World of Warcraft: really WOW or all hype?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

I enjoy playing Warcraft3 but still haven't seen World of Warcraft,
because it hasn't been released in the UK yet.

Is World of Warcraft as good as the review say or is it all hype?

While we are waiting can anyone recommend any other (free) online
multi-user role-play/strategy games?

Geoff
18 answers Last reply
More about world warcraft hype
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    It depends, it's nothing at all what Warcraft 3 is about. The 2 games
    only share the background universe, gamewise are as different as night
    and day.
    If you have never played a MMORPG then the only way to see if you like
    it or not is playing one. Otherwise it's kind of like explaining how
    the color 'red' is to a blind guy.
    If you have played other MMORPGs then mention them so I can give you a
    comparison point of view.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 8 Jun 2005 06:07:58 -0700, geoffkemp05@yahoo.com wrote:

    >I enjoy playing Warcraft3 but still haven't seen World of Warcraft,
    >because it hasn't been released in the UK yet.
    >
    >Is World of Warcraft as good as the review say or is it all hype?

    WoW was released a while ago in the UK, and is in stock most places at
    the moment. www.play.com have it for £24.99.

    It is indeed a very fun and addictive game, although I found my
    interest waning after three months or so. This may be due to the fact
    that I was on a US server and found getting groups to be very
    difficult. But if you like MMORPGs, you should definitely try WoW.

    Isabelle
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 8 Jun 2005 06:07:58 -0700, geoffkemp05@yahoo.com wrote:

    >I enjoy playing Warcraft3 but still haven't seen World of Warcraft,
    >because it hasn't been released in the UK yet.

    Sure it has.

    >Is World of Warcraft as good as the review say or is it all hype?

    I gave WoW a glowing review in this newsgroup back during the first
    beta test. I really really liked it. I felt the same way about the
    game when it hit retail. I started getting bored after three months,
    and after four I moved on.

    -->WoW was the most fun I ever had in any game, single or multi, while
    it lasted. <--

    But longevity (as far as MMOGs go) it does not have. But this may be
    because, in my case, I do not care much for PvP. Instance runs get
    boring and I decided that playing a new game would be more fun at that
    point then playing WoW again with a new character.

    >While we are waiting can anyone recommend any other (free) online
    >multi-user role-play/strategy games?

    http://www.mapleglobal.com/

    Its anime cutesy, it gets boring quickly, but it is free. I got about
    two weeks of play out of it.

    or

    http://www.topshards.com/index.php

    This link will take you to a list of Ultima Online 'shards' or servers
    that you can play on for free. The UO client is also free. I am sure
    most of those server web pages will link you to the client.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 15:02:45 +0100, Isabelle Rees wrote:

    > It is indeed a very fun and addictive game, although I found my
    > interest waning after three months or so.

    WoW still lacks end-game content for those of us who are not into PvP. I
    have been at level sixty for about two months now, and well, after doing
    all the 10er and 15er raid dungeons countless times, I find myself a bit
    bored. I still enjoy Molten Core and Onyxia's Lair, but realistically I can
    do these only once or twice a week, since you need forty good people for
    that. WoW is an excellent game, but I don't see myself playing it for five
    years like UO. (That's not necessarily a bad thing.)

    M.
    --
    ClamWin, an open source antivirus software for Windows:
    http://www.clamwin.com/
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    geoffkemp05@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I enjoy playing Warcraft3 but still haven't seen World of Warcraft,
    > because it hasn't been released in the UK yet.
    >
    > Is World of Warcraft as good as the review say or is it all hype?

    Haha.. well, I'm sure some of the hundreds of thousands of people who
    have been playing WoW in the UK and elsewhere in Europe since it was
    released four months ago can answer that question. :-)

    Cheers!
    David...
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    > I enjoy playing Warcraft3 but still haven't seen World of Warcraft,
    > because it hasn't been released in the UK yet.
    >
    > Is World of Warcraft as good as the review say or is it all hype?
    >


    I'd strongly recommend it. It's the first MMORPG i've played and so far
    (2 weeks)and I'm loving it. I posted a question in these NG a few
    months back asking for the best MMORPG to play solo and WoW was
    recommended the most. If you like Morrowind, Gothic's and NWN I'm sure
    you'll love WoW. I can understand some people getting bored with the
    game after a few months but it's the journey to level 60 I'm enjoying
    not the destination. I've even got my 60 year old Dad playing it now
    and he's loving it too! I'm playing as a Hunter and intend to try other
    classes in the future. I'm also in the UK and haven't had much trouble
    with lag or annoying children.

