Sign in with
Your question

Powering my PC remotely via Ipod Touch connected to my Pc.

Last response: in Networking
February 19, 2013 6:46:23 PM

Hi there,,
I am a complete newbie to the forum and this maybe impossible but I was wondering if it could be done.. I use remote Desktop access alot for work but it seems a waste of power as for it to be effective I need to keep the computer on all the time.

I have an old Ipod Touch, First Generation that I never use.. I was wondering if it is possible to connect the Ipod Touch to my desktop computer via USB.. If when I finish work I put the computer in sleep mode and then if there is any way that I could access the IPOD via the wifi (which is always on in the building) and make the ipod send a signal to the computer to boot it back up..

I understand that this maybe a long shot but it would make my life so much easier.

Any help given would be much appreciated.
Many thanks
Paul
February 19, 2013 10:56:29 PM

The iPod is the least of your problems.

Before you can even consider WOL, your desktop has to support it over its wired connection (and yes, it must be WIRED, or else use a wireless ethernet bridge). This feature (if present) is typically configurable from the BIOS. You'll also need to enable WOL in Windows.

If you have all those pieces in place, you should be able to broadcast a WOL request within the LAN. But if the desktop is remote, you need to be able to penetrate your firewall to issue that same WOL broadcast. But since most routers don't permit broadcasts from the WAN to the LAN, you need a dd-wrt/tomato (third party firmware) capable router which will allow you to manipulate the firewall rules and allow that broadcast. Or perhaps use a VPN, or even use SSH, to place you inside the LAN and make the WOL broadcast.

The iPod only comes into play in the sense that ANY device capable of reaching the LAN, either locally or remotely, using the above methods, can be used. Another desktop, laptop, smartphone, etc., all are potential candidates since they all have browsers, can connect to a LAN, etc. IOW, the iPod is nothing special, just another option in a field of many.

So it’s doable, but it gets complicated. Before doing anything, determine if your desktop even supports WOL and can be awakened locally, before even considering remotely.
Related resources
!