Fate Preview

Not all that detailed, but I put a preview of the Fate demo up on my
gaming blog, for the one or two reading this who haven't downloaded it.
I'll probably buy the full version and then do a more in-depth review a
bit later on.

http://knightgames.blogspot.com/

I really think Fate is a good game for casual gamers. In fact I might
suggest to anyone that they let their non-gamer friends give it a try
to see if they get hooked. I bet my wife, who plays games rarely, will
like this one.

Knight37
41 answers Last reply
More about fate preview

    Walter wrote:
    > knight37m@gmail.com wrote:
    > > I really think Fate is a good game for casual gamers. In fact I might
    > > suggest to anyone that they let their non-gamer friends give it a try
    > > to see if they get hooked. I bet my wife, who plays games rarely, will
    > > like this one.
    >
    > You bet your wife? Wow... that's heavy stakes. Does she know?

    Shh. Don't tell her.

    knight37m@gmail.com wrote:
    > I really think Fate is a good game for casual gamers. In fact I might
    > suggest to anyone that they let their non-gamer friends give it a try
    > to see if they get hooked. I bet my wife, who plays games rarely, will
    > like this one.

    You bet your wife? Wow... that's heavy stakes. Does she know?

    Quote "One thing you should be aware of is that the registered game
    keys in on your hardware configuration and you are only allowed to
    install the game 3 times before you get locked out of it. Supposedly
    you can email WildTangent and get more installs, if you can provide
    proof of purchase I guess"

    Well that there will stop me trying or buying this game. Too bad, it
    sounded ok and i'd like to try it but that written above just stinks.
    If I buy the game I should be allowed to install it as may times as I
    need when I rebuild my PC. I rebuild about every 2 months to keep
    things fresh. Going buy there shitty protection system i'd get 6 months
    use before i'd have to buy another copy. LOL, stuff that.

    Hank.

    On 7 Jun 2005 10:39:17 -0700, knight37m@gmail.com wrote:

    > I really think Fate is a good game for casual gamers.

    It is also great for Nethack and Diablo fans. In fact, it's almost like
    crack for that audience. :) I picked up the full version yesterday and have
    been playing it for a quite a bit. It's definitely good fun, but it does
    require some rebalancing still. For instance, my level 1 character was
    fishing in the starter town and pulled up items that sold for 1,800,000
    gold in fifteen minutes, which felt much like an exploit. Pure casters,
    except summoners, seem much weaker than melee characters, and pure archers
    don't appear to be viable at all. The fishing and magic issues will be
    addressed in a patch that's expected to come out later this week, though,
    so they are actively balancing the game. For twenty bucks, this is almost a
    must-buy for fans of the genre (not like we get much new stuff), in spite
    of the WT and DRM issues.

    I don't think they expected so many hardcore gamers getting attracted by
    the title.

    M.
    --
    ClamWin, an open source antivirus software for Windows:
    http://www.clamwin.com/

    "Michael Vondung" <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > On 7 Jun 2005 10:39:17 -0700, knight37m@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> I really think Fate is a good game for casual gamers.
    >
    > It is also great for Nethack and Diablo fans. In fact, it's almost like
    > crack for that audience. :) I picked up the full version yesterday and
    > have
    > been playing it for a quite a bit. It's definitely good fun, but it does
    > require some rebalancing still. For instance, my level 1 character was
    > fishing in the starter town and pulled up items that sold for 1,800,000
    > gold in fifteen minutes, which felt much like an exploit. Pure casters,
    > except summoners, seem much weaker than melee characters, and pure archers
    > don't appear to be viable at all. The fishing and magic issues will be
    > addressed in a patch that's expected to come out later this week, though,
    > so they are actively balancing the game. For twenty bucks, this is almost
    > must-buy for fans of the genre (not like we get much new stuff), in spite
    > of the WT and DRM issues.
    >
    > I don't think they expected so many hardcore gamers getting attracted by
    > the title.
    >
    > M.
    > --
    > ClamWin, an open source antivirus software for Windows:
    > http://www.clamwin.com/

    And, of course, hardcore gamers are the only ones likely to know about and
    be put off by the WT adware issue. The install limitations (i.e., one pc
    only), while maybe reasonable from the developer/publisher's perspective,
    also do not gladden my heart.

    "Hank" <admin@cellsounds.co.nz> once tried to test me with:

    > Quote "One thing you should be aware of is that the registered game
    > keys in on your hardware configuration and you are only allowed to
    > install the game 3 times before you get locked out of it. Supposedly
    > you can email WildTangent and get more installs, if you can provide
    > proof of purchase I guess"
    >
    > Well that there will stop me trying or buying this game. Too bad, it
    > sounded ok and i'd like to try it but that written above just stinks.
    > If I buy the game I should be allowed to install it as may times as I
    > need when I rebuild my PC. I rebuild about every 2 months to keep
    > things fresh. Going buy there shitty protection system i'd get 6 months
    > use before i'd have to buy another copy. LOL, stuff that.

