Track-splitting large waveform in CEP 2.0

Last response: in Home Audio
January 18, 2005 7:29:55 AM

I have a large single mp3 waveform in CoolEdit Pro 2.0 (a entire CD) that
I'd like to split into its original tracks and burn to CD. I can manually
place cues and snap to them to individually save portions of the waveform as
tracks, but this seems awfully laborious.

Is there some way to automate and/or speed up this process? Also, does CEP
2.0 have any CD-burning functionality of its own?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
January 18, 2005 7:29:56 AM

On 17 Jan 2005, "Mark Barnes" <mark@markbarnes.com> wrote in

> I have a large single mp3 waveform in CoolEdit Pro 2.0 (a entire
> CD) that I'd like to split into its original tracks and burn to
> CD. I can manually place cues and snap to them to individually
> save portions of the waveform as tracks, but this seems awfully
> laborious.

Check out CD Wave. Splitting large wav files into CD tracks is its
specialty. It's easy to do, and has the advantage of splitting file on
the correct sector boundaries. It's available at
<http://www.cdwave.com/&gt;
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 8:32:39 AM

"Mark Barnes" <mark@markbarnes.com> wrote in message
> I have a large single mp3 waveform in CoolEdit Pro 2.0 (a entire CD)
> that I'd like to split into its original tracks and burn to CD. I
> can manually place cues and snap to them to individually save
> portions of the waveform as tracks, but this seems awfully laborious.
>
> Is there some way to automate and/or speed up this process? Also,
> does CEP 2.0 have any CD-burning functionality of its own?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Get Audition 1.5 with the integrated CD burning feature. Put in your track
marks, some 2 seconds chunks of silence between the tracks if you want it,
and burn the whole wave file as one entity.

I've been doing this with the beta integrated CD burning feature in CEP 2.1
which is no longer available.
January 18, 2005 11:49:51 AM

In article <Xns95E273E4DC7Enilch1@216.196.97.136> rednoise@REMOVETHIScomcast.net writes:

> On 17 Jan 2005, "Mark Barnes" <mark@markbarnes.com> wrote in
>
> > I have a large single mp3 waveform

> Check out CD Wave. Splitting large wav files into CD tracks is its
> specialty.

An MP3 file is not the same as a WAV file. I have a version of Nero
which allows me to divide a large WAV file into tracks on a CD (and I
have two other versions that don't provide that feature - it depends
on when I bought the CD drive that it came free with). But as far as I
know, there's no direct equivalent to tracks in an MP3 file, so the
best you can do is divide it into individual files and make a
"playlist."

I use a utility called MP3CUT (thanks, Kurt) to cut a long (like 6
hour radio program) MP3 recording into manageable chunks, but that's
usually two-hour chunks, and it creates new files at the boundaries
that I've specified. But I probably wouldn't have the patience to do
that to separate songs in, say, the live recording of a concert.

January 18, 2005 11:49:52 AM

On 18 Jan 2005, mrivers@d-and-d.com (Mike Rivers) wrote in

>> Check out CD Wave. Splitting large wav files into CD tracks is
>> its specialty.
>
> An MP3 file is not the same as a WAV file.

Oops, I missed that it was an mp3, and maybe misread what he wants to
do. If he wants to make an audio CD out of it, it has to be decoded to
wav anyway, so CD Wave is a good tool for that. If he wants to split it
to multiple mp3s and burn a data CD out of it... I don't know of a way
except to decompress the big mp3, cut, and recompress the tracks.
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 5:59:39 PM

In article <Xns95E25F67683C6nilch1@216.196.97.136> rednoise@REMOVETHIScomcast.net writes:

> Oops, I missed that it was an mp3, and maybe misread what he wants to
> do. If he wants to make an audio CD out of it, it has to be decoded to
> wav anyway, so CD Wave is a good tool for that.

I have that program but I never remember to use it. I think I use CD
Extractor to convert back and forth between MP3 and WAV files. But
maybe it's CDWave that I use. I do it so seldom I always have to
fumble around for the right utility.

> If he wants to split it
> to multiple mp3s and burn a data CD out of it... I don't know of a way
> except to decompress the big mp3, cut, and recompress the tracks.

MP3CUT allos you to mark sections of an MP3 file and save the section
as an independent file.

January 18, 2005 8:29:37 PM

Mike Rivers wrote:
> I use a utility called MP3CUT (thanks, Kurt) to cut a long (like 6
> hour radio program) MP3 recording into manageable chunks, but that's
> usually two-hour chunks, and it creates new files at the boundaries
> that I've specified. But I probably wouldn't have the patience to do
> that to separate songs in, say, the live recording of a concert.

Sounds like exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for -- I'll check it out.
Thanks!

---
January 20, 2005 4:38:21 AM

Of course, no one has asked how you ended up with such an MP3.... yo ho yo
ho.....
!