    Badbark
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Heh, so then you're like me. These are my characters (all in different
    servers or sides)
    lvl 25 Human Warlock
    lvl 24 Undead Rogue
    lvl 23 Night elf Priest (abandoned)
    lvl 21 Tauren Druid
    lvl 19 Gnome Mage
    lvl 16 Orc Hunter (abandoned)
    lvl 12 Troll Shaman (abandoned)

    I pretty much play a different character each day and try to do quests
    in different zones than the others (although for some reason all evil
    characters tend to end up in the Barrens no matter what origin, guess
    there are not many quests of that level in other zones)
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Just as a matter of interest since you have tried so many, what
    character do you enjoy playing the most and why? Why did you abandon
    the Orc Hunter?

    Badbark
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    I enjoy them all really, depends on in what mood I am. I think my
    favorite is between Warlock and Mage.
    The ones I abandoned:
    - Priest. I like being a healer don't get me wrong, but in WoW since
    it's so solo oriented, I never found any long term groups. Basically
    it was just people asking for a healer to do a quick boss fight, and
    then group disbanded.
    - Shaman. For some reason I didn't like the totem thing, and with so
    little mana I could only cast a totem, a ranged spell and then melee
    time.
    - Hunter. It's a great class, but since I already had a warlock, and
    they play very much alike, there was no point in playing the hunter.
    They're very similar, they both have pets, and they are both ranged
    attackers. At least as a warlock I don't have to keep feeding my pets,
    and warlocks have more variety. Hunters can have like 200 different
    pets, but they are pretty much the same with different graphics (sure
    some are more tankie like bears and some are more damaging like
    raptors, but all in all, it's pretty much the same). Warlock pets are
    highly different and each better suited for different situations.

    By the way, the reason I abandoned those classes wasn't because they
    were less powerful or anything, just not my playstyle. Maybe hunters
    are 3 times more powerful than warlocks, but I just prefer warlocks.
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Nel tempo Wed, 8 Jun 2005 17:42:04 +0200, il mio fedele schiavo Wu
    desto' nel mio animo interesse sopra il conversare di Michael Vondung
    <mvondung@gmail.com>:

    >WoW still lacks end-game content for those of us who are not into PvP.

    Hm.
    Well, I want to try many of the classes, so that's not much of a
    problem to me now :)

    Parvati V
    --
    "Cosa e' celvello? Pai non ha cosa del genele" - Pai, 3x3 occhi
    UnaMoleDiDadi (TreEmme Torino)
    http://parvatiquinta.altervista.org
    IHGGera #1069, IAFa #182 ^^^
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 10:37:35 +1200, Cataleptic wrote:

    > somehow feel that
    > Blizzard is obliged to give them non-raid, non-BG content, as if Blzzard
    > has some moral obligation to perpetuate the WoW experience on into
    > eternity for any and all players.

    The point you're missing is that Blizzard gets $15 a month. Yes, if they
    want to keep getting the cash, they will need to provide more end-game
    content than they do right now. It doesn't have anything to do with moral,
    it's about providing an attractive service. If they don't, someone else
    will get the money. Your argument certainly does apply to services such as
    Guild Wars or D2, but not to real MMORPGs.

    M.
    --
    ClamWin, an open source antivirus software for Windows:
    http://www.clamwin.com/
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 9 Jun 2005 11:17:40 -0700, wolfing1@yahoo.com wrote:

    > - Priest. I like being a healer don't get me wrong, but in WoW since
    > it's so solo oriented, I never found any long term groups. Basically
    > it was just people asking for a healer to do a quick boss fight, and
    > then group disbanded.

    This changes at level 40+, and at 60 a priest can do instances nonstop if
    he so desires, as there are always more invites and inquiries than time. It
    tends to be the opposite for the other classes.

    M.
    --
    ClamWin, an open source antivirus software for Windows:
    http://www.clamwin.com/
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Didn't have the patience to get to 40. And also, I normally just like
    doing instances once. I don't really care about 'uber equipment', I
    just like exploring and adventuring. I only enjoy going through those
    dungeons once or twice, and only as long as there is challenge (I
    always leave a forming dungeon group if they decide to invite a high
    level 'friend' to make things easier)
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 00:45:15 +0200, Michael Vondung <mvondung@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 10:37:35 +1200, Cataleptic wrote:
    >
    >> somehow feel that
    >> Blizzard is obliged to give them non-raid, non-BG content, as if Blzzard
    >> has some moral obligation to perpetuate the WoW experience on into
    >> eternity for any and all players.
    >
    >The point you're missing is that Blizzard gets $15 a month. Yes, if they
    >want to keep getting the cash, they will need to provide more end-game
    >content than they do right now. It doesn't have anything to do with moral,
    >it's about providing an attractive service. If they don't, someone else
    >will get the money. Your argument certainly does apply to services such as
    >Guild Wars or D2, but not to real MMORPGs.

