FTP access to an Apache Server

G

I should start off with -- I have limited experiance with Linux and Apache. I'm learning though -- I setup my first Apache server on RH 7.2 last night and got my test page to to come up so for a short while I was VERY proud of myself. That all came crashing down this morining though. I want to setup the server to accept FTP connections to update the published web site. This server I setup is on my local network and is for learning purposes only.

I have the Wrox book 'Professioinal Apache' and this got me up and running last night. However the author doesn't touch on the FTP question. (and to be honest he shouldn't have too, I would have been nice though.)

I have wu-ftpd installed and I have kwuftpd also. I have read the man and howto pages for wu-ftpd and the help file that came with kwuftpd. I feeel like Homer Simpson.

My question--What do I do to get FTP up and running for my basic web site. I don't want anything fancy-this will NEVER be a working site. I'm so lost I don't even know what specific questions to ask. How about some links to true idiot help guides on this subject.(The man and howto and help systems assume I know more than I do.

Thanks for your help

Ryan

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Try using webmin. It should be easy to configure....hopefully.

You should probably also look into SSH instead of ftp because of security concerns.

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

mathew75

Distinguished
May 25, 2002
when you install ftp server, it is usually configured (actually, there is not so much things to configure), you just need to enable it (in /etc/inet.d or /etc/xinetd.conf/ - dont't forget to restart the service)

G

You first should look at your xinetd file which can be found in you root file, you have to turn on ftp in you xinetd file, but as the other guy was saying, I would concider using SSL for security reasons, ftp can be tricky to make run right.

I ran a Red Hat www server for 2 years form home until AT&T started dhcp for addressing, that will put an end to running a web server quickly.

Ftp is turned off by default for securiy in Red Hat Linux.

David C. Atkin

zazoo

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2001
well at risk of repeating what's already been said i'll be brief but basically setting up an FTP server is simple. First off, make sure the xinetd ftp file has enabled access.
The file of interest to you here is
/etc/xinetd.d/wu-ftpd
you should edit this file so it looks like this:
service ftp
{
disable = no
socket_type = stream
wait = no
user = root
server = /usr/sbin/in.ftpd
server_args = -l -u007 -a
nice = 10
}

Then, to enable anything that was changed type:
/etc/init.d/xinetd restart
You should now be able to access your ftp server from anywhere on the network/internet.
and, of course, all things here must be done as root.

Zazoo.