thread about this)

i lost my sprint pcs phone a few weeks ago. on the day i lost it, on
my bill there are a bunch of calls to another country that i didn't
make. what is sprints policy on this?

since i reported it lost two days after i lost it - and the bill
didn't arrive till a couple days ago - i think it's pretty clear that
they should just not charge me for these calls.

but how suspicious are they? will they simply say "how do we know you
didn't make these calls and THEN lose your phone? how do we know you
even lost your phone at all?"

does anyone have experience with this situation? should i call exec
services instead of customer service?

thanks in adv.
April 17, 2004 5:41:42 PM

On 17 Apr 2004 10:26:48 -0700, jonstos@yahoo.com (jonstos) wrote:

>(i can't find a thread about this)
>
>i lost my sprint pcs phone a few weeks ago. on the day i lost it, on
>my bill there are a bunch of calls to another country that i didn't
>make. what is sprints policy on this?
>
>since i reported it lost two days after i lost it - and the bill
>didn't arrive till a couple days ago - i think it's pretty clear that
>they should just not charge me for these calls.
>
>but how suspicious are they? will they simply say "how do we know you
>didn't make these calls and THEN lose your phone? how do we know you
>even lost your phone at all?"
>
>does anyone have experience with this situation? should i call exec
>services instead of customer service?
>
>thanks in adv.

You'd have a better case if the calls were made the same day you
reported the phone lost. Since you waited, the calls were technically
made before you lost the phone.
April 17, 2004 6:33:20 PM

jonstos@yahoo.com (jonstos) wrote in message news:<57cba861.0404170926.513a3a0e@posting.google.com>...
> (i can't find a thread about this)
>
> i lost my sprint pcs phone a few weeks ago. on the day i lost it, on
> my bill there are a bunch of calls to another country that i didn't
> make. what is sprints policy on this?
>
> since i reported it lost two days after i lost it - and the bill
> didn't arrive till a couple days ago - i think it's pretty clear that
> they should just not charge me for these calls.
>
> but how suspicious are they? will they simply say "how do we know you
> didn't make these calls and THEN lose your phone? how do we know you
> even lost your phone at all?"
>
> does anyone have experience with this situation? should i call exec
> services instead of customer service?
>
> thanks in adv.

The policy is that you're not responsible for the calls AFTER you
reported it stolen, so if the calls were made before you reported it,
you're responsible.
Anonymous
April 18, 2004 5:12:24 PM

As others have posted, you are not responsible for any calls made
AFTER the phone was reported stolen to Sprint PCS. When my phone was
stolen, I reported it to Sprint PCS within a hour, while I was waiting
for the police to show up. I did not have International Calling enabled
on that phone. Domestic long distance was not part of my plan, but they
did not make any of those calls, and I was not near my included minutes
level, so my bill was not higher. Except for getting mugged in the
first place, I guess I lucked out in that instance. Even if I had not
been so fast in getting the service suspended, the extended battery, if
fully charged, would only have yielded 2.5 hours of talk time. If they
turned it off to save battery life, I had set it to lock and changed
from the default security code.
On a more positive note, maybe the call history can be used to
track down who they are for prosecution.

!