Wifi connection detected but no internet

Hello,

I've just returned from the U.S. from being in Peru. While there I had internet which was set up by a technician. However, now that I'm back, my computer shows that it's conected to the wifi here, but I am unable to get internet access. Is there perhaps a setting that could have been changed while I was in Peru that is preventing me from getting internet access in the U.S.?
5 answers Last reply
More about wifi connection detected internet
  1. Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

Chances are your Peruvian tech altered settigs in Control Panel>Internet Options, perhaps to a dial up system or through a Proxy. Go in there and under the Connection tab, tick "Never dial a connection" and click Apply then click the LAN button and tick "Automatically detect settings" and untick anything in the Proxy section below that.
  2. What type of connection did you have while in Peru ? DSL or Cable internet ?
  3. Thanks for your help Saga Lout. However, I tried, but my computer still won't gain access to the Internet. I'm not sure what the problem is because I was able to use this internet connection before I went to Peru. As you said, I believe the Peruvian technician changed something in the settings.

Inzone, it was DSL through the telephone company, but I used the router for wifi, never used the direct connection.

So, right now, I have to use the ethernet cable to get internet access which shuts everyone else out from using the internet when I'm on.
  4. Why does using an ethernet cable shut everyone out from using the internet ?
    Do you have a modem connected to a wireless router ? Have you set up a wireless network ? The cable that you connect is it from the router or the modem ?
    Perhaps a more detailed explanation of your set up will clear this up a little.
  5. Can you post the details of an ipconfig calll so we can see what's going on? Go from Start to Run in XP - or use the Windows key plus R in Vista and Windows 7 or 8, then type in the following into the Open box, including all the spaces:-

cmd /k ipconfig /all

then press Enter and right click anywhere from the black form that shows up and click on Select All. That places all the details into the clipboard and Control V will put it back here in a reply box.
Ask a new question

Read More

Connectivity Internet Access Connection WiFi Internet Wireless Networking