    You wouldn't have to buy another copy, but you would have to go through the
    hassle of proving you owned it to a wild-tangent rep so they could unlock
    another 3 installs for you.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

    "Knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Hank" <admin@cellsounds.co.nz> once tried to test me with:
    >
    >> Quote "One thing you should be aware of is that the registered game
    >> keys in on your hardware configuration and you are only allowed to
    >> install the game 3 times before you get locked out of it. Supposedly
    >> you can email WildTangent and get more installs, if you can provide
    >> proof of purchase I guess"
    >>
    >> Well that there will stop me trying or buying this game. Too bad, it
    >> sounded ok and i'd like to try it but that written above just stinks.
    >> If I buy the game I should be allowed to install it as may times as I
    >> need when I rebuild my PC. I rebuild about every 2 months to keep
    >> things fresh. Going buy there shitty protection system i'd get 6 months
    >> use before i'd have to buy another copy. LOL, stuff that.
    >>

    > You wouldn't have to buy another copy, but you would have to go through
    > the
    > hassle of proving you owned it to a wild-tangent rep so they could unlock
    > another 3 installs for you.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Knight37 - http://knightgames.blogspot.com
    >
    > Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

    And down the road when "Fate" becomes an "oldie but goodie" and Wild Tangent
    no longer exits......who'll unlock it for us then? Of course, someone will
    have probably hacked off the need for the unlock code by then.....or maybe
    by next week. :)

    This is where pc games are going (if they're going anywhere that is).
    Publishers are now enforcing one install per game per machine via unlock
    codes sent by servers. Used to be this was just an mp issue, but now it's
    sp too. I can see why they do it, especially with downloadable games (tho'
    the CD-version of "Fate" installs identically to the dl version). But it
    sure helps drive home to me that I'm just paying to use a game under certain
    specific, enforceable conditions spelled out in the EULA. I may own my
    harddrive and my game CD's but I don't own what's on them.....unless I
    created it. I can take it or leave it. But if I decide to "leave it," it
    means leaving pc gaming.....or stealing games.

    Stealing games (or, at least, using them in ways not intended by the
    publishers)? Well, I guess that what a lot of use have been doing for
    years, when we installed the same copy of a game on numerous pc's or when we
    employed various creative ways to circumvent the EULA. The warez guys just
    take it all the way and plain, out and out. steal the game, period. Bottom
    line: for those of us who don't want to steal, I guess were just going to
    have to get used to this.....or take up bird-watching (lots of fun, by the
    way).

    DocScorpio wrote:
    > I guess were just going to have to get used to this.....or take up
    > bird-watching (lots of fun, by the way).

    Is there a demo out? I've been deer hunting lately and having a blast
    (cheap too, $10 from gamestop)

    "DocScorpio" <docscorpio@strupra-spammeros.com> once tried to test me
    with:

    > "Knight37" <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> "Hank" <admin@cellsounds.co.nz> once tried to test me with:
    >>
    >>> Quote "One thing you should be aware of is that the registered game
    >>> keys in on your hardware configuration and you are only allowed to
    >>> install the game 3 times before you get locked out of it. Supposedly
    >>> you can email WildTangent and get more installs, if you can provide
    >>> proof of purchase I guess"
    >>>
    >>> Well that there will stop me trying or buying this game. Too bad, it
    >>> sounded ok and i'd like to try it but that written above just
    >>> stinks. If I buy the game I should be allowed to install it as may
    >>> times as I need when I rebuild my PC. I rebuild about every 2 months
    >>> to keep things fresh. Going buy there shitty protection system i'd
    >>> get 6 months use before i'd have to buy another copy. LOL, stuff
    >>> that.
    >>>

    >> You wouldn't have to buy another copy, but you would have to go
    >> through the
    >> hassle of proving you owned it to a wild-tangent rep so they could
    >> unlock another 3 installs for you.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Knight37 - http://knightgames.blogspot.com
    >>
    >> Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
    >>

    > And down the road when "Fate" becomes an "oldie but goodie" and Wild
    > Tangent no longer exits......who'll unlock it for us then? Of course,
    > someone will have probably hacked off the need for the unlock code by
    > then.....or maybe by next week. :)

    Presumably their last act of goodwill before financial ruin will be to
    release a patch to make the game have no limit installs. :)

    But yeah, a hack is probable as well.

