Vampire Masquerade Redemption - tech help please!

Hi

I hope this is the right newsgroup to ask for this kind of help ;)

I'm not too good at the fighting in this game and keep getting killed
right near the beginning, so I tried to use the -console hack cheat
which is supposed to bring up a console and allow you to use god mode
etc. I don't have a lot of time to spend playing games and although I
often like the plot of RPGs, having played Baldurs Gate 1 & 2 and
others, I've often found re-fighting battles many times tedious and off-
putting eventually.

I've used these kinds of cheats before so I know how to follow the
instructions to make them work etc, trouble is, this doesn't work. I
did have a patch installed which I discovered caused the console not to
work, so I uninstalled the patch and reinstalled the game, but that
still didn't work. I have altered the shortcut target filename and
added a space and -console after the target file but nothing happens
when I press the tilde key during the game which is supposed to bring up
the box to enter commands. What is the problem with this?

BTW I'm running the game on XP if that makes any difference, these
things often seem to!

Many thanks for any help!

Lynda

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-06-10, Lynda Thornton <wuli@btinternet.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I hope this is the right newsgroup to ask for this kind of help ;)
>
> I'm not too good at the fighting in this game and keep getting killed
> right near the beginning, so I tried to use the -console hack cheat
> which is supposed to bring up a console and allow you to use god mode
> etc. I don't have a lot of time to spend playing games and although I
> often like the plot of RPGs, having played Baldurs Gate 1 & 2 and
> others, I've often found re-fighting battles many times tedious and off-
> putting eventually.

Cast blood buff when you fight. Also there's a key binding under
the controls menu for turning on and off a discipline. I agree
the plots are great but you won't get any satisfaction when you
reach the end and had to use cheats.

If you thought the initial fights were bad get ready for waves
and waves of opponents later on.

It should work.
Have you got quotes in the right place? Something like...

"C:\Program Files\Activision\Vampire - Bloodlines\vampire.exe" -console

NvR

"Lynda Thornton" <wuli@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I hope this is the right newsgroup to ask for this kind of help ;)
>
> I'm not too good at the fighting in this game and keep getting killed
> right near the beginning, so I tried to use the -console hack cheat
> which is supposed to bring up a console and allow you to use god mode
> etc. I don't have a lot of time to spend playing games and although I
> often like the plot of RPGs, having played Baldurs Gate 1 & 2 and
> others, I've often found re-fighting battles many times tedious and off-
> putting eventually.
>
> I've used these kinds of cheats before so I know how to follow the
> instructions to make them work etc, trouble is, this doesn't work. I
> did have a patch installed which I discovered caused the console not to
> work, so I uninstalled the patch and reinstalled the game, but that
> still didn't work. I have altered the shortcut target filename and
> added a space and -console after the target file but nothing happens
> when I press the tilde key during the game which is supposed to bring up
> the box to enter commands. What is the problem with this?
>
> BTW I'm running the game on XP if that makes any difference, these
> things often seem to!
>
> Many thanks for any help!
>
> Lynda

Hi

Thanks for the response. In fact after trawling forums on the web this
afternoon I discovered an alternative which is to rename an autoexec.bat
file, add the -console command and then point the shortcut to that, and
this actually worked! Also, it didn't work with the tilde key, it was
the key on the top left of the keyboard with 3 symbols on it, one of
which looks like an apostrophe - phew!

I'm now happily slicing my way through the monastery, invincible!!

Many thanks
Lynda

In article <2Aiqe.16518$%21.11551@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net>, NovaRat
<novarat@nowhere.com> writes

--
Lynda Thornton

I think that is the tilde key.

In article <Xukqe.928857$w62.15003@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
dawg <don't@look.?.att.net> writes
>I think that is the tilde key.

>"Lynda Thornton" <wuli@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> Thanks for the response. In fact after trawling forums on the web this
>> afternoon I discovered an alternative which is to rename an autoexec.bat
>> file, add the -console command and then point the shortcut to that, and
>> this actually worked! Also, it didn't work with the tilde key, it was
>> the key on the top left of the keyboard with 3 symbols on it, one of
>> which looks like an apostrophe - phew!
>>
>> I'm now happily slicing my way through the monastery, invincible!!

No, the tilde key is ~ whereas the other symbol is ` and it is the
backwards apostrophe key I have to use.

Lynda

Lynda Thornton <wuli@btinternet.com> once tried to test me with:

> No, the tilde key is ~ whereas the other symbol is ` and it is the
> backwards apostrophe key I have to use.

On US Keyboards that is the same key. It's in the top left over the TAB
key.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> once tried to test me with:

> but you won't get any satisfaction when you
> reach the end and had to use cheats.

That totally depends on the player, now doesn't it?

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 21:17:29 +0000 (UTC), Lynda Thornton
<wuli@btinternet.com> wrote:

>In article <Xukqe.928857$w62.15003@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
>dawg <don't@look.?.att.net> writes
>>I think that is the tilde key.
>

>>"Lynda Thornton" <wuli@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Thanks for the response. In fact after trawling forums on the web this
>>> afternoon I discovered an alternative which is to rename an autoexec.bat
>>> file, add the -console command and then point the shortcut to that, and
>>> this actually worked! Also, it didn't work with the tilde key, it was
>>> the key on the top left of the keyboard with 3 symbols on it, one of
>>> which looks like an apostrophe - phew!
>>>
>>> I'm now happily slicing my way through the monastery, invincible!!
>
>No, the tilde key is ~ whereas the other symbol is ` and it is the
>backwards apostrophe key I have to use.

