Planescape Torment - not running

My system:
Pentium 4 3.2ghz
1gb RAM
Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb
Onboard sound
Windows XP SP2
DirectX 9.0c

I'm trying to play the jewel-case version that was rereleased (it's 1.1
version). What is happening is that when I start the game I get a black
screen but I can hear the sound effects from the intro movies. Then I hear
the Planescape intro song playing. If I hit CTRL-ESC to pull up my desktop,
for a brief flash I actually see the starting screen but when I go back to
the Planescape task it's once again a dark screen. I tried 32-bit and 16-
bit color depth on the desktop and same thing is happening. Going to try
compatibility modes next.

Has anyone else had this problem and did you find a solution?

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
29 answers Last reply
More about planescape torment running

    Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> once tried to test me with:

    > My system:
    > Pentium 4 3.2ghz
    > 1gb RAM
    > Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb
    > Onboard sound
    > Windows XP SP2
    > DirectX 9.0c
    >
    > I'm trying to play the jewel-case version that was rereleased (it's
    > 1.1 version). What is happening is that when I start the game I get a
    > black screen but I can hear the sound effects from the intro movies.
    > Then I hear the Planescape intro song playing. If I hit CTRL-ESC to
    > pull up my desktop, for a brief flash I actually see the starting
    > screen but when I go back to the Planescape task it's once again a
    > dark screen. I tried 32-bit and 16- bit color depth on the desktop and
    > same thing is happening. Going to try compatibility modes next.
    >
    > Has anyone else had this problem and did you find a solution?

    It's fixed. Latest Catalyst seems to have sorted it. I wouldn't have
    thought that new drivers for such an old game would matter. ;)

    Oh, and BTW, I did try the compatibility settings but that didn't help and
    those are not needed once you have the latest Catalyst's.

    Now if I can just brave the 640x480 res of this classic... ;)

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

    On 12 Jun 2005 00:05:32 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:

    >It's fixed. Latest Catalyst seems to have sorted it. I wouldn't have
    >thought that new drivers for such an old game would matter. ;)

    Updating without breaking legacy stuff has never been a strong
    attribute of Ati drivers. Spotty or hasty QC or inaccurate
    revision-control... who knows, except Ati ? Stick with nVidia if you
    have a large collection of older games and don't want to be swapping
    drivers every time you want to play a different legacy title.

    John Lewis

    john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis) once tried to test me with:

    >>It's fixed. Latest Catalyst seems to have sorted it. I wouldn't have
    >>thought that new drivers for such an old game would matter. ;)
    >>

    > Updating without breaking legacy stuff has never been a strong
    > attribute of Ati drivers. Spotty or hasty QC or inaccurate
    > revision-control... who knows, except Ati ? Stick with nVidia if you
    > have a large collection of older games and don't want to be swapping
    > drivers every time you want to play a different legacy title.

    Maybe you didn't understand. Upgrading to the latest driver fixed the
    issue.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

    Knight37 wrote:

    > Now if I can just brave the 640x480 res of this classic... ;)

    IIRC the game can run in a window, if you
    write -w in the command line.

    Thusly Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> Spake Unto All:

    >>>It's fixed. Latest Catalyst seems to have sorted it. I wouldn't have
    >>>thought that new drivers for such an old game would matter. ;)
    >>>

    >> Updating without breaking legacy stuff has never been a strong
    >> attribute of Ati drivers. Spotty or hasty QC or inaccurate
    >> revision-control... who knows, except Ati ? Stick with nVidia if you
    >> have a large collection of older games and don't want to be swapping
    >> drivers every time you want to play a different legacy title.
    >
    >Maybe you didn't understand. Upgrading to the latest driver fixed the
    >issue.

    Yeah, but it's even odds that the next revision will break it again,
    probably in a new and interesting way.

    "Spotty QC" is putting it mildly.

    --
    "I've seen similar injuries in an individual run over by a bus"
    - Maj. Elizabeth Rouse, coroner, about one of the prisoners beaten to death

    On 12 Jun 2005 03:29:15 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:

    >john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis) once tried to test me with:
    >
    >>>It's fixed. Latest Catalyst seems to have sorted it. I wouldn't have
    >>>thought that new drivers for such an old game would matter. ;)
    >>>

    >> Updating without breaking legacy stuff has never been a strong
    >> attribute of Ati drivers. Spotty or hasty QC or inaccurate
    >> revision-control... who knows, except Ati ? Stick with nVidia if you
    >> have a large collection of older games and don't want to be swapping
    >> drivers every time you want to play a different legacy title.
    >
    >Maybe you didn't understand.