    > This is where pc games are going (if they're going anywhere that is).
    > Publishers are now enforcing one install per game per machine via
    > unlock codes sent by servers. Used to be this was just an mp issue,
    > but now it's sp too. I can see why they do it, especially with
    > downloadable games (tho' the CD-version of "Fate" installs identically
    > to the dl version). But it sure helps drive home to me that I'm just
    > paying to use a game under certain specific, enforceable conditions
    > spelled out in the EULA. I may own my harddrive and my game CD's but
    > I don't own what's on them.....unless I created it. I can take it or
    > leave it. But if I decide to "leave it," it means leaving pc
    > gaming.....or stealing games.

    I don't personally have a problem with this. It's an inconvenience, but to
    me it's less inconvenient than having to insert a CD. Unless, of course, I
    can't play the game AT ALL without a net connection. That could be a
    problem if my internet went down and I couldn't play any games. Most games
    like this though so far work offline.

    > Stealing games (or, at least, using them in ways not intended by the
    > publishers)? Well, I guess that what a lot of use have been doing for
    > years, when we installed the same copy of a game on numerous pc's or
    > when we employed various creative ways to circumvent the EULA. The
    > warez guys just take it all the way and plain, out and out. steal the
    > game, period. Bottom line: for those of us who don't want to steal,

    I wouldn't consider it stealing to download a hack to play a game I paid
    for in an offline mode.

    > I guess were just going to have to get used to this.....or take up
    > bird-watching (lots of fun, by the way).

    As long as the birds are the ones with hourglass figures, I'm game.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 7 Jun 2005 15:37:48 -0700, Hank wrote:

    > Going buy there shitty protection system i'd get 6 months
    > use before i'd have to buy another copy. LOL, stuff that.

    You can backup your license file. It's in a folder names LicenseStores.
    Only time you have to unlock it again is when you install it on different
    hardware, not if it remains on the same computer (can use the backuped
    license file then). They'll add charges to your key if you ask them to --
    apparently with "no questions asked".

    Yes, I don't know what will be somewhere a few years down the road, but the
    game is under twenty bucks, and you're likely to get a few hundreds of
    hours of entertainment out of it in the next few years when WT is likely to
    be around. And who knows, if they ever cease support, they may just a
    general unlocking patch., I don't care for the system, but I pay 15 bucks
    for WoW a month and I know that I lose everything the moment I cancel my
    subscription. That's infinitely worse. :p

    According to the developer you can remove the WT stuff after unlocking the
    game:

    "for the regedit savvy -

    Run regedit.exe

    Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->Software->Microsoft->Windows->Run

    Delete any keys that have anything to do with Wildtangent

    No more background anything, no matter what.... Game should still run fine
    though."

    (Haven't tried that, just citing.)

    M.
    --
    ClamWin, an open source antivirus software for Windows:
    http://www.clamwin.com/
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 20:50:51 +0200, Michael Vondung
    <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote:

    >On 7 Jun 2005 10:39:17 -0700, knight37m@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> I really think Fate is a good game for casual gamers.
    >
    >It is also great for Nethack and Diablo fans. In fact, it's almost like
    >crack for that audience. :) I picked up the full version yesterday and have
    >been playing it for a quite a bit. It's definitely good fun, but it does
    >require some rebalancing still. For instance, my level 1 character was
    >fishing in the starter town and pulled up items that sold for 1,800,000
    >gold in fifteen minutes, which felt much like an exploit. Pure casters,
    >except summoners, seem much weaker than melee characters, and pure archers
    >don't appear to be viable at all. The fishing and magic issues will be
    >addressed in a patch that's expected to come out later this week, though,
    >so they are actively balancing the game. For twenty bucks, this is almost a
    >must-buy for fans of the genre (not like we get much new stuff), in spite
    >of the WT and DRM issues.
    >
    >I don't think they expected so many hardcore gamers getting attracted by
    >the title.
    >
    >M.
    >--
    >ClamWin, an open source antivirus software for Windows:
    >http://www.clamwin.com/

    I had done some reading and it seems that the archers are using
    summoning and usuing items that add knockback. I started a
    dual-wielder and then I fished out a great bow but couldn't decide if
    I wanted an archer or a dual-wielder...that bow was really nice so I
    started leaning that way :) This build better work!

    I think that maybe the fishing exploit is there to draw in new and
    casual players. Besides, it *is* nice to fish, sell, then squander it
    by gambling and enchanting it all away. Good grief, I spent soooo
    many hours doing that in Diablo 2...it was a relief when I finally
    sought help...I mean, quit playing *g*

    My dog, Bob, looked great as a Dire Unicorn.

    Celeste

    "Born to Rune" - T. Prachett
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Not all that detailed, but I put a preview of the Fate demo up on my
    >gaming blog, for the one or two reading this who haven't downloaded it.
    >I'll probably buy the full version and then do a more in-depth review a
    >bit later on.
    >
    >http://knightgames.blogspot.com/
    >
    >I really think Fate is a good game for casual gamers. In fact I might
    >suggest to anyone that they let their non-gamer friends give it a try
    >to see if they get hooked. I bet my wife, who plays games rarely, will
    >like this one.
    >
    >Knight37

    One of the developers, Travis, also hangs out in the Fate forums and
    at http://www.quartertothree.com/. He does listen to suggestions and
    provides feedback.

