KOTOR II -- What do you all think of Kreia as a character?

I have noticed that some people did not like her character. Do you
agree? I'm not talking about her battle prowess here, in her I was
interested in other things.

I thought she was a great change, and a deeper than usual character.
She was neither good or evil like most of the star wars characters that
wield the force.

I always play the light side, tirelessly trying to display acts of
kindness.

I liked how she pointed out the error in that approach on Nar Shadah
with that begger who meets unexpected ends.

She had great dialogue, at times rivaling irenicus from BG2, certainly
in substance, if not delivery.

Anyway, of the three main philosophies -- Sith -- Jedi -- Hers -- I
thought hers was the most intersting take. I thought she was a great
teacher in the game.

So, again, I liked her, did ANY of you?

"ubuu7" <madsci@ucla.edu> wrote in message

> I have noticed that some people did not like her character. Do you
> agree? I'm not talking about her battle prowess here, in her I was
> interested in other things.
>

> I thought she was a great change, and a deeper than usual character.
> She was neither good or evil like most of the star wars characters that
> wield the force.
>

> I always play the light side, tirelessly trying to display acts of
> kindness.
>
> I liked how she pointed out the error in that approach on Nar Shadah
> with that begger who meets unexpected ends.
>

> She had great dialogue, at times rivaling irenicus from BG2, certainly
> in substance, if not delivery.
>
> Anyway, of the three main philosophies -- Sith -- Jedi -- Hers -- I
> thought hers was the most intersting take. I thought she was a great
> teacher in the game.
>
> So, again, I liked her, did ANY of you?

I disliked her strongly, and from an role-playing perspective all of my
characters disliked her as well. She was basically insulting and
opinionated. Her flashes of interesting insight didn't make up for the fact
that most of the time she was either long-winded or annoying and insulting.
And a character who had been around as long as the Exile had really didn't
need such a condescending teacher. And every time you even try to make her
stop being so unexplainably and unreasonably mean to everyone else she gets
pissed off at you. Her atttitude made it hard for any of my characters to
want to listen to her long enough to learn anything. And the beggar scene
(spoiler here) ends similarly on the DS, leaving you with the idea of "what
the hell am I supposed to do?!?".

I've recently replayed KOTOR I a couple of times, and Jolee made a far
better mentor than Kreia did.

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-06-13, Allan C Cybulskie <allan.c.cybulskie@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> I disliked her strongly, and from an role-playing perspective all of my
> characters disliked her as well. She was basically insulting and
> opinionated. Her flashes of interesting insight didn't make up for the fact
> that most of the time she was either long-winded or annoying and insulting.
> And a character who had been around as long as the Exile had really didn't
> need such a condescending teacher. And every time you even try to make her
> stop being so unexplainably and unreasonably mean to everyone else she gets
> pissed off at you. Her atttitude made it hard for any of my characters to
> want to listen to her long enough to learn anything. And the beggar scene
> (spoiler here) ends similarly on the DS, leaving you with the idea of "what
> the hell am I supposed to do?!?".
>
> I've recently replayed KOTOR I a couple of times, and Jolee made a far
> better mentor than Kreia did.

I didn't think Jolee cared. He was just in it for the ride.

If you went lightside at least Kreia, compared to the Jedi
Masters, didn't want you destroyed. She just wanted to make you
strong.

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

"Allan C Cybulskie" <allan.c.cybulskie@yahoo.ca> wrote in message

> I disliked her strongly, and from an role-playing perspective all of my
> characters disliked her as well. She was basically insulting and
> opinionated. Her flashes of interesting insight didn't make up for the
> fact
> that most of the time she was either long-winded or annoying and
> insulting.
>
> I've recently replayed KOTOR I a couple of times, and Jolee made a far
> better mentor than Kreia did.

Jolee's ambiguity was mildly annoying for me but I kept around him because
he
was useful for support in combat. Kreia OTH was a character I strongly
disliked - I could see Obsidian were trying to make her interesting and
thought provoking
but IMO they failed - I could tell she was going to turn out to be the
villain and spent most
of my time ignoring her or looking for an opportunity to kill her. Obsidian
didn't really try to
make a new story just a retread of Kotor 1 - I replayed Kotor 1 after
finishing Kotor 2 and
its a far superior game.

I too liked Kreia as a complex "realistic" character. Annoying, but
realistically so.

On 12 Jun 2005 23:11:55 -0700, "ubuu7" <madsci@ucla.edu> wrote:

>So, again, I liked her, did ANY of you?

Yep - I really liked her. Very well written, and a great counterpoint
to any pure good or evil character.

And what's with all the carrots ?

shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote:
> On 2005-06-13, Allan C Cybulskie <allan.c.cybulskie@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>
>> I've recently replayed KOTOR I a couple of times, and Jolee made a far
>> better mentor than Kreia did.

I haven't played KOTOR2 yet, but I really liked Jolee in KOTOR1.

> I didn't think Jolee cared. He was just in it for the ride.

He cared enough to leave the ride once you finally choose the
dark side.

mcv.

In article <slrndar456.1q32.shadows@helena.whitefang.com>,
shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote:
> If you went lightside at least Kreia, compared to the Jedi
> Masters, didn't want you destroyed. She just wanted to make you
> strong.

Yes, many times in KOTOR II, I found myself asking "What does Kreia
really want?" That I ask myself this question is a strong indication
that the first 2/3 of KOTOR II was really well written. It's a shame
it fell apart in the end.

Ultimately, I think she wants your character to embrace power. But,
she is too blinded by her exposure to the dark side to understand that
"a small army of loyal Jedi" is a kind of power.

One of the things that frustrates me about KOTOR (in both versions)
and many other RPGs: the character's replies are always so
shallow. When my light side master confronted Bastila at the end of
KOTOR, and she accused him of being a pawn of the Jedi Council, I
wanted to reply,

Bastila, no one is a pawn. Nothing takes away free will, not even
the Force. You can neither credit nor blame the Jedi council for
your choices.

Sadly, that was not an available response.

Rick R.