Sign in with
Your question

LIGHT Modding

Last response: in Components
February 8, 2003 6:44:07 PM

Hey folks,

Not sure if this is the right board for this question but here goes; what are the basic differences between LED, Neon, and Cold cathode lighting. Not for me; a friend of mine wants to do some modding on his tower. What are the pros and cons of all three?

thanks,

VAGABOND

<b><font color=blue>veni,vidi, and ended up in THGC<font color=blue></b>

More about : light modding

February 9, 2003 12:35:49 AM

Err...pros and cons? This isn't like building a computer, you just want to make it look all pretty. I dunno, I mostly use cold cathodes and tri Led fans, as well as the Antec triple blue fans

Instead of Rdram, why not just merge 4 Sdram channels...
February 9, 2003 7:02:05 AM

OK, thanks for the input.

Related resources
February 9, 2003 9:43:06 AM

Well LEDs are small and don't give extremely much light (unless you have a super bright LED). Neons get a little hot IIRC and cold cathodes not... they both give much light just like a TL lamp.
LEDs are great for sopecial effects, cathodes are good in giving much light inside the case.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek: 
February 9, 2003 10:00:02 AM

Thanks Svol,

That's what I wanted to hear. Now I can properly advice the guy. I've never done anything like this before so I want to make sure that nothing goes wrong with my first modding. He wants me to also put a window in but I already read up on that subject.

How much should I charge the guy? :wink:

<font color=blue>VAGABOND</font color=blue>

February 9, 2003 4:38:56 PM

Lol, $50 or more for "technician service!"

Instead of Rdram, why not just merge 4 Sdram channels...
February 9, 2003 4:54:29 PM

:lol:  Sounds like a good idea. Nah, I'll just do it as his birthday present. Next one though I'll definitely charge. :wink:

February 9, 2003 4:54:33 PM

Well you can charge him per hour you work on it... or for the total project.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek: 
February 9, 2003 5:34:28 PM

If I was to charge just $5.00 per hour I would've had enough to buy a brand new Geforce4Ti 4400 GPU in the last two weeks that I've serviced people's computers. Too nice a guy I guess. I just don't have it in me. I help out when I can but you have to understand, I learned what I know about 'Puters from books and Forums like THGC. I guess I'll always be a poor schmuck dreamin' his whole life about that Supercomputer that he can never afford to build. :frown:

February 9, 2003 11:00:03 PM

Just to add to your question, from my understanding, LED (light emitting diodes) are the brightest followed by Cold Cathode Flourescent lights (CCFL) then neon. LEDs are about the size of an eraser tip whereas CCFL and Neon can be around 4" to 12" tubes that are about 1/2" to 1" thick. If the CCFL tubes were compact to the size of LEDs I would still assume that LEDs would be brighter. I would go with CCLF above neon any day because they are significantly brighter and cost about the same and use the same or less wattage. You can also check out glow tape, it is about $50 for I think 6' or more. Check out www.streetglow.com. I bought this inverter so I can hook up 4 lights to it with out any trouble with the power supply. That cost about $20 but saves a lot of time and can be used for many other things.
February 10, 2003 6:11:15 AM

Thanks for the clarification.

I've read mention of inverters on certain articles. Does it plug in separately from the tower or is it going to be hooked up to the PSU? If so, isn't that an unnecessary load on the PSU? Would I have to get a bigger PSU to handle the load of light modding?

The guy I'm doing it for has a MIDI tower and I believe one CCFL tube should be more than enough to light up his board.

It's tight in there anyways.

Nice link! Too bad it's illegal here in Germany to MOD a car. People still do it. I just don't want the hassle from the cops everytime they have a hair up their a**.

February 10, 2003 6:37:29 AM

Ha thats funny, my friend is from germany, he lived near the boarder and would go to a friends place and ride their bike over the boarder to Amsterdam and holland to buy hash. Well, you know I don't know about the light adapter thingy, I am just really learning about the power and lighting setup, I thing that they have a wattage amount and then you get a standard PSU and tack on how much you thing addons will take, or at least thats my guess. If you email me in about a month I'll ket you know.
February 10, 2003 7:04:26 AM

OK well thanks but I'll most likely do my own research on this subject. I'm supposed to set it up next week.

February 10, 2003 8:30:45 PM

I deem this the Rice Thread. P\/']['4 (4$3$ (V)\/$'][' |_00|< |_337!

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti
February 11, 2003 5:32:22 AM

whatever...

February 11, 2003 3:29:06 PM

Can't you speak normal English?

February 12, 2003 3:08:55 AM

][ ][$ |_337. ][ (4|\|''][' $P34|< |\|0|2(V)4|_ 3|\|6|_][$|-| (4\/$3 ][ ][$ |_337.

- Mario Andretti
February 14, 2003 2:00:11 PM

Can you translate that please to enlight us n00bs?

February 19, 2003 4:34:53 AM

no, cause I forgot what I wrote and it'll take me a few hours to decode lol.

- Mario Andretti
February 20, 2003 3:01:53 PM

So... where are you waiting for?

February 20, 2003 3:48:20 PM

eh?

- Mario Andretti
February 20, 2003 4:15:12 PM

Go, translate it!

!