    Celeste
    "Born to Rune" - T. Prachett
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > "DocScorpio" <docscorpio@strupra-spammeros.com> once tried to test me
    > with:

    [snip]
    >> And down the road when "Fate" becomes an "oldie but goodie" and Wild
    >> Tangent no longer exits......who'll unlock it for us then? Of course,
    >> someone will have probably hacked off the need for the unlock code by
    >> then.....or maybe by next week. :)
    >
    > Presumably their last act of goodwill before financial ruin will be to
    > release a patch to make the game have no limit installs. :)
    >
    > But yeah, a hack is probable as well.

    That's another problem, I've commented on previously: No-CD hacks don't
    seem to be as plentiful for new games..at least the one's I'm playing. The
    latest versions of DOW, Kohan II and SHIII, which have been out for week
    and, for Kohan, months have no updated hacks (at least, last time I checked
    a couple of days ago).

    [snip]

    > I don't personally have a problem with this. It's an inconvenience, but to
    > me it's less inconvenient than having to insert a CD.

    Good point. And, if hacks are disappearing (my latest obsession), it'll
    solve that problem.

    [snip]

    > I wouldn't consider it stealing to download a hack to play a game I paid
    > for in an offline mode.

    I admit to overstating the issue a bit. Nevertheless, even though we buy a
    copy of a game, along with permission to use it in accordance with the EULA
    (which we agree to when we install it), we frequently do things with that
    copy which are contrary to the EULA, i.e., installing on multiple pc's,
    modifying or replacing files to defeat the CD checks, etc. Now, if I
    install a legally purchased copy of Doom 3 on my pc and use the same CD's to
    install it with a no-cd hack on another pc, have I not violated the EULA
    and, in effect, "stolen" a copy of Doom 3? I have effectively gotten
    something for nothing at Id's expense.

    >> I guess were just going to have to get used to this.....or take up
    >> bird-watching (lots of fun, by the way).
    >
    > As long as the birds are the ones with hourglass figures, I'm game.

    At my age, the only hourglass that concerns me is the one held by the grim
    reaper. Well, maybe that's not completely true. :)

    Enough ranting. Time to return to my "Fate." Very fun game, BTW.

    > Knight37 - http://knightgames.blogspot.com
    >
    > Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "DocScorpio" <docscorpio@strupra-spammeros.com> once tried to test me
    with:

    > I admit to overstating the issue a bit. Nevertheless, even though we
    > buy a copy of a game, along with permission to use it in accordance
    > with the EULA (which we agree to when we install it), we frequently do
    > things with that copy which are contrary to the EULA, i.e., installing
    > on multiple pc's, modifying or replacing files to defeat the CD
    > checks, etc. Now, if I install a legally purchased copy of Doom 3 on
    > my pc and use the same CD's to install it with a no-cd hack on another
    > pc, have I not violated the EULA and, in effect, "stolen" a copy of
    > Doom 3? I have effectively gotten something for nothing at Id's
    > expense.

    It depends. Is this your buddy's PC? And is he playing it while you're at
    home playing your "copy"? Then yeah, you're stealing. But lets take a
    different example. Say you have a laptop, and you install the game and nocd
    hack to the laptop. Now you can play the game when you're on the road
    without risking damaging the CD, and when you're at home on your desktop.
    Is that stealing? IMHO, nope.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > "DocScorpio" <docscorpio@strupra-spammeros.com> once tried to test me
    > with:
    >
    >> I admit to overstating the issue a bit. Nevertheless, even though we
    >> buy a copy of a game, along with permission to use it in accordance
    >> with the EULA (which we agree to when we install it), we frequently do
    >> things with that copy which are contrary to the EULA, i.e., installing
    >> on multiple pc's, modifying or replacing files to defeat the CD
    >> checks, etc. Now, if I install a legally purchased copy of Doom 3 on
    >> my pc and use the same CD's to install it with a no-cd hack on another
    >> pc, have I not violated the EULA and, in effect, "stolen" a copy of
    >> Doom 3? I have effectively gotten something for nothing at Id's
    >> expense.
    >
    > It depends. Is this your buddy's PC? And is he playing it while you're at
    > home playing your "copy"? Then yeah, you're stealing. But lets take a
    > different example. Say you have a laptop, and you install the game and
    > nocd
    > hack to the laptop. Now you can play the game when you're on the road
    > without risking damaging the CD, and when you're at home on your desktop.
    > Is that stealing? IMHO, nope.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Knight37 - http://knightgames.blogspot.com
    >
    > Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

    Good point, but doesn't that sort of leave it up to individual customers to
    decide when they're stealing the game or not. For example, many gamers
    might not consider it stealing, if they use a hack so that they and a family
    member can play the same game at the same time....even thought they
    purchased only one copy of the game. I agree that in your laptop example,
    the publisher takes no harm from the customer subverting the publisher's
    intent that the game run only with the CD. We need a lawyer, like Bunboy
    (whatever happened to him, anyway?) to clarify this issue.

