Corsair 2700 has errors in memtest86

BastardTom

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003
I recently assembled a new computer (A7N8X dlx, XP 2600+, 120GB WD w/8mb, 2 sticks of 256 Corsair 2700 cas 2) and the computer kept booting me out of stable games such as NOLF2 after 15 minutes. Someone suggested I check out my RAM for errors. So I downloaded memtest86 and tested each stick individually. No Errors were found. I then tested them together, and found (every time tested) 82-104 Errors. Is there a problem with my RAM or is it a compatibility issue?

To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human.

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
i would assume that is has an issue with dual chanel dimms. Try testing both modules, but revert your memory settings in the bios to default. Use normal ram timings and normal latencies.

Let me know what happens.

Rob

<b><font color=red>Nothin like a Pentium II furiously churning out a blistering 0.8 FPS on 3D Mark 2001!!!</font color=red></b>

BastardTom

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003
The tests I've been making have always been with BIOS settings for RAM at default, I haven't overclocked them yet to aggressive. I'm going to send the RAM back for the TWIN pack since A) It's cheaper than what I paid for the 2 individual sticks and B) They've been tested by Corsair specifically for our mobo, so I know they work correctly. I'm sure Newegg will comply with my request, they've been great so far. I'll let you know what happens in the next 2 or 3 days, I live 20 minutes from newegg, so getting new sticks shouldn't take too long.

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
I just ordered the the corsair twin-x 1024 pc 3200. I hope it will be good, what are your impressions of this ram?

<b><font color=red>Nothin like a Pentium II furiously churning out a blistering 0.8 FPS on 3D Mark 2001!!!</font color=red></b>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well that ram looks good, and testing in a DC board is a good idea. 1Gb is a massive amount!
man that will keep you happy for years!

I just hope its not a problem with your motherboard running in Dual Channel mode.

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires it and mortal men Covet it, <i>My Precioussssssss</i></b>

BastardTom

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003
I would have to agree with LHGPooBaa, that's a lot of RAM! I once added that much RAM to a dual CPU computer I built, and it couldn't handle it very well. It actually ran better with 512. Also, can I ask why you went with 3200? From all the info TOM has given on anything over 2700, wouldn't 3200 be worse? Perhaps you are thinking about future upgrade to a Barton. Let me know, because I haven't ordered my replacement RAM yet.

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
You see, i am getting a dual radiator swiftech watercool kit, I plan to push the fsb up to 400, and considering the ram will already be at that speed, I wont have to push the ram at all, it will make the task easier. So then if the ram is at 400, and the cpu is too, then i can run synchronous fsb at 400 mHz!! What are your thoughts on that? I have heard that running synchronous has a speed advantage, so i figured ratehr then drop the ram down too 333, ill cool it really well and bring the cpu up to 400.

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
You see, i am getting a dual radiator swiftech watercool kit, I plan to push the fsb up to 400, and considering the ram will already be at that speed, I wont have to push the ram at all, it will make the task easier. So then if the ram is at 400, and the cpu is too, then i can run synchronous fsb at 400 mHz!! What are your thoughts on that? I have heard that running synchronous has a speed advantage, so i figured ratehr then drop the ram down too 333, ill cool it really well and bring the cpu up to 400.

BastardTom

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003
Trixta, I am happy to report that the twin sticks are awesome and well worth your money! I just got them and they so far have been tested twice in memtest86 with zero errors, while in the blue slots and bios settings to default "optimal" position. I am currently testing them in "aggressive" and so far there are zero errors also, although the test is at 98% complete. I think my suffering is over. I hope you have good luck with yours as well.

About the 400 fsb, in theory that sounds like a good plan! I hope in practice it does not have the same fate as communism :) As far as the watercool kit, I would recommend the innovatek watercool kit, I have heard a great deal of remarks from satisfied customers and TOM suggests it is the best on the market.

Let me know what happens with your 400fsb plan, I am very interested in knowing your results

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
Hi There!

That is great news, congratulations on your success. Do you have the pc 2700 or the pc 3200 ddr? Mine is pc 3200. In your tests and bootups, have you tried manual memory timings set really agressive? I am wondering if that memory and mobo works with manual timing set fast. I hope everything works out for me... I will post my 400 fsb results... If I manage to make it to 400 with both mem and cpu, will that be truly considered synchronous???

Thanks for your time!

Rob