    Also not every players is going to be able to get to level 60 in a few weeks
    so they could still be experiencing new contents months and months from now.
    Makes you wonder why people bother to trick there way to the top with help
    from higher level friends etc. as they are only doing themselves out of teh
    enjoyments of getting there. But then again, for people like that its not the
    getting there that counts, its the fact that they are top level players and
    look down on the little people.
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 2005-06-08, Mike S <mike@nowhere.com> wrote:

    > I gave WoW a glowing review in this newsgroup back during the first
    > beta test. I really really liked it. I felt the same way about the
    > game when it hit retail. I started getting bored after three months,
    > and after four I moved on.

    I quickly left after retail and came back last month. They added
    Battlegrounds which are a great idea but the execution is piss
    poor because of the long waiting time to get into an instance. On
    Lightbringer I have to wait 30-90 minutes on a busy night. If
    it's not busy I have to wait 3-4 hours because there won't be
    enough horde to play with.

    Apart from that if you haven't played the Alterac Valley
    Battleground you haven't seen how awesome WoW is now. It's not
    just blind PvP. There are lots of quests to do *in* the
    battleground that give boons to your team.

    > But longevity (as far as MMOGs go) it does not have. But this may be
    > because, in my case, I do not care much for PvP. Instance runs get
    > boring and I decided that playing a new game would be more fun at that
    > point then playing WoW again with a new character.

    The Honor system and Battlegrounds are based around a ladder
    system that can't be "beat." You do get access to special
    equipment as you rise up through the ranks though and this is the
    carrot on the stick.
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 2005-06-09, Velk <velkarath@gmail.com> wrote:

    > MMOs have slightly different standards to traditional games.
    >
    > For example, someone suggesting that a game they played for more than
    > 500 hours lacks content is pretty typical for a MMO, regardless of how
    > absurd it seems on the face of things for a single player game.

    An MMO isn't a game it's a lifestyle. If you do go for the carrot
    on the stick and eventually eat it at level 60 you're
    done. Otherwise for people like me it's nice to log in at night
    and play until 2 am in the morning.

    More content helps make it feel fresh everytime.
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 2005-06-09, Michael Vondung <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote:
    > On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 10:37:35 +1200, Cataleptic wrote:
    >
    >> somehow feel that
    >> Blizzard is obliged to give them non-raid, non-BG content, as if Blzzard
    >> has some moral obligation to perpetuate the WoW experience on into
    >> eternity for any and all players.
    >
    > The point you're missing is that Blizzard gets $15 a month. Yes, if they
    > want to keep getting the cash, they will need to provide more end-game
    > content than they do right now. It doesn't have anything to do with moral,
    > it's about providing an attractive service. If they don't, someone else
    > will get the money. Your argument certainly does apply to services such as
    > Guild Wars or D2, but not to real MMORPGs.

    There's something like five end game raidable instances, and two
    battlegrounds. Once you've got all your epic gear you're supposed
    to try to get to the highest PvP rank. When you get there one
    hopes Hero Classes will be reeleased or more battlegrounds and
    instances.

    Seriously, what else do you expect? The only end-game content
    you're going to get is more end game content. More uber
    loot. More PvP instances. More Honor points and maybe some
    prestige classes to do another 20 levels in.
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Nel tempo 9 Jun 2005 06:14:27 -0700, il mio fedele schiavo Wu desto'
    nel mio animo interesse sopra il conversare di wolfing1@yahoo.com:

    >I pretty much play a different character each day and try to do quests
    >in different zones than the others (although for some reason all evil
    >characters tend to end up in the Barrens no matter what origin, guess
    >there are not many quests of that level in other zones)

    Evil? But the Barrens are Horde territory! :]

    Anyway, Crossroads does tend to happen in every Horde path, but it's
    not necessarily a path that you must follow.
    However, I am especially not much pleased with the quantity of Undead
    quests, especially 30+ (it might improve later as I get able to go
    into plaguelands, but right now they simply look few).

    Parvati V
    --
    "Cosa e' celvello? Pai non ha cosa del genele" - Pai, 3x3 occhi
    UnaMoleDiDadi (TreEmme Torino)
    http://parvatiquinta.altervista.org
    IHGGera #1069, IAFa #182 ^^^
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming World Of Warcraft Games Video Games