    Enough of this, I want to get back to Fate. What a sweet game. It's going
    to keep me up all night for sure. Glad I bought it.
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "BuckFush" <notmyre@laddress.com> looked up from reading the entrails of

    >DocScorpio wrote:
    >> I guess were just going to have to get used to this.....or take up
    >> bird-watching (lots of fun, by the way).
    >
    >Is there a demo out? I've been deer hunting lately and having a blast
    >(cheap too, $10 from gamestop)

    http://www.fatethegame.com/playgame.html

    The demo IS the game, but you can only play the first 3 levels of the
    dungeon and your character cannot level beyond 6 (can't assign the
    points you get at level 7, nor any other points gained after that
    point.)

    Xocyll
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 2005-06-08, Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:

    > It depends. Is this your buddy's PC? And is he playing it while you're at
    > home playing your "copy"? Then yeah, you're stealing.

    What did he steal? Think very carefully about these things before
    you make claims like this. Even the rabid record companies do
    _not_ regard sharing music with your neighbour as stealing and
    their reps have said this repeatedly in interviews.
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 8 Jun 2005 04:04:46 GMT, Knight37 wrote:

    > Then yeah, you're stealing.

    Doesn't stealing imply that an object changed hands? If I give you a copy
    of my game, I still have my copy, and the company in the example still has
    the source code and can continue to sell as many copies as their heart
    desires.

    M.
    --
    ClamWin, an open source antivirus software for Windows:
    http://www.clamwin.com/
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 2005-06-08, Michael Vondung <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote:
    > On 8 Jun 2005 04:04:46 GMT, Knight37 wrote:
    >
    >> Then yeah, you're stealing.
    >
    > Doesn't stealing imply that an object changed hands? If I give you a copy
    > of my game, I still have my copy, and the company in the example still has
    > the source code and can continue to sell as many copies as their heart
    > desires.

    I'm sure he also thinks picking up the newspaper in the subway
    after someone left it there is stealing too.

    Any medium which can be shared easily will necessarily be shared
    to some extent and when society does so in mass it becomes a
    right. Afterall intellectual property law is a social contract
    meant to protect the same members of society who benefit from
    sharing intellectual property.

    Incidently I hear that libraries in the US will start carrying
    computer games. I guess that's stealing too.
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thus spake Michael Vondung <mvondung@gmail.com>, Wed, 8 Jun 2005 02:10:17
    +0200, Anno Domini:

    >On 7 Jun 2005 15:37:48 -0700, Hank wrote:
    >
    >> Going buy there shitty protection system i'd get 6 months
    >> use before i'd have to buy another copy. LOL, stuff that.
    >
    >You can backup your license file. It's in a folder names LicenseStores.
    >Only time you have to unlock it again is when you install it on different
    >hardware, not if it remains on the same computer (can use the backuped
    >license file then). They'll add charges to your key if you ask them to --
    >apparently with "no questions asked".
    >
    >Yes, I don't know what will be somewhere a few years down the road, but the
    >game is under twenty bucks, and you're likely to get a few hundreds of
    >hours of entertainment out of it in the next few years when WT is likely to
    >be around. And who knows, if they ever cease support, they may just a
    >general unlocking patch., I don't care for the system, but I pay 15 bucks
    >for WoW a month and I know that I lose everything the moment I cancel my
    >subscription. That's infinitely worse. :p

    Agreed 100%!

    >According to the developer you can remove the WT stuff after unlocking the
    >game:
    >
    >"for the regedit savvy -
    >
    >Run regedit.exe
    >
    >Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->Software->Microsoft->Windows->Run

    Can't find that exact key on my machine MVD - you haven't misquoted
    perchance? URL pls?

    --
    A killfile is a friend for life.

  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> looked up from reading the entrails
    of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

