Sign in with
Your question

Wifi connection detected but no internet

Last response: in Wireless Networking
December 31, 2012 12:34:02 PM

Hello,

I've just returned from the U.S. from being in Peru. While there I had internet which was set up by a technician. However, now that I'm back, my computer shows that it's conected to the wifi here, but I am unable to get internet access. Is there perhaps a setting that could have been changed while I was in Peru that is preventing me from getting internet access in the U.S.?
December 31, 2012 12:44:04 PM

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

Chances are your Peruvian tech altered settigs in Control Panel>Internet Options, perhaps to a dial up system or through a Proxy. Go in there and under the Connection tab, tick "Never dial a connection" and click Apply then click the LAN button and tick "Automatically detect settings" and untick anything in the Proxy section below that.

m
l
December 31, 2012 9:47:58 PM

What type of connection did you have while in Peru ? DSL or Cable internet ?
m
l
Related resources
January 1, 2013 8:19:15 PM

Thanks for your help Saga Lout. However, I tried, but my computer still won't gain access to the Internet. I'm not sure what the problem is because I was able to use this internet connection before I went to Peru. As you said, I believe the Peruvian technician changed something in the settings.

Inzone, it was DSL through the telephone company, but I used the router for wifi, never used the direct connection.

So, right now, I have to use the ethernet cable to get internet access which shuts everyone else out from using the internet when I'm on.
m
l
January 1, 2013 9:56:55 PM

Why does using an ethernet cable shut everyone out from using the internet ?
Do you have a modem connected to a wireless router ? Have you set up a wireless network ? The cable that you connect is it from the router or the modem ?
Perhaps a more detailed explanation of your set up will clear this up a little.
m
l
January 2, 2013 6:08:34 AM

Can you post the details of an ipconfig calll so we can see what's going on? Go from Start to Run in XP - or use the Windows key plus R in Vista and Windows 7 or 8, then type in the following into the Open box, including all the spaces:-

cmd /k ipconfig /all

then press Enter and right click anywhere from the black form that shows up and click on Select All. That places all the details into the clipboard and Control V will put it back here in a reply box.

m
l
!