    I understood absolutely perfectly.

    > Upgrading to the latest driver fixed the
    >issue.

    And the next one may break it again.... or it may not.....
    Russian Roulette ---------- Ati-version.

    John Lewis

    On 2005-06-12, LIV <spammers@goto.hell> wrote:
    > Knight37 wrote:
    >
    >> Now if I can just brave the 640x480 res of this classic... ;)
    >
    > IIRC the game can run in a window, if you
    > write -w in the command line.

    Just tried modifying my shortcut to
    "C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Torment\Torment.exe" -w
    and it didn't run in a window.

    --
    Toby.
    field to circumvent my email filters.

    Toby wrote:
    >> IIRC the game can run in a window, if you
    >> write -w in the command line.
    >
    > Just tried modifying my shortcut to
    > "C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Torment\Torment.exe" -w
    > and it didn't run in a window.

    Sorry - bad memory :-)

    But you can read about the correct parameter
    in the readme.txt file.

    I sold the game, so I can't look it up :-)

    On 2005-06-13, LIV <spammers@goto.hell> wrote:
    > Toby wrote:
    >>> IIRC the game can run in a window, if you
    >>> write -w in the command line.
    >>
    >> Just tried modifying my shortcut to
    >> "C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Torment\Torment.exe" -w
    >> and it didn't run in a window.
    >
    > Sorry - bad memory :-)
    >
    > But you can read about the correct parameter
    > in the readme.txt file.
    >
    > I sold the game, so I can't look it up :-)

    2d. Tweaking the Torment.INI file.
    Full Screen - This defaults to 1, which denotes the game playing full
    screen. This can be changed to 0, which will make Torment run in a
    window. This feature is not supported, because many of the graphical effects
    in Torment will not run correctly while the product is running in a window.
    The performance of the product will also be less while in windowed
    mode.

    You need your screen to be in 16 bit colour mode.

    --
    Toby.
    field to circumvent my email filters.
    Ignore any mail delivery error.
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thusly Toby <google@asktoby.com> Spake Unto All:

    >> IIRC the game can run in a window, if you
    >> write -w in the command line.
    >
    >Just tried modifying my shortcut to
    >"C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Torment\Torment.exe" -w
    >and it didn't run in a window.

    Damn. Would've been awesome if it'd worked.

    --
    "I've seen similar injuries in an individual run over by a bus"
    - Maj. Elizabeth Rouse, coroner, about one of the prisoners beaten to death
    by american guards at Bagram Prison. Apparently this particular prisoner was
    innocent; it was just his bad luck that the guards found his screams hilarious.
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> once tried to test me
    with:

    > Thusly Toby <google@asktoby.com> Spake Unto All:
    >
    >>> IIRC the game can run in a window, if you
    >>> write -w in the command line.
    >>
    >>Just tried modifying my shortcut to
    >>"C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Torment\Torment.exe" -w
    >>and it didn't run in a window.
    >
    > Damn. Would've been awesome if it'd worked.

    It does work but that's now how you do it. In the torment.ini file change
    Fullscreen=1 to Fullscreen=0. I just did this and set my desktop color
    depth to 16-bits-per-pixel and it runs just great in a window and even has
    the movies supported.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 2005-06-12, Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:
    > john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis) once tried to test me with:
    >
    >>>It's fixed. Latest Catalyst seems to have sorted it. I wouldn't have
    >>>thought that new drivers for such an old game would matter. ;)
    >>>

    >> Updating without breaking legacy stuff has never been a strong
    >> attribute of Ati drivers. Spotty or hasty QC or inaccurate
    >> revision-control... who knows, except Ati ? Stick with nVidia if you
    >> have a large collection of older games and don't want to be swapping
    >> drivers every time you want to play a different legacy title.
    >
    > Maybe you didn't understand. Upgrading to the latest driver fixed the
    > issue.

    There's no need to be hostile. His point is you won't need to
    upgrade as much with an Nvidia driver as you would an ATI
    one. Heck KOTOR2 required a downgrade of the ATI driver.

