Internet/Router or Computer Problem?

sneakyazshiite

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
twitter.com
Hey guys.

Ive been having an issue lately and its getting more and more annoying as i want to watch things without interruption. For instance if im watching a gaming stream, or even youtube videos i get constant pauses. It freezes for a few seconds then resumes. This happens all the time in streams.

So first ill tell you what ive got. i ran a speedtest on testmy.net - 31down 4.3up

I have an i7 processor, Radeon HD 6xxx series GPU.

Im using google chrome. (ive tried other browsers as well. Same issue. 360p, 720p it doesnt matter. Same issue)

With this setup i can livestream with no issues, and game with no problems either. I am confused as to how i can game/stream high quality but cant watch it? Ive tried multiple streaming sites and even reset my router. I dont know what else to really do, nor have any clue what could be causing this. Id really appreciate any help or suggestions as to what it could be.

Thanks!

(PS- i didnt know what information would be relevant, if you need anything else just ask and ill edit this post)

herboren

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Run a speed test to a server not located near you (speedtest.net), these are real time statistics and then compare with what you were provisioned at (your speed package).

Secondly run a speed test to your ISP and see if your speeds match your provisioning. Report your findings to your ISP and have them run diagnostics from their side and check traffic shaping on their side as well.

In a situation like this it could be anything from wireless freq/channel interference or and infection on your computer, could be a bad port or cable. Could be a bad radio or set top box. I work for an ISP and troubleshooting this stuff takes time, to make it easier on you, run the speed test as stated above and report to your ISP.

sneakyazshiite

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
twitter.com

I live in PA and just ran a speedtest to california with the same results. 59ping, ~30down and ~4up.

Nothing seems to be wrong there?

Speedtest sites seldom show problems unless they are very severe. You are only running data for a very small period of time so it does not show problems over many minutes. A number of ISP have garbage like their turbo options that allow traffic to run at very high rates for a short period of time and then they slow you down. This option gives artificially high numbers in speedtest.

Still things like youtube and hulu have large buffers to avoid stalls even when you are getting data lose. I would be suspect of something like your flash player. I know my adblockers and script blockers have caused me video issues but in those cases I just decide I don't need to watch that site.

sneakyazshiite

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
twitter.com
Well most of my issues are on twitch.tv

I have time warner cable and i realize the thing about short bursts, makes sense =/

I do run ad block on google chrome. ill have to look at the flash player and see what it is or if it needs updated