    >Thus spake Michael Vondung <mvondung@gmail.com>, Wed, 8 Jun 2005 02:10:17
    >+0200, Anno Domini:
    >
    >>On 7 Jun 2005 15:37:48 -0700, Hank wrote:
    >>
    >>> Going buy there shitty protection system i'd get 6 months
    >>> use before i'd have to buy another copy. LOL, stuff that.
    >>
    >>You can backup your license file. It's in a folder names LicenseStores.
    >>Only time you have to unlock it again is when you install it on different
    >>hardware, not if it remains on the same computer (can use the backuped
    >>license file then). They'll add charges to your key if you ask them to --
    >>apparently with "no questions asked".
    >>
    >>Yes, I don't know what will be somewhere a few years down the road, but the
    >>game is under twenty bucks, and you're likely to get a few hundreds of
    >>hours of entertainment out of it in the next few years when WT is likely to
    >>be around. And who knows, if they ever cease support, they may just a
    >>general unlocking patch., I don't care for the system, but I pay 15 bucks
    >>for WoW a month and I know that I lose everything the moment I cancel my
    >>subscription. That's infinitely worse. :p
    >
    >Agreed 100%!
    >
    >>According to the developer you can remove the WT stuff after unlocking the
    >>game:
    >>
    >>"for the regedit savvy -
    >>
    >>Run regedit.exe
    >>
    >>Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->Software->Microsoft->Windows->Run
    >
    >Can't find that exact key on my machine MVD - you haven't misquoted
    >perchance? URL pls?

    He missed one bit, "current version"
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    Software
    Microsoft
    Windows
    CurrentVersion
    Run

    Key called "Wildtangent CDA"

    >>Delete any keys that have anything to do with Wildtangent
    >>
    >>No more background anything, no matter what.... Game should still run fine
    >>though."
    >>
    >>(Haven't tried that, just citing.)

    I have, since I remove startup type keys routinely for apps that stick
    them in but never asked about it, it works just fine with the demo
    version. Since the registered version is just the demo with the locks
    opened, it should work just fine there too.

    Xocyll
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote:

    >For instance, my level 1 character was
    >fishing in the starter town and pulled up items that sold for 1,800,000

    You were very, very lucky. :D

    I've spent quite a while fishing, and found only 2 items that would
    sell for over 1 million.

    And what's with all the carrots ?
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Mark Morrison" <drdpikeuk@aol.com> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 20:50:51 +0200, Michael Vondung
    > <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>For instance, my level 1 character was
    >>fishing in the starter town and pulled up items that sold for 1,800,000
    >
    > You were very, very lucky. :D
    >
    > I've spent quite a while fishing, and found only 2 items that would
    > sell for over 1 million.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes !
    > They got them hoppy legs and twitchy little noses !
    > And what's with all the carrots ?
    > What do they need such good eyesight for anyway ?
    > Bunnies ! Bunnies ! It must be BUNNIES !

    I fished for 5 minutes just after starting the game and snagged a magic axe
    worth about 250K GP. This was a great find because after I leveled a couple
    of time, I was able to equip it. I'm now dual-wielding it and another,
    lesser magic axe (also acquired by fishing) and am on dungeon level 6 where
    I'm largely unstoppable.
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Xocyll wrote:
    > "BuckFush" <notmyre@laddress.com>
    >
    >> DocScorpio wrote:
    >>> I guess were just going to have to get used to this.....or take up
    >>> bird-watching (lots of fun, by the way).
    >>
    >> Is there a demo out? I've been deer hunting lately and having a
    >> blast (cheap too, $10 from gamestop)
    >>
    > http://www.fatethegame.com/playgame.html
    >
    > The demo IS the game, but you can only play the first 3 levels of the
    > dungeon and your character cannot level beyond 6 (can't assign the
    > points you get at level 7, nor any other points gained after that
    > point.)

    No, I was referring to the bird-watching game demo.

    Oh wait... don't tell me you meant like, analog birds and stuff?
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> looked up from reading the entrails of

    >On 2005-06-08, Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> It depends. Is this your buddy's PC? And is he playing it while you're at
    >> home playing your "copy"? Then yeah, you're stealing.
    >
    >What did he steal? Think very carefully about these things before
    >you make claims like this. Even the rabid record companies do
    >_not_ regard sharing music with your neighbour as stealing and
    >their reps have said this repeatedly in interviews.

    You have links to record companies saying that making a copy of an album
    and giving it to someone else is OK?

    Not loaning your album, copying it for someone else to listen to while
    you still have it.

    Xocyll
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com> looked up from reading the entrails of

    >On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 20:50:51 +0200, Michael Vondung
    ><mvondung@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>For instance, my level 1 character was
    >>fishing in the starter town and pulled up items that sold for 1,800,000
    >
    >You were very, very lucky. :D
    >
    >I've spent quite a while fishing, and found only 2 items that would
    >sell for over 1 million.

    It happens though.

    First character made, level 2 dungeon I find a fate statue and pry the
    gems loose.
    I got 2 pearls, that boost gold drops by 20% and magic find by 40% and
    would sell for something like 1.9 million each.

    Stupidly I didn't sell them but kept them till i had gear with sockets -
    must be that diablo2 magic find thing rearing it's ugly head.

    I would probably have been much better off selling them and buying the
    nice gear rather than hoping to get good drops in the limited levels the
    demo allows.