    Seriously, I had this problem in the past and moving to Nvidia
    fixed the issue completely.
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 2005-06-13, Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> once tried to test me
    > with:
    >
    >> Thusly Toby <google@asktoby.com> Spake Unto All:

    >>>Just tried modifying my shortcut to
    >>>"C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Torment\Torment.exe" -w
    >>>and it didn't run in a window.
    >>
    >> Damn. Would've been awesome if it'd worked.
    >
    > It does work but that's now how you do it. In the torment.ini file change
    > Fullscreen=1 to Fullscreen=0. I just did this and set my desktop color
    > depth to 16-bits-per-pixel and it runs just great in a window and even has
    > the movies supported.

    You can't re-size the window, though. So you're still playing at
    640x480, but now it's in a tiny non-immersive window.

    --
    Toby.
    field to circumvent my email filters.
    Ignore any mail delivery error.
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thusly Toby <google@asktoby.com> Spake Unto All:

    >>> Damn. Would've been awesome if it'd worked.
    >>
    >> It does work but that's now how you do it. In the torment.ini file change
    >> Fullscreen=1 to Fullscreen=0. I just did this and set my desktop color
    >> depth to 16-bits-per-pixel and it runs just great in a window and even has
    >> the movies supported.
    >
    >You can't re-size the window, though. So you're still playing at
    >640x480, but now it's in a tiny non-immersive window.

    Double damn.

    --
    "I've seen similar injuries in an individual run over by a bus"
    - Maj. Elizabeth Rouse, coroner, about one of the prisoners beaten to death
    by american guards at Bagram Prison. Apparently this particular prisoner was
    innocent; it was just his bad luck that the guards found his screams hilarious.
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 2005-06-14, Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    > Thusly Toby <google@asktoby.com> Spake Unto All:

    >>> It does work but that's now how you do it. In the torment.ini file change
    >>> Fullscreen=1 to Fullscreen=0. I just did this and set my desktop color
    >>> depth to 16-bits-per-pixel and it runs just great in a window and even has
    >>> the movies supported.
    >>
    >>You can't re-size the window, though. So you're still playing at
    >>640x480, but now it's in a tiny non-immersive window.
    >
    > Double damn.

    The most anyone can do is double the scan lines by playing with
    the video code. That would make it twice as big.
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> once tried to test me with:

    > There's no need to be hostile. His point is you won't need to
    > upgrade as much with an Nvidia driver as you would an ATI
    > one. Heck KOTOR2 required a downgrade of the ATI driver.
    >
    > Seriously, I had this problem in the past and moving to Nvidia
    > fixed the issue completely.

    Well I haven't had issues like that. However, I've only had ATI since
    November and have only tried maybe 30 or 40 games so far. PST was the first
    game I had to do anything with the driver to make it work.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Toby <google@asktoby.com> once tried to test me with:

    > You can't re-size the window, though. So you're still playing at
    > 640x480, but now it's in a tiny non-immersive window.

    The only way it could do that is if it doubled the pixels or something. And
    so you're back to blocky graphics, you might as well just run it at 640x480
    full screen.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 2005-06-16, Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Toby <google@asktoby.com> once tried to test me with:
    >
    >> You can't re-size the window, though. So you're still playing at
    >> 640x480, but now it's in a tiny non-immersive window.
    >
    > The only way it could do that is if it doubled the pixels or something. And
    > so you're back to blocky graphics, you might as well just run it at 640x480
    > full screen.

    Maybe if you could anti-alias it. Modern games (Thief 3, Doom 3) look
    surprisingly good at 640x480 + AA.

    --
    Toby.
    field to circumvent my email filters.
    Ignore any mail delivery error.
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Maybe if you could anti-alias it. Modern games (Thief 3, Doom 3) look
    surprisingly good at 640x480 + AA. "

    AA only works on 3D games, not games with static artwork like PST.
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "Mean_Chlorine" <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

    > Yeah, but it's even odds that the next revision will break it again,
    > probably in a new and interesting way.
    >
    > "Spotty QC" is putting it mildly.

    Driver issues happen on both sides of the fence, although I prefer ATI's
    drivers for the newer games as I've had fewer issues overall.
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thusly Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> Spake Unto All:

    >Well I haven't had issues like that. However, I've only had ATI since
    >November and have only tried maybe 30 or 40 games so far.

    Try pretty much any OpenGL game, e.g. KOTOR2.