You must not be using a US-style keyboard, as it has ` and ~ on the same
key.
--
Greg Johnson
Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.

In article <683ka1tu3nbb6tbc8t9vpm3d76o029s7so@4ax.com>, Greg Johnson
<greg.gsj@gmail.com> writes
>On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 21:17:29 +0000 (UTC), Lynda Thornton
><wuli@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>>In article <Xukqe.928857$w62.15003@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
>>dawg <don't@look.?.att.net> writes
>>>I think that is the tilde key.
>>

>>>"Lynda Thornton" <wuli@btinternet.com> wrote in message

>>No, the tilde key is ~ whereas the other symbol is ` and it is the
>>backwards apostrophe key I have to use.
>>
>You must not be using a US-style keyboard, as it has ` and ~ on the same
>key.

Hi Greg

Yes, I'm using a UK keyboard, it hadn't occurred to me that US keyboards
would be set up differently :) The tilde key on UK keyboards is on the
right above the larger of the two enter keys and it has a hash
underneath it on the same key. The backwards apostrophe or grave type
symbol is on the left, along with 2 other symbols on the same key, above
the tab key.

Thanks!
Lynda

In article <Xns9671D818F1CCknight37m@130.133.1.4>, Knight37
<knight37m@gmail.com> writes
>shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> once tried to test me with:
>
>> but you won't get any satisfaction when you
>> reach the end and had to use cheats.
>
>That totally depends on the player, now doesn't it?

It does indeed, and if I can't win the battles without excruciating
numbers of repeat fighting which I don't have time for at the moment, I
don't enjoy the game and eventually have to give up so I don't get to
the end at all! I actually get a gleeful kick in God mode, not having
to worry about topping up on blood or potions, just hack and slay ha ha!

Lynda

You did say top left hand corner? That's the tilde key on most keyboards.

In article <aM_qe.312090$cg1.9357@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
dawg <don't@look.?.att.net> writes
>You did say top left hand corner? That's the tilde key on most keyboards.

Hi

Yes on my keyboard the tilde ~ symbol is on the right and the backwards
apostrophe ` is on the upper left. I bought the computer in the UK from
a UK manufacturer, so I can only assume it's a standard UK layout.

Lynda

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-06-11, Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:
> shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> once tried to test me with:
>
>> but you won't get any satisfaction when you
>> reach the end and had to use cheats.
>
> That totally depends on the player, now doesn't it?

That's like taking the drums out of a Beatles song because you
don't like the way the drums sound. It's not intended for you to
do that.

In any case she can do what she wants. I do think there's
something else wrong if she can't play through the initial
fights. Blood buff and just use your fists. Most mobs go down in
3-4 hits.

In article <slrndarhal.1q81.shadows@helena.whitefang.com>, shadows
<shadows@whitefang.com> writes
>On 2005-06-11, Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:
>> shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> once tried to test me with:
>>
>>> but you won't get any satisfaction when you
>>> reach the end and had to use cheats.
>>
>> That totally depends on the player, now doesn't it?
>>

>That's like taking the drums out of a Beatles song because you
>don't like the way the drums sound. It's not intended for you to
>do that.
>
>In any case she can do what she wants. I do think there's
>something else wrong if she can't play through the initial
>fights. Blood buff and just use your fists. Most mobs go down in
>3-4 hits.

Heh, don't start fighting yourselves now chaps! It's probably that I'm
tired when I play and not very good at the game yet or a lot of fighting
- I'm sure I will get better and will certainly have a go out of god
mode, in fact I'm controlling Wilhelm too now and he isn't on god mode
and has survived so far!

BTW the Beatles comment reminded me of the time when I used to have a
Beatles collection on tape and discovered that I could tune out some of
the tracks with my portable stereo - it made for very interesting
listening actually! PS many people don't rate Ringo Starr as a drummer
anyway ... (no flames please)

Many thanks for all the interest in this, and my keyboard set up ;)

Lynda

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 00:54:15 +0000 (UTC), Lynda Thornton
<wuli@btinternet.com> wrote:
>Heh, don't start fighting yourselves now chaps! It's probably that I'm
>tired when I play and not very good at the game yet or a lot of fighting
>- I'm sure I will get better and will certainly have a go out of god
>mode, in fact I'm controlling Wilhelm too now and he isn't on god mode
>and has survived so far!

<SNIP>
>Many thanks for all the interest in this, and my keyboard set up ;)

Early on it can be a trial working out what disciplines to use for best
effect, but once you get a discipline combo/weapon loadout that suits
your play style you'll probably end up complaining that it's too easy,
until the end game :)

The Tremere Chantry really shows up whether or not you have a good
balanced character/party, as you face a type of attack that you have no
basic defence for, but if you're balanced you will find it a tough but
rewarding challenge.

I found that if you make it through the Chantry without too many
problems, and continue developing disciplines along those lines, modern
day is not too hard and can even become boring at some points.

Pace yourself, try to lure single targets away from groups to take them
on at your leisure, recuperate between battles, keep upgrading your
equipment when you get the chance, and try not to get swamped or led
into bigger battles than you can handle.

It may also be useful to keep saves at major stages so you can go back
if you find that you chose a development option that doesn't work for
you. Try different options, if it doesn't feel right, or forces you to
change style, you have the option to go back and try a different
development path (plus the knowledge of what you will face).

--
Alfie
<http://www.delphia.co.uk/>