    Xocyll
  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thus spake Michael Vondung <mvondung@gmail.com>, Wed, 8 Jun 2005 15:58:57
    +0200, Anno Domini:

    >On 8 Jun 2005 04:04:46 GMT, Knight37 wrote:
    >
    >> Then yeah, you're stealing.
    >
    >Doesn't stealing imply that an object changed hands? If I give you a copy
    >of my game, I still have my copy, and the company in the example still has
    >the source code and can continue to sell as many copies as their heart
    >desires.

    Technically (& strictly speaking) it's copyright infringement, of course,
    which might get you more fines/jail time for the amount 'stolen' than
    actually stealing it from a store. Go figure?

    --
    A killfile is a friend for life.

  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thus spake Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>, Wed, 08 Jun 2005 08:00:04 -0400,
    Anno Domini:

    Cool! Tx X! ;-)

    --
    A killfile is a friend for life.

  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    In article <2bmfa1t8069vudnfn51k7ju8jvbj2baqcu@4ax.com>, Xocyll wrote:
    > shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> looked up from reading the entrails of
    > the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
    >>On 2005-06-08, Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:
    >>> It depends. Is this your buddy's PC? And is he playing it while you're at
    >>> home playing your "copy"? Then yeah, you're stealing.
    >>What did he steal? Think very carefully about these things before
    >>you make claims like this. Even the rabid record companies do
    >>_not_ regard sharing music with your neighbour as stealing and
    >>their reps have said this repeatedly in interviews.
    > You have links to record companies saying that making a copy of an album
    > and giving it to someone else is OK?

    He didn't say it was ok, he said it wasn't stealing. It isn't.
  30. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Paul Murray wrote:

    > In article <2bmfa1t8069vudnfn51k7ju8jvbj2baqcu@4ax.com>, Xocyll wrote:
    >
    >>shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> looked up from reading the entrails of
    >>the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

    >>>What did he steal? Think very carefully about these things before
    >>>you make claims like this. Even the rabid record companies do
    >>>_not_ regard sharing music with your neighbour as stealing and
    >>>their reps have said this repeatedly in interviews.
    >>
    >>You have links to record companies saying that making a copy of an album
    >>and giving it to someone else is OK?
    >

    > He didn't say it was ok, he said it wasn't stealing. It isn't.

    Wait...backup. So let me get this straight....

    The argument is that if I burn a CD for someone and give it to them it
    isn't stealing?
  31. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    In article <qhmfa1pba70hf1u2ndb9a47v3d2o66e8cq@4ax.com>,
    Xocyll@kingston.net says...
    > Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com> looked up from reading the entrails of
    > the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

    > >I've spent quite a while fishing, and found only 2 items that would
    > >sell for over 1 million.
    >
    > It happens though.
    >
    > First character made, level 2 dungeon I find a fate statue and pry the
    > gems loose.
    > I got 2 pearls, that boost gold drops by 20% and magic find by 40% and
    > would sell for something like 1.9 million each.

    It certainly has a different concept of balance compared to most games.
    Not just fishing but general loot drops. For an experienced tactical
    player, this may take something from it - where are the tactics at low
    levels? For others, it may be more fun!

    Not quite enough there for me to buy it, I think, but I enjoyed the
    demo.

    - Gerry Quinn
  32. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    In article <UamdnSvNWY9OwzXfRVn-3Q@comcast.com>, James Garvin wrote:
    > Paul Murray wrote:
    >> In article <2bmfa1t8069vudnfn51k7ju8jvbj2baqcu@4ax.com>, Xocyll wrote:
    >>>shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> looked up from reading the entrails of
    >>>the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
    >>>You have links to record companies saying that making a copy of an album
    >>>and giving it to someone else is OK?
    >> He didn't say it was ok, he said it wasn't stealing. It isn't.
    >
    > Wait...backup. So let me get this straight....
    >
    > The argument is that if I burn a CD for someone and give it to them it
    > isn't stealing?

    No, stealing relates to violating someone's physical property rights.
    That would be violating their intellectual property rights.
    Still wrong, but not theft or stealing.
  33. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Paul Murray wrote:
    > In article <UamdnSvNWY9OwzXfRVn-3Q@comcast.com>, James Garvin wrote:
    >
    >>Paul Murray wrote:

    >>>He didn't say it was ok, he said it wasn't stealing. It isn't.
    >>
    >>Wait...backup. So let me get this straight....
    >>
    >>The argument is that if I burn a CD for someone and give it to them it
    >>isn't stealing?
    >

    > No, stealing relates to violating someone's physical property rights.
    > That would be violating their intellectual property rights.
    > Still wrong, but not theft or stealing.

    Trogdor will asplode your world!
  34. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Paul Murray wrote:
    >> Wait...backup. So let me get this straight....
    >>
    >> The argument is that if I burn a CD for someone and give it to them
    >> it isn't stealing?
    >
    > No, stealing relates to violating someone's physical property rights.
    > That would be violating their intellectual property rights.
    > Still wrong, but not theft or stealing.

