Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Will 2 seperate modem for lan and wan work.

Last response: in Networking
February 20, 2013 7:30:40 AM

Hello
I am using wifi modem now and having real problem of its unwanted users.

I use lan to connect my pc . now my question is if i get a 2nd modem and use the 2nd one for wifi and for main modem disable wifi , can people get access to my main modem if they can access my 2nd modem ?

i have innacomm w3400v wireless modem at the moment. if there is any way to configure it to restrict unwanted users please let me know

Thanks
a b X LAN
February 20, 2013 10:40:52 AM

Unclear what you issue really is. Not allowing access to the wireless is trivial. You run WPA/WPA2 and don't tell anyone the passwords. If you need to allow open access but are still trying to protect part of the network you are going to need some form of firewall or at least a more advanced router that can run multiple networks.
m
l
February 20, 2013 9:52:11 PM

i am sorry i could not make it clear. i am not really sure how to ask this but lets try again.
i cannot actually restrict the password for myself because we are 3 people living in the place. and my isp said I have to use only their selected modems ( which all are same and dose not have good firewall.

the idea i am thinking is using the current modem as lan only and adding another modem to transmit wifi. But am not sure if the person who is going to use wifi modem can or cannot login to my lan modem. ( hope i did not make it worse because am not really sure how else to describe )
m
l
Related resources
February 20, 2013 10:41:10 PM

I would love to help you. However your terminology is very confusing. Please clarify your question.

Thankfully you did list the manufacturer and model name of the device in question. "innacomm w3400v"

That device appears to be an ADSL modem / WiFi router combination device. These combos are rarely ever a good idea. I would recommend you use a modem, and a separate router. That way when one device needs to be upgraded, the other doesn't have to go with it.

It sounds as if you have absolutely no security enabled in your modem / router for the WiFi. I would strongly recommend you obtain a copy of the users guide for the device, in whatever your native language is, and thoroughly read, and understand the directions on how to secure your device. If you are unable to do this, please hire a professional to handle your WiFi security. Having an open network puts your personal information at great risk.
m
l
February 21, 2013 10:06:09 AM

thanks for the answers.
think am going to just try my idea will see later what happens.
m
l

Best solution

February 21, 2013 4:26:54 PM

ashrafbd said:
thanks for the answers.
think am going to just try my idea will see later what happens.

You will be wasting your money, and won't be solving your problem.

A modem connects via a public line of some sort, and connects you to a remote network such as a cable internet service, or in your case, DSL. Your problem is NOT within the modem section of your device itself. Your problem is withing the WiFi / router section of the device.

I am going to restate what I said yesterday, which is...

Quote:
I would strongly recommend you obtain a copy of the users guide for the device, in whatever your native language is, and thoroughly read, and understand the directions on how to secure your device. If you are unable to do this, please hire a professional to handle your WiFi security. Having an open network puts your personal information at great risk.

You need to set up your Wireless Network so that anyone accessing it MUST have the SSID and password. Use current encryption methods such as WPA2/Personal is fine, and use a built in firewall in the router.

If your modem / router lacks ANY of these features, get rid of it. Get a dedicated modem, and a decent quality router. I am unable to verify any of this information on your device as it is not a United States market device. It appears to be Malaysia only. So again, please obtain the documentation on the device and configure it according to the documentation. If you are unable to do this, no amount of money spent on new modems, or routers will help you, please hire a professional to configure this for you.
February 27, 2013 11:19:26 PM

Best answer selected by ashrafbd.
m
l
!