    --
    "I've seen similar injuries in an individual run over by a bus"
    - Maj. Elizabeth Rouse, coroner, about one of the prisoners beaten to death
    by american guards at Bagram Prison. Apparently this particular prisoner was
    innocent; it was just his bad luck that the guards found his screams hilarious.
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thusly Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> Spake Unto All:

    >Toby <google@asktoby.com> once tried to test me with:
    >
    >> You can't re-size the window, though. So you're still playing at
    >> 640x480, but now it's in a tiny non-immersive window.
    >
    >The only way it could do that is if it doubled the pixels or something. And
    >so you're back to blocky graphics, you might as well just run it at 640x480
    >full screen.

    Well, from an engine point of view that's true, but the graphics could
    be run at higher res. See the "Planescape torment screensaver" for an
    example of what that would look like (actually not bad at all).
    I always hope someone will hack the engine to do it.

    --
    "I've seen similar injuries in an individual run over by a bus"
    - Maj. Elizabeth Rouse, coroner, about one of the prisoners beaten to death
    by american guards at Bagram Prison. Apparently this particular prisoner was
    innocent; it was just his bad luck that the guards found his screams hilarious.
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> once tried to test me
    with:

    > Try pretty much any OpenGL game, e.g. KOTOR2.

    Any other games that use OpenGL (recent ones?) I don't have KoTOR2.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On 2005-06-17, Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> once tried to test me
    > with:
    >
    >> Try pretty much any OpenGL game, e.g. KOTOR2.
    >
    > Any other games that use OpenGL (recent ones?) I don't have KoTOR2.

    Doom 3

    --
    Toby.
    field to circumvent my email filters.
    Ignore any mail delivery error.
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Thusly Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> Spake Unto All:

    >Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> once tried to test me
    >with:
    >
    >> Try pretty much any OpenGL game, e.g. KOTOR2.
    >
    >Any other games that use OpenGL (recent ones?) I don't have KoTOR2.

    I think Doom3 is OpenGL only, but apart from that I can't think of
    any. OpenGL is dying (which is lucky for ATI, as they've never got
    their OpenGL API working right).

    --
    "I've seen similar injuries in an individual run over by a bus"
    - Maj. Elizabeth Rouse, coroner, about one of the prisoners beaten to death
    by american guards at Bagram Prison. Apparently this particular prisoner was
    innocent; it was just his bad luck that the guards found his screams hilarious.
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 02:03:16 +0200, Mean_Chlorine
    <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

    >Thusly Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> Spake Unto All:
    >
    >>Well I haven't had issues like that. However, I've only had ATI since
    >>November and have only tried maybe 30 or 40 games so far.
    >
    >Try pretty much any OpenGL game, e.g. KOTOR2.

    Plays fine. I didn't need to change my drivers at all.
    --
    Greg Johnson
    Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.

    Thusly Greg Johnson <greg.gsj@gmail.com> Spake Unto All:

    >>>Well I haven't had issues like that. However, I've only had ATI since
    >>>November and have only tried maybe 30 or 40 games so far.
    >>
    >>Try pretty much any OpenGL game, e.g. KOTOR2.
    >
    >Plays fine. I didn't need to change my drivers at all.

    Yeah, it does. With some driver revisions (not necessarily the
    newest), using some settings, some of the time.
    http://swforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=422334&forum=80
    https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=27

    --
    "I've seen similar injuries in an individual run over by a bus"
    - Maj. Elizabeth Rouse, coroner, about one of the prisoners beaten to death
    by american guards at Bagram Prison. Apparently this particular prisoner was
    innocent; it was just his bad luck that the guards found his screams hilarious.
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Toby <google@asktoby.com> once tried to test me with:

    > On 2005-06-17, Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:
    >> Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> once tried to test me
    >> with:
    >>
    >>> Try pretty much any OpenGL game, e.g. KOTOR2.
    >>
    >> Any other games that use OpenGL (recent ones?) I don't have KoTOR2.
    >
    > Doom 3

    I'll try that one. I have it but haven't installed it yet.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> once tried to test me with:

    > Toby <google@asktoby.com> once tried to test me with:
    >
    >> On 2005-06-17, Knight37 <knight37m@gmail.com> wrote:
    >>> Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> once tried to test me
    >>> with:

    >>> Any other games that use OpenGL (recent ones?) I don't have KoTOR2.
    >>
    >> Doom 3
    >>

    > I'll try that one. I have it but haven't installed it yet.

    Welp, runs fine for me so far.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

PC gaming Video Games