Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Nokia 3588i impressions?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
April 20, 2004 3:19:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Hello,

I recently added a new line of service on my account and opted for the
Nokia 3588i because I did not need any Vision bells and whistles on the
secondary line. What is the overall opinion of this phone? Does it
hold a signal well? Is it reliable as far as sms text messaging goes?
I know it is a free phone, and someone once told me that I get what I
pay for (meaning a freebie is of much lower quality)... does that apply
here?

Thanks,
Eric
April 20, 2004 10:44:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

caperenewal@webtv.net (Eric) wrote in news:24089-40854D97-772@storefull-
3235.bay.webtv.net:

> Hello,
>
> I recently added a new line of service on my account and opted for the
> Nokia 3588i because I did not need any Vision bells and whistles on the
> secondary line. What is the overall opinion of this phone? Does it
> hold a signal well? Is it reliable as far as sms text messaging goes?
> I know it is a free phone, and someone once told me that I get what I
> pay for (meaning a freebie is of much lower quality)... does that apply
> here?
>
> Thanks,
> Eric

Don't use SIMMS but the phone is as good as any Sanyo in getting and
keeping a signal and it sounds much better you do not have to search for
the sweet spot
Anonymous
April 20, 2004 11:26:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In article <Xns94D1776B09187Me@207.217.125.203>, Me <me@noopmm.com,>
wrote:

> Don't use SIMMS but the phone is as good as any Sanyo in getting and
> keeping a signal and it sounds much better you do not have to search for
> the sweet spot

It's good for getting a signal, has a bright screen, is cheap (often
free), but these days most folks prefer flip-phones where the screen and
keyboard are protected when closed.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 21, 2004 12:04:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

rmarkoff@msn.com (Robert M.) wrote:
<<It's good for getting a signal, has a bright screen, is cheap (often
free), but these days most folks prefer flip-phones where the screen and
keyboard are protected when closed. >>

Some people still prefer the candy bar phones opposed to the flip. I
like the benefit of protecting the keyboard and screen with a closed
flip, but I also like the openess of the bar-style phone when I am
driving so I don't have to mess around with opening it up.
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 12:47:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Me wrote:

> caperenewal@webtv.net (Eric) wrote in news:24089-40854D97-772@storefull-
> 3235.bay.webtv.net:
>
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I recently added a new line of service on my account and opted for the
>>Nokia 3588i because I did not need any Vision bells and whistles on the
>>secondary line. What is the overall opinion of this phone? Does it
>>hold a signal well? Is it reliable as far as sms text messaging goes?
>>I know it is a free phone, and someone once told me that I get what I
>>pay for (meaning a freebie is of much lower quality)... does that apply
>>here?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Eric
>
>
> Don't use SIMMS but the phone is as good as any Sanyo in getting and
> keeping a signal and it sounds much better you do not have to search for
> the sweet spot

Well,
from what I hear, and this is only 2nd hand so keep that in mind.
The 3588i isn't a really good phone, there have been problems with the
lock code on phones sent to customers, they don't do well on sms, and I
understand a lot of them have had to be returned under warranty.
again this is all 2nd hand, so ... but I haven't (that I remember)
heard anything good.
sorry

Jim
April 21, 2004 12:51:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote in
news:rmarkoff-1AD1FC.14263820042004@news02.east.earthlink.net:

> In article <Xns94D1776B09187Me@207.217.125.203>, Me <me@noopmm.com,>
> wrote:
>
>> Don't use SIMMS but the phone is as good as any Sanyo in getting and
>> keeping a signal and it sounds much better you do not have to search
>> for the sweet spot
>
> It's good for getting a signal, has a bright screen, is cheap (often
> free), but these days most folks prefer flip-phones where the screen
> and keyboard are protected when closed.

The flip phones are way to expensive for us pe ons that only use the
service for phone calls and nothing else
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 2:09:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In article <Xns94D18D0073393Me@207.217.125.202>, Me <me@noopmm.com,>
wrote:

> The flip phones are way to expensive for us pe ons that only use the
> service for phone calls and nothing else

I think there is one model of a Samsung flip-phone that is sometimes
free in promotions.
April 21, 2004 2:21:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"Robert M." <rmarkoff@msn.com> wrote in news:rmarkoff-
BF9B8B.17091620042004@news02.east.earthlink.net:

> In article <Xns94D18D0073393Me@207.217.125.202>, Me <me@noopmm.com,>
> wrote:
>
>> The flip phones are way to expensive for us pe ons that only use the
>> service for phone calls and nothing else
>
> I think there is one model of a Samsung flip-phone that is sometimes
> free in promotions.

But we who have been with Sprint for years can not get any promotions.
The best phones on Sprint for reception are Sanyo and Nokia
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 2:25:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Me wrote:
>
> But we who have been with Sprint for years can not get any promotions.
> The best phones on Sprint for reception are Sanyo and Nokia

If you added a second line you were eligible to get one of the better
phones at good discount, didn't they tell you about the add a sub program ?
did you do this at a store or on the phone ?

Jim
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 3:19:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 11:19:35 -0500, caperenewal@webtv.net (Eric)
wrote:
>I recently added a new line of service on my account and opted for the
>Nokia 3588i because I did not need any Vision bells and whistles on the
>secondary line. What is the overall opinion of this phone? Does it
>hold a signal well? Is it reliable as far as sms text messaging goes?
>I know it is a free phone, and someone once told me that I get what I
>pay for (meaning a freebie is of much lower quality)... does that apply
>here?

I used a 3588i for several months. The reception (receiving signal)
was outstanding. The transmission, on the other hand, wasn't as good.
Many times people I'm talking to say I'm breaking up, and I can hear
them clear as a bell.



----------------------------
To email me, remove the zz.
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 3:25:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In article <Xns94D19C4692B0AMe@207.217.125.202>, Me <me@noopmm.com,>
wrote:

> But we who have been with Sprint for years can not get any promotions.
> The best phones on Sprint for reception are Sanyo and Nokia

Sounds like someone trolling. That is patently untrue.
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 4:54:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

> this is only 2nd hand so keep that in mind.
>The 3588i isn't a really good phone,

My son's girlfreind has one and has had absolutly no problems of any kind with
it. It works well and gets reception almost a s good as my Samsung SCH-8500
(which all CDMA phones should be judged by). As a teen ager hers has been
dropped and mishandled a lot. I have used it and sound quaity is great and
volume level in the ear peice is as good or better than the 3595 that I also
have. I have to turn both of these phones down most of the time.

So get it, I don't think the the OP will be disappointed.


--
John S.
e-mail responses to - john at kiana dot net
April 21, 2004 5:02:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Eric wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently added a new line of service on my account and opted for the
> Nokia 3588i because I did not need any Vision bells and whistles on the
> secondary line. What is the overall opinion of this phone? Does it
> hold a signal well? Is it reliable as far as sms text messaging goes?
> I know it is a free phone, and someone once told me that I get what I
> pay for (meaning a freebie is of much lower quality)... does that apply
> here?
>
> Thanks,
> Eric
>

Good RF performance, decent earpiece, good mic, good keypad, fidgety
directional control/softkey layout. Overall, good phone.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this handset cripped with the
Sprint firmware, and otherwise browser equipped and 3G capable?
!