    Here we go again . . .
    --
    chainbreaker
  35. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    chainbreaker wrote:
    > Paul Murray wrote:
    >>> Wait...backup. So let me get this straight....
    >>>
    >>> The argument is that if I burn a CD for someone and give it to them
    >>> it isn't stealing?
    >>
    >> No, stealing relates to violating someone's physical property rights.
    >> That would be violating their intellectual property rights.
    >> Still wrong, but not theft or stealing.
    >
    > Here we go again . . .

    Oh come on, you know you love these sort of threads :)

    --
    Remove the mess to reply.
  36. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 2005-06-09, Paul Murray <paul@murray.net> wrote:
    > In article <2bmfa1t8069vudnfn51k7ju8jvbj2baqcu@4ax.com>, Xocyll wrote:
    >> shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> looked up from reading the entrails of
    >> the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
    >>>What did he steal? Think very carefully about these things before
    >>>you make claims like this. Even the rabid record companies do
    >>>_not_ regard sharing music with your neighbour as stealing and
    >>>their reps have said this repeatedly in interviews.
    >> You have links to record companies saying that making a copy of an album
    >> and giving it to someone else is OK?
    >
    > He didn't say it was ok, he said it wasn't stealing. It isn't.

    I have Xocyll killfield for stupidity but I figured I'd follow up
    to a follow up.

    If you lookup some interviews with the MPAA you'll see it's
    perfectly OK for people to make copies for their friends. In fact
    the record companies encourage it. The record companies don't
    want you to mass distribute it via p2p. That's a huge difference.

    There's a growing number of brainwashed sheep who think sharing
    any media is "stealing." Intellectual property laws in many
    countries including the US and Canada have never been in place to
    stop casual sharing.

    This could change though if everyone begins to believe it is
    stealing and then happily encourages the creation of laws that
    would make such an act unlawful. Our libraries will be shutdown,
    DRM will be government controlled, and you'll be paying everytime
    you decide to play a track off a record.
  37. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Nostromo wrote:
    > More important question: either of you OBs playing Fate yet???

    No. My game time has been/will be pretty limited for a while.

    --
    chainbreaker
  38. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Paul Murray" <paul@murray.net> wrote in message
    > In article <UamdnSvNWY9OwzXfRVn-3Q@comcast.com>, James Garvin wrote:
    >> Paul Murray wrote:
    >> Wait...backup. So let me get this straight....
    >>
    >> The argument is that if I burn a CD for someone and give it to them it
    >> isn't stealing?
    >
    > No, stealing relates to violating someone's physical property rights.
    > That would be violating their intellectual property rights.
    > Still wrong, but not theft or stealing.

    No. Stealing is to take (the property of another) without right or
    permission. There is no distinction between physical and intellectual
    property. Look it up next time.
  39. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 12:34:56 GMT, "Phil" <phil@wherever.com> wrote:

    >"Paul Murray" <paul@murray.net> wrote in message
    >> In article <UamdnSvNWY9OwzXfRVn-3Q@comcast.com>, James Garvin wrote:
    >>> Paul Murray wrote:
    >>> Wait...backup. So let me get this straight....
    >>>
    >>> The argument is that if I burn a CD for someone and give it to them it
    >>> isn't stealing?
    >>
    >> No, stealing relates to violating someone's physical property rights.
    >> That would be violating their intellectual property rights.
    >> Still wrong, but not theft or stealing.
    >
    >No. Stealing is to take (the property of another) without right or
    >permission. There is no distinction between physical and intellectual
    >property. Look it up next time.

    If you make a copy it somehow magically removes the property from the
    owner, see? Simple.

    Copying isn't taking, it isn't even borrowing. It's copying.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    Thusly "Phil" <phil@wherever.com> Spake Unto All:

    >> No, stealing relates to violating someone's physical property rights.
    >> That would be violating their intellectual property rights.
    >> Still wrong, but not theft or stealing.
    >
    >No. Stealing is to take (the property of another) without right or
    >permission. There is no distinction between physical and intellectual
    >property. Look it up next time.

    Ah, the napster-old "is copyright violation stealing" debate. I don't
    think it's going to be resolved now either.

    "We also found that for university students, total time spent in the recent past
    on video games has a potential detrimental effect on grades."
    -- Anderson & Dill makes a Discovery, in 'Video Games and Aggressive Thoughts,
    Feelings, and Behavior in the Laboratory and in Life'. 2004.
  41. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    I wonder if there is a way to purchase this game without having to
    give my credit card number and e-mail address to WildTangent? I am
    not keen on giving them such information given their apparent
    reputation.

    But I do like the demo (even though it attempted to install something
    called 'spy protector' on my PC during the install process).

PC gaming Games Video Games