Sign in with
Your question

Stuck recovering from an unexpected shutdown

Last response: in Windows 7
June 8, 2012 5:11:27 AM

My Lenovo Thinkpad T400s running 64bit win7 has been freezing recently pretty often and so I have been shutting it down by pressing shut down button. It has recovered from it before, but at some point it would get stuck at 30% recovering and then start up after a long time. Now it is stuck at 6%. Before this it got up to 14% after keeping it on for 24hours. What can I do? It won't boot up from the recovery boot media either.

Thanks in advance

Luke
June 8, 2012 5:33:36 AM

It sounds like you have a bad hard drive or a jacked up file system. Try inserting your Windows disc (unless this is what you mean by recovery boot media, in which case you need an offline Windows repair disc), boot from it, and then get into the Command Prompt from the Advanced Tools menu. At the command prompt, type "chkdsk /r X:" without the quotes whereas X is the drive letter your hard drive currently has (most likely C but the installer sometimes does funny things so it may be D. That should either fix the issue or tell you if your drive is physically going bad.

The T400s uses a small, non-standard form factor hard drive and I've had them go bad fairly often before. You can get an adapter on eBay for around $10 that will let you install a 2nd hard drive in your optical drive bay. I'd consider putting a snazzy Samsung SSD like a 128GB 830 series drive in there and using that to boot, if it's fiscally an option. Hope this helps!
m
l
June 8, 2012 1:13:23 PM

Thanks. Yea the boot media s the windows disc. I don't exactly know what an optical drive bay is and how to go about doing what you said. does that mean I need an internal hard drive or can I use an external hard drive that I currently have? It's a 2TB seagate. What is the adapter called? Thanks for your help.
m
l
Related resources
June 9, 2012 4:13:50 AM

The optical drive is your CD or DVD drive. If you can't boot from your Windows disc, you may be in trouble as that could mean that the computer itself is having real issues. Are you comfortable taking your computer apart?
m
l
June 11, 2012 11:08:58 PM

Yes I feel pretty ok about taking it appart.
m
l
!